Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crossover SUV Comparison

Comments

• jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    edited April 2010
    Hi folks. Haven't posted at Edmunds in quite a while, but... what better place to get specific answers when you need 'em. :shades:

Considering purchasing a used vehicle larger than our '06 Outback. Top contender right now is 2007 Pilot, also thinking of checking out an '08 Taurus X. If we install 2 LATCH carseats in the 2nd row outboard positions, can these vehicles' 3rd row be accessed by kid-sized humans? (The Taurus X would have a 2nd row bench seat, BTW, not 2 buckets.)
  • larryqwlarryqw Posts: 52
    I have a 2008 Taurus X with second row buckets and a center console. To get in the back, you really need to put down the seats, so you need to remove any child carseats temporarily.

On the other hand, my little ones are so spry, they often just hip-hop over the rear seat back anyway. It depends on your kids.
    Thank you, good sir! While my 3rd-row passenger would be spry enough, there's no way my wife would let his normal approach be over the 2nd row. :)

A used Taurus X seems like a particularly good value, with a 2-year-old Limited AWD nearly 1/3 off of new. Drat. I wonder how well the 2nd row would handle 2 carseats & a booster.

I'll wait to hear from anyone else on an '07 Pilot.

I'd look at a minivan, but I want something AWD with a bit of ground clearance, and don't want to drive a massive SUV. My thinking is that for normal travel we'd have 2 carseats in the 2nd row and the booster in the 3rd, but for trips where we need the cargo room we'd move the booster up to the 2nd row center position to allow us to pack everybody's gear. (I need a crossover with a sliding door to access the last row!)
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    The only swing door vehicles which allow 3rd row access with outboard child seats are the ones with 2nd row captain's and a centre gap to cross. Otherwise, sliding door minivan.
    edited April 2010
    Thanks, volkov. If I do the captain's chairs, though, my 3rd row passenger takes up too much cargo space for trips, so that's just not an option.

It's looking like I may have to settle for 3 kids across the 2nd row all the time, rather than just for trips. Though I suppose with Pilot I could also put car seats in the 60% portion of the 2nd row, leaving the 40% portion available to fold & allow access the 3rd row. I assume the bench-seat-option Taurus X would allow the same then. Hmm... I wonder if their LATCH anchors would accommodate 2 car seats in the 60% portion of the 2nd row... anyone know? :confuse:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The Sienna offers AWD and comes with about an extra inch of so of clearance vs. other vans.

That may not be enough, but I thought I'd mention that.
    Thanks juice -
    I considered Sienna and, if I went the minivan route, it'd probably be the one I choose though I favor Odyssey's looks & handling. I've tested the limits of my Outback's ground clearance and think the Sienna would still be too low for what I want to do. The high price of the AWD version and the run-flat tires are also big negatives. I'd have to keep a spare tire in the cargo area in case I damaged a tire on a Forest Service or logging road... certainly don't want to be stuck in the middle of the woods with the kiddos in tow.
    Yep, sounds like you need a lot more than just an extra inch.
  • I had a freestyle which is the same as the Taurus X. It is impossible to put two carseats or a carseat and booster in the second row 60 part. There isn't enough seat space and if you happened to get them in, they would be so crammed that you would not be able to raise or lower the 40 seat. I suggest putting one car seat in the 40 part and the other two in the back. Leave the 60 side open all the time which is on the driver side to get in and out easily. You might have to put luggage on top of the car or on the floors under the kids feet. The car really needs to be a couple inches wider. The GMC Acadia seems to have a little more space.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,373
    I'm going off of memory here, but I think the Sienna AWD has more ground clearance than the Taurus X.
    Thanks for the suggestions, Sharon. We've found a compact and well-rated carseat called the Radian from Sunshine Kids, which has been necessary in the cozy confines of our Outback's back seat. It takes up considerably less space than a typical Graco or Britax. On the off chance it'd work on the 60% side, I'll probably still check it out. I wouldn't want to put one of the car seats out of reach in the third row (but the older child in the booster would be OK there)

How did you like the Freestyle otherwise (taking into consideration that Taurus X has a different engine and transmission)?
    The specs I've found show Taurus X and Pilot with 8" and AWD Sienna with 6.9". Both Pilot and Taurus X have .4" less than my Outback (incredibly) but that puts a Sienna at 1.5" lower than the Outback, which just won't cut it.
    Maybe I'm confusing it with the Flex, or the Freestyle. Before I bought my Pilot, I looked at the T-Rex and the clearance seemed lower, but clearly it isn't. Must be the lower roof clouding my brain.

