Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crossover SUV Comparison

Comments

• The Freestyle was supposed to be freshened up and converted to a Mercury, so I've heard. I don't know what the truth really is. I've also heard it will be back for '08 with the bigger 3.5L V6. Only Ford seems to know what's going to happen.
  • albookalbook Posts: 1,282
    All you guys looking for alternative crossovers look at the new chrysler crossover. It should compete with the Acaida/ CX-9 and is codenamed "JC49."
  • arumagearumage Posts: 922
    It's definitely smaller by the look of it, but it is supposed to be quite a bit cheaper as well.
    I actually like the '08 Freestyle front better than the old one, but since it's just a freshen up, they can't really change the greenhouse. One review of the Acadia said that it had the engine had to kick into a lower gear quite a bit to move the heft, but that it wasn't terrible about it. I know that's one thing I don't like about my Camry 4-cyl.
  • srangersranger Posts: 106
    Well,

I will be getting a new company vehicle some time this year or next. It has to be a SUV type to haul equipment and and at least 5 adults. ( Basically a minivan that I would be caught dead driving ;) ) It has to tow at least 3500lb. Handle reasonable, get at least 20mph with a 50/50 HWY/CITY. 6 CD in MP3 player. Aux MP3 input. Has to be comfortable for me 6'-4" 230lb...

So far Here is my List of vehicles that I have ruled out:

Mazda CX-7 - No towing capacity...
    Honda Pilot - Can't stand the looks...
    Ford Edge - Horrable Brakes.
    Ford FreeStyle - Can't stand the looks and hate the small foot well on the driver and passenger side. ( I guess I have big feet )
    Acadia + Encalve - I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER GM PRODUCT...
    BMW X5 - Not worth the price...
    Lexus RX330 - Not worth the price...
    Toyota Forunner - Not enough shoulder room. Just felt cramped...
    Exployer/Expedition - Poor gas milage... Horrific Re-sale vale.
    Toyota Rav4 - Toyota simply will not build a Limited with the 3500lb towing package, leather heated seats and AWD??? Also, I Hate the side opening door.

Still in the running:

CX-9 - Will wait to see if it's brake are good or bad since it is loosly based on the same platform as the edge. I love the interior. High demand will probably make it too expensive for a while. I'll wait until the new wears off to purchase.
    Outlook - Looks good so far...
    BMW X3 - Really like it, it is fun to drive, but expensive and a little small..
    2008 Hylander - Looks like it will be built on the Avalon platform with a 269hp V6 + 6 Speed trans... I Will wait to see it before making a purchase...

So far the CX-9 is at the top of the list, but I suspect that the new Hylander will be the winner....
  • kjf18kjf18 Posts: 16
    So you'll consider the Outlook but not the Acadia? Is it a GMC/Buick service kind of thing? Just curious.

Kelly
    What about a Hyundai Veracruz? It meets all your criteria. The CX-9 will have different brakes. Most of the car aside of the engine block and chassis is not used by Ford. The engine block is the same, but it has Mazda specific goodies and is assembled in Japan. The Outlook was a GM product the last time I looked. :confuse: Expect to be on a waiting list for a Highlander.
  • "Acadia + Encalve - I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER GM PRODUCT..."

The Saturn Outlook is 100% GM, too. Remember there are a lot of engineers at the various GM divisions and suppliers, and the Outlook/Acadia look to be great vehicles.
  • Freestyle underpowered? People say it so much it might someday make it true..... The reality is that 8.5 seconds 0-60 times of the Freestyle shows plenty of power. There are slower and faster cars/trucks out there. If a vehicle is in the middle of the pack going 0-60, then you can say it has "average" power, not underpowered. Porsche actually designed the sweet, 60-degree V-angle, DOHC, all-aluminum, Freestyle 3.0L engine that Ford then bought the design rights to. Yes, Porsche. I say more MPG, less acceleration. The Freestyle is a good compromise, as I get 27 MPG regularly in mine in mixed driving with average, not underpowered, acceleration. It might be that people look at the 203 hp figure on the 3.0L and think the automatic tranny is as wastefull as trannies of the past, when the CVT actually puts the power to the ground using optimal profiles and doesn't waste power through excessive heat build-up like conventional torque-convertor automatics do.
    The fact remains that the new crossovers are doing sub-8 (or just over) second runs without a marginal loss of fuel economy with added room(Acadia is only 1 mpg behind). It is a shame that the CVT can't handle the 3.5L V6. It might make 0-60 in 7.5 seconds (like the 2007 Pacifica, not that I'm advocating the Pacifica's 16/24 mpg rating). Not all people are as educated about cars as we forum-dwellers are. A 60 hp difference will be a much bigger deal to the less educated consumer. The problem with the Freestyle is that it doesn't have anything that just reaches out and grabs the consumer. It disappears in a croud. That doesn't mean it's any less of a good vehicle.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    RE: Veracruz features

