Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crossover SUV Comparison

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Thanks for explaining the context of the comments, and I agree.
    I checked one out at the DC Auto Show.

Conclusion: it's TINY!

I'm talking Nissan Versa-sized. No, come to think of it, it's much smaller than that.

So disappointing. It's honestly a 2+2 with a small trunk. I wonder if it's really any more practical than their own G37.

Given the total lack of utility I suppose they will call this one a Compact Crossover Coupe, maybe 3C?

All I can say is it had better be the drive of a lifetime if it wants to sell in any significant volume. We looked at it for about 3 seconds and dismissed it as being too tiny even to be our small car.
  • albookalbook Posts: 1,282
    The VUE and the Equinox were identical vehicles when they were introduced.

No. The midsize Equinox was always larger than the compact Vue.

Face the facts now. Ford did do a better job with its small and mid-sized CUVs and GM did a better job with its full-sized CUVs. That's all I'm saying.

Those aren't facts, that's subjective (okay, I'll give you that the Edge is nicer than the LARGER Equinox- but at least GM doesn't have a Caddillac version of it). But the Vue is now just as nice or nicer than the Escape. And the original Vue was the size of the last gen. CR-V, and smaller than this gen's Rav-4. Trust me. I know what I'm talking about.
  • albookalbook Posts: 1,282
    I see you have come to like the Highlander, but if you're not scared of Huyndai's reliability (I not, but some are) then I'd say get the VC. You'd probably get a better deal, and I think it's much more comfortable (especially in the 3rd row), and you get more for the money.

Just my take. Good luck.
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    I am actually on side with you. Just seems that my wife has really latched onto the big-screen back-up camera as the one thing in all this which impresses her most. It's integrated into the in-dash Nav screen so it's very clean. Anyone with experience putting in an aftermarket camera that didn't end up looking like an obvious add-on?? I am frankly surprised it isn't an option on the VC or T-X which offer only the sensors. Still, it would likely be easier to install a back-up camera than memory system for seat position. Am I the only one who considers the lack of memory seats a total rip-off in a CUV at the Highlander Limited's price?
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    I agree that the Highlander Limited should have a memory driver's seat. The 4 Runner Limited has it. I also don't understand Toyota's putting 8 way power front passenger seats in the Camry XLE but not not the Highlander Limited or the 4 Runner Limited.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    That is incorrect. The Vue's wheelbase was about half a foot shorter, a significant difference. They were on the same platform, but they were far, far from being identical.

After partipating in the Escape threads for several years I was under the assumption that the VUE was longer, wider, and taller than the Escape. IIRC some mags criticized GM for not putting a 3rd row in the last VUE. No?
    Those aren't facts, that's subjective (okay, I'll give you that the Edge is nicer than the LARGER Equinox- but at least GM doesn't have a Caddillac version of it).

When going by sales they are facts.

But the Vue is now just as nice or nicer than the Escape.

Well it should be! The Escape platform is 8 years old now.

And the original Vue was the size of the last gen. CR-V, and smaller than this gen's Rav-4. Trust me. I know what I'm talking about.

I never said you don't know what you're talking about. I just don't understand why you can't see how Ford concentrated on getting new mid-sized CUVs out and held off on the full-sizers while GM did the opposite. Both were in big trouble a year or two back and couldn't do both at the same time.
    See it here. From the Chicago Auto Show.

Maybe a little too much Malibu going on there with some Veracruz thrown in towards the D pillar. All in all not bad. Another forum suggested it will be smaller than the rest of the Lambdas. I know they wanted it to be cheaper so maybe that's how they cut the costs.
  • As mentioned earlier, our Crossover search has come down to a tight contest between the CX9, Enclave and Veracruz. We were leaning towards the Enclave, unless the other contenders could entice us with a low enough price.
    We negotiated with all the salespeople involved and came up with final prices. The prices include taxes, fees, interest on the monthly payments etc., etc.
    The numbers (Canadian), rounded to the nearest hundred, are as follows:
    Enclave (43,600)
    Veracruz (43,900)
    CX-9 (45,500)

And the winner is Buick Enclave. We get it at the end of the month (when we return our leased van).
    As it turns out, we did not need to drive the vehicles again, as the one my wife liked best, ended up being the least expensive, so it was an easy decision.
    My wife loves the vehicle, and has ordered it in cocoa colour with the cashmere cloth seats. They are bringing one in from a nearby dealer in a few days.

