Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma Starting/Stalling/Idling Problems

bobtoybobtoy Posts: 1
I have a 2000 v6 Tacoma. Three days ago I could only get it up to 60mph. Then it started running fine. I drove it about 100 miles an no problem I drove it a litte the next day with no problem. The third day I could only go about 40 mph. I changed the fuel filter and it ran fine. I went out to start it and it would not start. It has spark. I also unhooked the fuel line and it shot gas every where. Hook the gas line back up and nothing. It will turn over and not start. Need some help

Comments

• jmarquezjmarquez Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Tacoma Pre-runner just 9 months out of the dealer and I have a hard start problem. In the morning, when it has not been started since the day before, the engine takes a long time to start. Some times I have to turn the key a second time and then its starts. The rest of the day is starts just fine. I don't think it is cold weather or anything, since I live in Puerto Rico.

I took it to the dealer a few months ago, and of course they said there was nothing wrong. I read in a few threads in this webpage about the same problem with 03-04 Tacomas (see message #1976 at the Toyota Tacoma: Problem and Solutions), and it was somehting about the "fuel suction assembly". Does anyone know of any TSB's regarding this problem for '06 Tacomas or does anyone know what could be wrong?
  • I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD SR5 Off-Road Edition, 4.0L V6 5speed automatic. I am experiencing problems when accelerating from about 45-55mph and 70mph or above. When I hit the pedal for a little throttle action it jumps and acts as though it is misfiring and stalls somewhat. I am not a mechanic and dealing with Toyota dealerships for a possible problem is sometimes not worth it, but they will have to fix whatever is wrong because it is under warranty. Anyone know of a possible problem? Thanks!
  • toyoyotoyoyo Posts: 2
    I have a 97 Tacoma 2.7L. When driving at highway speeds for no reason the truck sometimes cuts out or feels like a miss. It seems to happen in most gears but is most noticeable in 3rd, 4th, 5th. What could this be?

I have had a tune up, fuel system flush. They checked the coils. Still nothing. It's at the shop now and the bill is growing! Can any one help?
  • redrt88redrt88 Posts: 3
    My Tacoma lurches forward after I come to a complete stop. I have had the transmission checked by a transmission repair shop and the dealer and they say is could be loose linkage, but nothing to worry about. Has anyone else had this issue?
  • adk1adk1 Posts: 2
    My 1999 truck does the same thing, if you find anything on this let me know.
  • I just met another '95 Tacoma owner with the same problem as mine.
    My pickup (4 cyl., manual, 235k) runs fine in cool weather. But in hot weather, after running for a while, it often won't re-start after being parked briefly. It will turn over but not catch. A couple of mechanics haven't been able to spot the trouble.

This has been going on for a couple of years & I just deal with it. With about a five minute wait and another attempt it usually starts OK.
    Ideas??
  • I have a 98 tacoma 2.4 cyl that I bought from my Dad w/181k. The truck runs great unless it is raining, or there is moisture in the air. After it is parked overnight and it rains during the night, it will have these symptoms. Rough idle and it wants to stall? On sunny days it runs like a champ? Where would be the first componet to check? Mass airflow sensor? plug wires? Any sugestions would be great.

Thanks for your time,
    Shadetree41
  • I have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab v6 4.0L, that has the same problem with the starting, My truck has a grand total of 1200km's on it, I've had it for less then 3 weeks. The truck takes 2-3 tries of turning the key for the engine to start. When the truck does finally start, it works great. [non-permissible content removed] Crap or what?
  • Have had a 98, a 2001, and 2007. All have done that. I find that it's mostly due to the A/C Compressor kicking in while at a stop causing the RPM's to increase momentarily making it feel like a lurch.
  • i have a 2000 tacoma gas milage was bad 15 miles to gal i tried to change plugs took one out decied i couldnt do it then next day truck had bad miss took to garage they checked it out hooked it to mach changed plugs seemed to help but it didnt now when iam driving it will jump bad like it is missing worst between 45-55 and some times when taking off but not always also when i start it when engine is cold it seems to run ok
  • Hi everyone...Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem. I have a 2007 Tacoma 4x4 purchased in August.. In late Nov. I went out to my truck and it would not start. Tried several times to no avail. The tow truck driver tried also. It had to be flatbedded to my local dealer. It started right up for them. It was decided that the EGR valve was defective and they "told " us they replaced it. We took the vehicle home after a week. A week later, the same thing happened.[Apparently nothing was done the fiirst time.] After several tries, it started and my husband drove it to the dealership. This time it was determined to be the alarm we had installed thru them. They had the vehicle two weeks for this probelm. And then last week (Jan 5)..it did it again and had to be flatbedded into the dealer again. It started right up for them. They are at a loss and we don't know what to do. Any ideas anyone? Thanks for any info
  • slee5slee5 Posts: 6
    Replace your spark plug wires, It is miss fire due to the spark is leak thru the wire insulation. if you turn your car at darkroom you might be able to see where the arc is between the wires or to the chasse.
  • I have a 2002 Tacoma DBL Cab Prerunner that Idles rough. I use Royal Purple 5w-30 synthetic motor oil and Bosch Platinum 4 prong spark plugs. I have 107,000 miles on the truck.
  • plm2plm2 Posts: 3
    I have a 97 Tacoma with a 2.4L and auto trans.The idle drops to the point the whole truck shakes.This happens when in in drive not in park.I have performed a complete tune-up using factory parts.New plugs,wires and etc.The motor mounts are good.I have ran complete diag with my scan tool,which shows live data and there are no codes present.I have cleand the IAC valve and throttal body.There are no vaccum leaks and the engine timming is correct.If you step on the gas pedal slightly,the engine idle feels perfect.Other notes, the fuel pressure is correct and the PCV valve is new.There is no idle adjustment procedure on the hood sticker or in my Haynes manual.Can the idle be adjusted without interfearing with the electronic engine control? :confuse:
  • slee5slee5 Posts: 6
    Have you change gas filter? other thing from my expirence is buy a can of CRC Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner from any autopart store($4.50), follow the instruction on the can spray the sensor (never touch sensor with anything) The sensor is mounted on the short duct behind the air filter. It work well for my Tocoma, it smooth the rough idle. give it a try and let me know if this work for you.
  • deesdrdeesdr Posts: 2
    I had the exact problem on a dodge caravan, wrecker tow and all...turned out to be the fuel pump locking up. the tow truck ride jarred it loose.
    good luck. replaced fuel pump and all ok.