Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Suburban/Tahoe Rough Idle and Stalling

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    That's all of the cylinders on one bank/head of the 'V'.

I'd suspect head gasket, intake manifold gasket, or maybe something messed with the sparkplug wires on that side of the engine.
  • I drove it today after being park in heated shop and still the same. A service manager at a local GM dealer said it might be the intake gasket. Another guy I know works at a Ford dealership said it would be best to put it on a GM scanner to monitor all the functions, which I gather is more than just getting error code readings. Hopefully, I'll find out more in the next couple of days. If it is the intake manifold gasket, I have read in other posts that there are different qualities of gaskets(one said the orange was is the better)? I know I am getting ahead of my self but, are there other things that should be done at the same time if that is my next step. BTW, it has 130K. Thanks.
  • One thing that hasn't been brought up on these misfire codes ( the dreaded p300 especially) is a faulty egr valve. I've had 3 different gm's and every time the rough idle was either the maf sensor or the egr valve.
  • tomlugtomlug Posts: 1
    I just replaced intake manifold gaskets and got the rough idle thing going on too. I pulled the connector out of the egr valve and nothing happened!. Is that a good sign that it is not working? Sounds like it to me. I'm also going to check the new wires for shorting paths also. That would be bad. The car ran well before I replaced the Intake manifold gaskets. I must have screwed something up. When you make a change and something is different, that is valid data and it should not be ignored. Lesson learned. I'll post my findings when I learn what went wrong.
  • arp10arp10 Posts: 1
    HI. did you ever find out what was wrong with 2009 Sub? I have 2009 Tahoe and it has stalled on me 5 different times. Once at a stop sign and the rest driving down the road. No engine lights come on. I have been able to start it back up each time. Of course I brought it to the dealership and they do not know what is wrong. Since they hooked it up to the computer and it showed nothing wrong they cannot fix it. Please let me know any info. Thanks!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,108
    Hello Arp10,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me more information about your situation with your vehicle so I can look into it further? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • I have a 95 burb with the 5.7L. It tends to bog and want to stall when I try to accelerate from a stop. If it is already moving, it usually accelerates just fine. I have replaced the ignition control module, ignition coil, oxygen sensor, and fuel filter. The plugs and wires were replaced about 30k miles ago. I figure it could be the fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump relay, or possibly the intake manifold gasket. Any advice or experience with diagnosing this issue? I do have oil on and around the intake manifold and valve covers. I know the oil could easily just be from bad valve cover gaskets and is an easy enough replacement. Could the manifold absolute pressue sensor contribute to this rough running/acceleration issue? I don't know much about MAP sensors, so I do not know how much they affect fuel/air mixture and delivery. Any insight would be much appreciated. The model I own has TBI, so it looks like the fuel pressure regulator is located within the throttle body assembly, from the way the part looks. Has anyone with an older, TBI model replaced their FPR?
  • Arp10,

I can relate to your frustrations with your 2009 Suburban. We have a 2009 Suburban that my wife drives for her practice (Veterinarian). We purchased this vehicle in July 2009, which was an upgrade from our '03 Tahoe.

Late last Fall my wife was driving to work on the beltway (70 mph) & the Suburban just shut down on her. No power steering or brakes. Onstar said there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. She got it started & 3 miles later, it did the same thing. We've had it into the Chevy dealership 5 times & everytime we take it in they say the computer does not show anything wrong. However, they started to investigate & supposedly found some issues. After 5 trips we were told everything was fixed & if we had any further problems GM would do a buy-back on the vehicle.

A couple of weeks ago my wife started having problems again & it's also acting like the transmission isn't right. We contacted the dealer & they said they wanted to dig into it further (6 service visits in 10 months). Needless to say, we've been a week without our Suburban & driving a used Suburban off the dealer's lot. We ar completely frustrated & don't know where to turn at this point other than getting our Attorney involved.

I've always been a loyal Chevy owner, but this "Lemon" has taken the cake! As much as I hate to say it, I maybe buying Ford from know on.

Have you had any luck in getting your issues resolved?

Thanks (Not)! :lemon:
    Hello Retzmountn,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you have had concerns with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into it further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • akrbugakrbug Posts: 1
    June 6,

I experienced this same problem Friday afternoon. I was driving home from my children's school with 4 little girls riding in the back. When I was making the left turn into my neighborhood the vehicle seemed to suddenly turn off and the steering wheel was practically impossible to turn. Their was a vehicle approaching from the opposite direction but luckily I made it across and was halfway on the grass and halfway in the right hand turning lane to pull into the neighborhood. Needless to say I was a bit shook up. I called the dealer and had the vehicle towed, as of now they haven't found anything wrong with it.

The only thing I can think of that I forgot to tell the service department is that I used the remote start before driving the vehicle??

If you can help me direct the service department in finding the problem I would greatly appreciate it. I feel lucky this happened where and when it did but can't help but fear its reoccurrence.

