Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac Escalade

Comments

• anonymousanonymous Posts: 314
    HELP !!! Stop me from buying a 2000 navigator TODAY!!! Details on 2001 escalade ??? ex. avail. date, possible night vision, 3 rd seat, center row airbags, ent. center., h.p., moonroof , etc... THANKS!!!
  • tsmocktsmock Posts: 1
    I have had my new 2000 Escalade for 3 weeks...I live in the Atlanta area, at best I have been successful in connecting with OnStar in 1 out of 10 attempts.Today I had my SECOND tire blow out and could not get through to OnStar, I tried for over 45 minutes with continuous busy signal....very disappointing. The tire situation is one I would like to hear more about...are others having similar issues with tires?
  • Review my comments made early may #171, regarding tires. I replaced all four tires to a more durable "D" load rated tire and haven't had a flat or blow out since. I agree with On-Star you're much better off with a personal cell phone which is easier to put in your pocket and cheaper than On-Star. I stayed with Goodyear tires but went to more aggresive treads. The Caddy dealers in this town told me too bad however bravo Goodyear as they gave me a new set of tires and understood the frustration I was exhibiting.
  • zinheadzinhead Posts: 4
    I like Caddy's new front end styling on thier cars. It meshes well with the front end of thier LeMans prototype (as if any of thier regular customers cared about the race). Buy grafting that grill and headlights onto the Suburban platform makes the new 2001 Caddy SUV of the ugliest vehicles on the road. IMHO of course.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
    #193 was scribbled because it contained a copyrighted photo. Please read the User Agreement for clarification concerning copyrighted material.

KarenS
    Edmunds.com Town Hall Host

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• Can anyone help?
  • lxownrlxownr Posts: 16
    Lexus LX470 or Toyota Landcruiser, at least they do not depreciate $15,000. the first year...
    Read Edmunds Road Test Of Luxury S.U.V.
    Escalade came in dead last !!!!!!!!!!
  • That american SUV's are a personal preferance of mine, althought the new escalade will definitely not be on my driveway. The Denali is much better looking.
  • hilbyhilby Posts: 1
    My new 2000 Escalade is really junk. I love the looks and interior, however, it has been in the shop more than in my garage. The vibration at high speeds is horrendous, making the vehicle difficult to control. It's been in the dealer five times for this and it's only getting worse. The front end has been aligned twice and I'm having electrical problems. The car has less than 8000 miles. My 1994 Explorer literally rides better than the Escalade. If GM would trade me for a top of the line Tahoe, I'd say "Adios" in a second. However, GM is playing Ostrich over this.
  • tamcotamco Posts: 40
    So you want to see photos....Go to the www.cadillac.com site click on United Staes then click on 2002 Escalade preview: lower left hand corner...2002 specs, photos, 360 degree tour etc....all new chasis, motor, sheet metal....definatelly not a TAHOE/ Daneli. Bold new EVOQ look, eight passenger bomb . Also in Motor Trend Sept issue. Trust this will get you on the right track....orders being accepted in Dec....Best of luckin your Quest.TAMCO
  • I just purchased a new 2000 Escalade with only a couple of reservations.

Why it there no trip computer? Can one be added?

What is the best and most affordable way to have a cellular phone with a hands free speaker phone installed?

All input appreciated.

Stannova1
  • tamcotamco Posts: 40
    Did fellows/ gals note the Home page of Edmunds...click on 2002 Escalade. Great article. TAMCO
  • I think it is ridiculous that someone has put the name Cadillac on a Tahoe, marked it up about $15K and people are actually buying it. Anyone want to buy a bridge or some Ocean-front property in North Dakota?
  • from the strategy that any profitable car company employs. The same could be said about Lexus and Toyota, Jaguar and Lincoln, Lincoln and Ford, Volkswagen and Audi, and the upcoming Porsche(Cayenne) and Volkswagen(Colorado). Platform engineering is not new, nor is it a rip off. The upgrades in engine, suspension, electrical wiring, features, and other content are worth the higher price alone. The Caddy can be perceived as a bargain, especially considering that the 2002 will offer many of the same and in some instances more specs than it's often higher priced and smaller sized rivals. I know size is subjective, but you get a whole lot of vehicle with substantial presence for the same or less than a BMW X5 4.4, ML430, or Range Rover. The new Caddy will be a run away success. It won't handle like it's smaller rivals, but it will cosset and pamper its owner in a manner that only large luxury sedans and the Lexus LX470 can rival at a price that is $20-$50K cheaper.

