Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• srinaldisrinaldi Member Posts: 22
    The S plan is the ability to buy at invoice through a work program that is somehow related to Mazda.
  • btown1211btown1211 Member Posts: 9
    I didn't have the pricing sheet in front of me when I typed that up - I transposed the 7 and the 2. (Kind of a big difference there...) :blush:

I also didn't include destination charge in my calculation, which you have to pay for but I didn't really consider part of the price of the car, since it's not something tangible and doesn't show up on the S-plan pricing sheet except as a footnote. So after all of that's accounted for I have the same numbers as you.

Regardless - it's a great deal and I didn't have to negotiate, which is what I absolutely hate about car buying.

The S-Plan is basically a program where the customer pays the dealer invoice price on the car. So the dealers don't lose out, Mazda will reimburse the dealer for a certain portion of the difference between the invoice price and MSRP on the vehicle. It's a win-win-win because Mazda gets the sale, and the dealer gets a known profit, and the customer gets a good deal. The dealer and Mazda still make money on it, though I'm sure Mazda takes a small hit on their margin and the dealer doesn't get full sticker (though they probably wouldn't anyway - especially if they're dealing with srinaldi). ;)

I believe the "S" stands for "Supplier" as in Supplier Pricing. My wife works for a state university which buys whole fleets of vehicles from Ford, and Ford owns a third of Mazda, hence the S-Plan pricing for university employees. It's just a marketing deal designed to keep the big purchasing partners coming back to Ford to buy their fleets, and to hopefully get the employees to buy Ford/Mazda vehicles. The corrollary for Ford vehicles (and other divisions like Land Rover & Volvo) is called X-Plan.
  • jodonyjodony Member Posts: 4
    Folks, one dealier in CT told me that there are simply no CX-9 FWD models in stock in the entire Northeastern US... either in Sport, T or GT versions. Mazda's online inventory seems to confirm that. Any insights on that? I am not so hot on sinking $1,200 or so on an option that we may use a few times a year at best. Thanks!
  • jg6jg6 Member Posts: 70
    Don't believe the dealer BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fitzmall.com has a Sport and GT in FWD.

Took about 30 seconds to find...........
    Don't buy it, shop around. I wanted a GT FWD in Copper Red with tan and the bose/sunroof. Dealer found one at another dealer less than 2 hours away and did a dealer trade. Had it in a couple days. And that was looking for a specific color and options.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    one dealier in CT told me that there are simply no CX-9 FWD models in stock in the entire Northeastern US... either in Sport, T or GT versions. Mazda's online inventory seems to confirm that. Any insights on that?

Yoru dealer is not telling you the truth.... Re-check the locater....they are limited but I'm looking at two fwd sports right now in CT.
    CX-9 Grand Touring FWD with Moonroof/Bose pkg. in Seattle area.

First at $100 over Edmunds invoice price, second one at invoice price.

That will be pretty hard for the other dealers who respond to beat..........
  • ocalaocala Member Posts: 11
    Newbie questions.
    I have done a thorough search around the central Florida area. I am looking for a GT or touring with Nav + entertainment. I can't find any.

Can the dealer install this option after factory?

Do I try to get him to search all over?

I'm trying to accumulate all info before I dive headfirst into the dealership. I want to sign and drive, and can't wait for a long shipment.
    Thanks.
    I do believe that the DVD option can be installed at the dealership. However, I don't think that you can get the DVD with the moonroof. At least that's what I was told when I was shopping around. Not so sure about whether you can get the nav system post-factory.
    The dealer's trying to sell me on some auto finish protection, called Auto Armor. Here's the URL:
    http://www.ecpinc.net/protective%20coatings/procoats06.pdf

Is this worth an extra $300? I'm leaning toward not buying it. Seems like a rip off...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,123
    Just say no...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

NO, save your money.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    Waste of money. These "protectants" are marketed heavily to dealers in order to increase dealer profit. The exterior protectants are nothing but a fancy wax (typically contains some sort of Teflon), and come with a very detailed warranty that you must follow to the letter (you might have to reapply several times). The interior protection is nothing but a coating (it is not chemically bonded), so it will rub off over time.

