Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Problems. Please help!

Comments

• I anticipate buying a 4 x4 quad and cannot find a reply to the owner who had engine ping in his v8. Is this a common happening or is it an easily fixed one? Thanks for any help. tigercat2
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,083
    (tigercat2)Which V8 are you referring to.... depending on the vehicle year there are 3 to choose from.

That said...Ping is generally not considerd a "problem". It is a phenomena that occours when an internal combustion engine is running at its most efficent fuel-mixture and ignition-timing especially under a heavy load on a hot day.

There are conditions when pinging is caused by carbon build-up in the combustion chambers or an out-of-tune state.... but this is not a "problem" with the engine design itself.

A related phenomena... pre-ignition can cause engine damage under some conditions.
  • Yeah ! Congratulations Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth
    You did it, U Won ! Worldwide consumers have paid there hard earned money and you provided worldwide consumers with the worst Engineered vehicles on Earth...

Got to hand it to Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth you have Won beaten all your consumers.

Wise old saying you can't read a book by its cover :O)
    Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth great looking vehicle unfortunately for the unsuspecting consumer even to date Transmission failure, head gasket failure , too many more serious problems Etc...
    Just read this Newsgroup 2% Satisfied , 98% Unsatisfied . Surf the internet U will find 100s of thousands of Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle owners that are Big Losers. Telling there Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle Horror stories.

Now that Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth consumers have read the book by owning one of the worst Engineered vehicles on Earth. Consumers worldwide learned a costly but valuable lesson.

Now we have come to realize. Yes Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth they are the Winners.

Yep we the "Consumers of Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicles are the BIG LOSERS" !

Were losing vehicle trade in, Value its Awful.
    Quality Automobile Dealers don't want your Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle offering 50% of Galves Trade in if in Mint Condition.
    Even Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth Dealers are offering 50% of Galves. Now we are driving around in a nearly worthless Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle and paying for Major repairs :O(
    Its not going to get any better cause Smart Consumers are not Buying a New or even thinking of buying a used Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle.

We sure learned a Valuable Lesson > Never again buy Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicles. For those few Die Hards remember( Only a Fool Loses Twice )

Rejoice fellow Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle consumers now it is our turn to Win.

Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth your profits are gone, Stocks are dropping to an all time low Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth is just hanging on by a thread bankruptcy is near Hooray - Yeah !
    Now how does it feel to be a LOSER ! Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth :O)

Worldwide automotive consumers buy smart be a Winner don't become a Loser like the rest of us who owned or still own the worst engineered vehicles on Earth.
    Let Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth become the final Loser.
  • time to have your medication adjusted.
  • I have a 2001 Dakota Quad cab with the following features: 4X4, 3.9L, P265/70R16 OWL tires, manual tarns with 3.55 rear. I have two problems that the dealer can't figure out (of course). One is a loud whine (hum) coming from the rear when coasting a 40 MPH and at power at 60 MPH. When coasting at 40 I put the tarns in neutral and it still whines. I have also eliminated road conditions as a possibility. The other problem is a rattle in the right front side when going over a bump.

