Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Journey Crossover

Comments

• rilerriler Posts: 1
    WE HAVE A 2006 PACIFICA. WE TEST DROVE THE JOURNEY AND AS U STATE THIS NOT GREAT GAS MILAGE FOR THE SIZE BUT BELIEVE ME THE SIX IS NOT UNDER POWERED IT WOULD EASILY LEAVE OUR PACIFICA IN THE DUST
  • albookalbook Posts: 1,282
    AND AS U STATE THIS NOT GREAT GAS MILAGE FOR THE SIZE BUT BELIEVE ME THE SIX IS NOT UNDER POWERED IT WOULD EASILY LEAVE OUR PACIFICA IN THE DUST

Okay- we get the message. I would have guessed so, as the Journey is smaller and much lighter, and the Pacifica, though it has a larger engine is much heavier.

So Power shouldn't be the factor turning any Pacifica owners away from Dodge dealerships.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,285
    riler - That's good. But lack of power has never been much of a complaint for us concerning our Pac. I actually find it quite peppy off the line (which wasn't the case when it was new, but it has broken in quite nicely). It does lack a bit of highway passing power, but I partly blame the 4-spd tranny for that. Are you considering a Journey based on your test drive?

allbook - i believe the frontrunner right now to replace the Pac is a volvo V70. Although its likely we'll go used. We also like the FX35, but my wife is a bit concerned about the lack of cargo space.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

allbook - i believe the frontrunner right now to replace the Pac is a volvo V70. Although its likely we'll go used. We also like the FX35, but my wife is a bit concerned about the lack of cargo space.

So I see you like the wagon esq. of the Pac (considering you want to replace it with a wagon). I love the FX- it looks great but it does have small cargo numbers.
    I thing it's sad that Chrysler couldn't take the time to properly remodel this vehicle. It had slow sales so they just chopped it. It had so much potential.
    Interesting you should mention that because I was thinking about it the other day. Does anyone happen to have a link to the Pac's sales numbers these past few years?

I just see SO MANY on the road, it makes me wonder.

I just see SO MANY on the road, it makes me wonder.

With so many incentives, they must have been nailed to the show floor!
    or severely overproduced, which has historically been a common habit of 'mericun manufacturers.

• WE HAVE A 2006 PACIFICA. WE TEST DROVE THE JOURNEY AND AS U STATE THIS NOT GREAT GAS MILAGE FOR THE SIZE BUT BELIEVE ME THE SIX IS NOT UNDER POWERED IT WOULD EASILY LEAVE OUR PACIFICA IN THE DUST

Riler - How was the journey test drive? I like the looks of the Journey and the interior features look amazing - how was everything in person? It gets 19 mpg city and 25 mpg highway which is pretty good for a crossover with third row seating! I'm impressed with it.
    It gets 19 mpg city and 25 mpg highway which is pretty good for a crossover with third row seating!

But that's with the 173hp 4-cyl.
    Not an engine I would personally want in a 3-row 2-ton vehicle. But to each his/her own.

But that's with the 173hp 4-cyl.
    Not an engine I would personally want in a 3-row 2-ton vehicle. But to each his/her own.

They say the 3.5 V6 has plenty of power, but the numbers aren't impressive. I bet that might turn some off.
    So i just read a 1.5 page writeup in Automobile. I have to say, their comments make me think I should go check one out. While they are disappointed in the interior space (2nd row too tight and 3rd row completely useless), they do say it is the quietest sub-$30k car they have every driven and has fit and finish that surpasses any other Chrysler built. Seems like pretty decent praise.

one thing i did note is that they said the 3rd row is optional. This is something I was wondering when 1 poster commented on a 3 row SUV with a 4-cyl. I was curious if the 3rd row could even be had with the 4-cyl, but I could not find the answer on Dodge's website.

I'll say it's a decent offereing. It' s what Chrysler needs right not. And the third row, from my experience at the Chicago auto show is just as comfortable as a Pacifica's. You're right about the second row, though. Actually, it's like they took the outside of the PAC and shrunk it lot, but no the inside that much. It's worth checking out.
    I'll have to see if they are exaggerating about that 3rd row, then. Cause if you say it is the same as the Pac, we find it very useful. My wife sits back there comfortably. I certainly wouldn't say, as they did in their writeup of the Journey, "it is only inhabitable if you are a quadruple amputee." (i may be botching that slightly, but that was pretty much the jist)

I'll have to see if they are exaggerating about that 3rd row, then. Cause if you say it is the same as the Pac, we find it very useful. My wife sits back there comfortably. I certainly wouldn't say, as they did in their writeup of the Journey, "it is only inhabitable if you are a quadruple amputee." (i may be botching that slightly, but that was pretty much the jist)

