Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• crj1crj1 Posts: 70
    Hi all,

I have a Silver 99 Tracker 4dr. 4wd with auto
    trans.,power windows and locks,keyless
    entry,cruise,cd player,power sunroof,alloy
    wheels,skid plates,only 8300 miles. This was my
    wifes vehicle but we need to get rid of it because
    of company car.
    We are looking for someone to take over the lease
    of which we have 17 months left at $251.00 plus
    whatever your sales tax is, and just under 28000
    miles left under warranty. This is a
    great vehicle but just don't have room.
  • Describe color and options, photo will do,yourlocation, outright buyout price and send info to miroslav1@juno.com
  • My wife and I purchase a new 1997 Suzuki Sport Sidekick JLX and have had nothing but trouble. At 32,000 miles the engine slowly began self destructing necessitating a new short block at $3200 plus labor. Now at 72,000 miles, the auto tranny just blew up. The vehicle has been maintained at levels exceeding the manufacturer's recommendations (all my trucks have gone at least 250,000 miles with NO problems: current truck, a 1987 GMC Jimmy, has 301,000). Dealership Suzuki techs are undertrained. Parts are horribly expensive. The warranty period is woefully inadequate. Suzuki had little to say after a detailed complaint was filed. I don't know if the dealerships of the Tracker are any better than the Suzuki ones, but since they all come off the same assembly line, I would be very wary. We wisely purchased a third party extended warranty, and it has paid for itself five times over before the current tranny problem. Good luck if you have already bought one!
  • Hello,
    can you describe your vehicle and you request.
    Where are you located?
    Please mail to :
    abonam@tin.it
  • usaf52usaf52 Posts: 70
    I have a 2001 Tracker 4wd 4 dr with 10000 miles on it. I live in a mountainous area..This SUV has been trouble free, and despite complaints about lack of power, it goes up these mountain roads with ease. The only complaint I have is the automatic headlights..They've come on when I went under the drive in of a fast food place..Late in the day when there are long shadows, it clicks on and off. Is there anyway to disable this feature?
  • I also have a 99 black 4WD/2.0/5 spd Tracker convertible, that I bought at the end of the year. I'm having problems with shifting into 3rd gear and the gears chrunching, both on upshift and downshift.
    It's worse when it's cold, but now it's doing it more often on the downshift even when it's warm. Had it back to the garage and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. This is the third Suzuki or Tracker I've had, so I'm familiar with what these vehicles should be and not be doing. I just want to thank you for this post, so now I have something to go in there with. They replaced the clutch, clutch plate and throw-out bearing within the first 1000 miles. I had complained about the noise the throw-out bearing was making and when they took it apart it was torn up inside. It was after that that I noticed the chrunching and I suggested then that they may have put in the wrong xmission fluid.

Do you happen to have the TSP number?

Do you have the Uniroyals tire on your Tracker? How were they in last years snow (I to live in MD)? I still had my old Tracker with Goodyear Wranglers on it and they did great, but I don't like the look of these Uniroyals tread. They look too much like regular car tire treads.

Do you have a problem with shifting into 4WD? Mine I have to fight to get it in and sometimes it grinds like crazy. Once I get it in the first time the next time is OK. Here again the dealer told me they were all that way, and it was working properly. My one Sidekick had auto locking hubs, which you had to stop the car first before engaging 4WD. My previous Tracker had manual locking hubs which were much better since you can shift into and out of 4WD anytime you wanted once the hubs were locked. This shift on the fly just doesn't work good, at least not on my Tracker.
  • captjcaptj Posts: 8
    Sorry about the delay in answering. Holiday joy. The dealer I went to in Fairfax, VA, at first was uninformed about ‘99 Tracker synchro grinding. I actually printed up some of the posts on this site to help convince my Service Advisor (Mike at McKay Chev, 703-591-4800) that this was not a unique problem. Much to his credit, he chased down an advisory that he said he got by fax from GM’s “Tech Advice” service. Here’s what the invoice said they did as directed in the fax. Using 7.7 hours of labor, “R&R trans. Repl 3rd gear synchro, synchro springs, 2nd gear synchro, & 2nd gear springs. Overhaul complete. Road tested all checked OK.” Parts listed are: one 96058162, Gear-Main 4.395; one 96068498, Sychroni 4.380; one 96058172, Ring-Low 4.384; one 96066873, Key 4.384; three 12345349, Fluid-Tra 8.800; one SLR-RTV 8.800; three 1052271, Lube 8.800. The last three items are three qts of standard gear lube, three quarts of GM Synchromesh gear lube, and a tube of silicone gasket maker. I believe the standard gear lube was used in the rebuild because the Service Advisor told me the box is now filled with GM Synchromesh (vice the synthetic fluid called for in the Owner’s Manual) as specified in the fax. After the rebuild, the shifter had a definite drag on it while moving it into a gear, probably due to tight assembly. It has since (5000 miles later) loosened up so it feels like a normal shifter now. Gears do not clash at all on engagement, even when cold. The car has the standard Uniroyals that worked fine commuting through unplowed side streets and semi-plowed parking lots last winter. Not a true test of an off-road vehicle, but good enough for me. The 4WD shifter takes a healthy push to get it from 2WD to 4WD Hi the first time I use it, but moves easily from there to 4WD Lo (when stopped), and back to 2WD. No grinding, just a couple of seconds wait for the green 4WD light on the dash. The only time I ever heard a grind was briefly the night I picked up the car and went to try engaging 4WD. I was rounding a curve and did not know I had to have the front wheels pointed straight ahead. I think “wheels straight ahead” is an important detail to permit the air pressure-activated half shafts to engage the hubs properly. Hope this helps.
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Posts: 61
    I had a '95 Sidekick JLX with the Wranglers before I traded it for my '99 Tracker with the Uniroyals. I've made several trips over the Cascade passes during winter storms with both vehicles, and I believe the Uniroyals are much better on packed snow and ice. I've noticed the difference the most when driving on black ice.
  • I have just put 600 miles on my new blue tracker convertible and couldn't be happier. My wife and I just came back from a 192 mile round trip in the sierra mountains going up to Mt Lassen National Park and back. I got 27.45 mpg on the trip. So far the only complaint is a squeek that sounds like it may be in the dashboard which I hope the dealer will remedy shortly. The car runs great and has plenty of power for us. I didn't really push it until the first 500 miles which occcurred about halfway through the trip.
  • I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a problem of their 1999 tracker "popping" out of 4 x 4.

I have received an unbelievable story from my service advisor that ice and snow can build up under the transfer case which can cause it not to fully engage into 4 x4 and then pop out of 4 x 4 even though the shifter remains in place and the 4x4 indicator high remains on.
  • I have a 1999 Tracker which now has about 30,000km's and has been in for repairs twice for Synchros. I have been told by my service advisor that this is a "know problem". What will happen once my warranty has expired, will this still be a " known problem " and who will have to pay for this known problem, GM, I do not think so...... ?
  • dayooodayooo Posts: 1
    I am looking for a hard top for my 2001 Tracker. Per GM they no longer supply.
    Anyone have one Anyone know where to get one
  • I have a 92 Geo Tracker. A little SUV with a big problem. The ECM (the computer that controls a variety of engine functions) has died and the replacement cost for the part is about 1/3 to 1/2 of the value of the vehicle! To make matters worse no one can tell me why the part broke in the first place. So if I bite the bullet and buy the expensive part it may get burned out again. One person I talked to suggested that it may be the fuel injectors causing the problem.

Help!

John Miller
  • Sat in the new one last Friday at Luddy Chevrolet in Holden, MA. It was tighter than my '92 Civic. My shoulder actually hit the door frame and not enough leg room. I didn't look at it any further.
  • I own a 1999 scuba blue Chevrolet Tracker 2.0L 4x4 2-door. I purchased the vehicle December 1999. I have had problems with the transmission since I bought it. Downshifting into 3rd gear has been grinding. The transmission was partially rebuilt and now has problems with 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gear downshifts. THIS IS APPARENTLY A PROBLEM THAT MANY OF US SHARE. I also had a squeaking sound that was coming from the engine . . . this required the dealership to replace the entire belt,tensioner,pulley system on my vehicle. I have had numerous other problems, including vibrations, etc. I AM INTERESTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS BEEN SUCCESSFUL IN GETTING GM TO REPURCHASE OR REPLACE THEIR VEHICLE DUE TO THE TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS STATED ABOVE. IF SO, PLEASE EMAIL ME (shawn75067@hotmail.com) AS I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO PURSUE REPURCHASE FOR ME VEHICLE AND WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INSIGHT ANYONE COULD OFFER. I also think that it would be a good idea, for those of us who are having this same exact problem, that we begin writing one another and make a group. We should all join together and contact GM to complain of this obvious defect . . . in larger numbers we will have a much better chance of fighting GM and getting what we deserve. I have spoken to one person thus far with the same exact condition to his vehicle . . . we are trying to find additional people via other 'web communities' or complaint boards. I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THOSE OF YOU WHO WOULD LIKE TO JOIN US IN THE FIGHT AGAINST GM . . . THE FIGHT FOR OUR RIGHT TO BUY A NEW VEHICLE WITH NO DEFECTS. PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA EMAIL Shawn75067@hotmail.com
  • For you Tracker guys:
    I have an 89 Suzuki Sidekick. Its been a great vehicle until the last year it began to die intermitently. Finally tracked the problem to the ECM. The price for a new one was out of sight. I found Auto ECM in Houston on the Internet. They analyzed the ECM and repaired it for $200. They said they a lot of older Tracker/Sidekick are having the same ECM problems. Mine had two bad capacitors. Hope this helps. Auto ECM's address on the Internet is:
    http://www.auto-ecm.com
    jsirvin@swbell.net
  • 2000 Tracker. 4 door, 4WD, automatic, ABS, AC, alloy wheels, roof rack, cruise, tilt, stereo cassette. Dark Green.
    This has been pretty much problem free. Dealer replaced a belt because it was squeaking, and put in a new stereo due to the original being scratched when it was delivered. Other than that no problems. It has remainder of 3/36 factory warranty (purchase date 10/99). MSRP was $20,331.
    It's in outstanding condition. I want to get either an Acura TL, or VW Passat, that's why I'm selling it. I just miss having a car. All I want is my payoff of $12,850. If you look around you'll find this to be a great deal. I'm too busy to handle selling it myself, so Bob Dennis at "Denver Motors" is taking care of that for me. If you're interested please call him at 303-781-3100. Thanks (mileage is approx 13,000 oil changes done by the dealer)
  • I am considering purchasing the 2001 4WD 4 door Tracker with all options. I was hoping to get opinions on the purchase. I like to go 4wd driving in southern Utah and southwest Colorado and wondered if this vehicle can handle that. Has anyone had major problems with this vehicle? Would you purchase another one?
  • woody72woody72 Posts: 73
    We purchased a '01 Tracker about mid Dec, base model, 4 cyl 2.0, 5 speed, 4 door, 4wd. Originally I was considering the Suzuki Vitara but realized these vehicles are exactly the same though the option packages and standard equipment are quite different. Some differences I was able to find were: Chevy puts in a lower amp alternator and a lower capacity battery and uses 15" wheels and a standard size tire, narrower than the Suzuki's 16", though both tires have the same outer diameter, also there is a slight difference in rear end ratios. With the generous GM rebate of $2000 these difference were not that great to me. I tell folks I bought a Suzuki Tracker. It has plenty of power for my needs and climbs our mountain roads in 5th gear. The engine is noisey and the clutch engages quite high, just things to get used to. It took me a while to find the right seat position to feel comfortable. 4wd is great, low range could be a bit lower. With mixed driving (hiway, town, mountain roads and 4wd driveway) I'm averaging 25 mpg. The seats are quite narrow as I think a large person may be uncomfortable. I noticed in the manual it makes a big deal about not using 20W50 oil, anybody know why, I'm using 10W40. I sold my 87 Subaru hatchback with 209K (all mine) and hope to get that kind of life from this vehicle.