Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crossover SUV Comparison

1231232233234235237»

Comments

• ha! I'll get right on that. The Forester is definitely top on my list but it sits lower like a sedan. Oh well. I'm short and hate when most of the hood is taking up my line of sight.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,542
    The "upright" seating position is one reason why I like minivans. Even those guys are less boxy these days though.

The Kia Soul is another one I've considered.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• fushigifushigi Posts: 1,248
    Agreed on the upright seating position. I think that'll keep me in crossover land v. going back to a sedan. But my reason is medical. My right knee is a little bad. When using cruise control in a crossover I can comfortably set my foot flat on the floorboard while retaining some thigh support. In a sedan I can't so I wind up "crossing" my right leg to the left & resting it on the side of my foot. That creates a torque on my knee that distresses the joint. (And yeah I've gone through PT; it just isn't going to get better)

I'll freely admit the seats in my wife's Elantra are way better/less fatiguing for long haul cruising than those in my Outlander. But the Outlander wins if there's any decent chance of using cruise control.
  • Check out a certified pre-owned 2012 Escape. They still look like SUVs, were rock solid because the design had been around awhile, and had friendly driving dynamics like Hondas do.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    edited September 2013
    Yes, glad the 2014 Forester stayed relatively boxy. It has low center-of-gravity for good handling, due partly to the boxer engine design, but actually has best-in-class ground clearance of 8.7"! A height-adjustable driver's seat is standard on every single trim level, so that should alleviate any feeling of peering over a high dash & hood. (I'm not particularly tall, and have the exact same peeve about many cars, but found the new Forester to be great in this regard when I test drove an XT trim. The great visibility all around helps, too.) With the best AWD, fuel economy, safety & reliability, exceptional rear seat room & overall utility, all at a great price, the redesigned Forester seems like a "best pick" to me. :) It drives nicely, too.
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    Well, I finally got the go ahead from the boss (wife) to look at potential upgrades from my current ride (2006 Honda Pilot EX-OR - named "The Beast") and I've started my comparison list.

The rules that have been set forth to me by the boss are as follows...
    1. Must stay with a V6.
    2. Must have 3rd Row Seating
    3. Must have Towing package higher than 3500lbs and Roof carrying capable.
    4. Must stay under $40k

I know I'm only going to get between $8k - $10k as a trade-in or private sale so that also will go into the new vehicle. I will try for 2014's, but will go for a left-over 2013 if the deal is good enough.

My list stands currently at (in no particular order)....

1. Toyota 4Runner SR5
    2. Honda Pilot EX
    3. Dodge Durango SXT or Rallye
    4. Nissan Pathfinder
    5. GMC Acadia SLE or SLT
    6. Ford Explorer XLT

I was going to go with the Highlander over the 4Runner, but I like the looks of the 4 better with the 2014 refresh and mileage is silimar. Only the Explorer and Pathfinder seem to roll more towards the Car look of a SUV than the others. I haven't seen anything on the possible Pilot refresh for '14, but have been told the redesign is slated for '15 with the full rebuild of the Ridgeline. I have not tried any of these on for size yet and will keep everyone updated with my progress. If nothing is done before the end of the year, then the major cross-comapre will be done at the Philly Auto Show in Feb.

Odie

If any of you have got any of these models in the 2013, then let me know your likes / dislikes and if you compared to any of the others on this list.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,387
    add the new Santa Fe (the big version) to the list. Meets all your criteria. and has enough towing.

Hyundai rates the Santa Fe's towing capacity at 5000 pounds.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1303_2013_hyundai_santa_fe_first_drive/- #ixzz2dypRgtDG

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

I'll have to look at that one too. The Nissan and Hyundai dealer are same place near me.

Odie
    I'm also adding the Ford Flex onto the list with the new engine / towing package ups it to 5,000lbs. from 3,500lbs.

