Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy HHR Brake Problems

Comments

• barbannabarbanna Posts: 6
    Hi,

SAME THING! I bought a new '07 HHR-LT in early May. The VERY NEXT DAY the steering wheel began shaking violently whenever I braked from any speed higher than 40 MPH. Brought it back to the dealer and they said the rotors were "out of round" - this is a NEW car! Six weeks and 2,400 miles later the shaking returned whether I was braking or not. It was like the front wheels were not balanced. The same service mgr. apologized for the recurrence, stating that the original repair person was not terribly experienced (wow, what a confidence builder for me to trust THAT dealership!) He said they turned the rotors again and the problem was fixed. The car drove fine for about 24 hours, then it developed a distinct clicking sound whenever I applied the brakes at any speed. I'm fed up. I'm getting rid of it!
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    much of the wraping problem has been linked to over torgueing the wheels.....dont know what its a problem..but had the same issue with my 04 malibu and 03 sorento.....once the rims where hand torqued on...after they were removed...I have experienced the problem....again rotors turned and the wheels hand torqued back on....over 50K on both cars since it happened....
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    It's unfortunate that it appears that they aren't following proper procedures. I know someone that had the same issues but even worse so after their Pathfinder was returned after having new tires put on and it wouldn't drive straight. Turns out the wheels were over-tightened with the air wrench and the rotars were indeed warped/bent.
  • pennyopennyo Posts: 1
    I have Had my HHR in the shop multiple time with the same problem, I was told by the dealership that on the third shop visit that they changed my rotors. Few months past and shaking again. I am at 39,000 miles now and they called to tell me the car needed new rotors. Found out they didn't replace them after all just resurface them. The car has been shaking since it was 2 wks old. They say I must pay for them since car not under warranty! My car shift system also went out at 6mo old. I need help with GM! :lemon:
    Unfortunately it is common for OEM brakes to wear out faster then aftermarket brake pads. Quite a few auto manufactures buy from the same company supplier at a cheap price. Manufacture warrantees do not cover brake wear because it is considered normal wear and tear, and who knows who drove the car and how it was treated. If your problems as you say are shaking or vibration that started during the warranty period then this should likely be covered or a reasonable explanation in what is wrong should be given. If this problem started after a tire rotation or some other service that required the wheels/tires to be removed, they are at fault.
  • hhrprobshhrprobs Posts: 13
    yes im in .I think chevy should take the hhr's bk and start a new line because mines been nothing but trouble ever since i got it.I got mine in june of 2006,and it has 11000 on it. :lemon:
  • MY 2006 HHR WAS IN THE SHOP 6 MONTHS AGO WITH BAD ROTORS AND WAS FIXED BY THE DEALERSHIP AND NOW THEY ARE WORSE THAN THEY WERE 6 MONTHS LATER. THEY ARE SAYING DEFECTIVE PARTS. THE CAR IS NOW OUT OF WARRANTY WITH 20,000 MILES ON IT. THE STEERING WHEELS SHAKES EVERYTIME I BRAKE AND WHEN APPLIED THE BRAKES MAKE A TERRIBLE NOISE. THEY NEED TO RECALL ALL THESE CARS. WE LOVE THE CAR BUT I WORRY ABOUT THE SAFETY OF IT.
  • I agree the car looks good.but i dont even want the car anymore.Mines 2006 hhr and i have had your problems and more.I've had it in the shop for roters,witch they turned.In witch its done it again since then.and get now its got this thing when you crank it makes a crazy sound.I've had to call the rd side service 10 times,Because the car wouldnt crank.Took it in and they said it was the swith,and ordered one.the car is a lemon anf i think they should take them all back.and start over.The cars are suppose to be american but there built in mexico.My car has 13000 on it.i cant listen to the radio with out it cuting off in less than 5 mins.Im argry and i wish i had never bought the car.i could go on and on but i will stop.Sounds like we all got ourselfs a :lemon:
    Some PT Cruisers come from Mexico as well. Many cars do nowadays because of economics.
    Ok, I never realized that. Thank you for setting me strait. I will see you back on the Toyota forum.
  • dyoungmdyoungm Posts: 2
    We have a 2006 we love with 30K miles and the rotors were turned last fall. Last week the shudder of the braking started again and the rotors were turned again. Now there is a audible roar when braking even gently at anything over 30MPH. We did not do hard braking or mountainous driving before either event. The dealer tried to get me to pay for the second turning but I argued that my son in law is a GM dependant and has had 6 Chevys in the last 10 years and never once had to have his rotor turned or had the shudder when braking. Why should this car be any cheaper built than the Tracker he once owned? They thought it over about 3 minutes and agreed to shove it under warranty. Tomorrow I take it for the roar.

