Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Ion Starting Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,076
    mcewan821,
    Have you spoke with a dealer? If not, I would recommend doing so. Please keep me updated on your concerns and situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Thank you for your responses...

We did order a new lock cylinder and that fixed the problem. We had an automobile locksmith come out and replace it. So after about $400 later, we have an ignition that will finally turn. Is there a plan to have a recall on this? I am just curious as to what we can do since so many have had the exact came issue.

Thank you!

Jennifer McEwan
  • Mcewan821 - I am sitting here laughing and I wish i could say b/c something was funny. sadly, it is so not funny. although there is over 38 pages of this blog with most having the same issue, GM has refused to do a recall. It's not only the part you are talking about, it's also the starter and the ignition relay switch. people have spent a fortune trying to get their Ions in running condition. I have already spent close to $530 and that was with a mechanic for a battery and a friend put a new starter in which cost him $180. GM wanted $600 for the same part and the mechanic $300. You are very lucky you only had to spend $400. I am very bitter. GM offered to help, knew I was over my warranty, yet started a file, called me continuously and made the appointment for me to get the car fixed. After GM running the diagnostic for $129, telling me I needed a starter for $600 GM told me they would not help. they admitted the part was defective, but the fact that I was over warranty, which as I said they already knew, they abandoned me. Count your blessings you only spent $400, they will NEVER recall the part. I am so over GM. I will be buying a car in the next 6 months (b/c I have no choice as I am over this 2.5 year ordeal I have gone through with my Saturn) and I will NEVER buy a GM car again, nor will my 3 daughters or anyone else that knows me that has read this blog

sorry to overwhelm you with this, but they sent me your post and i had to reply. Not to mention, b/f this I have never participated in anything like this.
  • Jennifer,
    Dream on! Just kidding of course. If GM had a plan to hav a recall, why did they then let this problem remain for all this time! We encounterd this specific problem in 2007 on one of our dozen plus ION's, less and one thousand miles out of warranty but still within 36 months. The dealership mishandled the repair, could never show what parts (lock-cylinder etc) they replaced but charged full service cost about $400. At that time we had another 7 ION's, still under warranty ... all 2005's some with the typical problem of key stuck, won't start etc. An independant lock-smith changed the lock cylinders and in a few cases we had to replace the start switch as well ALL AT OUR COST. Nedless to say, but the Saturn dealer got zero additional business from us ... NADA ... The GM dealership that today would be the place to take the few ION's we have left are of course clueless of this problem, just claim that they will do diagnostic's at our cost ... Spill of time and money ... Better off to continue our plan to replace all ION's with NON-GM vehicles, such as Ford, Toyota, Nissan or Honda - rather than the only GM product in that size, the Chevrolet Cruize. GM and their attention to the KNOWN problem with the ION (and Cobalt) has not earned our trust and do not deserve repeat business as far as we are concerned.
    Good luck with the repair to yours, after spending $400 - Sorry but it will likely not end with just the lock cylinder.
  • dweezildweezil Posts: 271
    Amen: GM still using the public to finish their product development for them all the way up through just recently. [And the jury is still out on the Cruze as to whether it's going to be reliable or not or another GM line with PITA problems GM will never recognize of fix.
  • So perhaps you might share the location of this wire bundle in the trunk, in the event that my ignition switch replacement doesn't solve my problem next week? Any help would be greatly appreciated...ie; where you found it, what color or looks like etc..
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,076
    Good morning, Jennifer!

Glad to hear that the concern was resolved. As far as your question on “is there a plan to have a recall?” we do document information from forums when we notice a widespread concern. I cannot speak to decision making on recalls, but I can say that we do take notice. If there were to be a recall on this concern, you would be notified.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to email Christina.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Saturn tech - my '04 ion wouldn't restart Saturday after I tried restarting it almost immediately after pulling it into the garage. We've changed out the battery and draws it down in 2 hours. I got it to the Chevy dealership and they ran a diagnostic (insisted on it) and it found nothing. So they think my new battery is bad and want to just replace it. My Saturn's ignition switch had to be replaced in Jan '08, so almost 4 years ago. Is it possible the ignition switch went out again and it won't show up on diagnostic? I told them go ahead and put a new battery in, see if it restarts before the guy leaves today and see if it will start first thing in the morning. I would be surprised if it does, and wonder if I should insist the ignition switch be replaced again even if the newest battery seems to fix the problem? Thanks.
  • Sarah that's very sweet of you to say, but it is painfully obvious GM has no intention of doing any recall. this blog has over 40 pages going back at least a few years with the same problems over and over. GM should have done the recall a few years ago and then people such as myself would never have had to find this blog. not sure of you know my history and i certainly won't bore you with it. suffice it to say GM offered help, fully knowing I was over the warranty and when they were told the part was known to be a bad design and was deficient (don't think I'm using the right word) they did nothing b/c I was over my warranty which they were fully aware of. not to mention I started with Saturn way before my warranty was over

