Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Honda Odyssey

wsurfwsurf Member Posts: 15
edited July 2014 in Honda
Just did start looking into a possible future purchase of an 07 Odyssey. However, I was disappointed to learn that in order to get leather interior seats that i would have to purchase the EX-L model at the minimum and this comes with a moon roof (which i have absolutely no interest in).
We have a 2003 EX with Leather seats (all of them!!) and NO Moon roof which we are very happy with. Did i read the specs wrong?? Is there an 07 Odyssey with leather seating and NO Moon roof??

thanks

Comments

• cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Not from the factory.

You could buy an EX and have leather added. If you do so, be sure the installer knows his stuff about side airbags.
  • fx35awdfx35awd Member Posts: 218
    Hi, I have the '07 Ody EX-L w/ power sliding door and the past few days it has been making noise when it closes :mad: . Has any one run into this problem? If so, did you lube it and where? Thanks.
  • nabbernabber Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know if Honda deleted the floor storage lock in the 2007 EX-L? Ours does not appear to have one.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Just don't use the moonroof. It would drive up the cost to make individual options like moonroofs, so consider it 6 of one or a half-dozen of the other to get a couple of things you didn't want in order to get things you did.

I wanted a moonroof in my Accord, but to get one, I had to get a power seat and heated mirrors - things I never use.
  • makandjakmakandjak Member Posts: 4
    I am interested in buying a Honda Odyssey with DVD/Navigation. I was told that the MSRP is 35,490 and the profit is 2800. They are willing to negotiate some but what is the going price really. Has anyone bought one recently and got a better deal in CA.
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    Go to the thread about prices paid.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, makandjak,

Here's a link to the Odyssey Buying and Leasing Experiences topic, which is a better place for your question -- post your question there and you're bound to get a lot of feedback.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• plamplam Member Posts: 10
    Am looking for 2007 Ody in the Houston area. Can anyone help me?
  • flemonflemon Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2007 Odissey and can't stay in the car without feeling nausea and headaches. 3 other people felt the same but Honda claims" there is nothing wrong" and refuse to put me in another car or terminate my brand new lease. Has anyone else experienced this nightmare?
  • jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    My wife and I bought a new 07 Ody in January. We (especially she) love the van. It blew two fuses on the interior light circuit the first week. Since then we've had no problems except that the brakes feel mushy.

There seems to be a lot of pedal travel before the brakes engage, and I sometimes feel like I need to pump the brake pedal, even though the van is stopping in a safe distance. It's not losing brake fluid and I've had it checked out at the dealer. They could find no problems and compared it with another brand new Odyssey. The service mgr took it for a test drive and said he experienced the same thing and understood what I was talking about, but that it was the same in the other van.

I understand that there's nothing "mini" about an Odyssey. It's a lot of weight you're stopping, so it's not going to stop like my Civic. But I've driven heavier vehicles that at least gave the perception that they had better brakes.

Has anyone else had this experience, or am I just nitpicking?
  • babsy2babsy2 Member Posts: 9
    Totally agree about the brakes - the '99 Odyssey didn't feel like the '07. Thought it was my imagination - only have 6500 miles on it. Glad to hear someone else has the same impression. Will tell dealer about it at next oil change during the coming week. We blew a fuse in one of the two 12v adaptors up front - have to get that fixed too.
  • chikusrichikusri Member Posts: 8
    My A/C stopped wo6king, and it's been only 7months since I bought it and around 8k miles.

Dealer says the condenser has a small hole now as it may been hit by a stone and it's not covered by warranty, quoted almost 1000 bucks.

Any advise on how to deal with the dealer to convince him would help!!!
    Thanks
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    wouldn't it be covered under the 3 year, 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty?

I would get another dealer, as this clearly qualifies as a warranty repair. There is no way that a condenser would fail at this age, especially on a Honda. My A/C in both my Odyssey and Civic has worked flawlessly since day 1; this is DEFINITELY not normal.
    Thanks for your reply.

It should be covered under 3yr/36k warranty, but what he says is because it was hit by a stone it's not covered by warranty.

I will need to see a different dealer, but I am not sure what to argue with them? Can I say what's the gaurantee that it was hit by a stone and not condenser defect?
  • panmaxpanmax Member Posts: 24
    Rock damage to the AC condenser is a known problem with this model. Seems very sensitive to rock damage compared to the 1999-04. Unfortunately, no warranty for this bad design. Sometimes pleading will help. Check this link for more info. http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=947bfbf12d09014c582a3b0ccf1ebda3&threadid=22891
    Thanks for the link.