Having driven the CX9, Veracruz and Highlander, I would not hesitate to recommend them as excellent choices as well, depending on your own particular needs. For us, however, the best choice is the Enclave.
  • vad1819vad1819 Posts: 309
    So it got a the 3.6L engine's direct-injection technology helps produce power similar to many V-8 engines and uses regular unleaded gasoline. The Traverse is rated at an estimated 286 horsepower (213 kW)* and 255 lb.-ft. of torque (345 Nm)* with dual exhaust (281 hp/210 kW* and 253 lb.-ft./343 Nm* with single exhaust) - but delivers better-than-expected fuel economy. Ninety percent of the engine's peak torque is available from approximately 2,500 rpm to more than 6,000 rpm
    This picture looks like Audi Q7, is it?
    Anyone with experience putting in an aftermarket camera that didn't end up looking like an obvious add-on??

I considered doing this, and the most built-in looking solution I could find was one of those rear-view mirrors with a built-in LCD display. I could get power from the overhead console, and mount one of those license plate cameras that get power from the reverse lights. I think some of them are wireless.

Found one that mounts on the driver's sun visor, it's a big image so click on the URL:

http://www.kidsandcars.org/pictures/trailerhitch2.JPG

Another option is a sonar backup sensor, but it sounds like your wife fell in love with the backup camera.

FWIW, I ended up with a very, very simple solution - a fish-eye lens for the rear glass. You stick it on and it sort of bends light downward, and it actually works well when you have enough light. Tinted windows hurt a bit here.

baggs: the old Vue was more space efficient, and boxier, so it seemed about the same size inside, but the Equinox was significantly longer.
  • jimmy2xjimmy2x Posts: 124
    I checked one out at the DC Auto Show.

Conclusion: it's TINY!

I'm talking Nissan Versa-sized. No, come to think of it, it's much smaller than that.

So disappointing. It's honestly a 2+2 with a small trunk. I wonder if it's really any more practical than their own G37.

Given the total lack of utility I suppose they will call this one a Compact Crossover Coupe, maybe 3C?

All I can say is it had better be the drive of a lifetime if it wants to sell in any significant volume. We looked at it for about 3 seconds and dismissed it as being too tiny even to be our small car.

Could not agree more. Saw one at the Philly show and almost laughed at it. Now if I could only get that red G37 they had on display ;) .
    Meh, I prefer the Outlook. It's boxier and more purposeful.

It tries to be as stylish as the Enclave, but isn't, yet it doesn't have the more practical boxy shape of the Outlook and Acadia.

At least it's more than just a rebadge. That hatch looks just like the Enclave's, though.

In terms of style, I'd rate them like this:

Enclave > Outlook > Acadia > Traverse
    Good choice. Congrat. You will love it. It's very comfy even for every day driving. The traveling with family priceless, lot space for cargo, leg and shoulder. We're using all the time 3rd row and my 15 years old daughter has no complains at all.
    I like:
    Front - Acadia, rear - Outlook, side Enclave or Traverse.
    I like the rear of the Outlook best as well. The blacked out D-pillars specifically.

Anyone worried about visibility in the Traverse? The windows in the back seem kind of small.

FWIW, the reactions on that forum listed in the photos was extremely positive, and those are the people shopping for them.
    I like:
    Front - Acadia, rear - Outlook, side Enclave or Traverse.

I agree with you on that vad. Although, I'd still take a CX-9 over any of them.

FWIW, the reactions on that forum listed in the photos was extremely positive, and those are the people shopping for them.

The reactions on a Ford forum I frequent were positive as well once the official photos were posted. That's good news for GM.

Aside from the exterior and some dash shape changes I don't see any reason to choose the Traverse over any of the other 3 Lambdas. I'm sure we'll take a long hard look at all but the Buick and since I like the looks of the other 3 it will come down to price if we choose to switch to GM. It's going to be hard not to buy a SYNC equipped vehicle though. I'm really liking what I see in that regard.

