Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crossover SUV Comparison

Comments

• kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    edited March 2010
    They are definitely different types of vehicles.

The depreciation is indeed something to consider. Especially if you trade/buy often. However financing differences, payment differences just might offset the/any depreciation differences.

I personally like the looks of the Santa Fe. It looks to be a lot more expensive than it is. The Crosstour is somewhat "different" looking, but beginning to grow on me.
    FWIW: I didn't care for the "LOOKS" of the Honda Ridgeline when it first emerged. But now I own one!

Could be mistaken , but I'm thinking the Santa Fe 10 year 100K mile warranty is on the drive train only and the bumper to bumper might be the same as most other vehicles at 3 year and 36K miles. Honda is 5 year and 60K miles in the drive train. and 3/36K bumper to bumper. Please correct me, if I'm wrong on that.

That 10/10 warranty is a good thing for sure and important IF we keep a car that long.

With our '03 Pilot and '03 CR-V, the little things like sensors, various electronics and modules, window motors, AC controls and compressors, shocks, switches, and such were problems. Especially after the 36/36 ran out. While the mechanical parts of the drive train itself, were flawless. So, for us, the bumper to bumper Extended Warranty payed for itself on both vehicles.

Before purchasing, you might want to spend some time driving both and really paying attention to the feel of the seats, ease of entry and exit, road noise at highway speeds, ride and handling, various controls, space we may or may not really need, sitting position in both height and in relationship to the steering wheel and pedals.

While the outside "Looks" of our vehicle is important to us, we have to "LIVE" with the inside. Depreciation can be a concern if we trade often. But we might not trade as often if we test and consider a vehicle like we are going to be stuck with it for 10 years. ;)

Good luck.
    Kip
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    The Hyundai warranty is 10yr/100k on the drivetrain and 5yr/60k bumper to bumper. ;)
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    >The Hyundai warranty is 10yr/100k on the drivetrain and 5yr/60k bumper to bumper." ;)

WOW! Definitely better than the Honda Bumper to Bumper.

Thanks,
    Kip
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'm a bit surprised by your choices, but I've made far more bizarre comparisons (BMW 3 series sedan vs. buying a beach condo).

Crosstour is more of a competitor to the Toyota Venza and Subaru Outback, so you may want to consider those as well. If you overlook the styling, what bothers me about the Crosstour is that is only has 31" of width between the wheel wells in the cargo area, very narrow. The Outback is a whole foot wider there. Honda compromised utility for style, and I'm not a fan of the style.

Santa Fe got some nice powertrain upgrades, but the design itself is a bit dated. You may want to check out the new Kia Sorento instead, it's cousin.

Good luck and have fun shopping.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,367
    but I've made far more bizarre comparisons (BMW 3 series sedan vs. buying a beach condo).

Hmm. Tough call.

Was the beach condo FWD? :)
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,232
    You mean did it have Floors, Windows, and Doors? :P

I'd want ABS - A Beach Scene.
    It had much more interior space, but top speed is the earth's rotation. :D
  • ergsumergsum Posts: 144
    edited March 2010
    Plus the earth's orbit around the sun, plus the sun's orbit in the galaxy, plus the galaxy's movement in the universe:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-fast-is-the-earth-mov&topic- - ID=2

We appear to be hauling some serious butt!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    plus the galaxy's movement in the universe

On the other hand, if you're the center of the Universe, then you're not moving at all! :P

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • ergsumergsum Posts: 144
    Why thank you for recognizing that fact ;)
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    edited April 2010
    Hi folks. Haven't posted at Edmunds in quite a while, but... what better place to get specific answers when you need 'em. :shades:

Considering purchasing a used vehicle larger than our '06 Outback. Top contender right now is 2007 Pilot, also thinking of checking out an '08 Taurus X. If we install 2 LATCH carseats in the 2nd row outboard positions, can these vehicles' 3rd row be accessed by kid-sized humans? (The Taurus X would have a 2nd row bench seat, BTW, not 2 buckets.)
  • larryqwlarryqw Posts: 52
    I have a 2008 Taurus X with second row buckets and a center console. To get in the back, you really need to put down the seats, so you need to remove any child carseats temporarily.

On the other hand, my little ones are so spry, they often just hip-hop over the rear seat back anyway. It depends on your kids.
    Thank you, good sir! While my 3rd-row passenger would be spry enough, there's no way my wife would let his normal approach be over the 2nd row. :)

A used Taurus X seems like a particularly good value, with a 2-year-old Limited AWD nearly 1/3 off of new. Drat. I wonder how well the 2nd row would handle 2 carseats & a booster.

I'll wait to hear from anyone else on an '07 Pilot.

I'd look at a minivan, but I want something AWD with a bit of ground clearance, and don't want to drive a massive SUV. My thinking is that for normal travel we'd have 2 carseats in the 2nd row and the booster in the 3rd, but for trips where we need the cargo room we'd move the booster up to the 2nd row center position to allow us to pack everybody's gear. (I need a crossover with a sliding door to access the last row!)
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    The only swing door vehicles which allow 3rd row access with outboard child seats are the ones with 2nd row captain's and a centre gap to cross. Otherwise, sliding door minivan.
    edited April 2010
    Thanks, volkov. If I do the captain's chairs, though, my 3rd row passenger takes up too much cargo space for trips, so that's just not an option.

It's looking like I may have to settle for 3 kids across the 2nd row all the time, rather than just for trips. Though I suppose with Pilot I could also put car seats in the 60% portion of the 2nd row, leaving the 40% portion available to fold & allow access the 3rd row. I assume the bench-seat-option Taurus X would allow the same then. Hmm... I wonder if their LATCH anchors would accommodate 2 car seats in the 60% portion of the 2nd row... anyone know? :confuse:
    The Sienna offers AWD and comes with about an extra inch of so of clearance vs. other vans.

That may not be enough, but I thought I'd mention that.
    Thanks juice -
    I considered Sienna and, if I went the minivan route, it'd probably be the one I choose though I favor Odyssey's looks & handling. I've tested the limits of my Outback's ground clearance and think the Sienna would still be too low for what I want to do. The high price of the AWD version and the run-flat tires are also big negatives. I'd have to keep a spare tire in the cargo area in case I damaged a tire on a Forest Service or logging road... certainly don't want to be stuck in the middle of the woods with the kiddos in tow.
    Yep, sounds like you need a lot more than just an extra inch.
  • I had a freestyle which is the same as the Taurus X. It is impossible to put two carseats or a carseat and booster in the second row 60 part. There isn't enough seat space and if you happened to get them in, they would be so crammed that you would not be able to raise or lower the 40 seat. I suggest putting one car seat in the 40 part and the other two in the back. Leave the 60 side open all the time which is on the driver side to get in and out easily. You might have to put luggage on top of the car or on the floors under the kids feet. The car really needs to be a couple inches wider. The GMC Acadia seems to have a little more space.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,367
    I'm going off of memory here, but I think the Sienna AWD has more ground clearance than the Taurus X.