Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crossover SUV Comparison

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    It's hard to ignore that styling. It looks like a pregnant Accord. Plus, the AWD model starts at $34,730 (EX-L), which is steep.

An H6 Outback Ltd runs about $3k less, at $31.7k. It's a tad smaller, but probably the best value of the 3.

As usual, Toyota gives you 1,000 a-la-carte optinos. Venza V6 AWD, add Comfort Package for heated leather seats and EJ sound for 6CD/Bluetooth, then SR for the sunroof, and you get $34,240. IMHO it's the best looking of the bunch. Haven't driven it yet but I've heard the huge wheels give it a brittle ride, odd for a Toyota.
  • Funny you should mention the Venza. There is a review and story over on msnbc.com that is somewhat less than flattering about the Venza and Toyota in general.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33605151/ns/business-autos/

In short, here is what they have to say about the Venza:

Pros: Comfortable ride, superlative fuel economy for its size, the brand name that makes grizzled baby boomers behave like irrational adolescents

Cons: Insultingly cheap interior, lousy steering, useless automatic headlights

Verdict: Toyota is off its game and needs to refocus on giving customers more than they expect rather than thinking they won’t notice that they are being shortchanged.

:(
    That's very significant - it means Toyota cut their advertising budget on MSNBC. :D

Just kidding. ;)

I was under the impression that the ride was not good. Maybe they tested a model with smaller rims?

Also, the interior looks fine to me. It has a padded dash and far better materials than what you'd find in, for instance, the RAV4. Maybe they have much higher expectations in that price range?

I'm not surprised about the steering - my Sienna is number than my Wii-mote. The weight is right, but there is zero feedback.

Also, I do think that the mere volume of production Toyota has can make quality control suffer.

I thought that review was pretty harsh. And how old is that article? He compares it to Pacifica and Taurus X. Venza doesn't even offer a 3rd row.

CR gave it a pretty good score overall, but the Outback scored higher (even though they tested the 4 cylinder OB).
  • >> The OP asked about the Forester and the Santa Fe, I don't know how we got on the Outlander. My response was on topic.

My response was on topic too. Post 7060: user yvr1 posted:
    "...Forester is the best of the bunch when it comes to compact SUV's... Can anyone persuade me otherwise?"

So I responded:
    "That’s easy. The 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander GT is a much better crossover then Forester... " then I listed my points why.
    Let's move on...I already have.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,252
    Anyone heard reviews on these updated models. Will definitely visit the showrooms when they debut.
    http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr111809.html

Midsize SUVs
    Dodge Journey
    Subaru Tribeca
    Volvo XC60
    Volvo XC90

Small SUVs
    Honda Element
    Jeep Patriot with optional side torso airbags
    Subaru Forester
    Volkswagen Tiguan

The list shrunk substantially because this year they added the roof strength test as a requirement to make it.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Interesting that the Element (an old design by this segment's standards) gets a top-pick while the CR-V does not.
    I noticed that, too. 2 comments:

* Element has upright pillars, which may have helped.

* Honda said early on that they would seriously reinforce the A- and C-pillars since there is no B-pillar.
    Top IIHS safety picks:

SMALL SUVs

Honda Element
    Jeep Patriot - with optional side torso airbags
    Subaru Forester
    Volkswagen Tiguan

It's in alphabetical order. This does not mean the Element won, in fact the Forester's 4.64 strength-to-weight ratio actually beat the Element in the new-for-2010 roof strength test.

Not that it matters, both Element and Forester are Top Safety Picks, and extremely safe choices.

Forester has other best-in-class claims but you'll ignore them anyway so I won't bother listing them.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,367
    Can't we start a Mitsubishi vs. Subaru thread somewhere? We've all seen too many other threads get saddled down with this very argument.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,016
    We'll move some more posts over to the Mitsubishi Outlander vs. Subaru Forester discussion.

And people in there have been put on notice that all the niggling details are of little interest to most readers. Cabin fever perhaps?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Those niggling detail posts served as an outlet for my OCD. Now what am I going to do. Thanks a lot Steve. :cry:
    You'd probably enjoy 4WD & AWD systems explained then. :shades:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Thanks for the tip -- checked it out and after 5 minutes, I don't need my meds anymore. Prais-ed be !!! :)
    lol, can you mail them to me? :D

Planning on putting them up for auction on ebay tommorrow --- free shipping in original container.. Paypal only. No reserve so keep an eye out. Need to do something to supplement my pension. :P
    Bummer - PayPal is one of the reasons I'm on meds!

Ok, how 'bout some crossover news?

Deal of the Week: 2010 Infiniti QX56

Or maybe you'd like to dream about one we don't get in the US:

Inside Line (In the rest of the pics it looks more like the compact car it really is).

This is more like it - but it's another one we don't get in the States:

2011 Mitsubishi RVR

The big infinity's and nissan armada just don't look balanced to me. I really like the pathfinder awd with leather etc. Plenty of room and it just looks right.