Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crossover SUV Comparison

Comments

• larryqwlarryqw Posts: 52
    I'm also a big fan of the Taurus X, and bought a T-X Limited two months ago. I also looked a lot at the Flex but just didn't like the square look of it. My nickname for the Flex is the maxi-mini.

It looks like Ford may continue the T-X for another year into 2009, since the plant is making Taurus Sedans anyway, the production is done, and there's minimal cost in keeping it going, as long as they don't advertise, which they don't. (I can't believe the Divorced Dad commercial. Divorce is about as warm feeling as baby killing. Was Ford trying to kill the sales!? ) Also, Ford may want to keep the T-X around in case the Flex is too radical and doesn't sell. A CYA thing.

In 2010, it looks like the T-X will morph with the Explorer into the Explorer America concept. This is the Explorer moved from a truck Body-on-Frame to the Taurus D32 unibody car-like platform. It will have a lot of the features of the Taurus X in a modern but less boxy look. This may be appealing to those like me who don't like the Flex style.
  • I just got a 08 Ford Taurus X SEL. On occasion when I come to a stop, I get a feeling like the car will not stop. One time I noticed that when my foot was pressing the brake, it had caught the edge of the gas pedal, and I was also pressing the gas at the same time. But now that I have been conscious of not doing that, I still get the feeling like the car doesn't want to slow down when I'm braking. I get a feeling that the car is downshifting or something like that and it seems to lurch forward or that the engine slightly revs up. Is anyone else having this problem?
  • freealfasfreealfas Posts: 652
    my size 13 feet have caught both the gas & brake before. I suspect despite you consciously trying to avoid the situation you still might be doing it occasionally...
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    All it needs is a Union Jack on the roof.

I bet it would look really cool with one, too.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,221
    All it needs is a Union Jack on the roof.

I bet it would look really cool with one, too.

A Jolly Roger would be my choice. :shades:
  • albookalbook Posts: 1,282
    After hearing about this new turbo engine Ford has in the wings (and I have heard other similar stories hear and there from other companies) I'm just wondering why others aren't doing this. Especially GM. They are doing so well right now, I just hope they don't get too caught up in this hybrid hubub, because as various Toyotas prove, hubub is what it is. MPG isn't improved all that much, except in the Prius. Just think, if the lambdas had turbos like this, that model would have waiting lists like the Prius. Just a thought.
  • vad1819vad1819 Posts: 309
    Unbelievable success, even the fuel price are high.
    http://editorial.autos.msn.com/listarticle.aspx?cp-documentid=434652

So I don't know what full size CUV get award, but Acadia is defiantly number one in full size CUV's categories.
    Plus, Lambdas win Motorweek's Drivers Choice Award: Best Crossover, 2nd year in a row.
    http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/dc2008/
    After hearing about this new turbo engine Ford has in the wings (and I have heard other similar stories hear and there from other companies) I'm just wondering why others aren't doing this.

Click here for more info on which Fords will be getting the EcoBoost in the near future. Note that the Flex is one.

MT has been wrong about some things recently though so I'd wait for a second opinion myself. ;)

I just hope they don't get too caught up in this hybrid hubub, because as various Toyotas prove, hubub is what it is.

I agree. They still seem to be pushing E85 hard too. That has always been a mystery to me because it offers no fuel or money savings but now my pizzas cost more because farmers are growing more corn than wheat! OK, that's an oversimplification of the problem but you get the drift. :shades:
    "I agree. They still seem to be pushing E85 hard too. That has always been a mystery to me because it offers no fuel or money savings but now my pizzas cost more because farmers are growing more corn than wheat! OK, that's an oversimplification of the problem but you get the drift."

the lunatic's are running the asylum as they say...

diesel, to a white courtesy phone, diesel please pick up...
    I'm generally pro-diesel but they have to do something about the current prices.

Around me the price differential has crept up to 90 cents per gallon (diesel vs. 87 octane gas). :(

Perhaps that will drop as heating oil demand drops.
    part of the price difference might be due to the fact they can't/don't cut it with ethanol...I don't think(someone correct me if I'm wrong)

the other is to disuade it's popular acceptance...
    Indy truckers are peeved. Let's see what happens, hopefully this is a short-term phenomenon.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    In my neck of the woods, I have yet to see any fuel station that offers E85. Plus, I have heard that E85 costs just as much as gas, and is dreadful in terms of fuel economy. Makes no sense to buy E85, unless you care about being green. I'm all about the environment, however, the green I can about is the green that I can keep in my pocket!
    Now that's my kind of green.

While we're on the subject of spending as little as possible, ALG announced its 2007 Residual Value Awards, and for CUV the winner was the Subaru Tribeca:

https://www.alg.com/default.aspx?sid=29

Subaru gambled on high residuals for their leases, so I guess the strategy paid off.
    In my neck of the woods, I have yet to see any fuel station that offers E85. Plus, I have heard that E85 costs just as much as gas, and is dreadful in terms of fuel economy.

Same here, but I am told that there are 1 or 2 in the greater Pittsburgh area which do carry it. Also same as you, I'm told that it costs more than regular gas and it is widely known that you do lose a few M'sPG by putting it in your tank.

Why would anyone want that? Yet every day I'm behind a big GM or Dodge truck or SUV which has a big shiny E85 badge on it. Ford has at least backed off of that bandwagon for the most part. I think they still sell SUVs and trucks that are capable of running the fuel, but they don't seem to be advertising it anymore through the media or via a badge on the vehicle.
    So here we have the first spy photo of the 2010 North American Ford Taurus.