By the way, automotive manufacturers are VERY diligent in using plastics/paints that are UV resistant, and for the most part acid rain resistant. Here's what the EPA has to say about the cost of that paint:

"To reduce damage to automotive paint caused by acid rain and acidic dry deposition, some manufacturers use acid-resistant paints, at an average cost of $5 for each new vehicle"

Yep, $5 worth of paint that already protects you. And the dealer wants to charge you $300...lol!
  • buffalo78buffalo78 Member Posts: 36
    Anybody having an issue locating a certain model only to be told by the dealer that certain states have new emission control issues that prevent the dealer from getting a car from another state?
    Went to the dealer the other day to find a Touring AWD, white with the black leather and bose/moon roof only to be told that there weren't any even second color choice of platinum. When I told him that I found one on the Mazda web-site in Detroit he gave me the new emissions standards line and that they won't even go to PA to get a car and I'm in NY. But they will go to MA or CT to get one. Any truth to the this or do they just not want to find the vehicle.
    Thanks for the help!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,123
    Probably the truth.. There are five states (I think), that have higher standards for emissions..

California, Mass, NY, CT... and .... someone help me out here... lol..

Some vehicles are 50 state legal, and others have to use special equipment to meet the regulations in those five states.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• buffalo78buffalo78 Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for the reply. Guess I'm gonna have to wait a while then to get the vehicle I want. :(
    Thanks! I did indeed refuse the paint treatment. Seemed really silly - the salesman didn't push it after I said "no," indicating to me that he didn't really believe in the product either.

Just picked up the car last night - GT, FWD w/ moonroof & Bose Centerpoint system in Sparkling Black Mica w/ black interior. :shades: It's a beauty!

Fun to drive, and that stereo kicks butt! HUGE upgrade from my '98 Chevy Cavalier w/ 5-speed manual and AM/FM cassette.
  • laker34laker34 Member Posts: 27
    Congrats! Please post pictures!
  • sellstar1sellstar1 Member Posts: 19
    Have driven a 9 a couple of times. The wife and I have decided thats the vehicle we want over a Pathfinder and GMC. Anybody bought a CX9 in GA? Having seen prices from around the country I'm curious how the ATL area stacks up in pricing. Also, I'm seeing truck loads of the new Hyundai Veracruz every day coming out of Alabama into ATL. Guess they're close to going to market full steam.
    Don't know about GA but I am special ordering a GT FWD with Bose/Moonroof for $32,000 ($324 under invoice, $35,030 MSRP) to get the color/interior I want.
  • mannymrmannymr Member Posts: 2
    Well "bought" is perhaps too strong a word, but we put a deposit down on a GT AWD in the Pearl White with towing package, remote starter, convenience package, moonroof and autodimming/homelink mirror.

Paid invoice (using our S pricing) and are trading in our 2000 MPV for about auction price (which is fair).

Now we'll see if we can actually get this vehicle as our guys need to do a dealer trade. Got my fingers crossed to see if they can do this baby.
  • sgtrock2sgtrock2 Member Posts: 7
    Have decided to pull the trigger on a CX-9 GT AWD, looking for what others are paying or have been offered and dealership experience, thanks!
  • laker34laker34 Member Posts: 27
    That's a great deal! What area of the country do you live in?
    Seattle area.
  • sheributtsheributt Member Posts: 9
    You are right. Some dealerships can add the DVD. If you have the moonroof pkg, you cannot have the entertainment center from factory. But there are always other options, like the headrest DVD screens aftermarket if you have to have the moonroof.

Not only that, if and when you trade the CX-9 in, you can take out the headrests. Or you can get others to move around from car to car.....great with a rental car.

Just a thought. :)
  • southpaw75southpaw75 Member Posts: 33
    Not sure were you are at but a dealer in Madison and a dealer just west of Milwaukee offered GT AWD at invoice. They are a bit pushy on getting the sale completed but I'm waiting on the exact color/options that I want.
    Here's a funny story - I had to drop a friend off at the local Nissan / Subaru dealership, where his car was in for repairs. As I pulled into the lot with my new CX-9, all the salesmen in the lot came over and started drooling on my new ride. A couple of them asked if they could look inside and were complimenting me on my purchase. I have to say - I agree with them. Mazda did a great job - fit and finish are those of a much more expensive vehicle, and I love the way it drives.

I'd post pictures but I'm not sure how to do that...
  • remmibremmib Member Posts: 32
    I've read 3-4 months wait from this forum, the dealer told me 6-8 weeks, which I find hard to believe. Any owners out here received the CX-9 you ordered? If so, what's the acutal wait time?
    Seems fairly obvious.