Pamela
  • Hi...I just cut the white wire in my 2006 Ion last night. I capped the ends and taped everything back up. Does anyone know what will happen if/when I have to get a new battery or my current battery dies? Will the car start? Thanks.
  • Started off as slight pause in ignition but would turn over. Now one click and won't start. Will not jump either. Full electrical. Coolant like comes on all the time never over heats while driving when it heats up during idle fan kicks on to cool. Is it my starter or battery or cold start problem due to possible failed coolant sensor?
  • Is the security light on solid or flashing when it doesnt start?Also is the coolant low?A bad coolant temp sesnor will not cause the starter to be inop.
  • Solid like it would be if you have it turned to accs. Like a year ago I had to replace a bad ignitioncoil. It was doing almost the same thing but the service engine marquee scroll across and the check engine light would be on. The only time it would flash was when I would.drive and it would pump fuel into.the cat causing it to super heat up. But to answer your question solid and no indication of service engine.
  • Saturntech9: I have 2005 Saturn Ion 2 also having a problem starting on cold mornings recently. Key turns over, click but no turn over & have power to everything else (jump start wouldn't work either). Do you think I should try ignition switch replace or someone else said it could be clutch safety (?) since my car is manual transmission; although I am sure to push the clutch to the floor when trying to start it. Could you please send me instructions on how to replace or repair either (link would do too), part#, etc? My email address is sheila6973@yahoo.com. I would sure appreciate it! Do you have any other suggestions for repair?
  • I have a 2003 Ion with 44,000 miles and bought it brand new. We've had this similar issue for the past 3 years. We have bought new batteries every winter for the last 3 years because that's what we thought it was. But after reading everyone's comments, I'm thinking that's not the case. This has only happened to me once the temp outside drops below freezing. Is that the case with the rest of you? Very frustrating!!! What is the BCM that everyone is talking about? Thanks
  • The bcm is the body control module it controls the body functions security door locks keyless entry inside lights also is the inside fuse box.Is the security light on solid or flashing when it doesnt start?In your case sounds like a bad ignition switch.
  • One thing for sure - It is NOT a battery problem - Many owners have been taken by dealers and service centers. Furthermore, it is NOT a problem caused by the climate. This same problem is common throughout, including warmer areas like Florida, Southern California etc.
    No this is a problem that GM (Saturn actually) should have corrected shortly after the ION's were first brought to the market. We have changed lock cylinders (helped on some for some time) and changed the BCM, same there worked on some. The problem is not on all ION's (strange) ... I have several 2005's and a few with 100k miles that are OK - At the same time one of our 2004's need repeated attempts to start almost daily - and this is in FLorida.
    Good luck to you ... some day you will do just like us - move away from the non-supportive GM and select from several of their fine competitors ...
  • Jenniemcp,

How have things gone with your vehicle since your battery replacement?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Most of the time its the ignition switch that fails because it has the pass lock sensor in it.The reason it says on colder weather it happens more often is because of the grease they use.It becomes more solid in temps below 40 degrees.I even had customer that lived in indio california where it gets really hot.Every winter out his car would intermintantly not start changed his ignition switch he hasnt complained about it since.I have replaced a ton of those switches for intermintant no starts hot or cold.There is even a bulletin for it from saturn.
  • You know I have weighed in a lot on this..... And I, being from southern california can confirm what you have said. Does not depend on the cold weather to start or not.. An old friend of my daughter's who is an ace mechanic put the starter in which both the dealership and the mechanic said I needed. GM dealership wanted $600 to replace the starter, the mechanic wanted $300, Jason bought the starter for $180 and it was in. Car started fine each and every time he started it up. At first he watched the utube video about cutting the wire, than adding the switch so I could pass smog, etc. Everything was great, but when he tried to put the switch in, it froze. turned out to be a loose fuse, but we let them be b/c it was starting fine. He had it for about 10 days and each time started right up. I got it back and it started each time i tried. then on the 3rd try (which was a week after i got it back) it would not start and now the key is stuck in the ignition. it won't turn to off, it's stuck somewhere between "on" (the furthest to the right it can go as when you are starting the car) and the middle (between on and off). Won't budge, won't come out of the ignition. Next up for us, the ignition relay switch, which seems to be the most talked about part on this blog for fixing this problem. He is going to switch out the ignition relay switch with a new one and I pray to God this works. If it does I will be selling my 2005 over 100,000 miles Saturn Ion and be happy with whatever I can get for it. I am so over this and I can't wait to get rid of this car... not sure what i'm going to get, but I am 100% sure it will not be a GM
  • Sd46916,