I'll admit, the Pacifica definitely had a more airy feel, but when the Pacifica 1st debuted in 2003, I testdrove one with the fam, and though the kids were smaller, it was still a tight fit in the third row. Compared to the competition, and accounting for the size, I would definitely say that the PAC's third row should be more comfortable. When you're 6+ ft tall, you probably get to say this a lot, but I wouldn't sit back there more than 5-10 minutes. Yet if I had a choice from the two, I'd choose the PAC. I wouldn't say in a heartbeat, but pretty close.
    Well, I see Chrysler is off to a great start in advertising the Journey.

We just got a packet yesterday from corporate. The letter states something like "we know you have a bit of time left before the lease is up on your Pacifica, but we thought you'd like to see our lineup for consideration as a replacement vehicle." Well, the book is missing the Journey and still contains the Pacifica. Nice one, Chrysler!

• mattandimattandi Posts: 588
    They haven't done much better with product training either. I stopped by a lot yesterday to get a closer look at the Journey and both the sales person and the sales manager I spoke with knew very little about these. The brochure I was given was not much more helpful. Seems a terminal case of "Let's put these out there and hope they sell."

Initial impression. Nice looking, fairly comfortable, quite practical, and price very competitive for the segment. Everything indicates to me that it should sell well, but Chrysler is going to have to do more to build awareness of this buggy. Segment is just too competitive to sit back.
  • rodutrodut Posts: 343
    Journey to replace the Pacifica ?!?! No way !

Journey is a extremely common vehicle. There are countless others out there, all of them with a better reliability brand reputation ! I can't see any reason to buy it.

Imagine you buy it, and then you meet some friends, colleagues, neighbors etc. They ask you why did you buy it. What do you answer ? Is it distinctive ? Is it reliable ? Is it ground level cheap ? Like the $2,500 Tata Nano ??? For fuel economy ? Chryslers are notorious for burning more gas than advertised. For AWD ? To burn more gas, and have more axles / transmission parts to break, and let you with the car dead in the middle of the road, like it happened to my 30,000 miles Pacifica last week ??? Do you like something about the Journey, you can't find in another decent reliability vehicle (among the other 10 or so, already on the market) ???

At least Pacifica was a distinctive vehicle. You would immediately spot it in a crowd. Low center of gravity, luxurious, a dream car. Only finance people (we know how smart they are, right ?) would take such an idiotic decision, to shut down the Pacifica and build this ... I don't even know how to call it, because really it's so tasteless that it's even difficult to criticize it. How can you criticize the wastebasket ??? You don't even bother doing it ...
    The Journey is a good move for Chrysler. It is one of the cheapest on the market, and I'dprobably buy one before I get a Highlander (Toyta was sleep during this redesign). Chryslers are notorious for buring more gas than advertised? So are Fords and Toyotas, and- pretty much everyone else.

The Pacifica had some shortcomings of its own, too. For such a large vehicle, the third row is a total disapointment. The Taurus X and GMC Acadia are slightly longer and have third row seats almost as good as minivans. Luxury? True, the PAC and Journey are like night and day there. But the one thing that killed the PAC was the ridiculous entry price.

I'd say if Chrysler would have introduced this instead of the Pacifica, it would have sold like hotcakes. And Chrysler wouldn't be in trouble right now.
  • rodutrodut Posts: 343
    Ohhh ... the Pacifica has way more shortcomings than the ones you mention. But cosmetic things don't really matter. Shorter or longer seats, more or less options, etc etc etc ... who cares ?!? People will care a lot more about a clunking front suspension no dealer can fix, transmission axles who break and let the car unable to move (in the freezing Canadian climate !!!), squeaking steering, etc ... why you don't read the Pacifica Repair and Maintenance posts ?

Chrysler is in trouble because they manufacture unreliable cars, end of the story.

