Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

04 Acura TSX vs Certified 04 BMW 325i vs 04 Saab 9-3 Aero

2»

Comments

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    No doubt the Saab is a safe car (it is born from jets, after all :P ).

Looking at the IIHS test measurements, it looks like the BMW has much better numbers though.

I don't know if I would "disregard" the NHTSA's ratings. They are obtained with different tests, but they are no less valid.

Do you know the difference between the how the NHTSA and IIHS conduct their Side Impact tests?
  • saablcpsaablcp Posts: 195
    where are you looking on the IIHS website? IIHS vehicle ratings have the 3 series as G(good) front off-set collision,G for side impact,and depending on seat option either A(acceptable)or P(poor).The 9-3 is given G(good) across the board and because the scores were substantially above the basic G rating standards was then given a 2007 "Best Safety Pick" rating along with,as I previously mentioned,the Audi A-4.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Yes, I clicked the link for "technical measurements" and compared the measurements...

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/datatables.aspx?class=15&type=f

It appears the BMW is significantly better than the others (though they don't appear to have observed the major B Pillar intrusion that NHTSA noted).

Personally, I don't put much thought into crash test scores. I figure the tests are so standardized, that any manufacturer can build a car to "exceed the standard" and still cut corners elsewhere in the structure.
2»
This discussion has been closed.