Sincerely,
    akrbug
  • 94454sub94454sub Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 K2500 454 suburban with 140K miles. It started having a surging idle issue where the idle will not hold while in park or at low speeds. At high speeds it runs pretty well with an occasional miss or loss of power. The manifold gasket, computer, MAP sensor, plugs, wires, and EGR has been replaced. The throtle valve body has been cleaned and checked as well as fuel pressure.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Hello Akrbug,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Have you got the vehicle back from the dealership, or are they still trying to diagnose the problem? Can you keep me informed as to how this goes? Thank you,
  • fseiffseif Posts: 1
    Dated: 14June2010
    I started experiencing malfunction with this car as of last Friday. Car shut down itself while driving 3 different times. Dealer at the first visit declared the car safe to drive as his test drive did not duplicate the problem. No Log Entry made for this visit. I returned the car Monday to inform the dealer with on going issues and they confirmed there is a bulletin from manufacture with repair requirements. They have made some adjustment but I do not feel safe driving this car any longer. They claim the hot weather causing it and it needs re-calabration. This is a new one to me and I must admit: "A Good One".

I have contacted GM Customer service and waiting for reply. My sincere question to GM is: if you know this problem is so wide spread why don't you make a reacll, have not you learned anything from Toyota experiance???!!! Perhaps they are waiting for a class action lawsuit as I can see enough clients for such a suit already.
    Farid
  • rpdandyrpdandy Posts: 1
    My son's '99 Chevy C/K 2500, 7.4L is misfiring on one cylinder. I hooked up the OBD but no codes were returned. Ck engine light wasn't on but I thought I should give a shot. The plug wires all seem to be in good shape and are nice and snug. This truck has always been very well maintained.
    The only electronic equipment I have is an OBD and a multimeter. Can anyone help me to diagnose the problem? I'm very old school when it comes to mechanics. You know, points, plugs, carburetors and vacuum lines. I would really appreciate it if someone could at least point me in the right direction.
  • arichmondarichmond Posts: 3
    My '99 Suburban ignition buzzer does not go off when you start the ignition, close and reclose the door, and turn the headlights on and off. I checked what I thought was the appropriate fuse and it is still good. What can this be, and could there be another way to deactivate this?
  • johnba33johnba33 Posts: 1
    Good advice. After taking our Suburban on a trip this past weekend I found that it had problems idling and got worse throughout the trip. It also had a bad battery which I replaced today but it did not solve the idling issue.

Removing the throttle body revealed a lot of carbon/oil buildup which I cleaned off with degreaser and the problem went away. The idle is rock solid now. Thank goodness for Google...
  • dangar64dangar64 Posts: 6
    First of all I to have the same problem as many others of stalling while driving on the highway. It just dies but starts up again. Now the problem is that as I am driving and for some unknown reason it does not accelerate, the motor is runnuing but I can not accelerate it to move. I turn it off and on until it starts. as I do the turning on and off it will backfire. after about 5 minutes I am fine but will eventually do it again Any clues as to what could cause this???
    Hello Dangar64,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your vehicle. How long has the concern been present? Have you had anyone diagnose the issue? Can you please email me your VIN and current mileage? You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
  • pulianapuliana Posts: 2
    My wife and I have an '09 Suburban LT which is nearly one year old. About 6 months ago my wife began complaining that the vehicle would not start. Also around this time the check engine light began coming which disabled the remote start. We brought it to a dealer and they could not find anything wrong, told us that the gas cap was not put on correctly, and reset the check engine light. A few weeks later it happened again. Brought it to the dealer and they could not find anything wrong with the starter, replaced the gas cap, and sent us on our way. This past week we took the Suburban on a 750 mile trip where I drove. One morning I went to start it and the vehicle would not start. All of the lights came on and stayed on after I turned the key off. Turned the key again it started but alas the check engine light came on again. I also noticed that the vehicle idles roughly especially compared to our 2004 Suburban Z71.

This is our 4th Suburban but we are quickly losing our faith in GM. I talk to the dealer and they cannot find anything wrong. We are bringing it in for the 3rd time this week and each time we need to get a rental car.

