Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac Escalade

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Denali/Excalade comparo?

-mike
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I drove an 04 last week. It was the 2wd with the small motor, and it drove just like I thought it would, like the Tahoe. Not that it's bad, but the Navigator is a lot more refined, IMO. Depends on how you like them to drive I guess.

The Escalade is a beauty on the outside to be sure, and is definitely preferred by the music video crowd, at least. As well as many others. But if everybody preferred it, we wouldn't have an Infiniti QX56, or a Lexus LX 470 would we?
  • nferrnferr Posts: 32
    Absolutely. Everyone has different tastes. I'm somewhat surprised you didn't feel any difference driving an Escalade and a Tahoe. The ride is smoother in the Caddy due to probably softer springs and the road sensing suspension which adjusts the shocks electronically. And the steering is much lighter. More noise isolation too. Since you drove the 2WD version there's no difference in the engine but the AWD model of course has more power than the Tahoe. And you get the stabilitrack in the Caddy. To be truthful I prefer certain things in the Tahoe, mainly the tighter steering and the low gear for the 4WD. But the Caddy is a lot more luxurious.

Paisan, I didn't drive the Denali. We did drive an Envoy and didn't particularly like it, but I didn't even see any Denali's around. My wife pretty much had her heart set on the Escalade because of the looks and to be honest if you're spending this much money you do want the Caddy crest rather than the GMC one. Or at least we did.

Same basic reason people pay a lot more for the Lexus over the Land Cruiser or the Infiniti over the Armada. None of these luxury SUV's are a necessary purchase when you look at it rationally.
    was just curious how close the denali was to escalade. I personally won't be getting a full-size SUV til the GMs come in Diesel since I use it for towing about 10k miles a year and milage towing 10K miles a year is an issue.

-mike
    NOW we're talking!! I think if ANYBODY put a diesel in their big SUV (Excursion and Suburban excluded, too big), they could sell a whole raft of 'em.
    That's what I'd like to buy or a Yukon size but no Diesels :( I'm considering the Liberty since it will have a CRD next year.

-mike
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    I'm still considering the Escalade on my next SUV purchase and no one has written in this section in a while.

I would hope to think the Cadillac Escalade is completely trouble free since no one is complaining!

I tried to look on the GM site to see when the next restyle was coming but haven't been able to find any good information. I think maybe the next change will come in 2007, am I right?

Mark
    Probably more like nobody cares. Whenever it is, I hope they put a Cadillac interior in it finally, instead of a Silverado with more plood.
    Jim (nvbanker), I actually like the interior of the Cadillac. I'm sure the next generation Escalade will make improvements like the Navigator did as it went from one model year to the next. Talk about plastic, that big door on the dash is waiting to be broken.

What has attracted me to the Cadillac vs. the Navigator is the longer version ESV. I like the looks of the GMC YukonXL Denali better but I like the rear bumper sensors, the larger engine, full leather on all three rows that the Cadillac offers, and let's not forget, the Bvlgari clock! LOL.

Mark
    I LOVE the outside of the Escalade, just not impressed with the Silverado interior.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Posts: 238
    Well I asked the question on the Denali board about why it doesn't have rear sensors and some clown basically told me I couldn't drive if I needed them. I personally wouldn't buy a truck that big without them. Like nvbanker, I like the outside of the ESV much better, but the interior, which isn't the worst I've seen, could certainly be brought into the 21st century.
    Agree on the rear sensors.....I won't have a truck without them again, and perhaps not a car either. They're not necessary, but damn convenient.
    Aggie, I have the sensors on my Mercedes ML500 on the front and back. They are SO convenient! I wish that the Caddie had them for the front. When I looked at the Yukon XL Denali, the salesman said that I could add the sensors to the rear for $1,700. But, it would have an after market illuminator inside that might not look so nice. So, that's why the Escalade popped to the top of my list.

I was thinking so strongly of trading last year for an 2004 but decided to keep my ML another year. I usually like to trade in December for the new model so I'll think more seriously as that time approaches.

