Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Caravan/Voyager Serpentine Belt

Comments

• shipo, that is so cool. Thanks very much. The selection chart for the device is a graph of horsepower vs shaft speed. I will try to convince the repair shop to interpret it for me. I think I can install it once I get the correct unit.

Thanks!
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Glad I could help out. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I don't think that there is anything to interpret. I went to the NAPA-Online web site and they only list one Gates conversion kit for the 1997 3.0 liter vans, it' $174.00. FWIW, I'm pretty sure that I've seen them for ~$150, I just don't remember where.

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=NBH&Par- tNumber=38342K&Description=Belt+Conversion+Kit+-+V-Ribbed+Belt+to+Dual+Sided+V-R- ibbed+Belt

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • I have a '99 Grand caravan and was able to find a mechanic who solved this problem. First, Make sure that the molding beneath the windshield is secure and not dumping rainwater onto the serpentine belt. Second, Carquest makes a kit that modifies the Chrysler design. I had it installed and it solved the problem.
  • I have a '99 Grand that had the infamous flying serpentine belt. Had the CarQuest modification kit (which I believe is the same as the Gates solution mentioned above) installed and also sealed the base of the windshield where water was dumping onto the belt and tensioner. Have not had the serpentine or tensioner problem since.
  • The Goodyear fix I had installed last March is still working well.
  • Any suggestions for a '94 3.3L? We've had ours for 2-3 years now and twice (thanks to the remains of Hurricane Gustav) in the last 8 months we've had this problem. $150 (not to mention the time out of a work day) to drive in the rain seems a little steep - and according to my guys, they know this is a problem, but no kit exists? Does anyone have any suggestions? The seemingly simple solution of a guard on the tensioner pulley seems creative and effective enough...
    You're responding to a post that has the ultimate suggestion. By all accounts, every van that has had the Gates kit installed has seen the problem completly solved.
  • There is a fix. Chrysler has a bulletin they don't tell you about. It's a large washer that is connected to the idle pulley. Cost is around $15.00 . They never told me about it until I did some research.

There is also an aftermarket pulley system that has tracks on both sides of the idle pulley and it solved my problem more than 18 months ago. It's a Goodyear serpentine pulley kit for about $235.00. I would go to Chrysler first since it's cheaper.

