Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Nissan Altima Coupe

Hi, Do anyone have any information on the 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe? I saw it at the Los Angeles Car Show, and I really do like it. When will it be available?

Comments

• maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    ...on www.nissanews.com.

But to sum it up. The Coupe is available in S and SE trims...has the 6MT and CVT transmission available. Will make the same horsepower as the Altima sedan counterpart and will share it's interior.

It's slightly shorter and has a smaller wheelbase and it goes on Sale this Summer.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Does it not look strikingly like the Infiniti G Coupe? Wonder if it would canibalize sales from the G Coupe to some degree? :confuse:

The Skyline GT-R also seems to share similar styling theme. With the Z car included, Nissan/Infiniti would end up with several models that overlap each other somewhat, IMO.
  • twaintwain Posts: 185
    The Altima coupe is a wonderful bargain for those who don't need the status symbol of an Infiniti.

IMO, it's already made the Maxima irrelevant.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Posts: 1,986
    I dunno 'bout that, twain.

If they had taken the 350Z and effectively offered a 2+2 version, which is what the G35 coupe is, I'd agree, and assuming all other things being equal, and some decent styling, I'd look at it seriously.

But as is, specificaly as a FWDer, it doesn't interest me as an alternative to the G coupe (which I prefer to anything else Nissan makes). Subjectively, also, I think that though it's styled in a very familiar way, the final execution is nowhere near as sleek or even corherent as the G. To me it has detailing where it doesn't need it.

Taken on its own, though, I think it's a very nice offering.
    Perhaps the Altima coupe is targeted at the buyers who only want to look sporty, but couldn't care less about ultimate performance. But I wonder if that is too narrow of a market segment. But as twain said, there is too much overlap between the Maxima and the Altima, coupe and sedan. (I know Maxima doesn't have a coupe). IMO the new Altima looks better than the Maxima. I know if I'm spending my own money, I would buy a fully-loaded Altima over the Maxima, and pocket the difference in $$. :shades:
    "Perhaps the Altima coupe is targeted at the buyers who only want to look sporty, but couldn't care less about ultimate performance."

Find nailhead; hit it with big hammer!

That's a major bingo. I think the niche may be bigger than you think, though. An awful lot of mfrs exited the personal coupe category over the years, or else executed it so poorly they were forced out.

I think there's room, and they did a nice job coming up with something to fill it.

I don't care much for this gen Max, personally. I find it ungainly, and way too big for a daily driver...
  • First off i like the idea nissan is having with a coupe, i think it will sell very well. How can you compare the G35 to the altima coupe? Its not even in the same range. But since some of you are knocking off this car, think about this. A 2007 Infiniti G35 (very good looking car) has 307HP@ $35,000-good price for a sports car. Now, the Nissan Altima Coupe has 270HP@$25k-26k. Do the math 307-270=36! $15,000 more for 36HP??!!! No thank you! Im not saying the altima coupe is better than the G, but if your in a budget it wouldnt hurt to look at Coupe. Also, please dont knock cars that you havent test driven yet. It like booing a movie that hasnt been released! (my 2 cents)
    But who's knocking anything? I know I wasn't. Saying the Altima coupe looks similar to the G coupe is not knocking it. Actually probably complimenting it. I was just wondering if there is a sufficient market for it. If anything, I guess the Maxima is being knocked.
    the car? Looks like a good deal in a class that isn't all that expansive in scope these days.

As a personal driving choice, I most certainly can knock FWD in favor of RWD, and I feel pretty comfortable in that, but that isn't about the car itself, just about options in the marketplace for the kind of driving experience one wants.

Really not about horse count either. Awful lot more factors than power that separate the two...
  • 1) How much will the 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe cost?

2) What is a cool 2008 sports car that will cost less than 27,000?
  • I will be interested in the altima coupe if its front wheel drive. I live in the northeast. Rear wheel drive just won't cut it here especially when the car is low too. I realize sports car people only believe in rwd, which is fine if you either have two vehicles or live in a non-snow area. Sporty and with fwd will fit the bill for me.

I had a Dodge Stealth that was just great to look at (engine, well that was another issue!!) and it was terrific in the snow with front wheel drive. It was fast and handled really well. So time will tell with the sales!!
    The Altima Coupe is FWD, is it not, since the sedan is FWD?
  • You are correct. It is FWD, I looked at the specs. Sorry should have done that first,head slap!!!
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Yup FWD, it'll be competing with the FWD cars such as the Accord Coupe, Eclispe, Avenger (or whatever DC is putting out that's coupe/FWD) etc.

Should be a nice vehicle.

-mike
  • tianoogletianoogle Posts: 3
    Man, your maths sucks.
  • imkramerimkramer Posts: 26
    Yes, his math sucks. But your spelling isn't any better. ;)
  • Is there any information on the capacity of the new CVT in the 2008 Altima Coupe per it's limits to handle HP and Torque. If you start to tune it up how far can you go without compromising the tranny. 50-100 more HP????
    Any engineers out there?
  • greanpea68greanpea68 Posts: 1,996
    I work at a Nissan Dealer and the Coupes will arrive with in the next two weeks. Place a order now while you can!!!!
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,025
    Just read the Edmunds review. At one point it says the Altima has a 68.8 slalom but at another says it's 66.8mph.

Any one know what the right figure is? Either way that's not bad handling but the higher figure would make it really good.

BTW, how do they get decent handling with 67% front weight bias? I thought that led to understeer issues?

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• toomuchrocktoomuchrock Posts: 19
    I drove one today which had convience package, moonroof, and AT. It drove like a dream. The shifting was so smooth i could not even feeling to change gears, which is apparently a newly designed feature.
    Inteior was spacious, very few blind spots, turned smoothly, handled nicely and priced very nicely. Window tag after all fees was 24500 i beleive, he offered it to us for 23000, plus tax tag and title which i beleive made it somewhere around 25600... he also offered a 120,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty for 1500. Do you think this is a fair price to pay for this car?