It will go a long way towards repositioning/reestablishing the brand with influential young influencers. Entertainers, athletes, and young executives as recently as 2 years ago would have laughed at the notion of getting a Caddy. Now, the Escalade will be in the same garages and valets of trendy hot spots parked next to 911's, S500's, S600's, CLK's, CL's, 7's, Jag's, Range Rovers, and other luxury vehicles. The Escalade will put the Caddy back in the same frame of reference as those vehicles. That is a significant development that further validates GM's decision to create Cadillac versions of their SUV's/Trucks. The result will be younger customers more open to the possibility of seriously considering other Caddy products like the Evoq and Imag. That will be a serious win for Caddillac and American Luxury in general.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,727
    The new Escalade will be a run away failure, not success, just like the current one.

GM wants Cadillac to compete with the best the SUVs in the world. The Escalade just doesn't cut the mustard. All it does is reinforce the long-standing image of Cadillac being a huge "soft," American luxury barge, with little in the way of technical or engineering innovation. It is no way, state-of-the-art, or cutting edge.

Where's the 5-speed automatic transmission? Where's the Northstar engine? Where's the independent rear suspension? Where's the fold into-the-floor third rear seat? What happened to the low range in the transfer case? It used to be there! Okay, so it's got the On-Star system. Big deal.

The Japanese and especially the Europeans are light years ahead of Cadillac when it come to innovation.

If this is the "Best" GM can offer, the future's for GM is not looking great. And, as usual, Cadillac is the follower -- not the leader.

Bob
  • Wow! I never met someone quite like you. Well thought out post RS. Too bad you are wrong on so many levels. No Northstar? It is very tough to re-engineer the best engine in the world to a rear wheel drive model instead of front. Third seats? Like the useless ones in the Durango and the Navigator? Have you actually sat in one? If yes, how tall are you? 3'7"? I for one am glad they didn't. I do agree with you on one point. It is a tahoe. I am sorry to all the 99 and 00 escalade owners, but it is true. Forget the fact that everything is standard on the caddy like the front and rear heated seats, the nicer leather, the best suspension using Bilstien shocks, the free onstar, the longer warranty, the 7 disc cd changer, the Bose radio, the built in TV and VCP, and the body cladding. Never mind the fact that there are certain perks because it is a Cadillac and not a Chevy. The only thing Cadillac did wrong with this truck is bring it out after the Navigator. Now, when the 02's hit the ground, I would be interested to see what you think of it? Seeing as it will blow everything else in the market away with standard equipment like the 345 HP motor, Stabilitrac, Auto leveling, rear air AND a sunroof (try getting that in any other sport utility), your third row fold away rear seats, and keep the price about the same. But, like I said RS, you are entitled to your opinions regardless of how wrong they are.
  • Sorry, that should have been address to RSHolland and Mrzang. Mrzang is the fool who thinks the Caddy is a tahoe marked up 15 grand. My apologies RS.
    It figures. Your response is typical of Caddy owners who always seem to be in denial.

I repeat:

Where's the 5-speed automatic that Acura, Mercedes and BMW have?

Where's the IRS that Acura, Lexus RX300, Mercedes and BMW have?

Where's the split folding-into-the-floor third rear seat the Acura MDX has?

Lincoln is NOT the target. Mercedes, BMW, Acura and Lexus are, if you want to be considered "world-class." All those brands offer more "high-tech" engineering than does the Escalade.

Yes, I have seen and read about the new 2002 Escalade. It doesn't impress.

Bob
  • I for one like the image of a large american SUV. BE it either one, they have more interior space, more power, better looks (in my opinion) and just the right status implied on people who I know. If you like the Smaller import SUV's then please state so in their own forums. (I own a 4 runner) I don't like it very much. But this isn't the place for that.
    This is a discussion board, not a fan club. That means both positive and negative opinions are welcome.

My point is this: Cadillac and Lincoln are supposed to be the best that America can offer in terms of luxury, engineering, whatever... They've got the luxury end nailed. Always have. But that's it. Period. Both Cadillac and Lincoln cars are finally starting to make inroads as being considered "world class." The SUVs have a long way to go before achieving that status.

I am willing to bet anyone, that when we start reading comparison tests (be it Consumer Reports, Edmund's or the auto/SUV buff books) between the Escalade and the other "premium" SUVs, that the Escalade will continue to be at, or near, the bottom. It will be good at being luxurious -- which is a given. It will be middle-of-the-road to poor in all other areas of performance. I'm talking about all around performance, not just what 345 HP can do in a straight line.

If you like GM's definition of what a luxury SUV should be, fine. I don't, and will continue to speak out. If that offends you, too bad.