The wait time depends on whether the car has to be built and transported from Japan, or that exact vehicle was built before the order and is on the way all ready by boat, or whether there is an exact match all ready at one of the ports.
    Would gladly travel for an invoice deal. Checked the Mazdausa site for inventory, showing a number of GT's in the pearl white color, but didn't see any with the power liftgate. Ran some lease numbers and Mazda must be running a lease special, the payments were coming out sub $400 range on an invoice deal.
  • remmibremmib Member Posts: 32
    Seems fairly obvious.

The wait time depends on whether the car has to be built and transported from Japan, or that exact vehicle was built before the order and is on the way all ready by boat, or whether there is an exact match all ready at one of the ports.

My assumption for ordering is to build from scratch as
    I read someone posted they will get at a VIN # sometime after they order. If dealer could locate one at a port or on the boat, I wouldn't think that's considered as "ordering"? Or is that the way how it works? You place an order, the dealer will just find one that fits, instead of submitting a factory build from scratch order?
    Anyway, the dealder said the color/option combinations that I want cannot be located within the entire california, but if I order, it'll typically take 6-8 week. I am not convinced....
    Number 1: The dealer doesn't find you a car at the port or on the boat, Mazda Corp. does. The dealer places the order with Mazda.

Number 2: You get a VIN when Mazda either finds a car at the port, locates one enroute or when it is put in the production run.

You don't know until after the order is placed. Let the computers do their work.

Mine was ordered on Monday by the dealer.
    sgtrock - I don't think they've received any GTs with the power liftgate yet. I'm sure that is why they are selling what they have at invoice. They want to make some room for those that will have the liftgate.
    There is a GT Pearl White at Hall Mazda in Brookfield. Did you check that one out on mazda website?
    Yes, I saw that one, have solicited a number of inquires to varies dealers, would like the pearl white but am flexible on colors. Power lift gate is no longer an issue, wife had no problems opening/closing it.
    sgtrock - Doug Schultz is the internet manager there. He quoted me a higher price and money factor originally but I talked him down to invoice and .00088 MF on 27 month/15k per year lease.
    Thanks for the info southpaw, haven't heard anything back from them. What model CX9 did you get?? and do you know the residual rate?? thanks for the help.
    I haven't actually leased yet. Waiting on the one I want. Residual for 27/15k per year is 62% and 39/15k is 53%. Those may change as of April
  • wareverwarever Member Posts: 28
    I had been looking at the CX-9 and also at the Lexus RX350. On both, I looked at the AWD with NAV. I forget the exact details, but I was getting a couple thousands off MSRP on the CX-9. You may be able to do better.

Comparing a 39 month lease for the CX-9 (because it has only a 36 month warranty) versus a 48 month lease on the Lexus (because it has a 48 month warranty) with the same drive-off ($2,500) and 12K miles/year on both, the lease on the Lexus came out about $11 LESS than the CX-9 (even though it is for a MUCH more expensive vehicle - $45,706 MSRP for the Lexus).

The Lexus had everything the Mazda did and then some - with the exception of the keyless entry which I thought was very cool. The Lexus has better mileage, much better acceleration, and better braking. The Mazda has a little more cargo space and that third row of seats.

I really didn't think it made sense to LEASE the CX-9 versus the RX350. If I were BUYING, then you certainly get a whole lot more for the money in the CX-9 (getting similar features for less money).

My final decision, as it turned out, was that I didn't think it a good idea to BUY; it costs more every month, I get a better tax break for a lease (mostly business use), and I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep a low MPG SUV for that long with gas prices going as crazy as they are. In a lease, I could get a different vehicle in 4 years but with a purchase, I'd be stuck in it for 8-10 years (or wind up paying MORE than a lease).

I actually ended up leasing a hybrid - the Lexus RX400h. The AWD with Mark Levinson wound up costing me about $74 more than the RX350 AWD - and with the gas savings of about $45 a month, that meant really only $30 a month more for the hybrid (over the gas version).

I do like the CX-9, though... don't think that I'm badmouthing it because I'm not. I actually like the looks of it a bit better than the Lexus. But I just wanted to let people know that there might be an alternative that you might not have thought about if you're planning on LEASING a CX-9.
    Received a quote on a CX9 AWD Grand Touring crystal white mica peal with the Navigation package, sunroof/Bose, trailer package, roof rack, compass/auto dim mirror with homelink for $36,591. Also received a quote from another dealer for the same vehicle but he would include mudguards, remote start and the Sirrius radio package for the same price. The mazda 27 month lease is actually less expensive than the 39 month lease, higher residual value, waiting on exact lease payments before deciding.
    Something to watch out for in comparing lease costs is the ACTUAL cost over the term of the lease.

