Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac Escalade

Comments

• glenn2glenn2 Posts: 39
    It would be a kick alright azguy, to the face maybe. $48,000 for a Tahoe with a Caddy grill??what a waste money.
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Posts: 128
    Now that the stock market is beginning to tank, it will be interesting to see how many people piss their money away on what is basically a dolled up Chevy Tahoe which in turn is a Chevy 1/2 ton truck with a back seat and cap. It's amazing!

As for those that think the Navigator is it, you obviously love to spend money on fancy grills, chrome add-on's, etc. You have way too much cash so send me some.

This Excalade/Navigator trend reminds me of the 1970's. Remember Opera Lights, chrome, fake convertible tops, spare tire carriers hanging from the trunk? Who needs engineering, responsive engines, cars that handle? This was when American car companies were at their worst. The cars stunk, but what glitz!

I see the American manufacturers have not learned, but hey there are plenty of buyers waiting with deposit checks so who can blame them?

Never underestimate people's ability for bad taste!
  • Yes, it's criminal 2 call a Chevy a 'Lac
    and I am pissed about that
    however, Let's look at the
    Navigator/Expedition
    Qx4/Pathfinder
    Camry/300
    civic/integra
    maxima/I30

It's not just the General & Hank doing this

leighprice-how many 1971 Chevy Trucks have U seen on the road 2day? That's a rhetorical ?, but I no the answer is "several"

rsholland, my problem is not W/ the cannibalization.

Camaro/Firebird have always been the same car, but they've been about the same price

Now, W/ this Denali/Envoy/Escalade Crap, they're throwing on some useless fringe (It has nothing 2 do W/ the purpose of the truck [that's what an SUV is supposed 2 be ]) and jacking up the price.

They should just say "this is a CHEVY, damn it, and it's a truck. If U want a Vehicle that makes love to you, get a Jaguar. If U have work 2 do, whip out your *book."

4get the elitist dogs; every 1else knows who the king is
  • SWCSWC Posts: 10
    What a goofy looking truck! Kind of reminds me of the old VW Beetles with the Rolls Royce front ends! (anyone remember those?)
  • If you're trying 2 say the caddy is ugly, you'll never be that right again!
    ICK!
  • arh1956arh1956 Posts: 14
    As far as looks go I have always thought GM had it right with their Full-size SUV's "Yukons & Suburbans" , and think the Denali is without question the best looking SUV on the planet ! I also have no problem with using the standard GM engines & drivetrains , but I cannot bring myself to part with 40K+ for anything with drum brakes ! Would a rear disc upgrade to differentiate it from the standard Tahoe be too much to expect for the $10,000 premium ? Come on GM help us loyal upscale buyers out , I don't mind paying more , but I've got to get something besides the look !
  • if I had to part with anything close to 40k or more I never consider, american made..I would purchase true quality...LAND ROVER.

IS THERE ANY MORE TO BE SAID...
  • There is more to be said. Unless you are going to do serious off-roading, there is little reason to buy a Land Rover. Look at their forum. Lots of disappointed yuppies who bought one for image and can't stand the reliability problems. The people who swear by them do serious off roading. I assume you know that already.

I agree that if I were spending over $40k, I would have trouble buying an American SUV. Over $40k, my vote is on the Toyota Land Cruiser. You get Toyota reliability, excellent resale value, decent off road capacity, etc.

I recently rented a Chevy Blazer for a trip. What a piece of underengineered garbage. I'm sure the Tahoe is much better, but the Blazer does not make GM look like the engineering wonders of the world. No wonder you see low mileage 98's for $20k. No one wants them!

Sorry for getting off the subject, but has anyone actually bought an Escalade or Denali? This forum is awfully quiet.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    Anybody who buys a Tahoe with a "Cadillac" badge on the grille, and thinks they are getting superior product, is nuts.

I have yet to read a road test (not a press announcement) on the Escalade that has had much positive to say about it. I believe it was Automobile magazine that stated something to the effect that: "Only in a SUV-hungry market, could a vehicle strategy like the Escalade exist." Edmund's was also very critical of the vehicle.

Bob
    I actually am very aware of all the reviews concerning the Denali , & Escalade ! They reflect the opinions & biases of the reporters testing these trucks & are of very little value to me , as I will drive & evaluate each vehicle myself ! I do enjoy the reports for the entertainment value they offer & appreciate that someone makes this info. available ! The Rover & Cruiser are no match for GM's SUV's for me !
  • GM is very fond of buyers like you, especially if you buy an Escalade/Denali. I don't have a problem with the Tahoe or Suburban, per se. They do what's expected. I just think it is funny that people would shell out $45+ for a Tahoe with a Cadillac badge. Of course, the Tahoe is simply a 1/2 ton Chevy pickup truck with a back seat and cap but that's a whole different discussion. But hey, everyone is entitled to buy what they want.

It's no mystery why GM's marketshare has dropped from 50% to 31-32% in the last 20 years.

In terms of whether the Rover and Cruiser are no match for GM's SUV, well everyone has different priorities. I won't argue about Rover, they have their own problems. The one area where GM has everyone beat is in the size of the Suburban. You can't buy a bigger SUV. If that is your priority, you are right.

If you think the Blazer is the best SUV in it's class, then you definitely are a diehard GM lover and have never driven any other SUV.
    bostnwhalr

AMEN!