Does anyone have any ideas or run across this problem before?
  • bobcat12bobcat12 Posts: 1
    I have 3400 hi on mine and hearing the same whine and front end bump at times. Until now, I have not had any reason to go back to the dealer for anything, so it was not checked out. I am a mechanic and the whine sounds like the rear was not set up properly when asembled. I am a little disappointed in the 14 mpg, but even in 2wd. it is a tank in snow, better than the A.W.D. Explorer it replaced. if anyone finds a solution, please let me know.
  • 2nddak2nddak Posts: 44
    Jack, Your problems run deeper than the vehicle that you own!
  • ben221ben221 Posts: 8
    I bought a 2000 Dakota excab.V-6 3.9 and I agree with chrydodjeep. The best I get on an average winter day here in the great northeast is 13mpg. In this day and age there shouldnt be a V-6 engine on this planet that gets 13mpg highway. Dodge has fallen back into there old way of thinking from the 70's (what a shame). The thing that gets me the most is the lying the dealers have to do in order to sell this SCRAP IRON to the public Like posting EPA stickers on their trucks that estamate 18mpg average. There in know way on this earth that this truck could ever come close to that mileage and Dodge knows it. I've always try to buy American but now that the Germans have taken over the company I beleive the next truck I own is going to be a Chevy. Most of my friends drive full size Chevy excab w/ V-8 engines and all of them get between 16-21mpg highway. Lets face it folks,,,,,,the Germans have ripped us off.
  • bookittybookitty Posts: 1,303
    Ben, unfortunately you did not access the Pickup Forum prior to purchasing, but if you had, you would have been informed via postings that the 3.9 is at best a marginal engine for a truck the size and weight of a Dakota. In 1995 before purchasing my Dakota club cab, I test drove the the 3.9 and opted for the 5.2 V8 which got decent mileage as well as generating more than sufficient power. My 2000 Quad cab (4X4, 4.7, 3.55 and 5 speed) averages about 18.3 for mixed driving (no heavy traffic). Your mileage report seems excessively poor, and perhaps there is something in your particular vehicle that is malfunctioning to produce that type of MPG. There are various reasons for poor mileage ranging from driving habits to engine governing computer error. I along with many others am well satisfied with my Dodge Dakota, but I will not attempt to defend Dodge because I don't have to. Nor will I defend and/or agree with the ravings of chrydodjeep because they are totally indefensible and without any real documentation. If you haven't visited your service department regarding the problem, I suggest that you do so. If that offers no solution, ask to meet with the area representative. In any case, have written documentation of fuel consumed over mileage driven and brief notations as to type of driving, traffic situations, temperature, etc. I hope that you can get this resolved in a reasonable manner. Good luck.

Bookitty
  • namfflownamfflow Posts: 202
    I have a 97 club cab, 5.2 2 wheel drive. I now have 45000 miles on it with zero problems. In fact it has been so good I just ordered a 2nd one on Saturday.

What I can tell the folks that have problems is that it is most likely the dealer. One thing I have always hated about Chrysler was their dealer service. They expect you to find the problem and then they might fix it. I have a Stratus that I bought in 99 (that I am trading for the Dakota) that is hard to start when fuel is at 1/8 tank. I had the dealer look at it and they insist nothing is wrong (of course) I told them to pul the pickup and check the welds. They said I would have to pay because that isn't part of the warranty service say what? The idea is to fix the damn problem not make the customer solve it. BTW, the reason I wanted the pick up checked is because if a pin hole is in the tube by the pickup it can cause it not to want to pick up the fuel. Once it starts its okay. Point being, Chrysler needs to get a better dealer service organization together. I will bet that if the people here with the biggest problems had a better dealer they would actually be happy campers.
    Say what you want but there should be laws preventing auto makers from selling V-6 engines that only get 13mpg,,,,,,for enviromental reasons if nothing else. And as far as your arguement that its a heavy truck and small engine then why would Dodge dump such mismatched [non-permissible content removed] on the market to begin with???????? I own an Intreped and I'm very happy with it,,,,,,but Dodge should stay out of the truck business,,,,,,I knew the Ram series of trucks only get 10-12mpg,,,,,,but who would have thought that their small trucks would get the same??
    Ben,we recently discussed your problem. The Dodge Dakota with V8 gets MPG that compares favorably with other trucks given the same type drive line equipment. Next time you purchase a vehicle or any other major product I would suggest that you utilize the power of the Internet (which you obviously have at your fingertips) "prior" to purchasing. All of this information is and was available to assist in making an intelligent choice. The 3.9 engine is old technology, yet you chose to select it. "It is better to light one candle then to sit and curse the darkness."

Bookitty
    So Bookkitty,,,,your telling me that its ok the DaimlerChrysler feeds the consumer full of B.S. about what they should be able to expect to get for fuel mileage on there trucks????? Why would any truck maker give misleading information about there product line if they didnt know that this [non-permissible content removed] wouldnt sell if they told the truth???? I dont know about you Bookkitty but when I do business in good faith with another party I expect I we will both get what we bargained for. Should any consumer expect anything less????? Would Like to hear from others on this,,,And by the way,,,Do you get the mileage on your V-8 that Dodge projected?????? Like I said before Chevy has full size trucks that get as high as 21mpg highway. Why is Dodge trying so hard to be 3rd rate??? Tell me again that I'm the one thats wrong here.
  • bobs5bobs5 Posts: 557
    The ESTIMATED gas mileage figure of my truck is 14/19. 4.7L v8, manual tranny, 3.55 axle.
    By my calculations, the best so far is 16.5 mpg. Worst was 14 mpg. This is local driving. I have not been on a long trip yet so I don't know what all highway driving will produce.
    Only 2100 miles on the truck now, the mileage should get better as the enging breaks in.
    The window sticker states that actual gas mileage can vary +/- 3 mpg from the estimated figures.
    Bob
  • davids1davids1 Posts: 411
    My full size Ram 1500 Quad 4x4 (5.2L) gets mileage pretty much in accordance with the window sticker. 12-13 combined around town driving (sticker says 13 city). I have also gotten as high as 18 on a slow easy trip along the Ohio River to Cincinnati (sticker says 18 highway). A major player on this trip was that I had to keep the truck around 55mph along Rt. 52. Too many speed traps. This kept the tranny from dropping out of OD and kept the RPM's low, hence the good mpg.

