Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Journey Crossover

albookalbook Posts: 1,282
The old Pacifica wasn't a big hit, but in this new age of the CUV, can Chrysler finally come up with a legitament MDX fighter? Can Dodge (the true bearer of the "JX49" codename) enter the midsize arena with an SUV that's game enough to beat the well established Pilot/ Highlander, as well as the new hit GMC Acadia/Saturn Oulook, and Ford Edge? What do you think?

Comments

• albookalbook Posts: 1,282
    Saw some sketches on what this might look like, but couln't figure out how to put them on this sight. this could be the major hit that CHrysler needs- or it could be like the new Sebring. Then again, I think Sebring should sell well.
  • tshoetshoe NorthWestPosts: 3
    With the new pictures that just came out the new SUV doesn't look to bad. Kind of wimpy/wagon/mini-van style though. I would prefer a little tougher and larger, more in-between the Nitro and Durango. V-6 is ok but it has to be able to tow 3000 pounds with AWD. Does anybody know the specs on interior room? Is the back seat usable?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    Huh, got a link to the pics? I'm sure others would love to see!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Chrysler better make their version one worthy of competition with the likes of Volvo XC90/ MDX. If it's badg engineering, they have truely messed up. THis is the Pacifica replacement, too.
  • gasman1gasman1 Posts: 321
    It was on two sites today. The better site (more pics and more information) is: http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2007/112_0708_2009_dodge_journey

I think they have a winner if they do three things:

1. Get the MPG up. There's absolutely no reason a vehicle this size can survive with the MPG they mention (19/25 on the 4 CYL and 17/23 or 16/22 on the V-6s).

2. Keep the price down to make it COMPETITVE.

3. Make sure the interior has a quality feel. Cheap boxes may sell to some, but not me.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,438
    i see another failure here. Underpowered and underefficient. I mean, how is it they have cut 15 hp from the Pacifica and get the same mileage? What could possibly be the appeal here that was not present in the Pacifica?

We have a Pac and are quite pleased with it. I'm not sure why it was such a supposed flop. We find it much more luxurious than our Pilot was, and for less $$ after incentives. Where it lacks is refinement in the powertrain and on efficiency. Our Pilot got a couple of miles more per gallon. I felt if the Pac had a 5-speed tranny, like the Pilot, it may have been a close match. Instead, Chrysler responded by dropping in a 6-speed auto, which was a good idea, but then they put in a less efficient 4 liter with it, thereby negating any efficiency advantage the new tranny may have provided. They just don't see to get it.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

Underpowered and underefficient. I mean, how is it they have cut 15 hp from the Pacifica and get the same mileage? What could possibly be the appeal here that was not present in the Pacifica?

Well, for starters, it's not a Pacifica.
    THis is a huge step up from the Pacifica already. The Pacifica is a minivan (not what buyers want), and the interior and space and quality is a big let down.
    Is any of that based in fact? I'll answer for you. No. Well, OK, maybe 1 point ... read on.

This thing looks more like a minivan to me than the Pac. Neither, however, are minivans, thanks to no sliding door.

The interior of the Pac is far from a letdown. I have yet to have someone in ours who did NOT comment how luxurious it is. Have you driven the competition? We liked our Pilot, but it comes nowhere near the refinement of the Pac on interior comfort. I agree that the interior dimensions in terms of cabin height leave a bit to be desired. Its not as open and airy as many mid-sized utes. And maybe that was its downfall.

Quality? Well, its a matter of personal experience. We've had no problems to speak of. I'd say its been on par with our Pilot so far. Both had 1 electrical glitch each. And I believe 1 recall each.

The interior of the Pac is far from a letdown. I have yet to have someone in ours who did NOT comment how luxurious it is. Have you driven the competition? We liked our Pilot, but it comes nowhere near the refinement of the Pac on interior comfort. I agree that the interior dimensions in terms of cabin height leave a bit to be desired. Its not as open and airy as many mid-sized utes. And maybe that was its downfall.

Is any of that based in fact? Let me help you out- NO. The interior fails to meet todays standards (I'll giv ethat one a break- it is 5 years old) Both the interior and exterior are dated. Comfort is terrible. Chrysler should just discontinue it because they won't be selling very many more. Any one looking at this versus the Buick Enclave will turn their noses up after just sitting inisde this!

We can gripe all we want about if it was a failure or not, but there is one factor that determines it-sales. Thankyou!!!
    That's why this new crossover has to be what the Pacifica wasn't- competitive.
    Is any of that based in fact?

Ummmm... yes. Let me help you out by restating one important fact in my post: I have yet to have someone in ours who did NOT comment how luxurious it is.

Comfort is terrible.

That's obviously going to vary by person. As I said, we find it more comfortable than our Pilot. And after a 180 mile roundtrip in my Accord 2 days ago, I can tell you the Pac is much more comfortable than that, too (yeah, i know, not the same class, but those are the 2 commuter cars in my driveway right now, so its my comparison).

I'm not sure why you think this one is going to blow the Pac out of the water when we haven't even seen it yet. Yeah, maybe I shouldn't be so judgemental about it either, but so far, based on power, efficiency, and appearance, its not winning me over from my Pac.

Any one looking at this versus the Buick Enclave will turn their noses up after just sitting inisde this!

