Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Towing with a Honda Pilot

2»

Comments

• Hi everyone -

I have a 2006 Pilot with the dealer installed tow package. I will be towing a boat and trailer weighing around 2800-3000 lbs. The electrical connection at present is a 'four-flat'. One male ground and three female power for lights, turn signals, brakelights, etc.

The surge brake actuator on the boat trailer comes with a solenoid lockout that, when you place the vehicle in reverse, the solenoid engages and inserts a pin behind the coupler and prevents the actuator from engaging the brakes so you can back up. This configuration requires a 'five-flat' plug.

My question is: Can I safely tie into the reverse light wiring without screwing up something in the vehicle to provide the voltage to the solenoid to engage the pin?

Are there any other options? The parts guy at Honda didn't know what the term 'five-flat' meant. I found that curious though not unexpected.

Thanks,

FC
  • Hi everyone -

I have a 2006 Pilot with the dealer installed tow package. I will be towing a boat and trailer weighing around 2800-3000 lbs. The electrical connection at present is a 'four-flat'. One male ground and three female power for lights, turn signals, brakelights, etc.

The surge brake actuator on the boat trailer comes with a solenoid lockout that, when you place the vehicle in reverse, the solenoid engages and inserts a pin behind the coupler and prevents the actuator from engaging the brakes so you can back up. This configuration requires a 'five-flat' plug.

My question is: Can I safely tie into the reverse light wiring without screwing up something in the vehicle to provide the voltage to the solenoid to engage the pin?

Are there any other options? The parts guy at Honda didn't know what the term 'five-flat' meant. I found that curious though not unexpected.

Thanks,

FC
  • mark960mark960 Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2003 Pilot that I have been happy with. Typically it gets 20-23 mpg on the highway. However, I recently was towing an 6 x 10 enclosed trailer from NY to Florida. The mileage dropped to 10 mpg for the whole trip. I kept the speed below 60 mph to reduce wind drag.

Is this normal???? I had a Chevy Astro van that would get 15 mpg while towing a similar size trailer.

Tx.
    Mark
  • Anyone know what we have to do to be able to tow our Honda Pilot behind our RV? If not flat tow, what other suggestions?
  • trekstreks Posts: 4
    edited March 2011
    Hi guys,
    I am getting ready to ditch my 1994 Pathfinder and I am looking at the Honda Pilot as a replacement. Does anyone have experience with towing off road? I have a weekend cabin where 8 to 10 times a year I need to tow a garden tractor on a utility trailer. I know there shouldn't be a problem towing 20 miles to the cabin, but I have about 100 yards of a (fairly solid) gravel and dirt lane that is moderately up and down hill. The total towing weight of the tractor and trailer etc. is 2000 to 2500 lbs.
    Occasionally my tractor will fail (from dead battery etc.) and I will need to drive to a spot where I have been mowing and pull the tractor out in order to get it on the trailer and in for service.

So what do you think, is the Pilot up to this kind of task? (95% of the time this will be an around town vehicle).
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    With that combined weight you should have no problem whatsoever.
    Thanks for the reply JB.
    I thought that might be the case as I never needed the 4L on my Pathfinder for getting up, down and around.
    We were looking for something nice around town, esp. in the winter, and the better half wished for a car like crossover before she thought about the needs at the cabin.
    Just wanted to post an update in hopes of being helpful to someone else.

I purchased a 4WD EXL a couple of weeks ago. While I am sure the vehicle will suit my needs for the little off-road towing I need, the manual does state that the weight limit for towing off-road is 1000 lbs.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    1,000 lbs. seems very conservative. I suppose it depends on how you define "off road". For unimproved, bumpy "roads", without steep hills and over short distances, I would think you'll be fine if you're not in a hurry and take it easy. Obviously if you're trying to tow up or down steep hills that are truly "off road" it would be a different story.
  • I have a 2008 Pilot with the dealer installed tow package. I will be towing a boat and trailer weighing around 2800-3000 lbs. The electrical connection at present is a 'four-flat'. One male ground and three female power for lights, turn signals, brakelights, etc.

Are there any other options with the existing Honda 4 pin wiring that I can tap and connect to a blue wire of the 5 pin connector.
    Thanks,
  • Got a great deal on a tight 2003 Pilot with tow package and 135k miles. It has been used for towing before as can be seen from wear on the hitch and screw holes from what is more likely trailer brake controller.

It will be used to tow a small box trailer with my Harley and some other kit in it, 2.5k lbs max. Newly handicapped I'm towing rather than riding my bike around now.

Then I read about the trans problems w/2003 :-(

Is there an easy way to see if the necessary transmission modification has been made?

The Honda Service Department hasn't seen the car since 90k mile check-up. Copies of their service records are on the way. They want $2k for timing belt, water pump etc. and once they have it they'll surely hit me up for brakes, shocks, etc. My trusted mechanic can do this for much less of course and I'm leaning that way.

Thoughts solicited. Thanks!

Bill
  • jeffrimjeffrim Posts: 1
    Have a 2009 Pilot EX-L and want to tow a 2800 lb. 16' travel trailer.Bought the trailer but afterwards realized the DGVW is 5000# and the Pilot's rated at 4500#. Did I screw up and buy a trailer that's too heavy fully loaded? If I add a throttle body spacer for torque and load it lite, will I be okay or should I sell my new trailer? HELP!!
    Also, I read that I shouldn't use my included anti-sway weight distribution bar with the Pilot...is that true?
  • Jeff: I hate to say this, but I tow a small enclosed trailer and I don't think that the Honda Pilot is well suited for towing, and certainly NOT a 16 foot trailer. Even the 4WD model like I have says 4500 lbs.

You will kill your transmission and need $7K in repairs in 6 months. That is my prediction. Should you sell your trailer? Yes, or your Honda. If you tow something that exceeds the rating of your vehicle, you will void the warranty, and put yourself and your passengers at risk of injury in an accident.
    By the way, we rented a large Toyota Sequoia SR5 and that thing had a hellacious towing capacity. Maybe you need a different SUV or a pickup truck. Just saying.
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    Well.. looks like I will be getting a new toy to have along with "The Beast". I'm looking at a 15' Gillgetter Micro Pontoon (Gillgetter website) and I should have no problem pulling it with him. I have the full towing package along with the off-road package, so this looks to be like a fun time ahead. I've had campers and boats before, so this willbe nothing new for me. I'll post pictures when I do get the boat.

Odie

p.s. - the main picture on the website is a GMC Terrain pulling it, which in turn is smaller than the Pilot anyway.
  • tmacytmacy Posts: 1
    I've got a small, hardshell camping trailer that weighs about 1500 lbs (I think) and has a tongue pull attachment. I'm thinking about getting a 2002-2005 Honda Pilot with decent mileage (probably 140k+), and am wondering if the two would be compatible.

Do I need to look for a particular kind of hitch on the Pilot?

Would towing wear be extremely detrimental to the Pilot?

Thanks for any advice; I don't know very much about the topic.

Cheers,

Travis
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    If your looking at a used Pilot and want to tow with it, make sure it had the towing package. Anyone can put a hitch receiver under the back of one, but with the package you also get the Oil Cooler, Tranny Cooler and heavier duty suspension and gearing for low range pulling from stop.

Odie
2»