Bob
  • robh3robh3 Posts: 157
    Well, I agree with Gaskins and ttcad here.

The only thing Caddy did wrong was wait too long to enter the luxury truck market. They admit to that, know they are behind, and as such are about to introduce several hot new SUVs over the course of the next 3 years (and beyond if the market still demands).

The first generation Escalade makes no apologies for being an upgraded Denali. The Navigator, LX470, QX4, and several others are upgraded models of lesser "sister" vehicles. Why a large number of people seem to point out the Escalade for its lesser roots, as if it's the only vehicle of its kind to have such a lineage, I do not understand.

The current Escalade has already brought in younger buyers to Cadillac showrooms, and yes, including enough people in the entertainment industry to be relevant and countable. He'll remain nameless here, but I have a relative in the entertainment industry in his low 30's who bought an Escalade and could afford essentially any damn vehicle he wants. He chose the Escalade...a Cadillac.

Regarding the Edmunds review of the new '02 Escalade, given that these guys have seemingly gone out of their way to find things wrong with any other Cadillac they have tested and written about, the fact that they were so impressed with the new Escalade that they say it is equal to, if not better than, the other luxury SUVs, both import and domestic, speaks volumes. Frankly, I was amazed when I read it, and excited, since the '02 Escalade really represents the first of the "new breed" of Cadillac vehicles that will begin to be introduced for the '02 model year.

Anyway, as of now all we can do is speculate as to how the consumer market will react to the new '02 Escalade. I have a feeling that we'll be seeing a lot more Escalades hitting the road, and a lot of them will be "suped up" with aftermarket goodies that'll make them look even hotter. This will be a very profitable vehicle for Cadillac, and it will set new standards in many areas for the large luxury SUV market.

Competition is good. All of us consumers win in the end.

Like it or not, Cadillacs are becoming cool again.
    You've made a number of valid points. Excellent post.

Your comments regarding the Navigator, LX470, QX4, are absolutely true. You can also add the Acura STX to that list. I'm not a fan of those models either. I don't like "badge engineering" in any way, shape or form. You can argue, and rightfully so, that this is the easiest, cheapest and quickest way to bring a new model to market. The problem is -- no matter how much you dress it up -- you still end up with a mediocre product -- because its roots (which you can't change) are mediocre to begin with.

Of those other badge-engineered vehicles I have hope (strong hope) for the next Navigator, which is due out in a couple of years. From what I've read so far, it will have many of the features the current models "should" have right now.

The excellent 2002 Explorer is a good tip-off as to what you can expect to find on the next Navigator. It will have virtually all the items (that I feel should be there) that are currently missing from the current Navigator, Escalade, etc. It will have IRS, a roomy, easy-to-access and fold-away third seat, and most likely a 5-speed automatic. All of these features will make it a class-leading vehicle. Yes the next Expedition will also have many, if not all those features. The difference is that the next Navigator will start off using a much more sophisticated platform to begin with.

Bob
  • I have to apologize for the earlier post. To come out attacking was wrong. I guess I was just having a bad day.

The only real problem I see with your conclusion is that you are comparing vehicles that were built off of car chassis. The ML is a product of the E class. The X5 is a tall 5 series. What would happen if they but bigger tires on an STS and called it an SUV? No one could come close to the technology. I have driven (BTW, I am not an owner of a Cadillac, I run a dealership) all the inports for a good spin. I have to say that I do like the trucks. I use the term truck VERY loosely though. After all, they are still just big, tall cars. When the new 02 escalade hits, the technology will be greater than anything else out there. Stabilitrac in a sport ute?!? So they won't have a 5 speed tranny. Being able to pull 8700 pounds in complete luxury and safety doesn't require 5 gears. Besides, for the most part, the only thing a 5 speed does for you is give you more torque off the line because of the lower gear ratio in first. Not really needed.

I can say that interest in the vehicle is tremondous and Cadillac is accomodating that. I currently have 6 orders for them. All at list plus (whatever it might be). One of the orders is for a gentleman that had to extend the lease on his current escalade 6 months. This is unheard of on a GMAC lease. 2 month extensions are usually the most. Cadillac expects big things with this new one. So do I.

Again, I have to apologize for the scathing post earlier. As most people here such as Robh knows, I don't like to do that. Everyone has, and is entitled to, their own opinions.
    No apology is necessary. My comments are directed at getting better products made. I have no ax to grind with Cadillac. I just want to see the best Cadillac SUV possible. From what I've seen of their future product with cars, they seem to be headed in the right direction. I do wish, however, that they would embrace AWD (for "ALL" their cars) like Subaru has. If they did, I would be singing nothing but praise for Cadillac.