An Enclave equipped similarly to my Pac would cost me about $10k more than I paid. So, yeah, I sure HOPE it would be a step up!

• twaintwain Posts: 185
    Chrysler badly needs some fuel efficient engines. We need diesels... bad. Put a 30-35mpg diesel in this thing and it might be a winner. As is, it's another loser.

Eagerly awaiting the Tiguan and its 2.0 TDI.
  • The Dodge Journey will almost certainly get a real world-class powertrain - by 2012. Unfortunately the new automated-manual transmissions with dual clutches won't be available until 2009, after the Journey starts up, and it'll go into minivans first or so we're told. Likewise the brand new, world class engines, the Phoenix engines, will start up around 2009. And then there are the reputed Chrysler diesels under way - you heard me! - but who knows when those will be made, if at all?

More 2009 Dodge Journey info and of course Espanol - el crossover Dodge Journey 2009.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    The interior doesn't look as spacious as my '05 Ford Freestyle, expecially in the 3rd and behind the 3rd cargo space, although I do like the innovations just as the flip seat storage area. The Journey also has the above dash storage area like my Freestyle.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    The Journey is now on the Dodge website, although not too much real detail like pricing or MPG ratings, etc. And no conversation here since October?

Journey's features seem to be pretty good; optional 7 seats, optional rear view camera, three engine choices, standard ESP, etc.. Any idea when it will hit the showrooms?

:D
    The Journey is now on the Dodge website, although not too much real detail like pricing or MPG ratings, etc. And no conversation here since October?

I'll tell you what happened. I guess interest levels are low. 16 messages? This forum's been up since I think January of last year. Maybe December '06!

I think people are turned off that it seems a bit too samll to compete with the likes of Highlander and Pilot.
    i see another failure here. Underpowered and underefficient. I mean, how is it they have cut 15 hp from the Pacifica and get the same mileage? What could possibly be the appeal here that was not present in the Pacifica?

This may lose hp, but no doubt it's quicker han the Pacific- which has wieght issues. Probably the same size inside- despite being a foot shorter (I'm guestimating).
    The interior doesn't look as spacious as my '05 Ford Freestyle, expecially in the 3rd and behind the 3rd cargo space, although I do like the innovations just as the flip seat storage area. The Journey also has the above dash storage area like my Freestyle.

Of course not. If the roomers are true, this will probably be a foot shorter- so yes, the interior is smaller.
    I doubt it will cut much weight from the Pacifica. As a matter of fact, given the mileage, I wouldn't be surprised if its heavier than the Pac. We'll see, but I'm not holding my breath, that's for sure.

I doubt it will cut much weight from the Pacifica. As a matter of fact, given the mileage, I wouldn't be surprised if its heavier than the Pac. We'll see, but I'm not holding my breath, that's for sure.

No way! I'm no LLC exec, but I know from Magazines and the internet and autoshows that's it's smaller than the Pac. And how do we know about mileage already?
    Chrysler gave their estimates. Its been posted here and discussed.

And I'm sure you know smaller doesn't mean squat. A 3-series is smaller than my Accord, yet weighs hundreds of pounds more.

I still refue to believe the Journey isheavier than the Pacifica- which at something like 4600-4800 lbs is one of the heaviest CUVs!

So from what I've heard the Chrysler version of Journey is cancelled.
    Doge Journey = only 3800-4000lbs. But mileage is prettybad for a vehicle of that size.
    maybe they'll revise their mileage estimates? Maybe the EPA will find differently when they test it? I dunno. If it really gets the initially projected mileage and it weighs under 2 tons, they've done something horribly wrong in development. Ugh!

maybe they'll revise their mileage estimates? Maybe the EPA will find differently when they test it? I dunno. If it really gets the initially projected mileage and it weighs under 2 tons, they've done something horribly wrong in development. Ugh!

The Honda Pilto is about the smae size and gets about that mileage.
    I did finally sit in the Journey at the autoshow, and while this is the vehicle chrysler needs right now, My problem is that it doesn't seem to stack up well against others. If I had a choice between this and the Hyundai Veracruz, I'd take the Hyundai in a second. I even think the Highlander is nicer (and I strongly dislike the Highlander). The only reason I wouldn't buy the Highlander over this is that the Highlander doesn't offer a split third row seat.

The Journey did have some nice storage features, like the in floor and passenger seat storage.
    The Honda Pilto is about the smae size and gets about that mileage.

Weight is the problem, not size (necessarily). If the Journey indeed comes in under 2 tons, that would be more than 500 lbs lighter than the Pilot. The Pilot also has 10 more horses. So, lighter and less power compared to the Pilot while achieving similar mileage would not be very competitive, IMHO. Hopefully it will trump it on mileage. We'll see.

Really, gas mileage isn't the issue (and actually, the Journey is longer than the Pilot, but that's beside the point). The real issue is that I don't think the Journey can stay competitive enough with other offerings from other brands. I'm not totally sure I'd call this a step up from the Pacifica.
    which matches my POV, too.
    our Pacifica has 7 months left in the lease. I'm 99.9% sure the Journey will not be replacing it in our driveway.

which matches my POV, too.
    our Pacifica has 7 months left in the lease. I'm 99.9% sure the Journey will not be replacing it in our driveway.

If the interior was nicer, I think that 99.9 would drop quick. What are you considering now?