Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy HHR Brake Problems

Comments

• My 2007 HHR- auto has had 3 new sets of brake pads. rotors, the whole thing and it only has 50,000 miles on it. Our GM mechanic at our Chevy Dealer said that he works on several HHR's a WEEK and they are "known" to have brake problems. Love the car otherwise it's the best Chevrolet I have ever owned besides the brakes. Never had brake problems with the last five Chev.'s I've owned.
  • I think the problem is the supplier for brake pads, Chevy is not getting high quality parts. I bought high quality after market pads and rotors. I had to turn the new rotors, they were not true enough from the factory. I think this solves my problem. In addition we shift down to lower gear when decending long steep grades. We live in the mountians and have lots of hills.
    So far, so good. :)
  • I have the same on-going issues. It seems the car is too heavy for such cheap breaks.
    This is just one of many problems I've had, with this car. Sad too, I love the style of it. It makes me want to cry.
  • Buy your new rotors and pads from a quality auto parts store ie: NAPA. Get the best rotors and pads they have. Turn the rotors before they are installed and have a good mechanic 0r ( DIY ) install them.
    That is what I did and have had no more problems.
    Stay away from the dealer. :)
  • My fan speed resistor failed apparently. I checked the fuses and they are all good. I decided to register here and found that the resistor is the problem. I saw that somebody said it was easy to replace. How?

Thanks.
  • Do a Google search for hhr parts and order a resistor so you will know what your looking for under the dash. The part is located behind the glove box door which swings down. You will have to remove some trim on the right side in front of the passenger door. The resistor is rather large and has a tab that you pull it out with. I paid about $30 for the part. I would have to go back in my old files to find where I bought it from, but it wasn't hard to find.
  • I have read a lot of General Motors bulletins they know all of the problem with the brakes and rotors since 2006 the problem has been driving their mechanics crazy but because of money problems General Motors seems to like lying to the people buying their cars I have owned my HHR for a little over 11 months General Motors has changed the brakes and rotors three times my car has 37,000 miles on it it is not covered under warranty at this time I purchased the best rotors and breaks I could find staying away from porcelain break pads even General Motors does not recommend them and they come on their own vehicles they have to be preheated before they work properly replacing my rotors and brake pads to drilled rotors and the best brake pads I haven't had any problem with my vehicle and they were cheaper than having a the job done at my local dealer which I will never go back to after seeing the work they have done on my vehicle I cannot believe they get paid the money in hour they do for the type of work they let leave their gorge wake-up General Motors your vehicles already your problem you're mechanics and service managers are
  • balhhrbalhhr Posts: 1
    Brakes started squeaking at 12k. Took it to the dealer at 14k and replaced them no questions asked. Then, HHR started a grinding noise at 14k when we turned the car left. Dealer spent a day looking for the problem and pin pointed it to the rear suspension. GM shipped out a new part and dealer replaced at no cost. Other than these 2 problems, the car has been wonderful! Love it love it love it.
  • 88fan188fan1 Posts: 3
    I replaced my mastercylinder on my truck, bled the lines and it seemed to do fine. But yesterday my pedal went to the floor and my light came on. I pumped my brakes and everything was fine after that, but the pedal still feels soft. Any suggestions?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,063
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef062ac/1895#MSG1895

Click on the above link and it will take you to a topic that is specifically about brakes and problems. I'm sure there's someone there who will be able to address your pedal problem.

The topic you're in is primarily about HHRs and you're asking about a Chevy truck. You'll get better help there