I take exception with your comment about the ML Mercedes being built off the E-Class chassis. That's just not true. The ML has a full-frame chassis. The E-Class is a unit-body design. Granted, it does share some components with the E-Class, but not the chassis.

I'm glad you mentioned the M-Class however. I have felt from day one that this vehicle would be the blueprint for future SUVs. I still do, in spite of numerous problems that the M-Class has encountered to date. As I mentioned, it has a full-frame, truck-like chassis, yet employs a car-like independent rear suspension. It also is the only "new-generation" SUV that continues to have a low range in the transfer case. I've noticed that the new 2002 Escalade has abandoned the low range. This is a mistake on Caddy's part. I am convinced that if an SUV is to truly be an SUV, a low range needs to be part of the package -- even if it's only used once a year -- it needs to be there.

I'm sure that when Mercedes introduces its next-generation ML, which is due around MY 2004, it will again raise the bar for this type of vehicle. I wish I could plug Cadillac's name in the above sentence, but to date, I've seen no evidence of that.

Bob
  • The M-Class does deliver advanced engineering and technology at an affordable price, but it has lessened the value of the Mercedes star. As a current Mercedes owner, I tried hard to make myself like the M-Class, but to no avail. Plain and simple, the M-Class is a lemon. It's build quality is worse than an Isuzu Rodeo - Check Consumer Reports. I know you referenced comparison tests on SUV's and the Escalade finishing near or at the bottom of the list. Well the same can be said for the M-Class. I know styling is mostly subjective, but the M does not have the same presence or prestige of other Mercedes. Even the entry level C-class surpasses the M in ergonomics, build quality, styling, and overall panache.

The Acura MDX has great features and technology, but it suffers from the same condition as most Japanese luxury vehicles--It has no soul.

The current Caddy was clearly an attempt to get product to the market as quickly as possible in the most profitable segment. It has serious shortcomings, but it has succeeded in bringing younger, wealthier people to the Cadillac Marquee. When Caddy modified the Tahoe platform, they were aiming squarely at the Lincoln Navigator and to a lesser extent Lexus LX470. The Acura, M-Class, X5, RX300, and Infiniti were never intended targets. They are not even in the same category. Not only are they smaller, they are also hybrid vehicles intended for different buyers and purposes.

The 02' Escalade will be even more successful for Cadillac because it will have the engineering and technology to rival all Full size luxury SUV's. It will provide the third row seating, stabilitrac, and the presence/prestige that discerning buyers demand.

The 2005 M-Class will also address most of the current M's shortcomings, but unfortunately most buyers can't afford to wait that long.
    I'm well aware of the M-Class's shortcomings, as I alluded to. The problems are in execution, not in concept. I am hoping, as I am sure are too, that these issues will have been rectified by the time the next-generation M-Class hits the streets.

I agree with you regarding the Acura MDX. I will also add that it too lacks a low range, and I believe(?) also comes with a temp spare tire, which is absurd in an SUV.

From what I've read, it sounds like the updated Navigator, which should debut on or around 2003, will be the leading "American" luxury SUV. All, or most of what I feel is lacking in the Escalade, will be featured on this vehicle.

Bob
  • robh3robh3 Posts: 157
    The last three or four post have got to represent the most "ideal" type of dialogue Edmunds ever intended when they created this "Townhall" forum. I love it; Objective and meaningful discussion!

Truthfuly, I am not even an SUV fan. But, I am a Cadillac fan. It has taken me all these years to figure out what the heck all the buzz is about with these overpriced, gas guzzling, tip-over prone vehicles called "utility" vehicles that most people never take off the freeways and city streets!

Having come to terms with the fact that the SUV craze just won't seem to die, I have also come to terms with the fact that the next generation Escalade will certainly open the doors to Cadillac dealerships even wider than than the 1st generation one has. Combine that with the new "near luxury" CTS that will debut in '02 (is it '02 or '03?), and things are certain to start changing in the Cadillac realm!

By the way, I have not ever said that I will NEVER own an SUV. Ya' never know...
    For those who are looking for more pictures of the new Escalade, go to this site, and in the SEARCH area type in "Escalade."

Bob

http://www.wieck.com/public/index.html
  • Go to www.cadillac.com Click on the link for United states. Go to bottom left hand corner and click on link to "All New 2002 Escalade". They have 360 degree view of the exterior and interior, show how the rear seats move, have detailed info on options available, and many other things. Worth a look.
  • Anyone know the MSRP on the 2002 Escalade?
    2WD $$$$?
    AWD $$$$?