Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac Escalade

microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
Not that I'm a GM or Caddy fan, but does anyone
have any information on the new Cadillac SUV that
is rumored to be coming out later this year?
Cadillac has done pretty well with the Seville so
maybe they can do something right with the SUV?

Comments

• Go out to your local GMC dealer and take a look at the new Denali (high line, luxury Yukon). Picture more wood, even nicer features inside, a color-coded, matching grill (like the new STS) with the Cadillac Crest embedded. Basically, there you go...
    If GM can earn some of the market share the extremely popular Navigator has earned, we'll be real happy. We're looking forward to having it in our showrooms late this fall/early winter.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    If that is the Cadillac game plan, they won't even get me into the showroom. I was hoping they would use stuff from the STS parts bin and come up with something competitive to the Mercedes ML320 or Lexus RX300. I have absolutely no interest in an oversized, overstuffed, over-leathered, overpriced Chevy or Ford wearing a Cadillac or Lincoln badge.
  • yamanyaman Posts: 113
    I agree with microrepair. Cadillac should be aiming at the ml320, lexus end of the market. An overpriced yukon won't sell.
  • pomposopomposo Posts: 1
    The overall design of the Yukon needs to be redesigned. What Lincoln did on the front and rear end of the Expedition to come up with the Navigator Cadillac has to do to the Yukon, even the Denali so as to give the buyer the sense of exclusivity. Why do you think the Navigator is selling so well?
    I'm glad to see at least a couple of other people out there agree that there is too much "badge" upscaling going on. For all that extra money, gimme some extra value, not a fancier emblem on the hood.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,711
    As expected, the 1st reviews off the news wires today by auto journalists, indicate another rather average effort by Cadillac. Been there. Done that.

Will GM ever get it right and set the world on fire with an exceptional product, or will they just continue to set themselves on fire?

Bob
  • C'mon guys,
    Get real; grill, fenders, wood package, "badging" and "overstuffed leather" is what put Lincoln on the map... They were floundering to say the least.. Due to the Navigator's market share in luxury sport uts, Lincoln stands to outsell Cadillac for the 1st time in something like 50 years... All Cadillac is attempting to do (a little late) is react and respond with similar packaging... The Expedition was fine, but the Navigator was "better"... Yuppie Ford freaks will buy it = The Yukon is fine, but the Escalade will be "better"...and Yuppie GM freaks will buy it... Don't believe me? Walk in to a Cadillac dealership and ask/inquire about the Escalade - they've all got interested and excited people on a waiting list... In time, and who knows what wrinkles GM will add in to sweeten the pot, there's talk that the ever popular Northstar 32V V8 will enter in to the mix... People in droves have stepped up to the plate for the Navigator - they'll do the same for the Cadillac Escalade.. Preliminary pictures and info I've seen tell me it'll sell in its pier group...and in time, just like the all new 98 STS, impressive technology will find its way to the Escalade... As for the new Lexus & MB sport uts... the jury is still out... and as for side by side comparisons to the Escalade, they'll all have their pros and cons.
    CadillacMan

Sorry to disagree with you. Even though the Navigator may be a sales success, for being the "premier" SUV statement that Ford could come up with, it does absolutely nothing in terms of moving the engineering/technology benchmark forward. Intellectually (and from every other possible standpoint), it is nowheres near as intriguing as the new Mercedes ML-320/430.

The Escalade may (or may not) repeat the same sales success of the Lincoln. It certainly won't add to Cadillac's so-called image "the Standard of the World". It's just another badge-engineered model added to the already over-bloated GM model lineup.

Besides, what does this do to the GMC Denali's image as supposedly the "premier" SUV from the General. It's just the latest example that crisis-management is what controls GM.

Bob
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    Being that I work in a GMC dealership I know for a fact that the sales people are really pissed off at GM for this. The Denali was supposed to be THE SUV of GM. Why does GM screw themselves over like this, its AFU.
  • JTRICKELJTRICKEL Posts: 1
    THE REASON SO MANY MERCEDES SUV'S ARE BEING TRADED IN ON LINCOLN NAVIGATORS IS THAT IF YOU WANT TO RIDE IN A JEEP BUY MERCEDES. IF YOU WANT TO RIDE IN A REAL SUV BY NAVIGATOR. THE NAVIGATOR WAS PROJECTED TO SELL ABOUT 40,000 UNITS THIS FIRST YEAR AND YOU STILL HAVE LITTLE CHOICE AND FULL STICKER PRICE. DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A DOG???