Any thoughts????? :lemon: ?
    Hello Puliana,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your vehicle. Do you use your remote start when the vehicle dies? Is the vehicle currently at the dealership? Can you please email me your VIN and current mileage? You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
  • when you turn your ignition key to on, is there a light that says Security in your dash, if so is it blinking ? This will only blink when not starting. If you have this light and it is blinking when not starting, leave key in the on postion until light quits blinking, then start motor if it starts, the problem is the key and chip in start switch witch needs to be replace and reprogramed. Not sure if this applies to you.
  • tjdsdgtjdsdg Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Suburban 5.3L with 130,000 miles. It had a coolant leak so I had the head gaskets replaced. They also replaced the plugs & wires at the same time.Then about 1 week later it began running rough and it was diagnosed as the catalytic converters. I had both replaced, all 4 O2 sensors and the exhaust system as when one of the converters went it wrecked that as well. Now 1 week has gone by and it is idling & running rough again. When you stop it will just about stall then there is very little power when you take off. At some point it will begin to gain power but still runs rough. Prior to replacing the head gaskets the vehicle ran great. Any ideas?
  • cowboydcowboyd Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problems others. While driving it will lose power and die, or while idling it will start idling rough and backfire. We have replaced both knock sensors and fuel filter, the fuel presser is good but still having problems.
  • pulianapuliana Posts: 2
    No this is not it. We brought it to the dealer and they kept it for a couple of days. Changed the fuel pump and it ran fine for two weeks. Last night my wife started it and the check engine came back on and the rough idle returned. This will mark the 6th time it has been back to the dealer. 20k miles...1 year old...think we have a lemon on our hands!! :lemon:
    Hello Puliana,
    I apologize that you have been having concerns with your vehicle. Can you please email me with more information? Can you please include your VIN? You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
  • We have a 2009 Chevy Suburban and we've had our suburban in several times due to a high pitched noise inside the car, which after several visits is now for the most part gone. Our other issues is the very loud idle which several people have commented on. The most important issue we have and what really scares us is that our car has stalled 6x now. The last one being on the highway today as we were pulling out. It seems to stall when we are stopping and then starting to accelerate. We will call the dealer on Monday again and have it looked at again. We do not like to drive this anymore because we are really worried for our family. I'm sick of bringing a new expensive car in to the shop and tired of using loaners. This shouldn't be happening to $50,000 car, ugh!!!!
  • Cont..we would be at a stop light and the tackometer would rev up to 2 or 3 for no reason and this would occur also at lower speeds. We had checked into lemon laws and were informed about after 24,000 miles you could not make a claim, and therefore since we were approaching that number, we decided to put the heat on our chevy dealership for a chevy buy back. Basically we explained we were con cerned of our family's safety, and felt unsafe in an unpredictable vehicle. The dealer owner, a chevy regional GM rep, head of service dept and we met and came to an amicable agreement that they "buy back" our vehicle for it's value w/ the # miles we drove and put that value toward another vehicle . We are now driving a 2010 suburban and have had NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER:)
  • ultimusultimus Posts: 2
    edited January 2011
    So I guess this is not a problem of my own, either. I have a 2009 Chevy Suburban. The engine failed on me now the 3rd time and I'm having my car towed in tomorrow. The 2nd time I had this problem, the dealership even charged me for this problem as they claimed the car hit a rock or something on the road that caused the problem and I was right passed out of the bumper-to-bumper warranty. What kind of car shuts off its engine by hitting a small rock from a paved road from the bottom? And if so, why does it give multiple messages before it shuts down instead of stalling all of a sudden due to the rock damage?

Now since this happened a third time, I don't believe a rock caused the problem. If it even was a rock, Chevy must have made a horrible design to make rocks shut down their engine in the middle of the highway.

I almost liked this car but from this engine problem, I have very serious doubts about this car and GM/Chevrolet itself. If this problem is not completely solved this 3rd time, I will never EVER buy a Chevrolet car again and my children and grandchildren will stay away from it also, no matter what model it is. Bad luck can happen 2 or maybe 3 times, but if it happens again, I know there is a very serious problem with the company and the cars they make and ALSO how they deal with their problems.

It's very scary when you see your car engine stopping right before your eyes in the middle of a dark night on a busy highway. I hope this is the last time I see this problem.
    ultimus,
    Can you please email me and update me on your situation. Please include your VIN and current mileage. Thank You, I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • WOW!! Boy, after reading all of these problems with the 2009 Suburban, I think GM needs to step up and have a recall! Since January 3rd of this year, my 2009 LTZ with only 26k miles has been in the shop 3 times for reduced engine power while driving. The first visit they reset a few things and cleand the throttle body. The 2nd time it happen was 10 days later and they did the same thing. They said that they were unsuccessful at getting the car to do what it did for me so they put a data recorder in it so they could pinpoint the problem. Five days later it the engine revved up and it started to stall and no engine power. I had the dealership tow back in. 2 days later I was told to come get my car and try it out. They reset a few things and cleaned the throttle body, once again! I told them that I would NOT be a test driver on a car that has failed me 3 times prior. I am the mother of 3 small children and I was not willing to take the risk of it stalling on the highway and getting hit by a mac truck. Chevy/GM should not want that to happen! I spent 55k and exactly 18 months in this car, but under NO circumstances will I drive it again. After refusing to drive it, my dealership called GM and GM said to run additional testing and replace the throttle body. It will be replaced this week. I have NO confidence that GM knows what the problem is and they are just guessing that this will help! What will it take? A mother and her 3 children getting killed in a car that's proven unsafe? Step up GM and buy back and have a major safety recall on this car!