Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crossover SUV Comparison

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    No idea, but it was a selling point for us. Even without the extra power. It's only something like $200 extra, definitely worth it.

PZEV models also carry a longer emissions warranty in 8 or 10 states that require them, so hopefully that equipment is more durable as well.
  • vad1819vad1819 Posts: 309
    "Check out the article here: The Frugal Five. "

But fuel economy it's not really great. The 20 MPG in city is most driving people do, so in real world it will be 18-19 MPG. Where at same time my Acadia get me in city and in traffic 85% about 17-18 mpg. So where is benefit to buy small SUV?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    The 20 MPG in city is most driving people do, so in real world it will be 18-19 MPG. Where at same time my Acadia get me in city and in traffic 85% about 17-18 mpg. So where is benefit to buy small SUV?

I'm not sure how you can say that people "real-world" will get lower that EPA in these small CUVs but you in the real-world get better than EPA.

If you get over EPA estimates in your Acadia, you likely would in a small CUV as well.

What world are you living in? Haha. :)
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    I'm not sure how you can say that people "real-world" will get lower that EPA in these small CUVs but you in the real-world get better than EPA.

You know better than that now grad! Everyone now knows, thanks to one or two owners on this thread, that the Lamdas can drive on (not in) water therefore they can get better fuel mileage due to the decrease in rolling friction the water provides.

Haven't you read the Bible? :P
  • stmssstmss Posts: 206
    I just did a 1500 km weekend trip with the family - 3 kids. I have a Freestyle and Saab 9-5 - guess which one I took? And I paid $1.43/litre for gas ($5.41/usgal) - . I could have taken my Volvo which gets better mileage than both.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    So where is benefit to buy small SUV?

How about purchase price? You'll save thousands buying the smaller SUVs and that will buy a lot of gas ;)
    How about purchase price? You'll save thousands buying the smaller SUVs and that will buy a lot of gas

And if you only need the cargo capacity you can buy or rent a small covered trailer for a lot less than the price difference between the large and small SUV/CUV. Some of the small CUVs tow just as much as some of the large ones.
    The average small CUV will haul 2.3 kids and luggage for the weekend trip to the beach without the need for a trailer. To some, the $35,000 CUV is a joke, when a $25,000 is plenty.

College fund, anyone? :)
    What world am I living? Real one. I want to see someone load the small SUV with 3 kids and go to the beach. The only one cooler will take all space behind second row.
    The better alternative to small/big SUV are VW passat wagon, volvo wagon, BMW 5 series (expensive!), Saab wagon, benz wagon (expensive!), audi A6 wagon, Mazda 5 and ect.
    The most of those cars have better MPG then any (not hybrid) small SUV, and more or equal cargo space behind second row.
    What world am I living? Real one. I want to see someone load the small SUV with 3 kids and go to the beach. The only one cooler will take all space behind second row.

You've got a cooler that would take over 30 cu. ft. of space? :P ;)

This car isn't enough for 4 people and a weekend's worth of luggage? That's sort of funny, because we've been traveling to the gulf coast as long as I've been alive, with my grandmother in the car as well. We used to go in our 4-door compact sedan, which offered about 1/3rd the cargo space of the CR-V. We didn't carry a cooler, but 4 person's luggage plus a cooler wouldn't be a problem in any small CUV.

The better alternative to small/big SUV are VW passat wagon, volvo wagon, BMW 5 series (expensive!), Saab wagon, benz wagon (expensive!), audi A6 wagon, Mazda 5 and ect.

Then why do you drive a big CUV if the better alternative is a wagon? It doesn't matter, as it isn't really on topic anyway.

HOST, while this topic is up, can we rotate some of the smaller alternatives onto the "Learn More" section? Vehicles such as the RAV4, Forrester, Rogue, and Vue... among others?
    I want to see someone load the small SUV with 3 kids and go to the beach.

My wife's sister and her husband have been taking their 3 little girls to the beach (the closest probably being Ocean City MD which is 6 hours away and the farthest they've gone is the OBX in NC which is about an 11 hour drive) every year, sometimes twice, in their 2001 Honda CR-V. They squeeze the girls in row 2 with some food, drink, and an old VCR/TV at their feet and the rest of their beach gear goes in the back. Most of the time what they can't fit inside goes in a soft waterproof roof carrier.

I don't understand why they do it and I know that I would never ever do it myself. But they do do it and it can be done in relative comfort. That being said, they are purchasing a used minivan this month because the girls are getting older and now their friends want to go places with them too. That's the one thing that small SUV of theirs cannot do no matter what. Only 5 seat belts, so only 5 people can ride along.

We dumped our small SUV after kid #2 because we felt it was too small for the 4 of us. I'd imagine most people do the same thing and my in-laws are an exception to the rule.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,971
    can we rotate

Sure - but the Vue was already in the list. :shades:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• scott613scott613 Posts: 14
    What is your average speed per your DIC?
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    New Forester and OB could be included in that list, with AWD and very good cargo and passenger room. I'd take the back seat of the new Forester over the A6 I suffered in for an afternoon. Driver's seat? No question, I'd take the A6 over the cloth Forester (only model available to test drive here) though.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,971
    We only get 9 categories so we put the Forester in there. One per manufacturer seems fair enough.

Or we could remove the Forester and Outlander entirely in view of the ... shall we say, vigorous posting the last few weeks in that comparison topic. It's even bled over to the AWD/4WD board. :P

Maybe we'll switch out the CR-V for the Santa Fe since it's not getting much mention. And no one is shopping the Journey with the gas card?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Oops. I was in a hurry when I wrote it. :)
    What is your average speed per your DIC?

From home to work and back about 30 mph. I'm only 11 miles away from my office, but I have very heavy traffic in morning. The half way speed limit 35 and other half 55 mph, but that the last half traffic is moving 5-20 mph with the traffic lights also.
    So the winter time was about 16 mpg, but now about 18 mpg . So it's not bad for 5000 lbs truck. I'm happy, so many people bought it.
    You're right in that if your small SUV doesn't work, then a minvan will give you the most interior space. If I had 3 kids that's what I'd drive anyway.

On the other hand, if it's only one or two long trips per year, then you could just rent a minivan for those one or two trips and keep the current smaller vehicle for the rest of the year. To me it seems silly to buy $10,000 more vehicle than you need in a vehicle that gets poor MPG just to be a little more comfortable the one or two times a year when you need the capability. Just rent for those one or two times. You'll save both money and excessive miles on your vehicle.
    I don't know if they count, but if you don't need AWD, the Mazda 5 and Kia Rondo both offer decent MPG, low price, a good amount of cargo space behind the 2nd row and both come with a 3rd row.
    When I was on cross road to buy van or car capable to care more then 5 people, I thought first to buy van, then after having in rent for couple days turn it down this idea. So the Acadia was good choice none-van car, because i can alternate the cars everyday driving. I'm not going to drive the van to work. The van is 100% wifes/moms car. But I reminded everyone here, it's just my opinion, so don't ........me