Bookitty's comments were geared more toward the knowledge arena. There is a wealth of information out there on every vehicle you can purchase. A little bit of research can go a long way. I would never purchase a vehicle without doing some background checks on maintenance histories, engine capabilities and mileage comparisons.
    Ben, I don't want to argue with you or attempt to change your opinion. I also cannot buy into the fact that all of the trucks made by Dodge miss so severely, the EPA estimates (accent on estimates). My particular truck (2000 Dakota Quad with 4X4, 4.7 V8, 5 speed 3.55 differential(s) delivers as much or more than the posted estimates and may be attributed to the following. Garage kept where the temperature never falls below 38 degrees, driving for the most part in cruise control on relatively flat highway @ 60 MPH. The use of an A.R.E. tonneau cover reduces somewhat the wind resistance. Selection of a drive train combination with sufficient power to keep lugging at a minimum. Good driving habits as related to acceleration and braking (anticipating traffic conditions to keep lower gears at a minimum). Perhaps as bobs5 mentioned, it is the formulation and or quality of the fuel, although the majority of my fuel is purchased in South NJ and some in Eastern PA. I continue to think that if your MPG is correctly calculated, that there is a problem with your particular vehicle. If you really think that Dodge is trying to rip off consumers, then I feel that you should pursue that issue with a consumer agency. I feel, as do others on this forum, that the Dakota is a good truck, and I am very satisfied by mine. I also can see your frustration with your truck's performance and feel that you should seek satisfaction. The tenure of my previous posts were not to anger and upset you Ben, but to imply the importance of researching "prior" to any major purchase decision to assess whether the product will suit your particular needs. Good luck, and I hope that you find a viable solution to your problem.

Bookitty
  • wilmar1wilmar1 Posts: 32
    Received a recall today to repair transmission filler tube. Anyone else?
  • mfd1700mfd1700 Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Dakota Club Cab, 2 wd, 3.9L, 5 spd, & 3.55 axle. The only mod's I have made to the truck are a K & N Filter Injection Performance Kit, a Gibson 3" cat-back exhaust & some 16" rims & tires. Right now my pickup is getting around 16 to 18 combined city driving. The last time I took it out on the freeway (2 weeks ago) it got roughly 24 mpg. I drove approx. 242 miles round trip & it took right at 10 gallons to top the tank off. Not bad I thought. I have had a couple of problems with it though. The biggest problem I have had has been with the catalytic converter, I am on the third one. The first one went out 8 months after I got the pickup. It was replaced, then 9 months later that one went out. Now i am on the third one & it has been almost a year & still going stong. The only other major problem was when the left front wheel bearing went out at 18,000 miles. Other than that there has been nothing else major wrong with it.
  • stnickstnick Posts: 177
    Okay Ben, you made a point about your mileage being poor and I understand that, however, I don't feel you're blaming the proper people. As I understand, the EPA is the entity that tests and posts the information on manufacturer's mileage stickers. Dodge, GM, Ford, etc., are not the people that are responsible for the testing of the vehicles. My Quad Cab 4.7L, auto., 4X4, sticker lists 14 in city and 19 highway. I have experienced 19 on the highway twice with 2000 miles on vehicle at that time. In the worst winter this year, it has not dropped below 13.5 MPG. I feel it has been well represented. My previous truck '95 Ranger V-6, rated 16 city and 21 highway, also performed at or above sticker, most of the time. I have friends with Fords and Chevys and they too seem to be near sticker rating on mileage. I feel your vehicle has a problem specific to that vehicle. Take it in and have it checked. Good Luck, Nick.
  • Listen to the words of bookitty he is wise beyond his years . . .
This discussion has been closed.