MERCEDES WILL SELL ABOUT ONE-HALF THAT AMOUNT.
    I guess my values must be a little warped. For some reason, I don't think of "wood trim", "leather upholstery", "gold-plated badges", "memory seats with 6 settings", "headlight wipers", "automatic day/night rear view mirrors", and other baubles as meaningful or "better" when it comes to a motor vehicle. I tend to think more in terms of 1) relibility, 2)durability (longevity), 3)ergonomic comfort, 4)handling response, 5)roadholding, and value for the money as more important criteria to use when choosing a motor vehicle. Of course, everyone can make their own choices based upon their priorities. Personally I won't spend 30-38K for a vehicle that is basically the same as a lesser stablemate selling for 22-26K. If the new Cadillac SUV comes with a Northstar engine instead of a GM/generic Chevy/Olds/Pontiac, then it's a start. If they throw in a sophisticated AWD & ABS combo similar to the ML320, then they're getting close to maybe parting me and my wallet.
    For the record, I admire many things about the MB ML320 and the Lexus RX300. However, they are not perfect either and I'm not proposing that all SUV's emulate those two. But there have to be ways to make the top-of-the-line models truly better than their cheaper siblings and therefore earn the right to charge a lot more money for them. The Lincoln Navigator is NOT better than the Expedition, it is just more expensive. It will not last longer, it will not climb steeper hills, and it will not visit the repair garage an less often. To many people it looks better and feels better, therefore let them spend the extra 10K for it. I won't.
    DTRICKEL

The only reason Mercedes will sell less than the Navigator, is because of production limitations. The ML320 has had a 9-12 month waiting list ever since it was announced. Once the DaimlerChrysler deal is completed that will probably change for the better.

As for those trading in Mercedes ML's for something else - well, you can't please everybody.

By the way, what is your definition of a "real SUV"? Most people in the know would say that term (SUV) originated with the Jeep; a vehicle that you just put down.

Bob
    microrepair

Your values are just fine.

Bob
    The current edition of Automobile magazine has a picture of the new Caddy SUV (aka Truck deVille) next to a new GMC Denali. Aside from a different mesh in the grille and the logos, they're identical. The Truck deVille has a bit more wood inside, and the OnStar GPS is standard. I'm sure it won't be long before we start seeing versions with padded vinyl roofs, whitewalls, fender skirts, and fake wire-wheel hubcaps.

Bob
  • jstirpejstirpe Posts: 1
    Navigator or Escalade ??
    I am currently leasing a Ford Explorer, but when the Navigator came out, it was love at first site. However, out comes the Cadillac Escalade and now we have some competition. Any advise as to which luxury SUV is really worth the $40,000 plus price tag ??
  • glenn2glenn2 Posts: 39
    what a joke
  • meredithmeredith Posts: 578
    Edmunds review of the...

Cadillac Escalade and the Yukon Denali can be found at Luxury SUV Review.
  • there's an ugly 1 here

I'd expect greedy dogs like Datsun or Ford 2 dress up a regular SUV, slap another name on it, and jack up the price

But when the general goes there .....
    pulpfictionado

This is not the first time that the general has cannibalized other GM products ...and probably not the last time either.

Bob
  • azguyazguy Posts: 23
    GM makes very GOOD trucks!!!! I can't wait for the replacements of these vehicles but until they are out I am getting the Escalade. I think it is a kick to have the Caddy name on an SUV!!!! I am only leasing it for 2 years as I will be tired of it by then.and ready for a new designed Escalade. I am getting Silversand or white.
  • glenn2glenn2 Posts: 39
    It would be a kick alright azguy, to the face maybe. $48,000 for a Tahoe with a Caddy grill??what a waste money.
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Posts: 128
    Now that the stock market is beginning to tank, it will be interesting to see how many people piss their money away on what is basically a dolled up Chevy Tahoe which in turn is a Chevy 1/2 ton truck with a back seat and cap. It's amazing!