I took my odyssey to a different dealer, and he mentioned the same that this is not covered under warranty.

Then I called up the Honda Customer Care and they took my request and gave me a reference number. And they asked the Dealer to call their Regional giving this reference number, somehow they agreed to cover this when the Sales Rep at the dealer talked to them.

So, it's all covered and reimbursed to the dealer directly. Again thank you so much for your reply and please take a moment to post it on the Odyclub.com on my behalf, because it doesn't allow me to register.

Time to run to Homedepot and get that gutter gaurd/mesh...
  • calthicalthi Member Posts: 5
    I bought my 2007 Odyssey last November and I am not very impressed already because I only put on about 4 KM and I had to bring to the Dealer's shop a few times already. First time they had to change the strut as they said it was leaking because it was making noise when I turned left. I bought it in the second time as it is still making a small noise when I turn left slowly again. The noise is not consistent though and they said they could not find out anything wrong. Took the test drive with the foreman and he said he found nothing wrong with it and there was nothing he could do. (: Now, I have to bring it in again for a wheel alignment. Not sure if anyone has these same problem.

I bought a couple new vehicles from Toyota before I've never experienced any of these things before.

Don't think, I will buy anything from Honda again. I was thinking of calling Honda Canada to express my unsatisfaction but not sure where to call.
  • drrocketdrrocket Member Posts: 67
    You are not alone (see the Odyssey Brakes forum). I'm having this problem with my '07 Ody Touring, but it's intermittent -- kind of like playing Russian Roulette, not knowing when the brakes are going to require standing on the pedal. Thus far I have been told that the required brake pedal pressure is within factory specs.

Have you had a satisfactory resolution to your brake problem yet? If so, what was it?

Thanks in advance.
  • nwflanwfla Member Posts: 2
    Just came back from a 6500 mile trip around the US. The 2007 Touring Odyssey W/Nav was great, I averaged 23.2 MPG and had a full load with 3 children and 10 suitcases. Almost no wear on the PAX tires and absolutely no problems with the Van, everything worked as advertised. I did find during a routine oil change in Pa. that the dealers there will change the rubber on the PAX tires for $160 each.
  • babsy2babsy2 Member Posts: 9
    We seem to be mirroring the same issues. Dealer claims brakes are fine but somestimes they require lots of foot pressure in order to stop. Also blew a fuse in of the two 12v adaptors up front. And gas mileage still awful when doing a lot of local driving (14-16, up from 12-13 during the Winter here in New Jersey). Highway mileage and mixed highway and city averages 17-20. If only local mileage could do what the '99 did - 16-18 locally - I'd be much happier.
    The brakes on our Odyssey seem to be doing better. It seems a bit worse when the brakes are still cool. After a few stops they seem to do much better.

Fuel mileage - I've been very pleased with the highway mileage. I think in cooler weather it might even get 28 on the highway. However, I too have noted that the local mileage is a bit low. But that is with my wife doing most of the local driving. I think I could squeeze a couple more miles per gallon out of it than she's getting. I've noticed when riding with her that every time she starts off from a stop sign or traffic light she tends to give all the horses a workout. :P
  • fulcrum81fulcrum81 Member Posts: 9
    we are shopping for a minivan b/w Odyssey and Sienna. The biggest concern I have is the noise(road/wind) -- I own a 2002 honda accord exl and it's a very good car except the noise when I drive on highway--it's so significant that my daughter always complains she cannot hear the music. I am wondering what's the case with odyssey exl 07?
    It's one of the quietest rides we've ever owned. The VW Passat we owned was quieter (until you put your foot in it :shades: ), but not significantly. I'd recommend that you test drive both vans and see which one you like better.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the Odyssey has the rear audio jacks for you own personal set of headphones and ours with the DVD player has the wireless headphones. I haven't tried them out yet, but I believe you can listen to the stereo as well as the DVD, and even if I'm wrong you can still listen to CD's or DVD audio using the headphones.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    The +05' Odysseys are still quite noisy on concrete surfaces. They skimped on wheel well & floor insulation again.