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef062ac/1895#MSG1895
  • kymmbkymmb Posts: 8
    From what I'm seeing it sounds like I am going to be stuck with an embarrassing squeaky brake problem. Have an 08 HHR and really enjoy driving the car, but the brakes are wearing me down. This is the 3rd set of pads in about 4-5 month...started with semi-metallic and it squeaks, now have ceramics and they have started squeakking too. Rotars were turned...not sure where to to or what to do next.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,062
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me with more details of the brake issue? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    Hi! Back in Nov/Dec 09 I started to hear a squeal from my brakes, appeared to be the “wear indicator”. I friend of mine, Certified Mechanic, check the brakes indicated they needed to be replaced. I purchased replacement brake pads from a local Auto Zone. He replaced the pads and had the rotors turned. Within a week or so the brakes began squeaking all over again. We thought it was coming from the rear brakes this time, he checked the rear pads and we determined they would need to be replaced in the near future, however, not a major concern. Attention turned back to front brakes; he checked the pads, found they were metallic and not ceramic as requested. Another set of brake pads were purchase, ceramic this time and placed on the car. Within several weeks the brakes are squealing once again. If I am driving at a hire spread and get on them they stop the vehicle and do not squeal, however, slow speed driving 35-55 mph stops will cause the pads to squeal
    Hi! Back in Nov/Dec 09 I started to hear a squeal from my brakes, appeared to be the “wear indicator”. I friend of mine, Certified Mechanic, check the brakes indicated they needed to be replaced. I purchased replacement brake pads from a local Auto Zone. He replaced the pads and had the rotors turned. Within a week or so the brakes began squeaking all over again. We thought it was coming from the rear brakes this time, he checked the rear pads and we determined they would need to be replaced in the near future, however, not a major concern. Attention turned back to front brakes; he checked the pads, found they were metallic and not ceramic as requested. Another set of brake pads were purchase, ceramic this time and placed on the car. Within several weeks the brakes are squealing once again. If I am driving at a hire spread and get on them they stop the vehicle and do not squeal, however, slow speed driving 35-55 mph stops will cause the pads to squeal

I would change them out again except it is costing me money each time….so I guess I’m stuck with the brakes.

******************************************************************************

I would change them out again except it is costing me money each time….so I guess I’m stuck with the brakes.

Chevy HHR Brake Problems 4/15/10 112
    Message #112
    RE: Squeeky Brakes [kymmb]
    by gmcustsvc
    Apr 15, 2010 (12:35 pm)
    Hello, I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me with more details of the brake ...
    Hello,
    Thank you for getting back to me. Have you ever taken the vehicle to the dealership to have it diagnosed? Is the vehicle still under warranty? Thank you,
  • valeyrayvaleyray Posts: 1
    HAVE A CHEVY HHR 06 PURCHASED UESED WITH 38,000 SINCE PURCHASED I BEEN SO DISSAPOINTED WITH IT. LIKE TEH MODEL FEATURE BUT HAVE HAD IT FOR 8 MONTHS WHICH LAST 6 I HAVE HAD SO MANY PROBLEMS WITH IT. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE SOMEONE FROM GM CALLED ME AND OFFER ME TO BE ABLE TO CHANGE IT. NO WONDER WHY WHO HAD IT PREVIOUSLY SOLD IT. MY SUSPENSION WAS REPLACED COMPLETELY. STRUTS. SWAY BAR LINKS, STEERING COLUMN, BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS WITH TRACTION CONTROL AND NOT CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND NOW MY BREAKS DO LIKE A CLICK NOISE ON THE FRONT AND IS NOT ROTORS OR PAD THAT I AM SURE. I AM PAYING A MONTHLY PAYMENT FOR A CAR THAT IS NOT EVEN WORTH IT. MY 1ST CHEVY AND THE EXPERIENCE HAVE BEEN AWFUL. NOW I AM STOCK WITH A CAR DON'T BECAUSE PERFORMANCE AND PROBLEMS AND DOES NOT FEELS GOOD DRIVING IT. MY TRACTION COMES ON AND OFF EVERY DAY WITH NO LUCK TO CATCH WHAT IS WRONG AND NO ONE THAT I CAN TELL FROM GM. CAN YOU HELP. TRIED TO TRADE AND THERE IS A NEGATIVE VALUE ON THE CAR THAT NO ONE WANTS TO CARRY OVER. REALLY LIKE THE HHR SS I GUESS IS M0RE POWER AND LOOKS AWESOME AFRAID. WHAT CAN I DO WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST. MY EMAIL IS VALEYRAY@YAHOO.COM.
  • leah5leah5 Posts: 6
    my hhr is an "06" and i have had it since oct of "05".... here is just one of my issues with that car. about a year after i bought my car, everytime i put the brakes on the entire car would just shake. i take it into the dealership and they tell my that my rotors are wroped (sp?). so, they shave them and then i'm ok, for another few months. i have asked them what causes this and they tell me it;s cause i'm going threw to many water puddles.
    wth!
    Hello Leah,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Does the vehicle currently have the shaking issue, or has the vehicle been fixed? Thank you,
  • mine has been doing the shaking thing for a long time... my issue is the calipers on the front only the inside ones are engaging... hence the wear out of the brake pad on inside only... and warpage of rotor.... it was not covered under warranty cause it is a "wear issue" so had to pay to have it fixed.. but they did install a dust cover at no charge.. kept being told that they have no recorded issue with the hhr and brakes.. and then you go online and see many posts of people having trouble... i have now changed them three times and doing another set this weekend... i like the car... but will not buy again...
    edited April 2010
    If only the piston side (inside) of the caliper is wearing the pad, that means either the caliper unit is not sliding on the pins or the piston is not releasing properly. Riding with a foot on the brake pedal might cause the inner piston to drag and wear.

