Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma Starting/Stalling/Idling Problems

Comments

• deesdrdeesdr Posts: 2
    had the same prob with mine, no one could help..found the answer on a message board. the u joint has a slip joint where it comes off the hogg head. pump it full of grease each time you change the motor oil and your problem will disappear.
    good luck.
  • dan704dan704 Posts: 1
    Hi, same problem, starts and idles fine, good acceleration, but at low throttle pressure it bucks and jerks noticably. tech ran every test he could think with no answers. said maybe the "check engine light" will come on which could lead to a diagnosis.
  • It could be that you clutch is not fully depressed or you may need to push the over-ride button on the lower left side of the dash which bypasses the the need to depress the clutch at all. Just make sure that the truck is out of gear when you do.
  • You can loosen the lock nut below the cam where you throttle cable attaches and turn the set screw in slightly. Not the by the book method but it works. :)
  • Most likely the distributor cap has micro-cracks in it. You can replace the cap/rotor button for under 30 dollars. It could be the wires but not likely unless they have been bent at a 90 degree angle. Try spraying just the cap with WD-40 (with motor off of course) Try starting it and see how it runs. Then spray the wires. (motor off) It dissipates moisture and can save you money/time by not diagnosing by VISA.
  • If you didn't moisten the filter with gas prior to installation...that could be the problem. The fuel pressure is high enough to blow the paper filter to shreds which in turn can plug injectors...not a pretty sight. Pull one of the injectors to see if you have a nice even cone spray.
  • Sounds like the fuel pump is dying or possibly the pump relay is loose/going bad :cry:
  • Might want to try testing the ohm readings between the two pins. It should be between 25-34. Then test between both pins and ground (housing). Should have no continuity If you purchase the pdf on ebay, it will walk you thru all the diagnostics from A-Z
  • blaine3blaine3 Posts: 5
    Does anyone know how to replace the statert on a 01 v6 prerunner??? I found it but i just can't seem to get to the two bolts holding it in, is there a special way?
  • fiddycentfiddycent Posts: 8
    Try going at it under the fenderwell. Should be a little flap that you can undo to access it. I had to take mine out in a couple pieces because of the length but the new model went right in. They trimmed about a 1/4" of it. :blush:
  • pjc_00pjc_00 Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 toyota Tacoma 197,000 miles and recently the truck starts to stall when I release the clutch in first gear, after I get going it seems to work fine. Any suggestions. thanks
  • eurockyeurocky Posts: 1
    Toyota tacoma 2002, truck sometimes won't start unless I push the gas pedal three times sometimes twice, it always starts in the morning ( except for a couple of times) or after not running for a while, it has never die on me, runs good, once it starts it won't re start sometimes after driving as little as 5 minutes or as long as 1 hour, it happens in hot or cold weather, with the gas tank full or almost empty and lastly sometimes i hear clicking noises from underneath the dashboard I think from the passenger side..... help!!!!!!!!!
  • I have same exact problem on 96 Tacoma. I think fuel line is cavitating? At least that's what mechanic told me after diagnosis. So had fuel pump replaced, problem still persists. Put fuel injector cleaner in fuel, problem still persists. What's the deal, anyone?
  • I have a 98 Tacoma 4cyl 5speed that is spitting and sputtering like there is water in the gas but it's not. I have changed the plugs,wires,fuel filter,and coil packs but am still having this problem. I have put it on a computer and drove around but there are no codes been giving at all.
  • I have an 02 tacoma 3.4 V-6. It runs great. Except when you turn the right turn signal on while the blower motor is running in any speed. Ive traced all the wiring diagrams out and can not find any relation to all of this concerning why it would stall out. I eliminated the signals out of the circuit by unplugging them, now it stalls when headlights are on with blower on. so I unplug lights, the next weakest link is the blower motor. So I try unplugging it or the resistor, and the truck wont start at all.
    In the beginning of diagnosis, I found that a ground wire on the right turn signal will turn to power when the blower motor is turned on, (this is when the truck stalls also). So I know I have a ground shorted to hot. The only thing I have left in the complete circuit is the ECM, that is the only place that the blower circuit and other circuits could possibly be related to eachother. Help me Please.
  • Hello, I know that in the state of georgia we have what is called a lemon law where as if a new vehicle has a serious problem that the dealer cannot or will not be able to repair then you can return the vehicle to the dealer for a full refund. you might want to check into your states law concerning this issue.
  • bar6bar6 Posts: 1
    I have 2003 Tacoma xtra cab 4x4 5spd manual supercharged with 7th injector, headers, and cold air intake(injen) with 45k mi with starting issues. When ever I don't start the truck for two days or more, when it is cold in the mornings, or when ever it feels like it, it wont start. It'll take 2-3 tries to start and when it does the check engine light comes on and it'll make clicking sound in the throttle body area. After that it'll start good with the check engine light on and on the 4th start the check engine light turns off. It did this before (when it had warranty) I had the mods installed on a couple of times but the check engine light never came on. A couple of months back I took the truck to the dealer with the light on ( and of course the light turned off when their tech started the truck) and could not find anything wrong but did say that it might be the cold air intake with the supercharger, so I installed the stock intake and still did the same thing. And also the rpms drop to about 500 or below when ever I turn on the headlights and drop even more when I step on the brakes(especially at a stop light). I've changed the battery (replaced it with an OPTIMA YELLOW TOP) to see if that would help, fuel filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires and coils, starter. It does this even with a full tank of gas and I have always used 91 oct on it. CAN ANYBODY PLEASE HELP ME WITH ANY SOLUTIONS.
  • I have a 1995 Toyota Pickup 4cyl. that won't start after its hot and been running for awhile. It starts after it sits for 5-10 minutes. It has 235,000 miles and seems strong when its running. It burns clean and passes smog checks. I recently replaced the fuel filter and put in fresh spark plugs and the problem still persists. Anyone with ideas to cure this frustrating problem ?
  • chivitochivito Posts: 2
    I've heard of a few other people who were having this problem but I have not seen a solution: My 96, 4 cylinder Tacoma often won't start when the engine AND weather are hot. No problem all winter but as soon as the temp reaches 60 or so and after the engine is nice and hot it won't turn over after sitting for 10-30 minutes. After another 10 minutes or so I can eventually get it to start but it's a big pain. 255,000 miles and it's still running pretty nice otherwise, though...
  • skpkskpk Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Toyota T100 and it doing the same problem. Have you find out the problem. Please share.

Thanks
    SKPK