Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• zeke707zeke707 Posts: 74
    Does the transmission in a 2000 Vitara (2 lire)have a filter?
    Thanks
  • We just hit 1G miles on our 2k1 Tracker, and I have to say teh V6 in it seems to have OPENED UP bigtime around the 1K mark. It doesn't seem as sluggish off the start, and it's gotten quite peppy. IT is VERY noticable.
  • ewj2ewj2 Posts: 1
    I bought a 4WD 4 cyl 5sp Tracker with only roof rack and CD player as options. Pricing is excellent $2500 rebate plus dealer took off an additional $1000 and I had $3500 in GM rebates. so for $10700 I have a new car. With 2500 miles on it so far I am very pleased with it (No problems yet). At 1K miles the engine performance did improve noticeably. Went on a trip with 4 people, 4 bikes, and filled to capacity with luggage and got 25 MPG. It does wander with strong cross winds and the power is just "acceptable" but its fun to drive and is definitely worth considering even without GM dollars. Gas consumption is between 24 and 27 MPG. Only car I have ever had that beats federal rating. If Chevy sold the V6 with 5sp that would be perfect.
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Posts: 61
    I'm glad you like your Tracker. I have a 1999 4 dr 4WD with A/C, power windows and power locks, adjustable steering wheel, rear wiper, and cruise control, and I could not be happier with my selection. However, I disagree with your wishes for a V6 with a standard shift. Once you add the V6 and its dismal gas mileage, you might as well dump the Tracker/Vitara and look at Jeeps and Nissan's as alternative recipients of your hard earned money. They give you comparable fuel economy, performance, and purchase price, and a lot more interior/cargo room for your money.
  • nick01nick01 Posts: 84
    I had a 99 4dr 4cyl automatic. I got about 20 mpg in city driving. Traded for the 01 4dr 6cyl auto and still get 20 mpg in town. Dont know about highway milage.

Nick
    my daughters 01 4dr jeep gets 16 mpg and sometimes less.
    Nick
  • These vehicles will not ever be truly fast unless Chev and Suzuki put in a larger V6, something that puts out around 200 HP. Although I have read that a GV with a V6 and 5 speed can go 0-60 in the mid 8 second bracket, not too shabby for a small engined vehicle.

On the whole power issue, I have gotten to the point where it does not matter, I guess maybe its because I am not that old yet, mid twenties, and that I have been in or owned quick vechiles. If I had wanted power I could have kept my 97 1/2 ton Chev truck, except that I live in the Pac Northwest and this area tends to have long winters and rainy falls and springs. Thus I was tired of having 2WD vehicles that still sucked in the snow even using nice studded tires. Its nice to know that I can run my off road tires on the Tracker in every season and still get around fine because I have 4WD.

So I guess its all relative, I took traction in this case over power. If I lived in the Southwest I would probably take the powerful vehicle though.

matt
  • HI Y'ALL

We have a 1999 Chevy Tracker 4-door 4WD 2.0 L with approx. 50,000 km (30,000 miles) on the odometer. Is it time to replace the OEM fuel filter? If so, where is it located and is this a do-it-yourself project?

TIA
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,848
    My roommate has a '98 Tracker, which is the same design as your '93. He has 235/70/R-15's on it. I think it originally had 195/75/R-15's. He hasn't had a problem with clearance, but I wonder how much traction that thing has in the rain now, with such a light weight and increased tread area.
  • The fuel filter is hard to get at, I know because I changed it myself. It is located underneath in the rear part of the vehicle, on the top, right up against your gas tank.

You should pay a shop to do it, because it was a point and time consuming when I changed it.

matt
  • while the preacher was saying his words to marry us, my good friends were outside smearing limberger cheese on my manifold. Now that is real car stink you cant get rid of. But that was years ago and a 1949 ford.
    My 99 tracker never gave me one minutes trouble in 2 years. No smells, no breakdowns, no sqeeks. creaks, or rattles. It was a good vehicle. For every couple hundred good cars or trucks(any make) they make one like yours. They should have dropped yours into the 'crusher', but sometimes the bad slip thru no matter what.

Nick
  • I used to own a junker 1982 GMC pickup and guess what? Recently received a $2000 rebate check in the mail towards the purchase of a new GM vehicle because of the settlement of a class action lawsuit about the gas tanks in these vehicles. I have also accumulated $1200 in GM card rebate. Also Trackers now have a $2500 rebate. Also I can get a 5% employee (about $1000) from relatives. Lets see that's $6700 off on a new Tracker, Should I get one? Why?? We love the one we have now and have never had any problems with it. It's almost paid for, and only has 23,000 miles on it. 1998 was the last year for the first generation bodystyle which I prefer to the newer ones. We don't need the V-6, when we tow our trailer, or need more room, we use our AWD Astro Van.
  • bouybouy Posts: 14
    I own the 99 Tracker automatic four-door. Can anybody tell me if it is normal for the Tracker to make vibrations through the speeds between 40mph and 45mph when decelerating. I believe my Tracker should not vibrate at this speed and pursuing a BBB case. If you have this problem can you tell me if you resolved it. Although the vibration does not affect the performance, I believe a new car should not vibrate-GM claims otherwise.
  • Hi: I am looking to buy a Chevy TRacker ZR2 4WD/4DR. I was wondering what is the reliability history of this mini-ute compared to RAV4 or other similar products. I also was wondering how much people have been paying before the "rebates"...negotiated amount. If people are not comfortable posting this you can send email to elee@valleyhealthlink.com and I can post a summary for the community if there are people wanting that info. Thanks in advance.
  • We're at 2500 and counting. It's a fantastic little Ute - the wife takes my Impala when I'm not traveling the state on business and I get the Tracker. We are quite impressed, it's our "get around town" vehicle. Having 4-wheel in it is nice, esp. with the rain-soaked roads here in the midwest.

No problems so far! The "Pickup" on accelleration increased some at 1K miles and BIGTIME at 2K. IT's got some pep!
    I guess everyone either sold their Tracker or they sold their computer. That had to be a tough choice to make. :)

Nick
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,982
    A couple of the SUV discussions are slow at the moment. Maybe the weather has been good or everyone is afraid to shop at the moment, or maybe SUVs are out and Wagons are in. The Xterra crowd is missing in action too. Keep posting - someone will pop back in.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

OK steve...I'll stay tuned in. When the snow starts to fly things will pick up. Thought my post might scare up a little flurry of more posts. :)

Nick
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,982
    heh, don't use the "snow" word. It's still hitting the mid-70's here and is dang nice outside.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I'm not ready to give up golf yuet for the year!