I would wait for the release of final specs ;) I saw the Veracruz recently up and close - it was an impressive vehicle. Appealing visuals, elegant layout, neat touches...by the way, love that smart-key feature!!
  • As much as I like the Acadia, it is more than 1 mpg behind the Freestyle. The in-town EPA MPG figure is 2 mpg behind the Freestyle and more representative of the difference you'll see amongst most drivers. At least the Acadia provides a bigger, heavier vehicle for the MPG loss compared with the Freestyle. Its true that people will pick a Freestyle based on its rugged-looks, great crash ratings, and great MPG, while many are in the market for more power and swoopy-styling or a fancy nameplate (how else do you explain Land Rover sales) and don't mind burning more gasoline to get it. That kind of gas-guzzling way of living is getting to be more and more of a problem in the real world. The Freestyle has too much power, as a couple of more MPG would be about right for a sacrifice of 1.5 seconds more 0-60.
  • guyfguyf Posts: 456
    Just don't fully depress the gas pedal....It will not generate it's full HP, you will add 1-2 seconds in the 0 to 60 and you will gain a couple of MPG...... :shades:
    Sorry,

I should have said Mitsibishi Outlander, not Outlook...

As for the Veracruz, I would rather have the Santa Fe....

And yes the Santa Fe is still on my list....
    The Outlander's 3rd row is a complete joke, although the rest of it is packaged and priced well. I enjoyed the Santa Fe except for the lack of space behind the 3rd row.
    I could care less about the third row. I wish they offered all of these without the third row. I just need the towing capacity. Otherwise, I would have probably already bought a CX-7....
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,444
    epa numbers can be real or not. 2 different drivers can get much different mileage in the same vehicle. i just hate hanging my hat totally on the epa numbers.
    A Ford Escape, Mercury Mariner, or Mazda Tribute V6 will tow 3500 lbs, and most likely so will the redesigned '08 Vue. The new Vue looks like it will be really nice. It will probably get a lesser tuned version of the 3.6L V6. There is the Chevy Equinox and Nissan Murano as well.
  • albookalbook Posts: 1,282
    Just got back from the 07 St louis auto show. Everything except VeraCruz was there. Here are my thoughts. Please don't call me biased- my experiences made me this way:

Acura MDX- Third row a JOKE, and looked awkward
    CX-9-Third row too small- my teenager, and preteen had no leg room
    Pilot-No legroom and UGLY
    GMC Acadia/ outlook- Good room (my new favorite)
    Santa FE- third row not great, but more room than expected (no cargo space)
    PAcifica-Always looked down on it, but sat in, and third row room was good.
    Freestyle-Room deccent- not what everyone raves about, and when I saw that cheap cover floor over the third row, I said NO WAY!And interior panels looked cheap.
    outlander-Won't even comment on that crap

So in the end i did like the Outlook/Acaida best, but I want eevrything- not just looks or performancee or just space and gas mileage. What I will say is thaat if I was crossover shopping right now, and Acadia didn't exist, my head would hurt. Oh- well i did like the amount of space in the Benz GL450, if that helps any. But that's priced @ like 60!
  • nxs138nxs138 Posts: 481
    How was the Mazda 3rd row seat compared to the Acadia in terms of height, i.e. when I sat in the Acadia, I thought the 3rd row was low to the ground and I had no thigh support. Is the CX-9's 3rd row any higher?