However, the ride (road shock quality) is very much improved since Honda is now using rubber isolation mounts on the subframe.
  • jkewjkew Member Posts: 4
    We just purchased a new 2007 Odyssey EX-L. We like the van, but we're a little concerned about the number of problems we're experiencing with less than 300 miles on the odometer.

There was a ticking sound coming from the driver side dash that I noticed when going over bumps. The dealer replaced the whole front strut assembly and it seems to be fixed.

Now I've noticed a creaking / squeaking sound combined with a clunking sound that comes from the passenger side rear suspension when pushing down to compress the suspension. I'm going to have to make another trip to the dealer for this.

It also seems like the brakes are somewhat soft at times, but the dealer says they are okay. Also, the hood prop is very loose in its clip - seems like it could become a source or rattling, but dealer says this is normal too - anyone notice these issues?

Is it unreasonable for us to be experiencing these sorts of problems in a brand new car? We've had Honda Accords in the past and never had problems like this when they were new. Are other Odyssey owners having these sorts of problems in brand new cars off the lot?

I'm hoping that we'll get these couple of things fixed and then have a relatively trouble free car like our other Hondas. Is this just a matter of getting the intitial bugs worked out, or do you think we're in for a constant barrage or problems?

Thanks!
    I've mentioned the mushy brakes in an earlier post. Dealer told me the same thing. I think the problem is worse when the brakes are cold.

We also had an intermittent rattle toward the right rear of our van. It turned out to be the seat belt buckle hitting against the plastic side panel. However, your creaking/squeaking sounds like a shock to me.

I can only remember one vehicle that I ever bought that didn't have any problems at all when it was brand new. I think once you get the demons exorcised you'll be in great shape.
    thx. My daughter is too young to use the headset. :)
    thx. My daughter is too young to use the headset. :)
    you got a chance to compare it w/ sienna?
    Thanks for the reply jefferyg - I feel better reading your encouraging words. Maybe I've become a bit spoiled with our problem-free Accords in the past.

It sounds like the brake thing really is just normal for these vans. I do hope things will be okay once I get the other demons out.

I did have a frustrating experience today bringing the van to the shop for the creaking / rattling noise I've noticed. When I got to the dealer I tried to demonstrate the noise for them using a method that has worked in my garage each time - just pulling down on the roof a bit to compress the suspension - but it didn't happen at the dealer, or at least it was too loud there to hear it. I got home, put the car in the garage, and I was able to reproduce the noise again - ugghhh! I'm afraid that this is going to be a tough one to get them to recognize and fix.
    Here's a thought. Do you have a painted or really slick finish on the garage floor? It could be just the tire rubbing the concrete.

About the brakes. One thing I have to keep reminding myself in the Ody is that it is NOT a sedan. It doesn't seem as large as it is, but it is actually quite large and heavy. The EX-L is two and a quarter tons when it's completely empty. However, I still wish the brakes felt a bit firmer.
    Actually, I've reproduced the noise from the right rear of our Odyssey in other locations than our garage, and we don't have a painted, slick garage floor, but thanks for the suggestion.

I guess you are right about a 2 1/4 ton vehicle needing some serious braking power to stop - Although it feels soft, it must be some serious power being applied by the brakes.
  • sonofknudsonofknud Member Posts: 50
    The 2007 Odyssey has serious issues. I owned a 2006 Odyssey and traded for 2007 to get the telescoping steering. I know how the brakes worked on the 06. They were perfect. The 2007 has issues. I have mined in over 3 times now. The last time they addmitted a problem and kept it for a week. A leak in the ABS system causes the brakes to be super soft. They replaced the part and it broke again while they were test driving. They did it again and flushed the brake fluid and it was a little better but now it is super soft again. The brakes don't seem to grab like the 2006. Also, do not get me started on the transmission. You but the car in drive on a hill and do not keep the brakes for 3-5 seconds you will roll down the hill backwards while in drive. The changes from 06 to 07 have caused serious issues. I am ready to consider the lemon law or going to another minivan soon. I am calling to make my 4th appointment about the brakes tomorrow.
  • odymikeodymike Member Posts: 23
    FYI, they may only charge $160 for PAX tires, but then you have to add the extras*:

--Replacement Gel Kit - about $35 per tire
    --Labor - depends (I was charged $35 per tire, but local dealer wants $85).

