Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crossover SUV Comparison

Comments

• joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    RE: Veracruz features

I would wait for the release of final specs ;) I saw the Veracruz recently up and close - it was an impressive vehicle. Appealing visuals, elegant layout, neat touches...by the way, love that smart-key feature!!
  • As much as I like the Acadia, it is more than 1 mpg behind the Freestyle. The in-town EPA MPG figure is 2 mpg behind the Freestyle and more representative of the difference you'll see amongst most drivers. At least the Acadia provides a bigger, heavier vehicle for the MPG loss compared with the Freestyle. Its true that people will pick a Freestyle based on its rugged-looks, great crash ratings, and great MPG, while many are in the market for more power and swoopy-styling or a fancy nameplate (how else do you explain Land Rover sales) and don't mind burning more gasoline to get it. That kind of gas-guzzling way of living is getting to be more and more of a problem in the real world. The Freestyle has too much power, as a couple of more MPG would be about right for a sacrifice of 1.5 seconds more 0-60.
  • guyfguyf Posts: 456
    Just don't fully depress the gas pedal....It will not generate it's full HP, you will add 1-2 seconds in the 0 to 60 and you will gain a couple of MPG...... :shades:
  • srangersranger Posts: 106
    Sorry,

I should have said Mitsibishi Outlander, not Outlook...

As for the Veracruz, I would rather have the Santa Fe....

And yes the Santa Fe is still on my list....
  • arumagearumage Posts: 922
    The Outlander's 3rd row is a complete joke, although the rest of it is packaged and priced well. I enjoyed the Santa Fe except for the lack of space behind the 3rd row.
    I could care less about the third row. I wish they offered all of these without the third row. I just need the towing capacity. Otherwise, I would have probably already bought a CX-7....
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,972
    epa numbers can be real or not. 2 different drivers can get much different mileage in the same vehicle. i just hate hanging my hat totally on the epa numbers.
    A Ford Escape, Mercury Mariner, or Mazda Tribute V6 will tow 3500 lbs, and most likely so will the redesigned '08 Vue. The new Vue looks like it will be really nice. It will probably get a lesser tuned version of the 3.6L V6. There is the Chevy Equinox and Nissan Murano as well.
  • albookalbook Posts: 1,282
    Just got back from the 07 St louis auto show. Everything except VeraCruz was there. Here are my thoughts. Please don't call me biased- my experiences made me this way:

Acura MDX- Third row a JOKE, and looked awkward
    CX-9-Third row too small- my teenager, and preteen had no leg room
    Pilot-No legroom and UGLY
    GMC Acadia/ outlook- Good room (my new favorite)
    Santa FE- third row not great, but more room than expected (no cargo space)
    PAcifica-Always looked down on it, but sat in, and third row room was good.
    Freestyle-Room deccent- not what everyone raves about, and when I saw that cheap cover floor over the third row, I said NO WAY!And interior panels looked cheap.
    outlander-Won't even comment on that crap

So in the end i did like the Outlook/Acaida best, but I want eevrything- not just looks or performancee or just space and gas mileage. What I will say is thaat if I was crossover shopping right now, and Acadia didn't exist, my head would hurt. Oh- well i did like the amount of space in the Benz GL450, if that helps any. But that's priced @ like 60!
  • nxs138nxs138 Posts: 481
    How was the Mazda 3rd row seat compared to the Acadia in terms of height, i.e. when I sat in the Acadia, I thought the 3rd row was low to the ground and I had no thigh support. Is the CX-9's 3rd row any higher?
    Hmmm... In my experience, I thought that even the Santa Fe had a better 3rd row than the Pacifica. My head hit the ceiling when I sat back there. It was close to the ceiling in the Santa Fe, but it didn't hit.

The Acadia is growing on me, but for now, it's just too expensive with the options. Someone on the Veracruz forum posted Canadian pricing, although I'm not sure where he got it. A AWD Vercruz with leather, moonroof, etc. was less than a base AWD Acadia.
    Well, I have a 2005 Mercury Mariner. It is ok, but has WAY to much road noise. It sounds like a jet engine on the highway. I doubt I would buy the 2008 version as it's is WORSE than the one I have now...

Ford obviously did a lot of cost cutting on the 2008 Mariner/Escape and it really hurt the overall performance and braking. It is probably the worst in class small SUV in just about every measurable way...
  • The 2008 Escape/Mariner have lower NVH than the '05-'07 models, its one of the areas they "improved" now they did go to drum brakes in the back - except on the hybrid ones, and they still have the same powertrain but it is quieter than before.

The Freestar was canceled not the Freestyle, The Freestyle will be around for the '08 model year and will have the same 3.5L as in the CX-9 so about 260hp, it will use a different transmission from the CX-9 though. It will be shown in Chicago and it will have the Microsoft/Ford Sync system. http://www.syncmyride.com/ It looks like a really cool system, the girl at the Detroit show said it will only cost a few hundred dollars.