How about a Sienna with a lift kit? :P
    I once found my Taurus X was listed with only 6.5" onf clearance. So I went around under my 2008 Taurus X FWD with a ruler. (Yes, I'm an engineer. How'd you guess?)

The Taurus X has about 8" or more clearance everywhere except right under the engine , where the larger engine on the T-X has a manifold that sticks down a little lower right in the front middle of the car under the engine. There, the clearance is maybe under 7". I suspect it could go lower with a full load.

When riding over big (~6") rocks with a full load of 4 of mountain bikers and all our camping gear and bikes at Moab, Utah, and Goosbery Nevada, we were just careful to go over the rocks slightly off the center of the car and did fine.
    Sure that's not a cross member?

The issue being it could still cause you to high-center in deep snow/ice.
    Ooooo... a monster van! :D

Pilot needs some bigger wheels to help the clearance... it's got 16s but both the Taurus X & Outback both have 18-inchers. I wonder if I could upsize the wheels 1-2" comfortably on Pilot? Certainly seems like enough clearance in the wells, but I don't know much about that.

I don't even want to ask the MPG, though! :D
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I believe it'd be GPM! :)
    Sure looks cool, though. All it needs is a better paint job.
    Wheel size doesn't matter when it comes to clearance; its overall wheel/tire circumference. Unless you stick with a 70 series sidewall like the stock 16 tire, going to a 17 or 18 won't get you anywhere. The 2010 Pilot comes with 17's now, but still has the same 8" of clearance of the 08...because it has a 65-series tire instead of the old 70. OTOH, a 75 series tire with those 16" wheels will give you some more clearance...and its probably cheaper too.

In any case, remember that increasing the overall circumference makes your speedometer inaccurate.
    when its comes to 4WD vans, prepare to drool at a Sportsmobile.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,184
    edited April 2010
    I don't know if it was a Sportsmobile or a Quigley conversion or something else, but I saw something similar last week tooling around town.

May have just been a jacked up van, but it sure looked like a 4x4 setup.

A pop-up roof that you don't have to remove the canoes or kayaks from first is pretty amazing.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

A pop-up roof that you don't have to remove the canoes or kayaks from first is pretty amazing.

Bah, nothing a 37 lb kevlar Wenonah Voyager can't fix... :blush:
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,184
    edited April 2010
    Funny you should say that. I just swapped a Wenonah Rogue ABS today for a Mad River Explorer kevlar (~54 pounds). It needs some gunwale sanding but when I was able to toss it on my shoulders, it was a deal. First canoe ever that I've tied down in the yard. :)

But I've never seen a popup van top, popped with boats on top before.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

The low point is right under the rear of the engine. I don't remember if it's actually the manifold or a cross beam support, but it's right there. It's raining right now, so I don't want to crawl under to check right now.

For sure, while riding the tracks in snow, the high point of the snow is also right there in the middle between the wheels, making it a lousy spot for low clearance. In California though, I worry more about rocks on rough roads.
    Yeah, I realized I'd have to change the tire as well as the wheel. I was thinking 17" 70s or 75s; the 16s look kinda dinky, but going with 75s on them is still interesting to consider, especially from a budget standpoint. I also don't want to make the handling too much worse with a higher sidewall, though... but something's gotta give, eh? :)

Hard to trade Outback's best-of-both-worlds attributes (car-like performance AND better capability than many SUVs), but I just need the space. As someone who enjoys twisty driving, the trade-off makes me feel... :sick:

But getting to the places I want to go with the whole family will make me feel good, too. :shades:
    OK, as over-the-top as that Sportsmobile seems, I have to admit I drooled.
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    >"The specs I've found show Taurus X and Pilot with 8" and AWD Sienna with 6.9". Both Pilot and Taurus X have .4" less than my Outback....."

Need to determine how and where the manufacturers measure that clearance.
    Example: Is it measured from the lowest point of anything hanging under the vehicle (such as a brace or protective plate, or muffler), the distance to any of the drive components (such as axles), or to the floor pan?

In the overall scheme of things, 4/10ths of an inch doesn't seem like a real big deal to me. Especially with a "street" vehicle. For an "Off Roader" we get more concerned with inches rather than 10ths of an inch.

Kip
  • loachloach Posts: 246
    Have you considered the 2010 Outback? I realize it doesn't have 3rd row but it's definitely roomier than the previous generation. I test drove one and was impressed with the ride. I also realize if you're looking to buy used it might be tough to find a used 2010.
    I agree - they're huge now. I'm sure Jeff is already familiar with them, though.

The new Outback competes with the Venza and Crosstour.