Dragging a brake, whatever the cause, heats the rotor and warps them. Then when you apply the brakes on a hot, warped rotor you feel the pulsating really strongly.

Another problem can be applying brakes hard for an emergency hard stop and then sitting with the foot on the brake. Ideally when the brake rotors and pads are really hot, letting the car creep to move the pads along the rotors while they cool helps prevent damage to the rotor.

Driving through water puddles when the rotors are hot after a strong stop also will warp rotors.

If you are replacing only the pads, you probably are making a mistake because you should be replacing the caliper with rebuilt calipers.

What kind of repair service has been doing the replacement work for you? My guess would be you need a repairman that knows the vehicles and knows what parts need to be replaced.
  • the gm dealership has been doing the work up until fall last year..

and since they wont listen... and i am a mechanic... i am doing the work... i have not replaced the calipers as they insist that they are not the problem...

the brakes are not rode... as it is mostly highway kilometers on this car..
    My mechanic looked at the brakes all around again yesterday and it appears the rotors are warped. They were turned when the brakes were replaced 4 mos. ago. To have the front ones replaced is going to cost me around $200.00. Not happy about this at all...GM there are enough complaints on here to tell you there is a problem that needs to be addressed.
    My mechanic looked at the brakes all around again yesterday and it appears the rotors are warped. They were turned when the brakes were replaced 4 mos. ago. To have the front ones replaced is going to cost me around $200.00. Not happy about this at all...GM there are enough complaints on here to tell you there is a problem that needs to be addressed. :(
    My mechanic looked at the brakes all around again yesterday and it appears the rotors are warped. They were turned when the brakes were replaced 4 mos. ago. To have the front ones replaced is going to cost me around $200.00. Not happy about this at all...GM there are enough complaints on here to tell you there is a problem that needs to be addressed. :(
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    don't have to studder we heard you the first 3 times.
    edited April 2010
    sorry...didn't mean to repeat 3x...computer didn't respond after sending.
    >New car pads should last at least 50,000 miles in my experience.

You haven't read posts about brake problems with Hondas wearing out rapidly and some of the toyotas?

>The real problem is that they did nothing before when I took the car in for service!

That's the real problem.

>they told me they would turn the rotor under warranty

It's my opinion turning the rotors won't last long. Thinner rotors redevelope problems quicker.
  • snowmomansnowmoman Posts: 20
    I worked for Mitsubishi Motors North America for almost 21 years retiring last year. Say what you will about Mits, but I have owned 4 of their cars, and never had brake problems like this. This is what got Detroit in trouble in the first place--quality. I have a Mits Montero Sport that had pads last almost 70,000 miles, and that's with AWD-4WD! It's disturbing to pay big money for a new car, only to have to pour money into it prematurely becasue of poor quality products. I gave Chevy a chance again and they failed the test. Looks like I may be going back to Mits products. I can't afford to buy GM.
    > Say what you will about Mits, but I have owned 4 of their cars, and never had brake problems like this.

Excuse me for helping.

Don't let the trunklid hit you on the way to the Mitsubishi dealer.
  • snowmomansnowmoman Posts: 20
    edited April 2010
    Who said I didn't want your help? That was merely a comment. Relax. Touchy aren't we?