I see you already have a plan for repairing your Saturn. If we can be of any service to you, even by looking into safety recall information on your vehicle, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us via email with your name/user name and the last 8 digits of your VIN.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Be careful when the GM people weigh in. The ones on this blog are very nice, but they have no power when it comes to the important decisions. They will open a file for you, make the appointment for you at the dealer, I even had someone named Raymond call and tried to be helpful. when push came to shove his supervisor took over and I got nothing.. they said i was over warranty, even though i started complaining about this prior to the warranty being expired. and as I said to the saturntech (who is no longer with GM, just someone VERY helpful on this blog) You know I have weighed in a lot on this..... And I, being from southern california can confirm what you have said. Does not depend on the cold weather to start or not.. An old friend of my daughter's who is an ace mechanic put the starter in which both the dealership and the mechanic said I needed. GM dealership wanted $600 to replace the starter, the mechanic wanted $300, Jason bought the starter for $180 and it was in. Car started fine each and every time he started it up. At first he watched the utube video about cutting the wire, than adding the switch so I could pass smog, etc. Everything was great, but when he tried to put the switch in, it froze. turned out to be a loose fuse, but we let them be b/c it was starting fine. He had it for about 10 days and each time started right up. I got it back and it started each time i tried. then on the 3rd try (which was a week after i got it back) it would not start and now the key is stuck in the ignition. it won't turn to off, it's stuck somewhere between "on" (the furthest to the right it can go as when you are starting the car) and the middle (between on and off). Won't budge, won't come out of the ignition. Next up for us, the ignition relay switch, which seems to be the most talked about part on this blog for fixing this problem. He is going to switch out the ignition relay switch with a new one and I pray to God this works. If it does I will be selling my 2005 over 100,000 miles Saturn Ion and be happy with whatever I can get for it. I am so over this and I can't wait to get rid of this car... not sure what i'm going to get, but I am 100% sure it will not be a GM
  • Wow! A Saturn Tech that admits something is wrong! And in this posting sharing with us that 'most of the time' the problem is traced to the ignition switch (a GM dealer sourced part at about $50 - available from rockauto.com for less than $20 ...same identical part) and its failing pass lock sensor.
    Note - we now learn there is a bulletin from saturn about this!! How come that saturn did not take care of this during the warranty period? How come those gm dealers that service and repair saturn's know about this? The one we have dealt with is 100% clueless about any bulletin - but will happily sell us the $50 part and point out, no return, it's an electrical part. Do I have one, yes, did it work? No ...
    Like so many other owners posting ...go elsewhere but a new gm product!
  • Saturntech - As I told the last one who posted on this. You are the only one who actually helped me on this site. The 2 GM people that have their eye on this blog. nice, but useless (sorry ladies, but setting up a "file" that you basically know is not going anywhere - not really helping).... As I said, when GM called me after one of the ladies on here set a file up for me.. He wanted to hep. Raymond knew i was over warranty, knew I'd had this problem b/f i was over warrenty and was pushing to get GM to pay. Last thing he said to me was "Don't worry, I am here to help." The next thing I knew his supervisor called and was extremely rude and told me there is no way GM will be paying. When I asked for her supervisor she told me she is the general manager (or some such title) of southern california and there was no one higher than her to talk to. Basically dismissed me like yesterday's trash. Don't know if you read my other postings, but had it started for a whole week after the starter was put in. now it is frozen and the key won't come out of the ignition, there is no power, no clicks, no nothing. oh yeah, and the mechanic put a new battery in over the summer for $180. next up... that ignition relay switch for $25. we are hoping this does the trick and then good bye Saturn Ion! Hopefully, someone will buy it
  • Hi everyone. I bought my '03 ION brand new from the dealer and didn't have any problems until 2 years ago. Then I started getting this no start/no crank problem. At first I thought, OK probably the battery (it was in the winter and well, the battery was 6 years old, why not?). I bought a new one and that of course didn't fix the problem. So I asked the guys who service our cars about it. They started by replacing the ignition switch (better grease they promised too) but that didn't totally take care of it. So last year they replaced the ignition cylinder. Better, but still not 100%. Then on Tuesday, the key wouldn't turn back to the 'off' position. So back to the shop. They fixed the key issue by taking apart the cylinder again, but since then the car won't stay on at all. It cranks, but then stalls. They think the computer is toast, but they don't know. I've tried calling the closest GM dealer to see if they can even diagnose the issue (BCM or just a complete failure of the computer) and I'm still waiting to hear from them. What did I see about disconnecting the anti-theft? Did that actually work for anyone?
  • My key is also now stuck in the ignition. i was told a simple ignition relay switch will do the job. this is after installing a new battery, new starter.... it actually worked for a whole week after the starter was put in!!