I would not rely altogether on the rain water or puddle excuse.
  • Why is it after replacing a new belt and new tensioner, the belt comes off in the rain, snow and going through puddles? I wasted money on these and they are less than a year old and I have to replace them with a kit containing the same thing except they are grooved?
    It came off on my wife over a dozen times. No power steering (no control), no water pump (engine overheats causing dangerous to aluminum heads), no alternator (no battery charging), no AC. All powered by ONE belt. $40 a pop to put the belt back on. An independent recommended a kit, parts and labor, over $300. We then found a radiator leak, thinking the slick antifreeze was causing the belt to come off, so I spent the $300 replacing a new radiator. Still the belt came off.
    I have looked over numerous forums on the web and with all the problems with Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler vans, why do we have to pay to get it fixed?
    I thought I'd be smart and start out with some "cheaper fixes". One guy was selling disks to put over the tensioner and idle pulley for $30. I found the disk covers from Advance for $8 apiece and installed them on both idle and tension pulleys and thought how smart I was until I went through a puddle...twice and both times it came off. I started looking at the Dayco 89251 from Advance, but it is a smooth tension pulley. My wife called me today and guess what...she went through a puddle. So..here I am ordering a Gates 38379K kit from Amazon $111.63 incl. S & H. Advance has Goodyear kit 49215K for $124.99 plus tax, but it had to be ordered. You can also order separate double sided belt, grooved idle and tension pulleys, but they total more than $111. The double sided belt is over $65.
    CONTACT THE NHTSA on their web site or call them at 888-327-4236. I am surprized if someone hasn't gotten KILLED yet!!!
  • The Gates or Goodyear kit should do it. It's been least 3 years since I installed it and haven't had any problems. I don't know if replacement belts are readily available but and may be a good idea to have one handy, I feel fairly secure now and have taken several of town trips without any problems, rain or shine.
    Quite difference from several years ago when I was replacing them every few months.
  • Amen to that. We had our 1999 Voyager for about 3 years when it first started losing belts and it wasn't until I threatened to call the local TV station did the dealer offer to put the large washer (??) on the tensioner pulley which did the trick for me for quite a while. But then we had a problem with the belt squealling like crazy any time there was even a hint of moisture out. To resolve this we added the Goodyear Gatorbelt and it took care of the squeaks for a long time and and it also held it in place well. We ran into it the squeaking again and I bought a new belt, this time it was the same style but a brand from NAPA. That did the trick until we broke 3 damper pulleys - probably from all of the torque holding the belt in alignment. Honestly I think something wears along the system where the belt rides and it is out of alignment just enough to screw things up, but not enough to be visible to the naked eye. (I read somewhere that a cracked motor mount was common in these to cause this issue, but I can't confirm that one as they never found that problem with mine.) That's why it only pops off after it's aged a while and when it gets moisture on the pulleys. It clearly should have been recalled but the losers in Detroit decided they would rather risk our lives and save a buck vs. doing the right thing. Otherwise, great van - had it 10 years and we finally gave up when it began to throw damper pulleys. Good luck and be safe.
  • Hi, I stumbled on this thread while doing research on my own van problems... Like everyone else, my serpentine belt has been slipping off. The first time was a few years ago - it managed to stay on for over 2 years in rainy Vancouver BC. However, it fell off again a month ago... then a few weeks ago... then again on New Years Eve. In the past, I replaced the tensioner and belt to no avail. After finding this thread, I was able to source the Gates conversion kit for 3.3 and 3.8 Litre engines locally (LORDCO - cost $200 - ask for a discount because it's listed at $299.00 in their computer, they were great about it) as mine is a Caravan SE 3.3L. I had it installed today at Midas - took 1 hour ($90) - they had to cut-down a bolt in the kit that was too long but that's the only mod they had to do. Now I have peace of mind while driving in the rain.. which is almost every day in the winter! So, for those Canadians out there, it's a quick and easy fix which will cost between $300-$350 depending on your mechanic and how much you pay for the kit. Well worth it if you plan on keeping your van and driving it in the rain!! I feel like suing Dodge for my money back - dammit, I should! If my belt should fall off again, I will DEFINITELY post here, but I have confidence that the problem is fixed. CHEERS!
  • Hi please keep my up to date. I just spent 65.00 on the road to get this fixed for the 3rd time. I will call goodyear and check up on it. I have a 3.0 do they have a fix for mine?
    Thanks Martin
  • Use the Goodyear kit for serpentine belt. I have had mine for 3 years and problems since. I used to drop belts about every year for 5 years. It will work and cost about $220 installed. New pulleys and belt. It will work on the 3.0 Liter. I have the same.
  • Where did you get the good year kit at? And who did the work Goodyear? Let me know Thanks. My belt comes off when ever it rains and about every 30 days.
    Thanks martin
  • Go to Goodyear Service Center and they will install one for about $230. They did it to my Dodge 3.0 Caravan and had no problems since it was installed 3 years ago.
    Otherwise, Dodge will fix it by putting a special washer, about $20, in the pulley/idler to prevent the serpentine belt from jumping off.
    Funny, Dodge had this in their service bulletins years ago and but dot bother to tell you about it. You find out through the Internet, unless you go to an honest dealer service department that will search it out. I don't know how well the Dodge washer works out, but I'm sure they're going to charge you for labor as well.

Goodyear did the trick for me.
  • Go to Goodyear Service Center and they will install one for about $230. They did it to my Dodge 3.0 Caravan and had no problems since it was installed 3 years ago.
    Otherwise, Dodge will fix it by putting a special washer, about $20, in the pulley/idler to prevent the serpentine belt from jumping off.
    Funny, Dodge had this in their service bulletins years ago and but dot bother to tell you about it. You find out through the Internet, unless you go to an honest dealer service department that will search it out. I don't know how well the Dodge washer works out, but I'm sure they're going to charge you for labor as well.

Goodyear did the trick for me.
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    Does this belt problem only affect the 3.3 and 3.8 liter engines? I have a 2006 Caravan with the 4 cylinder engine (2.4 liters). I have replaced the belt because of it squeaking but it hasn't fallen off in 47k miles.