Most people neglect to think about that "cap cost reduction" or the "lease acquisition fee" or "lease termination fee" at the end. Or any other fees like doc fees.

The problem with a shorter lease - even at the same monthly payment - is that those added fees have to be figured in as well and since it is a shorter period, it adds more. For instance, if you're putting down $1400 as a cap cost reduction and $400 as a lease acquisition fee, that's a total of $1800 you're paying "up front" that you've got to add to your payments to figure out what it is REALLY costing you. Over 27 months, that $1800 is really another $66.67 a month - that you paid up front instead of every month. Over 39 months, that's $46.15 a month.

What that means is that if a 27 month lease is $20 a month less than a 39 month lease, they're actually the SAME effective payment per month (total cost of lease divided by the period).

Mercedes is great about hiding the real cost of a lease. They'll advertise $399 a month payments for 27 months but if you read the fine print, it might be $6,000 drive-off (which translates to a REAL cost of roughly $620 a month).

People also tend to forget about sales/use tax which gets added to the lease payment every month. So while a manufacturer might quote a special lease of $399 a month, if the local sales tax in your area is 8.25% (it is here in CA where I live), you'll end up paying $32.92 a month in sales tax for a total monthly payment of $431.92.
    The lease payments quoted by the second dealer did not agree with the payment quoted at the Mazdausa site. We both went through the same process of building the car with the exact options, entered the same selling price and cap reduction amount and this payment was approximately seventy dollars a month less then the dealers F&I payment. He called Mazda credit and they explained that there is no money factor used at the Mazdausa site, how can you determine a lease without it?? sounds like a scam to me.
    Funny, when I was at Tustin Mazda (in Tustin, CA) and got a quote on the CX-9, I asked them for the specifics... MSRP, residual, term, cap cost reduction, fees, and money factor. All the stuff you need to calculate the payment.

Funny how the salesman looked like a deer in the (Xenon HID) headlights.

Eventually, one of the sales managers came by with the figures. It didn't match up with what I calculated - and not by a few dollars, either. It wasn't off as much as you mentioned, but something like $30 or $40 a month or something.

I just figured that they were lying to me somewhere about the figures... perhaps the money factor they were telling me was the REAL money factor but they were bumping it up to come up with the payments, thinking that most people wouldn't know they were lying.

That was also part of the reason NOT to get the CX-9.
    Have received a few more email responses for price quotes. They range from $2200 off MSRP to invoice cost; and less. Waiting for actual payment amounts to compare to the first dealer. Like warever said, I believe they are taking a smaller front end gross; on the sale of the car, and making it up on the back end; in F&I by bumping the money factor. Bottom line, no one should be paying MSRP for this vehicle, at least not in the Minnesota & Wisconsin market.
    All I know is with 15k miles per year, Mazda Credit's MF is .00088 on 27 months and .00137 on 39 months. Any more than this and you are paying extra $$$ to the dealer.
  • sellstar1sellstar1 Member Posts: 19
    Quoted $1K under invoice this weekend on CX9. Anybody else seen this? Expires Monday night according to dealer. But a $399 dealer fee? Too much. If they're doing this 60 days into market can a $5K rebate be far behind? Or zero percent financing?
  • steevosteevo Member Posts: 389
    ITs time to start a Lease Questions ask here topic...
    Someone(Car_Man?) have the April MF and Residuals with 15,000 per on GT model?
    Thanks!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi, the Mazda CX-9 Lease Questions discussion is already here. We have a more general lease questions discussion on the Smart Shopper board.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• steevosteevo Member Posts: 389
    Thanks!
    Strange, that topic isnt showing up in the list under Mazda CX-9...maybe because no recent activity?? Anyway, you can delete this if you want.
  • jvostjvost Member Posts: 37
    I'm having the hardest time getting consistent information on the money factors. Many other message boards have the MF at .00138 on 27 mo. leases and .00187 on 39 mo. leases. Is it possible that they are offering different money factors on different vehicles (i.e., FWD vs AWD)? Or varies by region?

I'm in Colorado looking for a AWD GT w/nav.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Good catch! Fixed it.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews