Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma Vibrations/Shimmy/Noises

124»

Comments

• My 2006 was in Bell Road Toyota in Phoenix Arizona working on my shimmy for over 9 weeks. They have given up on it. I got fed up and traded it in on a 2010 Ford F150 Raptor. Interestingly enough, I figured out the problem with mine while taking it to trade it in. The shimmy mine had disappeared when I put it into 4 high. The dealer said "it sounds like the transfer is bad." Funny thing, I told them I thought it was the transmission or transfer when I brought it in. It just took them 2 months and replacing everything but the trans/transfer/engine.
    Good luck with yours.
  • The shimmy has plagued the Tacomas since when they were introduced in 2005. They know about it. Its more pronounced depending on the type of road you drive on. I have a 2005 Dual Cab Prerunner. Why Toyota doesn't address the problem is beyond me. Maybe complaints to the government are in order. Maybe they don't want any more black eyes in the media. Ah well, great truck otherwise....I really hate the fact that they don't step up to the plate and acknowledge the problem and make it right.
  • I have a 97 taco 4X4 (manual hubs), manual tranny 2.7 liter and I experience a front end shudder/vibration...only in neutral (with the clutch released) when I'm coasting. If I push in the clutch or put it into any gear the vibration stops. I have checked all the fluids, ball joints, tie rods, axles, etc and cannot find any answers. I have brand new tires and have had them balanced and aligned multiple times...to no avail. I was hoping you would have some insight since we have both owned the same truck. I would appreciate a response if you have time, I know your post was a long time ago but any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • HI everyone, i have a 07 double cab with the same problem. It is the plastic part that goes into the fender well, i replaced the foam insulation on it, so it is tight to the fender. This worked for awhile now the noise comes and goes but is very bad at time, i am still trying to figure on what to do next. As in replacing the part along with the flexible hose with the k&n filter system as i saw on one site but i can not remember which one. Thanks and hope this helps.
  • gtacogtaco Posts: 2
    edited February 2011
    I am getting a grinding vibration sound at 62 MPH to 65 MPH. It occured from mile 1 to mile 1000. The dealer said this is normal!!

It is very annoying when drivin gon the highway. I will be forced to drive at 70 to avoid this vibration!

What should I do? Can I return it using the lemon law? :lemon:
  • gtacogtaco Posts: 2
    I hav ethe same problem!! Dealer of course said, I am the first one to complain, and i tis normal!! Ahat a bunce of liars. So many people have the same problem!
  • I have the same thing, so i took off the plastic fresh air tube(that goes into the fender) and noticed that the bolt were a little lose, but i took it off and the noise went away. When i reinstalled it i made sure the bolt were nice and tight and the vibrating noise stopped. Hope this helps and please let me know how it works. Paul
  • cleehcleeh Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Tacoma double cab 4WD. After starting the engine and putting it reverse to back out of the garage, I hear a vibrating noise which seems to come from under the hood on the passenger side close to the dash. This noise continues off and on while in Drive for the first 3 or 4 miles and then goes away. Any slight bump or dip makes the vibration louder. Seems like it vibrates more in cold weather. Any ideas?
  • ynoyno Posts: 1
    had same problem dealer balanced tires twice,then replaced one of the tires no more shimmy they are dunlops this was done @eddys toyota,wichita ks
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Okay so I picked up my 2004 Tacoma after the re frame and everything seemed very good mechanically. I only noticed two things, one the shift lever stays lit in "R" for reverse even thought it's working correctly and my left side dash lights are dimmer then before. What I didn't expect was a laundry list of technician notes on items I didn't know were problematic with the truck, I though it ran and worked just fine.

1) Drifts right - don't notice this
    2) vibration in drive line - don't notice this
    3) front brake squeal - don't hear this
    4) rough idle - seems smooth to me
    5) transmission or transfer case leak - don't see a one drop of fluid
    6) muffler weak - sounds just fine, quiet
    7) wires corroded on 4 wheel drive switch - said he don't how my 4 wheel drive is working cause the wires are corroded totally off
    8) A.C. low on charge - works great for me

So what's up with them? Are any of these detrimental requiring immediate servicing?
  • I have a 2010 Tacoma and at 80mph 2,800 RPM on deceleration a growling noise in the
    transmission bell housing area , it stops at 75 mph or if you push in the clutch.
    Anyone have this problem or any answers or fixes.
  • Did you get the vibration fixed? I have the same problem.
  • lemsachlemsach Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    I had same problem and turned out to be the u-joints and carring bearing
    you have to get under and shake you drive shaft, if there is any movement
    then replace those u-joint about $12.00 each one and the carring bearing will cost about $350.00 from dealer. A shop can charge you about 600-900 the change them. There are cool hillybillys and readnecks that will show you how to do it yourself on utube. :shades:
  • The problem is the spline the throw out bearing rides on . If its grooved its garbage . Toyota is aware of the problem thanks to my tacoma . The part is cast and has a defect . They have patched mine together 4 times with a new throwout bearing so they didnt get stuck with the bill . The part alone is $700 dollars and is the entire housing assembly has to be replaced . The entire transmission has to be removed and disassembled to get to the bolts on the inside of the casing in order for it to be removed (new gaskets and major labor ). They patched mine along until my warranty ran out . I spent $2700.00 dollars to find this information out so i can sue my dealership(im sure theres a loop hole) . If you own a tacoma truck assembled after 2005 chances are your spline is bad or defective .. Goodluck .. FU toyota
  • What kind of Michelin tires did you put on your truck. I just bought a 2013 Texas Edition and noticed a little vibration on Passenger side . They said it needed to be align and balanced. Fixed the problem temporary but it has come back. I will be taking it again tomorrow and glad I found all this complaints on this forum and where to go from here. thanks
  • I have a 2005 Toyota Tacoma Crew cab Pre Runner TRD. I had a vibration while driving as well as on acceleration. This started around 40k miles and got to where I could not stand it at 50k. I narrowed it down to the center carrier barring or the U joints. It turns out it was the rear u joints. pins were gone in 2 of the 4. I replaced and haven't had a problem untill recently at 90k. I suspect the same thing. I do use the truck for light towing of a yard trailer but nothing over 3000lbs. My advise is to check the u joints first, You will have to get up close and personal to check each one with a flash light. Simply checking for play in drive shaft my not identify the problem. Hope this helps.
  • brepeibrepei Posts: 10
    Hi,
    Thanks for the info on the drive line. I have 62K on my 03 Tacoma 4x4 extended cab. I still have the vibration between 40-60. When I get new tires this year, if the vibration is still exists, I'll check those u-joints. Did you know that the grease for the u-joints is not just the regular grease they use on the rest of the chassis? Check your owners manual for the right kind.
    Thanks again,
    Brepei
  • rcummelinrcummelin Posts: 179
    Yes, that's a very common noise, and it's apparently the ABS doing some sort of self-diagnostic. Louder on some vehicles than on others. Toyota considers it to be "Normal." Yeah, go figure....
  • I just got a 2010 Tacoma and I noticed the same thing right away. Terrible noise! I'm surprised there aren't more posts about this. This is NOT a noise that just about every car on the road makes, I've never heard anything like it (I'm 38). Is there anything that can be done about it?
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    I would address it with the seller.
  • mike_1394mike_1394 Posts: 2
    edited March 12

I have a 2007 Tacoma 4x2 TRD access cab, i just turned over 100000 miles about a month ago and i started to get a ticking sound from the engine, i just assumed that it was because it is cold ( it was February) so i let it go, then i started to get a bump from the rear end when in low speeds ( 5 - 10) now i am getting a heavy vibration from what feels like the drive axle in speeds between 50-70 but only when i accelerate and it clears up after i pass 70. i tried fully cleaning the full system with the 4 STP cleaners and it felt like it helped a little but not very noticeable. Thoughts?

124»