Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crossover SUV Comparison

Comments

• jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    edited April 2010
    I like '10 Outback, but unfortunately they fall beyond my price range this time. Otherwise I'd definitely take a closer look at the redesign to see if I could fit 2 car seats & a booster in the 2nd row. I know it'd be close. It'd also be nice to get the new Outback's 29MPG on the highway rather than 22-24.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    You're right on. 4/10ths difference on Pilot or Taurus X I can live with, but when I've taken Outback to its clearance limits already, I don't want to drop 1.5" to Sienna's clearance. I'm interested in off-pavement, but not off-road. :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Get a Chase Subaru credit card to offset some of that cost.

I got $1600 off our Forester and we already have $500 saved up to pay for service. :shades:
  • lanbabalanbaba Posts: 45
    My wf crashed my 05 AWD Limited Freestyle a few weeks back and it is still in the shop(insurance won't total it, the repair bill is around 7K, but it is other party's fault :cry: :mad: ). The car has about 65K miles on it, and I don't want to drive it any more since it is a major accident and I don't think it is as safe as before the accident although the bodyshop will do a good job. Now I'm on the market again. I will get another new Freestyle/Taurus X if they are still available, but I can't even find a low mileage used one around me. So, I'm on the market again.
    Tested Enclave, the second row seats are too close to the floor, not like the FS, so it is not really comfy for a long trip (I'm only 5'7"). And the third row, it has a big space than the FS, but the hip space actually smalled than FS.
    I really don't want to drive a minivan, so what are my choices? I wan't something at least same size as the FS, but not smaller. :confuse:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    The Flex was essentially the replacement for the Freestyle/Taurus X. Have you given those a look?

• donl1donl1 Posts: 109
    I could never get past the look of the exterior sheet metal on the Flex to ever consider one. Just my opinion.
    edited May 2010
    I could never get past the look of the exterior sheet metal on the Flex to ever consider one. Just my opinion.

And you're entitled to it :) . Personally, I think they're great looking vehicles, much more-so than the bland Traverse. The Freestyle was nice-looking, but quite bland as well.

The thing about a car with major style, you'll likely love-it or hate-it.
    Try the Flex, as mentioned above.

Did that Enclave have captain's chairs, or a 2nd row bench? I think they offer both, so if you didn't like one you may like the other better.

There are a lot of entries in this class, I'd suggest checking them all out at a local auto show, if one will be in your town any time soon. You can test-fit them without any sales pressure.

Another option is CarMax - if even just to test-fit several different models, and see how they age.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,218
    I'm not usually one for large SUVs but in a lot of ways the Flex looks like a Mini Cooper that's all grown up. :) The proportions are good with no unseemly bulges or other oddities and the lines in the body panels keep it from looking like big slabs of metal tossed together. Good aesthetics. And 17/24 MPG for FWD or 16/22 for AWD is not bad at all for something that size.
  • davichodavicho Posts: 190
    ..."Flex looks like a Mini Cooper that's all grown up."

Your freaking kidding right? If you are not, man you need to get your eyesight checked. :P
  • islander55islander55 Posts: 4
    it's like a big shoe box with a smaller shoebox attached and a FORD logo at front
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    Looks to me more like the "Square" 2004-2006 Scion-xb that Toyota build for a couple of years. OR a Ford full size van that got squeezed and flattened.

My BIL recently purchased a Flex. Seems to me that it doesn't have as much room inside as the outside suggests it does. Probably a nice car though.
    I think he was referring to the white roof on the models that are two-tone.

With that color scheme it does look like a Maxi Cooper. :D
    With that color scheme it does look like a Maxi Cooper.

I don't like how you worded that. Makes it sound like a car one might drive on "heavy days."

Sorry...I had to. :blush:

I agree with the overall sentiment though!
    >"I think he was referring to the white roof on the models that are two-tone.
    With that color scheme it does look like a Maxi Cooper."

Haven't seen one like that. The BIL's is solid red or Burgundy with black interior as he is a Georgia Bulldog fan. He was trying to replaced the blue oval with a Bull Dog logo. Don't know how that worked out. Then there are window stickers and I'm thinking a flag or two. The tire air valves, his billfold, jeans, hat, jacket and shirt all have Bull Dog logos. Almost like a religion or cult.

That may have had some bearing on my thoughts. ;)

:
    A little tacky, yes. :D
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,601
    ...as he is a Georgia Bulldog fan. He was trying to replaced the blue oval with a Bull Dog logo. Don't know how that worked out. Then there are window stickers and I'm thinking a flag or two. The tire air valves, his billfold, jeans, hat, jacket and shirt all have Bull Dog logos. Almost like a religion or cult.

IMHO, there is a point where one must defer to dignity and stop wearing "team" apparel" unless it's at a game - that age is about 23.
    He just retired from the Federal Government. I'm thinking he is old enough for early Social Security. And yes, he wears that garb when not at a game!

But is his defense, he did play second string football in high school! ;)
    I can imagine his radio playing "Glory Days" by Bruce Springsteen. ;)
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "I'm not usually one for large SUVs but in a lot of ways the Flex looks like a Mini Cooper that's all grown up. The proportions are good with no unseemly bulges or other oddities and the lines in the body panels keep it from looking like big slabs of metal tossed together. Good aesthetics. And 17/24 MPG for FWD or 16/22 for AWD is not bad at all for something that size. "

Not a mini cooper, a Scion xB that is all grown up...