My advice: jump directly to the Toyota, AT ANY PRICE, because the most valuable asset you own is your health. Not your money. You can always work and make money. But the health you damage when wasting your time in dealerships, or when looking at your beautiful car dead in the middle of the street ... well you can't fix back your damaged health you know ...
  • I have been looking at the Journey as my next car. I will be coming from my beloved 10 year old Avenger ES which is near the end of its life. The Avenger has served me very well but now my life demands a bigger car. I detest SUV's but now with a family and a fix er up house i need the room. I have looked at the Caliber in the past but it was a little on the small side and the exterior look is kinda weird. I have been anticipating the Journey's arrival (being built on the new avenger frame adds a kindred spirit as well) ...so when they arrived at the local dealership I checked one out. As said above, the salesman was ignorant of the Journey's fine points. The exterior finish is very nice and not awkward like the caliber, I love the lay flat seating, i think it can fit a sheet of plywood without problems. The seats are a little thin but surprisingly comfortable, The SX has very nice base options as well. Overall, its a great buy and a front runner as my next vehicle. Weird thing...if you use dodge's bnuild your own the price on a SX with 3rd row seat and 3-zone A/C is only a hundred or so more than the standard 2 row with dual zone A/C. The only question remaining is how well (and long) this CUV works as designed under the new owners at Dodge.
    "My advice: jump directly to Toyota... Chrysler is in trouble becasue they manufacture unrealiable cars".

Sounds like someone's a little biased.Though I'll agree most Toytas are nicer than most Chrylers, the Pacifica is SO MUCH nicer than the Highlander. The Caravan and Town and Country are nicer than the Sienna, with more innovative features, like stow and go.

the Highlander is a sorry competitor for this market, as it lacks so many of the featrues of its competitors. automag editors regularly score rank the Chevy Malibu above the Camry in comparison tests. I strongly doubt the Tundra will ever outsell the Ram or Silerado or F-150, same with the Grand Caravan vs the Sienna. WAKE UP! Toyota isn't as high and mighty any more.
    This is what seems to be the overall thoughts of the Journey:

Styling: it's bland. Not ugly, not any more than okay looking.
    Space: interior is a little tight. Third row is small for the long length.
    Interior: improvement for Chrysler, good ergonomics, but still bland.
    Performance: performs pretty nicely, plenty of power and pick up.
    Competition: Unless you are getting a great deal, there's better out there for the money. Go for the Pilot or Veracruz. Or if you want a real third row, get a GMC Acadia.
  • I like both the exterior and interior styling on the Journey. The exterior is contemporary and sporty - I like the crosshair grill. And the interior has a lot of cool features with a ton of storage space which I feel is very important - I really like the looks of it.
    Sure the journey looks okay on the outside, but nothing great. And the interior isn't up to the standards of some of today's more popular CUV choices (Murano, Edge, Highlander).
  • The Journey has a youthful feel to it that I like. It is stylish with useful features and is spacious. Plus, it is less expensive with a better value IMO.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Posts: 182
    Did you refer to the base SE version, with 4 cylinder powerplant?

I'm curious.

I dig the Journey too in some ways, but I would go with the SE. I know the machine is a heavyweight, and the 4 cylinder may be overtaxed, but I still prefer the simplicity of the base SE (speaking for myself).

It's a pity Chrysler did NOT furnish the six cylinder SXT with a Hybrid system. Perhaps in future, hopefully.

I also wish the SE came with a sunroof option too.

Oh well...

Peace!<-AladdinSane-<- :shades: --
  • crh47crh47 Posts: 20
    My wife, 25 year old, says that a Pacifica looks worse than a minivan. She wouldn't even look at one. We went test driving the other day, drove the following
    GMC Acadia
    Honda Pilot
    Mazda CX-9
    Toyota Highlander (Sport and stupid expensive Hybrid)
    Dodge Journey
    We ordered a Journey. Why? 5-10 thousand less than any of the other above with may more features. We love the storage bins and integrated booster seats (We have 2 toddlers). I got the 19" wheels, My Gig Entertainment, roof rack, and much more for $23,000. Also, I'm 5'7" and I could fit in the third row easily... know my girls will be able to fit in them for years. The wife thought the Highlander,CX-9, and Pilot were ugly. The Acadia, she loved the looks, but it felt too big and the tranny kept searching for a gear unsuccessfull...very annoying. The Journey was perfect!!
    With the options and price, am I correct in assuming this was a FWD 4-cyl? Did you find the 4-cyl powerful enough for the vehicle?

• Think maybe I'll wait untill the 2010s come out and see if I might be able to get one with one of the new little Cummins diesels. ;)
    Glad you are happy with your purchase, but for me to get a Journey Chrysler would have to throw some ridiculuos discounts on the tag. Actually, they probably will. But if I had a choice between this and the Highlander, I'd take the Highlander in a heartbeat (and I'm nowhere near a Toyota fan!). The Acadia in half a heartbeat. I can understand the big aspect, but I still say the Acadia is a much nicer vehicle. If price was a limiter, why didn't you look at the Acadia's cousin, the Outlook. It starts a little cheaper and since it's not selling quite as well as it's two upscale siblings, there are some attractive deals on it now.