Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Ion Starting Problems

1565758596062»

Comments

• censocenso Posts: 3
    Well, after two cold mornings in temperatures I know my Ion would not have previously started in, I'm happy to report that since replacing the ignition switch, my car has fired up every time without fail. I never had a problem with the car not starting during the day, it was always that initial start first thing in the morning after a cold night and now it appears this problem has finally been put to rest.

Thanks again to everyone's contributions and for those who are new and wondering if this really works, trust me it does - I am living proof. Just do it!

-RC
  • mars1100mars1100 Posts: 1

Hello all, Well I have had the same issue as everyone else for about 8 years with my 2003 ION 180,000 miles...the no start thing. ( I have just dealt with it all along)I purchased the ignition switch today and will be installing in the next couple days. I do have another issue I need some help with. I was on vacation for 2 weeks and after week 1 I tried to start the car and got a click with no start or turn of engine, I Jump started the car and it ran fine. I parked it for about 10 hours and would not start again, jumped it and got it back home. Replaced 5 year old battery, still won't start. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

• Hi there, have just put in a new ignition switch to stop r The starting issues. Have to program it but the pass code light went off. How do I go about doing so now since I can't follow the pass lock light. The switch is in place but since its not programmed the car won't fire up. My email dicxy_boo@hot mail.com if u can email me some steps or anything to help reset it thanks

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,699
    edited January 8

Is the bulb burned out? Can you replace it?

This message has been approved.

• OK still no light on. Its almost like we would have to try and reactivate the pass lock to setup the ignition switch when we tried the first time, we probably did it wrong and now we can't properly program it. Thanks for the suggestion but do u have other ideas

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,699

@minnie_min said: OK still no light on. Its almost like we would have to try and reactivate the pass lock to setup the ignition switch when we tried the first time, we probably did it wrong and now we can't properly program it. Thanks for the suggestion but do u have other ideas

You are saying that the light does not come on at all even just turning the key to "On."

I'd disconnect the battery for 30 minutes or more.

Then reconnect and see if you get the indicator light back. Then try the reprogramming cycle suggested by Saturntech9 in earlier posts here.

Saturntech9 has not logged on since the forum transferred.

This message has been approved.

• Hey everyone, I recently purchased an 2006 Saturn ion, Now when i drove it home, It started fine, nothing was wrong with it. Now sometimes when i go to start my car the dash will just go out and nothing will happen.. It doesn't even attempt to start.. It just.. Well does nothing. Any info would be much appreciated, I've been reading this thread for a while. And while everyone is suggestion the white wire trick, i just want to know if you guys had similar things happen to your car

• luvmyionluvmyion Posts: 1

Hi, Everyone,

I bought a 2003 Ion, standard shift last May and the next day it wouldn't start for me. Just dead. I was bordering on tears over whether I'd bought a big problem. I got the battery replaced but same thing next day, no starting, just dead. So, next they thought it might be the ignition switch. Well, I came on this forum and started reading some of the posts until I came upon one that said to press on the button on the clutch to release the security feature that locks the starter!! I checked the clutch pad with my hands and yes, there is a little button there and when I pressed it down and tried to start the engine, lo and behold it started right up. Wow! And the technician apparently didn't know about this button. I saved myself a lot of trial and error repair efforts that were not necessary. Now it starts right up no matter what the weather conditions are. It might take several taps on the clutch to get it just right, but what a relief to know that's the reason. So if you're stumped about intermittent refusals to start, this might solve the problem for you. And you don't have to use your hand of course, just hit the clutch a time or two until you get that security lock to release.

Thanks to this forum and hugs to the lady who posted that tip somewhere on one of these many pages for educating me on this little button!!

• Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676

A reporter would like to speak with a GM owner whose vehicle has been subject to the recent recalls, and whose vehicle has experienced sudden stalling. If you and your vehicle fit this criteria, please contact us at pr@edmunds.com by Friday, March 21, 2014.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676

A reporter would like to speak to a GM owner whose car was part of the latest rounds of recalls and had all necessary recall work completed. If this is you, please send your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, 4/15/14 at noon PT/3 p.m. ET.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.