So far the only complaint other than brakes was that the fools at GM tried to sell me a roof rack without cross bars. When we got the car home we looked for the cross bars all under the seats and in the boot. The dealer said they were extra. I asked for the section of the user manual that explains how to use it without them and they could not tell me how to put a small boat up there or anything else. I told them I was bringing the car back as defective and they gave me the cross bars. ;)
  • have a issue with my hhr
    is the brakes.. made very funny sound grind then klunk... after making way home slowly... taking the front wheels off .. discover that the inside pads of front rotors are gone on the passenger side.. and on drivers side are 1/2 the thickness of the outside pads... it appears that the calipers are not engaging properly...
    any one know of this
    Haven't heard of that issue being common. I am assuming yours is still under warranty and this doesn't sound like a normal wear and tear issue.
  • acmechacmech Posts: 2
    I purchased my HHR in Feb 2006. 1 week later I had it in the shop for surging when braking. They ground the brakes and all was well for a month.
    When it started again I was resigned to the belief that they (the brakes) were just to light for the vehicle. Mine is a LT2, so I have 17 in wheels. At about 26k my wife took it back and they ground them again and all was well again.
    It started to wander on the freeway around 32k so I went back again to have the alignment checked, and was told that the tires were half worn and that was the problem. I was born at night.... you know how that goes.
    I wanted new tires anyway so off to Sears for Goodyear Assurance treads. Great tires by the way.
    At 41k they started to surge again and finally exiting the highway I experienced a violent shaking. Back to the dealership to be told that the wheels were over torqued by Sears. Now I'm an aircraft mechanic and I kind of know maintenance and I know a line of crap when I hear it. The only problem is I’m out of warranty at this point, and they want $500 to correct the problem.
    I believe the problem is caused by over generation of heat from larger wheels and the inability to cool due to the design of the rotors.
    Other than the brakes I love the car, so I'm going to invest in cross drilled and slotted rotors that are treated with corrosion inhibitors and ceramic brake pads, and I believe this will cure the problem. I'll get back to ya!
  • tim08hhr1tim08hhr1 Posts: 7
    There is a TSB for that problem. The number is #08-05-23-003. That will take care of your brake problem.

FYI also the is a TSB for the Front of the vehicle to protect the radiator. You need this done ASAP because you could get a rock that will damage the radiator.

RECALL on the headliner for each side of car.

Check this out.....

Hopefully this will help you

Because you have had this problem several times in the past........ the dealership should take care of this. If they do not.... and you have records in the past that this has been done with the brakes. CALL GM. They know this is a problem
    There is a TSB for that problem. #08-05-23-003

Also have them check for the Radiator guard. If you do not have one... YOU NEED IT. A stone will come in below bumper & damage your Radiator.

Also have them check for the RECALL in headliner.
    There is a TSB out for this. #08-05-23-003 Take your HHR back to the dealership & have them run that number & do the work

Also there is another one out there for the Front of the Radiator. It is a Stone Gaurd to protect the radiator. You have a 07 & it does not have it.

Have them check the RECALL out as well. Headliner for non-airbags
    There is a TSB out for this #08-05-23-003 This should fix your problem.

There is also one for your from radiator. It is a Radiator guard to protect it from stones.

If you do not have side airbags there should be a RECALL on your vehicle as well.
  • hheroldhherold Posts: 2
    AFTER TURNING MY ROTORS AND REPLACEING THE BRAKE SHOES IT SEEMS LIKE IT HAS STOPPED THE SHAKEING IN MY FRONT END. ONE THING I DONT UNDERSTAND IS WHAT WAS REPLACED ON THE COLUMNS ON THE SIDES OF THE CAR, WHAT IS THAT ALL ABOUT?? ANY HELP??

THANKS
    HHHAZZY@COMCAST.NET
  • barbannabarbanna Posts: 6
    I traded in a two-year old 05 PT Cruiser for a new 07 HHR in May of last year. Shortly thereafter (the next DAY) my new HHR developed the troublesome front-end brake vibrations like those described by several others in this forum. Over the next two months I brought the HHR in THREE times to have the brake rotors repaired under the warranty.

The dealer here in CT said the problem was warped rotors but had no clue as to why the problem kept recurring. He said they had heard nothing from GM. (A customer of my small business is an out-of-state Chevy service manager. I trust him. He, too, had not heard anything from GM about this problem.

When, once again, the front end of my HHR started vibrating when braking for the FOURTH time, and after reading about the HHR owner who was told it would cost him $500 for another brake fix because his warranty was expired, I finally decided to get rid of my HHR.

I'm now back happily driving a new PT Cruiser again and I do not have to worry about if (when) my car's front end will start shaking violently. The irony for me is that the day GM issued their TSB regarding the warping rotors on HHRs (5-23-08) was the same day I traded in my HHR.