I like the dash of the Escalade, it sits flat, everything is within reach, the woodgrain is done nicely.... I just don't have a problem with the look of the dash. It's a truck, not a sedan.

Mark
  • aggiedogaggiedog Posts: 238
    Yeah, I know Mercedes has been doing them for years. They are good to have as opposed to backing up until you hit something. I've crossed the Denali off my shopping list. I've just been getting brochures from everyone and I'll start really shopping when the 05's hit the dealers in big numbers, probably late Oct with the ESV and the Lincoln Nav at the top of my list. My wife, of course, may have other ideas.
    You guys crack me up with the sensor thing....

Learn to manuver your vehicles, period, you shouldn't be driving a big-truck if you can't handle it. Typical American SUV driver of today though...

-mike
    Mike, it doesn't mean that we can't handle the vehicle, it's just easier when you have the sensors. At my home in California, I live at the end of the street so when I'm backing up into the street, I get really close to a flower bed and fence. I don't have to turn my neck to see how close I'm getting, I just watch the indicator located at the ceiling light up as I get closer to the obstacle. We have six cars in my household, only two have sensors. You can get used to them really quick!

The front of the ML is very slanted and it somewhat difficult to see the end of the vehicle. I put a wind deflector on the front to help prevent rock chips on the windshield and it helps to see the front-end. So, I still depend on the sensors with out having to tilt forward to look how close I'm getting to another car, etc.

It's just a convenience like auto up/down on the electric windows, you really get used to it.

Mark
    the sensors can save you a crunched bumper from a low slung rock when off road or a log you don't see. I'm pretty good at avoiding accidents and handling my SUV, I think. But in my older models with out it, I have caught some of these hazards here and there and damaged the car. With the sensors, I can jam the brakes and avoid a collision. Personally, I'm addicted to them, and use them every day for backing up. Wouldn't be without them, if they were available, and it would make the difference, all other things being equal, on which truck I selected for a future car. YMMV
    You become dependent on them, and when they fail you are totally at a loss or blame it on the broken sensor as the reason you hit something. Amazingly people have been piloting these vehicles for 50+ years w/o significantly messing them up or killing people w/o the sensors....

As for offroading? I offroad a lot, never saw 1 offroad rig with such sensors, no Bling Bling mobiles on the trails I go on....

-mike
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,778
    Amazingly people have been piloting these vehicles for 50+ years w/o significantly messing them up or killing people w/o the sensors....

Just those 130 odd kids I mentioned the other day.

For a computer guy, you sure sound like a Luddite Mike. Looks like you're way out-numbered on this one. Maybe we can find you an old IH Scout to play with :-)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I just find that people have become so dependent on systems like this that they forget how to actually drive. I'm all for technology, but items like this only serve to make the driver extremely lazy and not take responsibility for their driving, their RESPONSIBILITY behind the wheel to be aware of backing up and piloting their cars. I can't begin to tell you how many people I want to boot of the road cause they are driving their cars on their handsfree phone (legal in all states) and not paying attention to the matter at hand, which is DRIVING.

In 10 years we'll all have the sensors for detecting objects rather than paying attention to the road or backing up and that is dangerous because it's not a direct connection between you and the road/items that may be in the way.

-mike

PS: I bet that of those 130 people hit, 90% would have been hit ANYWAY because the driver was not paying attention, or on the phone or watching a DVD or other such lazy action when they should be paying attention to driving :(
    Mike, sensors make the driver lazy? That is ludicrous. There are just some things you cannot see that the sensors come in handy for. For instance, if you are loading something (new TV from Circuit City, etc) and need to back up to a loading dock, a long vehicle like the Escalade ESV can be hard to judge your distance from a side mirror. Granted, I could probably do it and never touch the bumper but if something like the sensors will prevent a scrape on the bumper, I'm all for it.

