Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Ion Starting Problems

Comments

• If it was my car i would just replace the ignition switch the switch is cheap and easy to replace it.
  • i emailed you the info.
  • I sent you the info also but when the ignition switches go bad they cause no starts not issues with the key not turning off.So is the key stuck in the acc position?If so then the two most likely causes for that are bad battery or dead battery.Also the micro switch at the base of the shifter that keeps you from turning the key off in any position other then park. it fails and wont let you turn the key off.I have replaced many of them for that i know where to get the switches and the part number.
  • the ignition relay switch is what I was told with the problem when it first began almost 3 years ago. instead they replaced the battery, the starter and after that it worked for a whole week. then on the 8th day I got in and turned the car on, but it did not turn on. the key is stuck 1/2 way between on and off. All I want to do is get this thing running and get rid of it. I had the start no start problem for 2 years. first it was 12 minutes to the minute and then it would start. then 20, sometimes as long as an hour. then one day after 2 hours had gone by I got it towed. that was during the summer. and then the rest as I described above. so you think it's not the ignition relay switch, please tell me the part, the part number and where to get them. thanks. same email. pamela.fryer@gmail.com
  • I have an 03 Ion that is having problems starting intermittently. It's not cold here, I live in the desert. It usually starts fine in the morning (not like others have mentioned) but will sometimes not start again if I stop somewhere. Happened today when I stopped for gas, started fine in the morning then wouldn't start after getting gas. The radio and lights work but it's almost like the battery is dead and won't start. The alternator is new I know it's not that. If I jump it it works just fine for several days. Any idea what this could be?
  • It sounds like a bad ignition switch when it wont start is the security light on solid or flashing?If so its probably a bad ignition switch.The switches are pretty cheap and easy to change.
  • I haven't noticed any lights on the dash when it happens. Is it still likely to be a bad ignition switch?
  • From what you describe it sounds like a bad ignition switch i have replaced tons of those switches for no starts.Thats the number one fix for random no starts on those cars.Next time it doesnt start see if the security light is on solid or flashing.The switches are 30 or less and easy to install.
  • We have put in a new starter, ignition switch and relearn procedure the batteries good but still wont start, lights etc. work but nothing! tested all the fuses,It wont even shift to neutral, so must be locked out? Any suggestions? Faulthy bcm? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
  • kikibkikib Posts: 14
    yes, I would say the bcm....
  • dozensaturndozensaturn Posts: 41
    edited February 2012
    #1 Suggestion ...
    Buy a new (or used) car other than a GM product instead of spending time and money on your Saturn ION.

It is stunning, but if GM want any loyalty from Saturn owners, and especially the ION's .... then why do they not take care of this problem, once and for all.

We are going to non-GM brands as the vehicles are sold off or traded ... only a few left of a fleet of more than a dozen Saturn's ... and our fleet is growing!
  • I have just been convinced & ordered a VATS bipass kit form NewRockies, I really hope this works! They have many followers.I Will post how it goes!
  • Hi,
    I've been reading many pages of everyone's problems with their ignition and I am also facing the same problem. It has done it a few times in the past but I just moved down to Florida and the next day it happened. Except now it won't start at all and just so happen the warranty ran out a couple hundred miles ago...
    I have a 2006 Ion Redline that i bought new and everything is normal when I go to start it (no dash lights eccetra) all the way up until I go to turn it over to start. ACC is fine but as soon as I turn it over, everything goes silent/quiet. No cranking, no ticking, nothing. All I get is an illuminated "check engine light" that stays on as long as I hold the key in the START position.
    Is it my ignition switch or do you know what is causing this problem?? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I have no other vehicle and being the new guy at a new base with no car is not going so hot. THANK YOU in advance for any advice you can give..
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Good morning cameron06rl,

If we can look to see if there are any open recalls on your vehicle (we can do this with the last 8 digits of your VIN), or assist in working with a dealership, please let us know!