I have never *paid* for anyone to ever install new tires on any vehicle that I have ever owned. So say you get both at $35 per - then that is still $230 per tire (plus tax, disposal fees, etc) - only 44% more.
  • thelemonhondathelemonhonda Member Posts: 2
    Ever since I took delivery of a new EX odyssey about 1 month ago, I notice that it is difficult to start especially after the van has been shut off for a few minutes, it required a few cranks. Before I take it to the dealer and have them to tell me "It all works like that", I am wondering if anyone else has similar starting problem.

Thanks.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    For some reason Honda switched to a long crank on the V6 models. Our 2000 Odyssey has a quick 1/2 second crank but our new '06 Odyssey & our old '03 Accord have long crank times. May have to do with emissions.

The dealer is probably right & it is normal operation.
  • vs0001vs0001 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I have a 2007 Odyssey and am having trouble with both the Traction Control and ABS - Traction Control does not kick in as it is supposed to and ABS ends up leaving skid marks on the surface - meaning it is locking up. The dealer claims it is "within specification". I spoke to a few other owners who ended up saying "the rains at the soccer field where everyone was required to park on the grass ended up causing all Odysseys trouble as none of them could handle the wet grass."

Are others observing the same on this board and if so have you done more than get the "it is within specification" bs? I have never had a car even a 1987 Mercedes with worn out pads and more leave skid marks with ABS.

Bad brakes seems to be a common theme and having read some of the comments about how heavy the vehicle is ... I have towed 4500 pounds behind a Jeep Grand Cherokee and had to brake hard and still haven't had brakes behave like the Honda. Wouldn't dream of having passengers in the Honda let alone tow anything if the brakes behave like they do.

Thanks.
    I've not experienced any ABS problems with our Odyssey, just the mushy feel with the brakes - although that seems to be better than when the van was newer.

Are the skid marks being left by your van long solid skid marks or are the brakes pulsing and leaving a series of short skid marks? The latter would not be unusual for most vehicles with ABS.

I'm also curious as to what you are doing that precipitates the need for your "traction control" to kick in. If you are referring to driving on the wet grass you mentioned, then I don't think that's what VSA is designed to help with. My understanding is that VSA is to help you avoid a rollover, not to get out of the mud.
  • calthicalthi Member Posts: 5
    Hi there, I almost had the same problem with the clunking sound coming from the driver side when turning left or going over the bumps and Honda had to replace the front strut as they said it was leaking. After the fix, I found out there was a ticking sound after turning left or going the bumps again. I brought it in the shop again and the shop foreman said it was normal after he looked at the vehicle underneat as he could not see anything wrong with it. I then realized my wheel align seemed to be pulling to the left quite a bit and I brought it in again for the wheel alignment which they charged me because they said it was not under warranty if it was over 500K. The noise seemed to go away after the wheel alignment. I am still thinking I should have bought the Sienna instead.
  • spring1111spring1111 Member Posts: 11
    We recently purchased a 2007 EX. Just found there were no grab handles for the second row. Only four big holes are there. It is very strange to us. Called the dealer. they said it was the Honda's problem, Honda forgot to install the handles. I just doubt it. Shouldn't every car be completely inspected before it is delivered? Had anyone had/heard of this kind of issue before? I also found a screw is missing for the extra seat cabinet. Honda told me I might ask for an exchange from the dealer. But the dealer refused to do so. They asked me to come back to fix these problems. But they do not have the handles available and they have to order them. It is just too weird to me. So what should be the best way to solve this issue? Thanks!
    The van should not have left the factory without the handles, and the dealer should have caught something like that. MOF the dealer had two opportunities, b/c it should have been noted when they prepped the van before being put on the lot, and then it should have gone through a pre-delivery inspection. Neither the dealer nor Honda can get by with finger pointing on this one.

The only reason I can even imagine for removing the grab handles would be to remove the headliner - which might be necessary for installing something like a DVD player.

If I were you, I'd milk Honda AND the dealer for all I could get out of a mistake that stupid. At the very least they ought to give you a free oil change for the inconvenience. Did you already get the survey from Honda regarding your purchasing experience? If not you might be able to use it to your favor when it does come. From what I hear, they take those things quite seriously.

I'm not sure about the missing screw. What do you mean by "extra seat cabinet"?
  • vs0001vs0001 Member Posts: 2
    "Are the skid marks being left by your van long solid skid marks or are the brakes pulsing and leaving a series of short skid marks? The latter would not be unusual for most vehicles with ABS."