The sensors did fail on my ML once and I hit the wood box in my garage. I depended on my sensors to work just as you depend on other items in your car to work. I had recently put a "bug zapper" plug-in in the electrical outlet that is supposed to discourage bugs, mice, etc from coming in the garage. The zapper sends out a signal that caused the bumper sensors to malfunction. As I was trying to figure out what was going on, I bumped the box I had in the garage. No damage at all, I just touched it.

Thinking that my sensors were bad, I tried it with my friends S500 Mercedes and his malfunctioned too. So, the little bug zapper was out of the garage and into the storage room. Before I realized it was the zapper, I had the dealer check the sensors and everything was OK, then I found the culprit.

Mark
    You know, if my sensors failed, (and I've never heard of any doing that yet, but whatever), I could:

1) Dial up my wife on the Cellphone in my car, and ask her to guide me into the garage...

2) Use the rear mounted camera to visually inspect where I was backing up, or

3) Resort to the "state of the art" mirrors and visually guide myself into my space.

But I would miss the guidance my beeper gives me when backing up to my trailer. It goes steady exactly when my ball is under the hitch, and I can stop the truck right where it needs to be to drop on. Otherwise, I'd have to hit it like we used to, and then move 4 inches forward.
    Backing up to a loading dock is easy, you open the hatch and backup looking out through the vehicle.

Banging into a trailer hitch just means you need more practice, been backing up to trailer hitches for a while and rarely if ever hit them even though i can't see them directly.... practice my son!

-mike
    Paisan, give it up, you are not going to win this one!

Mark
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,778
    I used to know a crane operator who preached that non-stop. Then I met another crane operator who turned one over. Turns out there's a big market for crane sensors because even when you know your vehicle and have lots of practice/experience, you can always use more feedback (link).

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Yeah yeah I hear yah, i'll just make sure to have an even LARGER vehicle so idiots who can't drive their Excalades and Denalis don't run me over....

;)

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I happened to be driving behind a lexus sedan with backup sensors installed with a big vertical crease in the trunk and bumper. Clearly someone ran into a pole, perhaps one of those that are only 3 feet high and hard to see? Nevertheless quite amusing and it made me think of this thread.

How well do the sensors work? Do they only beep when you are approaching a brick wall, but not say a pole?
    In my cars, they beep at anything, even as high as a curb. However, if your radio is too loud, you may override the beep. In my car, the radio volume is lowered when it begins to beep so you will hear it for sure, but I know in some cars, that's not the case.
    SBcooke, there is also the chance that the 'Lexus' driver had them turned off. In my Mercedes ML, I have a switch to turn them off. The reason why the switch comes in handy is, is when you are stopped, lets say, at a school crosswalk. The kids walking in front of the vehicle cause the sensors to beep constantly as long as they are within 2 feet of the bumper. At that point, it can drive your crazy.

I'm going to tell a story on myself here.... about a year ago, I went out to dinner with a couple of friends and I dropped them off at their house. When I pulled up the driveway I stopped at the garage and opened my door to get out so I could open the back door for my guests. In a stupid rush, I forgot to put the ML in park and I didn't realize it was rolling forward until I heard the front sensors starting to beep. I whirled around and put the car into Park. Since I was on a slight incline, the ML was creeping very slow. Thank goodness for those sensors that day or I might have bought a new garage door for my friends.

Mark
  • tdohtdoh Posts: 298
    Coming in late on this whole sensor thread but...I can see how/why it would be advantageous (from a safety POV) to have them in the rear, but the front? IMHO I think having front sensors is just a luxury add-on for owners to boast of one more neat gadget. Sure, one could argue that front sensors would be useful for parking but c'mon--the need of front sensors as object detectors in general is overkill. I mean, if you're not paying attention to what's in front of you while moving forward? Heaven help me if I happen to be in front of you while driving out on the road...

And to the person who offered the story of how the (front) sensors saved his vehicle from hitting the garage door--well, sensors shouldn't be viewed as failsafes for a lack of concentration/responsibility when operating a motor vehicle. Sure they saved your vehicle from hitting the garage door--but seriously, did you have that incident in mind when you were wondering about what purpose front sensors would serve?