Yes it looks a lot like the Euro Mondeo only a bit bigger. Since the TX has pretty much been cancelled after MY09 (not officially yet though) imagine what the TX could have been...

(2008 Euro Mondeo wagon prototype)
    Don't take this personally but that first pic is ugly. Reminds me way too much of the Chrysler Sebring.
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    It is hard to tell what it really looks like but I actually like it. Anything (other than the original Tribeca) is better than the boring Ford same old, same old.
  • albookalbook Posts: 1,282
    Congrats! You found a way to tie something totally irrelevant to the topic in. No- I'm not being sarcastic. I wanted to put that picture here earlier today but couldn't figure out how to do it without being totally awkward and out of place.

Looking at the concept- I'm not so sure. Don't get me wrong, it's leaps and bounds over the current Taurus is terms of looks. Bit it looks as if they are still trying to get that elevated stance, as it looks to tall. I was hoping for something a little more broad shouldered and sporty-not totally 300C/G8, but from what I see, I'd rather have a Camry. Ford better not screw up again. As for what the Wagon, forget what the Taurus could have been. How about what the upcoming Flex should be?
    Well, official pictures are out of the 09 Pilot, and I must say, it is just ugly. The interior is so "rubber maid" looking, and very complex. Edmunds also seems to think it will be getting Hondas new 3.5L w/ VCM like in the 08 Accord. Since chatter in the Accord threads seem to indicate that the VCM system has many flaws ranging from unimpressive fuel economy, un smooth transition from cylinder to cylinder, shutters, and basically overall unrefinement. Honda is telling these unhappy owners that the system is operating properly. What does this mean to you? Expect there to be a Pilot VCM Problem thread frequently visited.
    Don't take this personally but that first pic is ugly.

Don't worry juice, I won't. I know you are the one who likes Subarus. :P
    I was hoping for something a little more broad shouldered and sporty-not totally 300C/G8,

Remember that this is the Taurus which will still primarily compete with the Avalon and this to me blows the Avalon away. The Fusion will still be your Camry/Accord competitor.

I think the big question is what that coupe in the background is? Some say maybe an MKS coupe to compete with the new Caddy CTS coupe. Others say maybe it's the MKR. And some are even saying it could be the next T-Bird which is rumored for 2012. Although the latter is supposedly going to be a 4-door.
    I agree. It is awful. I actually thought the prototype was ugly but now I think it might actually have been better looking. :sick: I sure hope my wife doesn't pick this monstrosity for our next family hauler.

Get out the manual for that center stack. You're going to need it!
    "I sure hope my wife doesn't pick this monstrosity for our next family hauler"

Veto that every day of the week and twice on sunday... honda has gone rudderless with this one yet people will flock... it just doesn't make any sense.

the vows usually say in sickness and in health, they say nothing about about being forced to buy cars you can't stand... I even read the fine print, we're all in the clear on that one...
    Mama-mia. I hope she has a good personality.

The profile is actually OK, very Jeep-like. The wheels look WAY too small though.

The rear view looks OK. The dual exhaust is an improvement.

That center stack has too many buttons. I swear Honda is going backwards in ergonomics, it seems to me each new model is a little less intuitive then the one it replaces. Did they peak a generation ago in that regard, or what?
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,977
    I like how it looks - I was worried after seeing the prototype.

The wheels look WAY too small though.

Personally for those of us in snow country, big wheels aren't the most important thing. Further, lots of folks I'm sure are getting little heart attacks when they go to replace those 20" tires!!
    Well, there are positives and negatives for large and small tires. First off, those little tires are a weakness for dry pavement driving. Crappy handling and offers a small contact patch to the pavement. They are an advantage in the snow, but, unless it snows more then 50% of the year where you are, then you are at a disadvantage most of the year when driving when compared to a CUV with 18 or 20 inch tires. Plus, those little wheels are an eye sore.

Why spend $35,000 on a CUV that is most useful for only part of the year, when you can spend the same amount on a vehicle that offers you better driving for the majority of the year? Your money is better spent on the latter of the two. I'm sure you will now bring up snow driving. There has yet to be anyone stranded in the snow because of the 18 or 20 inch wheels. They just don't track as well in the snow, but, you can still get to where you are going, safely.
    the vows usually say in sickness and in health, they say nothing about about being forced to buy cars you can't stand... I even read the fine print, we're all in the clear on that one...

Well having to look at that thing in the garage every day just might make me sick! :surprise:
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,977
    They are an advantage in the snow, but, unless it snows more then 50% of the year where you are, then you are at a disadvantage most of the year when driving when compared to a CUV with 18 or 20 inch tires. Plus, those little wheels are an eye sore.

I will agree that larger tires look better and that they handle better in most cases. But I'm not driving at 9/10ths on the road and really don't need a high performance tire on a CUV. Besides, the replacement cost can get ridiculous.

I'm sure you will now bring up snow driving.

Yes I will. I run dedicated snows in the winter so the OEM tires aren't an issue for me in the winter - it's the 99% of drivers out there on that high performance rubber that scare me.

The other issue is that getting snows to fit the large OEM rims is rather expensive and finding steel wheels in reasonable sizes that fit are impossible. If you go to tirerack in the fall and try finding a snow combo for vehicles with 18"+ tires, one can't even get a steel wheel to fit it - even with -1 or -2 sizing. One must buy another set of alloys.
    The profile is actually OK, very Jeep-like.

I don't see the Jeep but I do see a lot of Pathfinder in the profile and rear. Those two views aren't all that bad. Boring yes, but not bad. That face is just terrible though and has no business being on a squared off SUV. That face belongs on a Dodge Neon or something so we can watch "Say Hello" commercials again.