Also the Veracruz info is up - http://www.allnewveracruz.com/ and no mention of the HID's, Bluetooth, Navigation, LED tail lights etc. Also the ones on display at the NAIAS didn't show those features they were the Limited with the Ultimate package.
    There is still a chance for Nav in April so it would make it into vehicles later on. The LED tail lights, HID's, and bluetooth didn't translate into the US version, although it does offer a few nice things standard that are either not available on other models or are options. It will also be $1000s less.
    I will admit the third row in the acadia was a little low, but there was lots of leg room. Where as I think the Mazda was about the same height, but with less leg room and way less width.
    And with the second row seat scooted slightly forward, the pacifica had pretty decnt room all around (one of the widest), where aas arumage I think you might have been right about head room in that Santa Fe, but at the cost, the seat is REALLY low. And you have no cargo space, which would be needed for those road trips. According to the site, santa Fe and Vera CRuz have same amount of room in row 3. What i don't like about Pacifica is that big console in second row. If it would have had just captains, I might be driving one now! About space behind third row, no CUV really had it but Freestyle and Acadia. I also sat in X5 third row, and I felt like an old man trying to get out.
    Actually, the overall 3rd row dimension in the Veracruz is larger than the Santa Fe. While the cargo behind the 3rd row is smaller, the 2nd row now adds additional space and comfort. The overall interior volume of the Veracruz is larger than the Santa Fe.

I've sat in all three rows of both cars, and I'm no short person by any means - I felt very comfortable, even during extended period.
  • guyfguyf Posts: 456
    I got the canadian pricing on Cartalkcanada.

Hyundai advised me today that pricing for the Veracruz will be $39,995 for the GLS and $45,995 for the Limited model.

Also they have brochures out now - mini ones that give the content and the GLS is very well loaded and yes it also has leather. Limited adds the toys like Video and Navi. Alas none are on their way to Canada yet.
    Actually, the overall 3rd row dimension in the Veracruz is larger than the Santa Fe. While the cargo behind the 3rd row is smaller...
    Where did you get this? the site said they were the same. If cargo room behind the row 3 is smaller then there is no room at all behind it. Must touch the rear liftgate. I wouldn't get it for this reason- though I haven't seen it in person. But I will get in it at the Chicago Auto Show. Where did you get in it. I thought you couldn't touch it yet. YOu ust work for Hyundai.
    Arumage-did you misplace some twos for threes? 45grand for a Hyundai? H E double hockey sticks NO way I would get it at that price. Did you mean starting at 29,995?
  • 07xle07xle Posts: 177
    Veracruz 3rd row headroom is 1.3" more than the Santa Fe. the shoulder room is 2.2" more than the Santa Fe and the legroom is just 0.2" more than the Santa Fe.

Storage volume behind the 2nd seat is 17% greater than the Santa Fe.

Storage Volume isn't published yet behind the 3rd seat but I would expect it to be 20-30% more than the 10 ft3 of the Santa Fe.

Prices are sky high in Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    why bring a mariner into this discussion?
    pacifica with a 3rd row? nope.
    I've seen the site and the picture. Storage room is quite a bit more on the floor (atleast 2 rows of groceries without stacking instead of 1) The $39,995 price, in Canadian dollars, includes options like leather, moonroof, and AWD, according to the same site. An AWD Acadia with no other options is $39,995. Adding leather and the sunroof. The equivalent Acadia version costs a little over $46k Canadian. The Veracruz's limited price of $46k Canadian that the site lists includes the memory seat packages, entertainment, power liftgate, and 605 watt stereo. Those same options push the Acadia to more than $50k Canadian.
    You could get in it at the Detroit Auto Show. Here are some pictures someone took. There are 6 pages of personally taken photos of the interior and exterior.

http://www.josebatalla.com/veracruz/
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Posts: 205
    Most likely these are MSRP prices. Veracruz will be selling at invoice very fast. This year is bringing fierce competition in the CUV segment. Within few month and even days for some, we'll be seeing redesigned CX-9, Highlander, Murano, and Pilot. There is no way Veracruz can be selling for as much as newly redesigned Japanese rivals.
    why bring a mariner into this discussion?

Some one asked my why it was not on my list...
    Official US Veracruz spec - http://www.hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2007_Models/Veracruz/Specifications.asp

Official US Santa Fe spec - http://www.hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2007_Models/Santa_Fe/Specifications.asp

Storage is adequate and plenty. Try folding down the seats if you'd need additional space.
    An AWD Acadia with no other options is $39,995.
    An All wheel drive Acadia with all options except navigation and chrome wheels is 39,604. This price includes power liftgate, memory seats and upgraded stereo. And I'm sure we all know VeraCruz can't possibly be priced at 39,995 because at this price you could get a new Acura MDX and have more in a luxo CUV! Hyundai won't sell one at this price decked out. I could tell you guys where Veracurz will start-28-33g.
    Read the replies. These are CANADIAN prices posted at one of the forums, not USD.
  • Vercacruz's exterior size is about equal to a Ford Edge. Ford could be in trouble with the Korean machine competing with it. Now if we can just get the UAW to be paid Korean wages, Ford would have a chance....
    I got that at first, but then I got confused with another one of the posts, but i was saying I understand those can't be USD prices-I mean, Hyundai's not stupid.