Long skid marks - no the brakes don't pulsate as they are supposed to. As far as the short skid marks - never seen that before on good ABS systems since the time pulse times are supposed to be in the millisecond range. I have had ABS since a 1992 on various vehicles including a 1987 model MB that still didn't do what this does.

That is why it is so disappointing.

"I'm also curious as to what you are doing that precipitates the need for your "traction control" to kick in."

Actually VSA versus traction control are two different things. VSA uses traction control and ABS to stabilize the car. However traction control prevents wheel slipping by applying the brakes to both wheel - such as when one wheel is on wet surface and the other on dry, the wheel on wet will spin faster and so the brakes are applied to prevent the car from going into a spin. Imagine a box that you push from the rear left side only. The left rear starts moving to the front and the right front becomes a pivot point. By slowing the traction wheel as well, the car doesn't get pulled to one side and so is prevented from going into a spin.

Again all other vehicles with traction control that I have driven have never had a wheel spin like this and that includes rear wheel drive cars in snow!

It is these safety features that I am so used to trusting that are failing in this vehicle. And it may just be that the standard claimed by Honda is different from a GM, Chrysler, BMW or Mercedes. That is what I am trying to put a handle on. Just some reference on ABS and Traction Control that shows that ABS brakes never lock (brakes are applied and released and re-applied at up to 20 times per second)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_brakes
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traction_control

Thanks.
    I meant the storage compartment for the extra seat in the middle of the second row. Right on the bottom inside the compartment, the screw on the right side is missing.

I do not know if they tried to install something. But it seems not usual to install a DVD layer for an EX. I found most are for EX-L though.

Now I just become very suspicious about every parts of the vehicle. I am worried about if there would be anything else missing that we might be not aware of at all.
    I wouldn't fret about every part. If we all knew what parts were missing and/or defective from the get-go on our cars, we'd probably never drive again.

As far as the DVD players - you can get an aftermarket player that is identical to the one Honda puts in the vans with RES. There are tons of others out there that can also be mounted in most any kind of vehicle and typically they cost considerably less than the factory models.

In your case, I was wondering if perhaps the dealer had a customer before you who wanted a DVD player installed and that's the only way they could make the deal work... so they got ready to install and then the deal fell through, and they just forgot to put the handles back. I'm not saying that's what happened, but it is a plausible explanation.
    Thanks Jefferyg. Tried to call Honda. They said it was the dealer's responsibility. The dealership did not want to compensate for anything, just filled our tank. They still do not have the handles yet. We have no idea when it will be fixed. Two hours for a round trip to the dealership is too much for us going there. If I were to buy a car again, I would think of buying at a local dealer.
    Two hours for a round trip to the dealership is too much for us going there. If I were to buy a car again, I would think of buying at a local dealer.

My friend, that's the reason we no longer drive a VW. Except in our case it was two hours one way. It still takes about 30 minutes to get to the Honda dealer, but at least if I have an appointment for an oil change, I can be back home in about 90 minutes.

I think I'd press them a little harder. Something that dumb is worth more than just one tank of gas, and as far as you are from the dealership, you burned up at least a quarter tank on the trip. Sure, a tank full of gas these days costs more than an oil change (who'd of ever thought that five years ago :mad: ). But at the same time, an oil change lasts at least 4600 miles longer than a tank of gas.
  • mlucas2007odymlucas2007ody Member Posts: 7
    We had a similar issue (minus the sickness); if the van sits a while it gets a sort of cheese type smell which is unpleasant. It’s still new (3weeks) so I was figuring it would go away soon. My wife says it’s just the new car smell, but I don’t agree. Does your van have the smell?
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    I also suspect the new car materials releasing some sort of stuffs made my wife allergic to. She developed itchy hive (allergy symptom) every time after she sit in my new 07 Odyssey during the 1st month. The 2nd month seems to be OK now.
  • teke175teke175 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought an '07 EX-L myself. The floor storage lock is listed only on their Touring model in their literature.
  • counselguy1counselguy1 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought an 07 EX-L. I can't seem to find a remote rear hatch release, which really surprises me. I know that the Touring has an electric hatch mechanism, but can't believe lesser models wouldn't have a remote opener somewhere near the driver. Am I missing somthing?
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.