Bob
    GM replaced the blazer with the Tahoe a few years ago ! I have a 99 ML 430 & feel it is the supreme SUV on the market ! But I also find the Denali an excellent choice ! I have driven & owned many brands of full-size SUV's "No Hummer" & find the GM's truly good trucks ! Driving one is the only way to know & I've got 240,000 miles on my 84 Suburban !
  • sbc1sbc1 Posts: 1
    Anyone out there have a Escalade or heard anything about it?
    Escalade is Re-badged Denali with a little nicer interior appointments & On-Star standard & free for a year ! It also offers a 4 year , 50K warranty ! Other than that it is a Denali in a couple of other colors !
  • According to most of you I'm gonna starve...there will be no one willing to part with 45K+ for an Escalade...?
    WAKE UP!!
    The first, of many Escalades is expected in our showroom within the next week or so... Our waiting list must be a mirage right? Deposits (at full sticker price only) are numbering 50+... Don't you people get it? As with the Navigator - the Escalade appeals to people with unlimited (or close) greenbacks who say "I want luxury and service unsurpassed by the base models"... People, this isn't rocket science - There is a market niche and Cadillac is fulfilling the niche just as the Navigator has done... Remember Marketing 101? The people who purchase an Escalade CAN AFFORD IT!!
    A 2 or 3 year lease will account for 85% (projected) of the Escalade business we'll do... Over 50% of the leases will be one-payment leases. When the lease is up the newly designed, technologically improved Escalade will be out... Anything wrong with that logic? Maybe you conservative, careful, practical tire-kickers who analyize a car to the nth degree will all wait and see... and thats fine, but there are a lot of well-to-do (even rich) folks out there (giving a crap about what the stock market is doing) that want the wreath and crest TODAY... Look at the way GM/Cadillac has stepped up to the plate with the new STS... It is a player in an extremely competitive pier group. Forgive me, maybe I'm blinded by optimism and loyalty, but I've got a feeling we'll garner some of the market share of the MB and Lexus in due time. OK - go ahead - keep slamming the Escalade... I feel much better...
    CadillacMan

Having a lot of money doesn't necessarily equate with being smart. The Escalade will appeal to "traditional old-fashioned" Caddy folks. I doubt that there will be many "conquest" sales.

Sure, it gives folks like you something to sell. However, after the initial "gotta-be-the-first-on-the-block-to-have-it-sales-rush" is over, it will turn out to be about as successful as the Izusu Hombre, the Suzuki X-90, the Acura SLX, as well a a host of other losers. It's just another Cimarron (or Edsel), only this time on steriods. It certainly doesn't do anything to help Cadillac's image as a premier maker of motor vehicles.

Also... if Lincoln comes out with a pickup (as is predicted), will Cadillac also come out with one? What a joke!

Bob
  • Sorry CadallicMan,

I don't mean to abuse your occupation and I agree that the STS is a fine piece of machinery, but unlike the Escalade, you can't get the STS in a different GM car with the same style and performance. That's my point. With the Escalade, you can and its called the Tahoe Yukon or Denali.

Don't forget, GM was wishy washy about coming to market with it. They were not even going to do it and in a last ditch effort, decided to throw this Tahoe with On-Star and creamy leather on the market.

As far as your waiting list goes, that's great! More suckers. And good commissions for you.

As far as service goes, I'm sure your dealer provides excellent service, yet I'm sure there are other dealers that are not so great. By the way, does your service department have as much experience as a GMC or Chevy dealer servicing trucks? Didn't think so. Hmmmm....

How's that resale value on Cadillacs. In most parts of the country, you can pick up a two year old caddy for 50% of original retail. Try that with a Mercedes or Honda.

How's that Catera, the Caddy that spends way too much time in the shop. Really reliable, eh? Seen about 2-3 on the road in the past year. Really storming the market.

You know why everyone is leasing an Escalade, because they don't want to take the depreciation hit. Guess how many people lease an M-Class, very few. And that vehicle still has a 6 month waiting list, more than a year after going on sale. Why? Because it's less expensive, better engineered and you can't buy a less expensive derivative of it at your Chevy store.
  • j35i1j35i1 Posts: 1
    the cadillac escalade is a very nice suv . i test drove it the other day it was very comfortable and when i went over speed bumps i barly felt them . I tink its way better then a navigator. On a navigator you would feel every bump on the road
    so if i were you i would buy a escalade.
    j35il

I'm also not a huge fan of the Navigator. However, at least the Navigator "appears" somewhat different than the Expedition. When it arrives with the DOHC 5.4 later this year, there will be much greater distinction between the Ford and Lincoln - which will help.

As to your comments regarding the ride; remember these are trucks, not cars. I drove a Navigator when it was first introduced. My memory was the it was very comfortable and HUGE, and with a somewhat "floaty" ride. The name "Navigator" is apt. It felt like I was piloting a boat. I really have no desire to drive the Escalade. It's just not my cup of tea.

As I have posted before, neither of these vehicles significantly advance the "state-of-the-art" for luxury SUVs. They're just more vehicular clutter.

Let me also say - to set the record straight - I have no problem with Cadillac or Lincoln having an SUV (or pickup) per say. However, if they are going to make these models, and... because these are supposed to be two premium nameplates, make them "truly premium vehicles" in every sense of the word.

Bob