As for those that think the Navigator is it, you obviously love to spend money on fancy grills, chrome add-on's, etc. You have way too much cash so send me some.

This Excalade/Navigator trend reminds me of the 1970's. Remember Opera Lights, chrome, fake convertible tops, spare tire carriers hanging from the trunk? Who needs engineering, responsive engines, cars that handle? This was when American car companies were at their worst. The cars stunk, but what glitz!

I see the American manufacturers have not learned, but hey there are plenty of buyers waiting with deposit checks so who can blame them?

Never underestimate people's ability for bad taste!
  • Yes, it's criminal 2 call a Chevy a 'Lac
    and I am pissed about that
    however, Let's look at the
    Navigator/Expedition
    Qx4/Pathfinder
    Camry/300
    civic/integra
    maxima/I30

It's not just the General & Hank doing this

leighprice-how many 1971 Chevy Trucks have U seen on the road 2day? That's a rhetorical ?, but I no the answer is "several"

rsholland, my problem is not W/ the cannibalization.

Camaro/Firebird have always been the same car, but they've been about the same price

Now, W/ this Denali/Envoy/Escalade Crap, they're throwing on some useless fringe (It has nothing 2 do W/ the purpose of the truck [that's what an SUV is supposed 2 be ]) and jacking up the price.

They should just say "this is a CHEVY, damn it, and it's a truck. If U want a Vehicle that makes love to you, get a Jaguar. If U have work 2 do, whip out your *book."

4get the elitist dogs; every 1else knows who the king is
  • SWCSWC Posts: 10
    What a goofy looking truck! Kind of reminds me of the old VW Beetles with the Rolls Royce front ends! (anyone remember those?)
  • If you're trying 2 say the caddy is ugly, you'll never be that right again!
    ICK!
  • arh1956arh1956 Posts: 14
    As far as looks go I have always thought GM had it right with their Full-size SUV's "Yukons & Suburbans" , and think the Denali is without question the best looking SUV on the planet ! I also have no problem with using the standard GM engines & drivetrains , but I cannot bring myself to part with 40K+ for anything with drum brakes ! Would a rear disc upgrade to differentiate it from the standard Tahoe be too much to expect for the $10,000 premium ? Come on GM help us loyal upscale buyers out , I don't mind paying more , but I've got to get something besides the look !
  • if I had to part with anything close to 40k or more I never consider, american made..I would purchase true quality...LAND ROVER.

IS THERE ANY MORE TO BE SAID...
  • There is more to be said. Unless you are going to do serious off-roading, there is little reason to buy a Land Rover. Look at their forum. Lots of disappointed yuppies who bought one for image and can't stand the reliability problems. The people who swear by them do serious off roading. I assume you know that already.

I agree that if I were spending over $40k, I would have trouble buying an American SUV. Over $40k, my vote is on the Toyota Land Cruiser. You get Toyota reliability, excellent resale value, decent off road capacity, etc.

I recently rented a Chevy Blazer for a trip. What a piece of underengineered garbage. I'm sure the Tahoe is much better, but the Blazer does not make GM look like the engineering wonders of the world. No wonder you see low mileage 98's for $20k. No one wants them!

Sorry for getting off the subject, but has anyone actually bought an Escalade or Denali? This forum is awfully quiet.
    Anybody who buys a Tahoe with a "Cadillac" badge on the grille, and thinks they are getting superior product, is nuts.

I have yet to read a road test (not a press announcement) on the Escalade that has had much positive to say about it. I believe it was Automobile magazine that stated something to the effect that: "Only in a SUV-hungry market, could a vehicle strategy like the Escalade exist." Edmund's was also very critical of the vehicle.

Bob
  • arh1956arh1956 Posts: 14
    I actually am very aware of all the reviews concerning the Denali , & Escalade ! They reflect the opinions & biases of the reporters testing these trucks & are of very little value to me , as I will drive & evaluate each vehicle myself ! I do enjoy the reports for the entertainment value they offer & appreciate that someone makes this info. available ! The Rover & Cruiser are no match for GM's SUV's for me !