Click here for more info on the Traverse. They also have an interior and exterior gallery with some good pics of both. I can't say I like the grey interior they used though. It makes the hard plastics stand out more or something and makes the interior look somewhat cheap IMO. I'd like to see pics of an all black interior. It's probably pretty sharp.
    I could do without the pods around the speedo and tach, but the interior looks good overall. Thumbs up.

Ford has SYNC, Dodge has MyGig, what is GM working on? :confuse:

To me, that's secondary, though. I'm not shopping for a stereo, I'm shopping for a vehicle. I suppose if you work out of your car (traveling sales) that would matter more, but then I would want something a whole lot more fuel efficient anyway.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Posts: 838
    This looks much better than I thought it would. I had not really been paying attention to the comin Traverse since I had gotten the impression it would not be like the Acadia/Outlook/Enclave...thought I had read it would be more MV like. It will be interesting to see the pricing when that comes around... Outlook at roughly $28K, Acadia $30K and Enclave $32K starting pricing. Their MSRPs seem to be about the equal with the same equipment. I would like one with 'some' comforts and upgrades, but not fully loaded. I might be in the market next year, so I will have time to look around...I really need to see all of them up close and test drive before I could make a choice.... There are a number of 5 passenger SUV/CUVs that I would consider as well. I would like to have the 6-8 passenger vehicle, but since we have a 7 passenger '04 Envoy, I might take that one from the wife and see about getting her a new something, 2 row or 3 row...don't know for sure.

Thanks for the update on the Traverse.
    I agree with you on that vad. Although, I'd still take a CX-9 over any of them.
    Is any reason why? Is it bigger or handles better, or better interior design?
    I don't know how CX-9 can better then Lambdas. Today, I think GM lambdas has adventure over others car models. You can choose from the family of four different design vehicles. There're at same time looks like and other hand they're different.
    The good move by GM.
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    When I was building up the Enclave, there was less content at that price point compared to the other two by far. Most obvious difference would be lack of leather and my newest complaint, no memory setting on the driver's seat. Am I off base? What options did you get at that $$?
  • nxs138nxs138 Posts: 481
    Enclave (43,600)
    Veracruz (43,900)
    CX-9 (45,500)

Ouch, I feel for you guys up there. My wife and I finally made our decision, and we bought the CX-9 GT. Final price after taxes, fees, etc was $35.7k. No major options except for roof rack, Sirius radio, and back-up camera built into the visor.

The Enclave was my wife's next favorite. It's a great car, and it's quieter than the CX-9, but she felt it wasn't responsive enough (I guess that issue will be taken care of with the 2009 models--more HP).
    As strong as the currency is right now, those prices are insane.
  • chuckhoychuckhoy Posts: 420
    If you get one with a sunroof, make sure the drainage hose is connected properly. In the "Problems and Repairs" forum, most of the problems seem to be coming from the sunroof.
    Is any reason why? Is it bigger or handles better, or better interior design?

My opinion of them is all based on styling right now as I've only sat in them and not driven them. If C&D, MT, Edmunds, and a host of other reviews are to be trusted I'm sure I'll like the CX-9 better after I drive all of them too. Having owned a Mazda6 a couple of years ago I became a big fan of Mazda's vehicles too.

I don't think the Lambdas look bad, I just prefer the styling of the CX-9 to any of the 4. Now if a Lambda comes in several thousand dollars less than a comparably equipped CX-9 then I would definitely buy one. I don't see that happening though.
    To me, that's secondary, though. I'm not shopping for a stereo, I'm shopping for a vehicle.

Same here juice. But I've already decided that pretty much all of the choices in this segment are within a hair of each other anyway. That leaves me to choose one based on my secondary criterium. Lease price and value. Even another Explorer or a Mountaineer aren't off our radar yet as they do everything we want them to do.

I can officially rule the Traverse out now though. I sent the photos to the wife and she hated it. She really liked the new Edge Sport though so who knows what we'll be getting. I did ask her to start narrowing down her requirements though so I can start watching for trends in incentives and lease deals.
    FWIW, a while back Subaru had a good lease for the Tribeca. Residuals are good on that one.