my AAA expired, I have to reup and get it towed AGAIN and try the ignition relay switch this time. btw, I live in southern california. cold weather has nothing to do with it!!

there is a utube video about all this, but be careful. good luck. this is so insane. every week more and more people on here, yet GM won't do a thing if we are over warranty. So over 40 pages on this blog going back years and no recall. they simply have their people monitoring this site. I was very sweet when i started on here. Now I am jaded and just want the car working so I can get rid of it and NEVER buy a GM car again
  • I'm right there with you. IF I can get this thing working, I'm unloading it ASAP. But this is the only issue I've had since 2003, so I'm not throwing GM out the door just yet. Then again, if I can't find someone who THINKS they MIGHT be able to fix it, then I'm out of luck and I have to figure out some way to buy another car - and all of the joy that THAT will bring me.
    And the cold weather just seems to bring this issue out in my ION. It may be anecdotal, but that's when it happens. Not necesarily below freezing, but I had no issues when it was over 70 degrees outside.
  • notcrankyion - It does seem as if many people do have issues in the cold weather. I don't know how much of this blog you have read, but I started here months ago. At that time I was still on the fence about GM and thought, despite everything I read, that maybe they really did want to help. Some do, some don't, but the people that don't are the supervisors of GM and they are the ones with the power. I bought my 2005 Ion brand new in 2005 and not until the summer of 2009 did I start having this problem.. Even though I contacted Saturn several times I was told on here that GM could not do anything for me b/c I was over warranty and there was no documentation. I never brought it in b/c all the wanted to do was charge me $129 to run a diagnostic and I knew the problem, didn't need that I needed it fixed. GM contacted me on this blog, set up a file, made an appointment at the local GM dealer all the while completely aware that I was over warranty. yet, someone from GM called and told me he wanted to help and not to worry. After that call I never heard from him again, but I did hear from his supervisor telling me too bad for me they wouldn't cover it b/c I was over warranty and did not seem to care at all that I had tried b/f the warranty was over..... I need to buy the ignition relay switch and have my friend/mechanic put it in. Not sure how much of this blog you've read, but it's quite interesting and very repetitive in the problems. Plus you should watch the u tube video
  • I have a 2003 Saturn, I use a blow dryer to heat the ignition switch before putting key in. Usually works. Try disconnecting battery to reset security. Buy a FORD buy a Honda, anything else. I have gone up the GM ladder too and they will not help. Its all a ploy, which is why Saturn is out of business. A large class action lawsuit and general boycott are the only solutions. God luck everyone, I've taken mine everywhere. No luck.
  • I bought my 2004 Saturn Ion 2 brand new with 10 miles on it in July 2004. I have loved this car even thought I had to replace the ignition switch 3 times. Thursday Nov. 17 my car would not start. I got it to the mechanic on Saturday they tell me it's the ignition switch. A few hours later they tell me they can't reset the security code (passlock system) On Monday they brought the car to a local GM dealership an electrician looked at it and couldn't figure out the problem. Now we are at Wednesday Nov. 23 and it is going to yet another GM dealership to have the car "flashed" (I have no idea what it means) My car has 135,000 miles on it, but this is ridiculous I am going on almost a week without a car and no one seems to be able to fix it. I am starting to get very frustrated and have no idea what to do!!!!!