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ajcrickajcrick Posts: 10
    edited March 2012
    Hi Sarah, Thankyou, any help would be greatly appreciated! I will get back to you with the vin# this afternoon & i am going to have it towed & serviced at the G.M dealership closest to home which Is Motor Inn of Webster City Iowa
    Thankyou, Angie Crick
    Great to hear from you, Angie, and we look forward to assisting in whatever way we can!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Sarah, The last 8 vin numbers on our saturn is : 3Z142333
    I found a bulletin on it # 04-08-45-005D No Crank or No Start DTC B2960 and/or B3033. It seems to mimic the symptoms occoured after we bought the car. We have changed the starter and igniton switch( not module or relay) already along with doing the passlock relearn & has not yet started.What has me stumped is that it will not shift into neutral. Thankyou, Angie
    Good morning Angie,

I looked and am not seeing any open recalls on your vehicle at this time. I tried to see if I could pull up a file for you in our database so I could get a Service Request set up, but didn't have any luck. We'd be happy to do so if you wanted to email us your name/Edmunds username, phone, and address (if I could also get the current mileage on your vehicle, that would be great).

Once I get that in, I'll set up this request, call over to the dealership where your vehicle is at to get any updates on progress, and then go from there!

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Hi Sarah, do you have an email i could send you my personal information in there? thankyou!
    Sure do - if you click on my username here in Edmunds you should be able to view my email address.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Thanks Sarah, I have sent you an email, hope it makes it!
  • caelancaelan Posts: 1
    So I bought the 2004 Saturn Ion 3wks ago. I fell in love w/ the car and thought it was amazing. I have had the starting issue w/ it since I stopped the first time out of the dealership. My husband has terminal cancer and I need this car to start. Today it stalled at his doctors office and a friend had to come get us and our 3 1/2yr old. Its the same thing I have read over and over here. I was told by the local GM dealer that its $600-$800 to get it fixed. I am shocked because its a $40 part. I called Best Buy and the installer said he wouldnt put in the remote for me. A couple local mechanics won't even touch the ignition. I need this car to run...my husband is too sick to fix it. What is the best and cheapest option. I just don't have an extra $700 to put into a car I just bought. BTW...dealer actually gave me a new alternator thinking that was the problem...it wasn't. GM should be ashamed of themselves. My husband is dying and thier mistake is costing me so much time, $, stress. Please Help!
    Good morning,
    I didn't see it come through - I apologize about that! Would you be able to resend it?
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I am so very sorry to hear about your husband's health. Have you already contacted Customer Service? If we can follow up on this with you, please send us an email with more information (please include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Good morning Sarah!
    I sent you an e-mail yesterday evening and just wanted to follow up with it and see what you were able to find out.

Thanks,
    Cameron
    Sarah, the emails keep being rejected to your address.Here is my email address Angela.Crick@mchsi.com. Thankyou, Angie
    Angie,
    I tried to send you an email from a different address, but that was sent back to me. At this point, it may be quicker to have you give customer assistance a call as they will build the same case I would have done over the internet: 800-553-6000 (Hours: Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm ET; Closed Sunday). I am so sorry for the difficulty in communication we've been having!

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Cameron,

I believe I did see your email come through - have you heard back from Christina at this point? She generally answers inbound emails from the forum. If you haven't, I will be sure to follow up on this with her!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • angelab51806angelab51806 Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    I own a 07 Saturn ion and I'm having the same issues so I took it to have my alarm disabled and another one installed with a remote starter and that didn't help at all.. I got my battery tested and its fine! Called Saturn customer service and they told me the car had NO RECALLS OR SPECIAL POLICIES (WHICH IS LIKE A RECALL) SO NOW I'M SURE THEY ARE LYING BECAUSE THE ION DOES HAVE A SPECIAL POLICY AND I KNOW BECAUSE.... HERS MY STORY...Driving down the freeway at about 67-70 mph start to slow down to EXIT the freeway and I can't steer my car! I'm a 20 year old girl that's 4"11..here's so I call the dealer and get the run around about them fixing my car until I finally got to a nice man who told me i needed to get into the dealer free of charge because the policy.. they give me a new power steering motor and its good now. But that just for a to show that SATURN themselves lie and who knows what's wrong with the car! I only have 60,000 miles on it! In college can't afford to take it to the dealer so I'm screwed! I live in CA THE WEATHER ISN'T FREEZING SO THAT'S NOHE ISSUE.. SO NEXT STEP IS CUTTING THE WHITE WIRE.. REALLY SCARED TO DO BUT REALLY WHAT ELSE CAN GO WRONG.. THE CAR WON'T START ANYWAY! I HOPE SOMEONE WITH THE MONEY SUES THE **** OUT OF GM!!!
  • IF ANYONE HAS A SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEM PLEASE EMAIL angela_arthur18@yahoo.com