Odie
  • apowapow Posts: 6
    Do not buy an Acadia or an Outlook (the Outlook is still out there in used lots). Just read about all the transmission issues:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f171273/2

The acadia is the same vehicle, so stay away from that one, too. Perhaps GM has fixed the defective transmission with current models...not sure. I can tell you the 2007 Outlook is junk. The transmission breaks anywhere between 60,000-80,000 miles and although GM knows about the defect, they won't issue a recall or offer to help pay for repairs. It's a known defect.
    yeah, that one is at the bottom of the list anyway. (in no order) Top 3 on the list are the Pilot, 4Runner, & Pathfinder. Middle 3 are the Durango, Santa Fe, and Highlander. Bottom 3 are the Acadia, Exploder, and Flex.

One of my co-workers has a Borrego from Kia, but I do not believe they make it any longer. Looks nice though.

Odie
  • rtmtvxrtmtvx Posts: 2
    I test drove the 2014 Forester Premium, 2013 Rav4 XLE, 2014 Escape SE 4WD, 2014 Escape Titanium 4WD, and the 2014 Mazda CX5.

I drive through highly congested areas so visibility is important to me. The Forester had the best visibility followed by the Escape, the CX5, and then the Rav4. I didn't like the visibility of the Rav4, and the CX5. I felt that the best engine and handling was the Escape Titanium, Rav4, Mazda CX5, Escape SE, then the Forester.

The Forester had about the same power as the Escape SE but when I went down a hill to a stop sign, the downshift while slowing down was quite noticeable. I preferred the larger display for the backup camera on the Escape than the Forester. I am waiting to test drive a CRV.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    How did pricing compare, for what you drove?
    I got to test drive a Flex that my neighbor has and it was really nice, very roomy, and surprisingly quiet. It might have moved up the list from the bottom. Will see. I'm kicking myself right now though for passing up a earthshattering / dinosaur extinction type of deal.

I had to pass up a brand new $38,500 loaded 2013 4Runner (no leather or nav) that I could have gotten at $22,010 after trade, Work employee discount, and special one-time rebate. My wife we "Need" to wait till late spring. I'm good at finding deal, but don't think I will ever come across that good of one again.

Odie
    Timing is everything.

A kid I coach in hoops has a Flex, he calls it their "Range Rover". Funny.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 796
    I bought a 2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring last November and I love it. I drove the Acadia, Pilot, MDX and Highlander before making a purchase decision. The MDX was the only other vehicle I liked, but I liked the CX-9 just as much. Since 2013 models were already out, the incentives on the 2012 CX-9 were amazing. It stickered for $38,315 and I bought it for $29,706 plus $66 tag/title fee and Sales Tax!

The one vehicle that I didn't consider at the time was the new 2013 Dodge Durango. I have driven a few as rentals since then and I would happily own a Durango as well.
  • rtmtvxrtmtvx Posts: 2
    I didn't spend the time in the negotiation. I had some notes on the sticker prices, but I misplaced them. These are in Washington state, with the destination fee, without tax and license, from what I can recall.

Mazda CX-5, Touring AWD, with a couple options and destination fee, around $28K.

Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium CVT, with all weather package and one of the popular packages, destination fee, around $27.5 K.

Toyota Rav4 XLE, navigation, no leather, around $29 K.

Ford Escape Titanium 4WD, over $33K. I didn't pay attention to the options. I was looking for a price without tax and licence for under $30K.

Ford Escape SE 4WD, over $31K. Most of the cars were loaded. I've owned a Ford vehicle before and I felt that it was overpriced.
    Me too, more than one. Ford builds incentives in to their prices.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,908
    Every manufacturer has incentives, there are just different flavors of them and they are all built into the MSRP.
    not all....
    As it was explained to me as to why the 4Runner did not. SM said the vehicle is not a High Move Item. They may only get 2-4 on the lot at any given time and are not pressured to move them, unlike a Highlander where they get 40+ of them. Since they get so many they have to give rebates / incentive to get them moving.

Kinda makes sense in a way.

Odie