Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• arkainzeyearkainzeye pittsburgh paPosts: 473
    btw honestly, how has your kia been for you. i almost bought one because i liked the way that it looked. but i didnt get it for some reason. i think it was either consumer reports or something like that that turned me away from it. but anyways i have friends who own them . and from what i have seen it is a love it or hate relationship. so far my friends who have a sportage have had very bad luck with it.. 4x4 drive hubs going bad every 6-12 months. along with a very noisy engine. my friend has a 2000 sportage and it went in for inspection and FAILED !! they found a broken spring on the left rear.. and he doesnt even off road...
    also he had bearings go bad on it too. also he has this never ending Check engine like that the kia dealers can Not fix. the spring thing is a rare thing.. but the engine light & 4x4 drive problems seem to be common among my friends.. i was just wondering how yours has been running...
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Posts: 149
    My 98 Sportage EX is a 4x2 and was in the shop for a new catalytic convertor replacement {under a recall}. As far as relaiability, mine has been fine; however, I would never purchase another one, even with their new extended warranty.The fit and finish is lousy The ride {wind noise and roughness and lack of power} {especially after driving my V/6 Duratec Escape} is a TWO compared to a TEN.The only reason I purchased same was the price and when I go to trade it in I will lose the value anyway.
    who sales aftermarket brush guards? i went to www.rocky-road.com & www.preformanceproducts.com
    but had no luck there. i also wanted to ask if anyone knew where you can buy differential armor. i seen @ rocky-road.com where they sell armor for the transfer case & transmission but nothing for differentials.. thanx
  • Try www.calmini.com
    this website has some killer aftermarket stuff BUT ONLY if your tracker is from 1998 and eariler. they basically have Nothing for "newer" trackers...
  • Sure enough, a few days after I read zeke707 warning re tightening upper radiator hose, I noticed a slight leak and easily tightened the clamp (cami uses decent clamps, apologies for my comments earlier stating they are of poor quality). Both upper clamps needed tightening, lower hose clamps seemed fine.

comments on the Suzuki skid plate: Although it is made out of pretty thick aluminum, the fact that it is supported by 4 whimpy brackets hanging down from the frame makes this nice looking yet one hit and so much for the brackets. GM accessories skid plate bolts directly to the frame, much better design.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    A lady at work has a Sportage and it's been a nightmare for her. The thing rattles like it was 15 years old. It's only just over a year since she got it. Scary stuff!

Glad you had an ok experience tronsr1.

Tracker's seem best suited for off roading as they are really are good there. On the road, they aren't as refined, but they are reliable.
  • Does contain items for the 1999/2000 Tracker/Suzuki such as front and rear guards. After clicking on Vitara, several items are displayed. In fact, pictures with their aftermarket stuff is displayed on a 1999 Suzuki 2 and 4dr.
    just a little small talk. but does anyone have any opinions on the trackers engine. i'm talking about the 2.0 Litre from 1999 till Now.. "chevy" tracker. the opinions that i am looking for would be, NOT really on power, but more so on reliability.. and if you want to throw in what you might think about the auto trany!! "fire away"
  • zeke707zeke707 Posts: 74
    We have a 2000 Suzuki 2dr 2.0 Liter automatic with 12k miles on it. I have been using Mobil 5w30 oil and Suzuki oil filters. The engine seems to be very good. It starts very easy, runs smooth and is quiet. The only issue I had going into this winter is antifreeze leaking from both ends of the upper radiator hose. Tightening the hose clamps solved that. I have noticed if you fill the windshield resovoir more than half full, it tends to splash out the fill cap as the vehicle is driven.

The automatic transmission also seems to be ok. I do notice when the vehicle is cold and when shifting to "drive", the engine rpm increases slightly and it takes about a second before you feel the transmission engaged. Once the car is warmed up, I can shift from forward to reverse and back with immediate engagement of all gears. I have tried to find out if the auto transmission has a filter (for when I change the fluid) but so far it appears the auto trans does not have a filter. I think I will have the fluid changed around 15k using a full fluid exchange service. In fact so far I think these vehicles are very good mechanically. The interior materials such as the plastic dash and seat covers could be better quality. Overall I am pleased with the suv. I also have a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I like to drive the Suzuki in town better than the Jeep.

You asked about the Tracker....as you probably know the Tracker and Suzuki are the same (at least the drive train and major body components...see www.cami.ca)
    the auto trany DOES have a filter. i bought one for mine and changed it along with ALL fluids. i changed the front & rear axles , transfer case , transmission and engine.. i used Amsoil products for all the fluids.
  • missypmissyp Posts: 2
    I purchased my 2001 Tracker in March. I now have 11,000 miles with no problems. I added an after market remote car starter w/key less entry (Autopage brand). I'm thinking about adding a sun roof, fog lamps and front brush guard. Has anyone added any accessories? If so, what? Does anyone have fog lamps and find them useful? I had considered the KIA Sportage when I first started looking for a small SUV. Negative consumer comments turned me away from it. The Tracker was a great value and so far it's reliable.
    i added a remote starter.. i use it all the time. it's cold up here... i just recently added Fog lights. and to be honest. you can barely even tell when they are on.. I also considered a Kia sportage, until neighbors and friends bought them , and i got to see first hand all the problems that they were having with them. and i mean ALOT of problems too !!
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Posts: 61
    I mounted fog lights on my '99 Tracker soon after purchase, and they can be life savers. (Better to see a 500 pound elk than to hit one.) Fog lights are intended to light the roadway immediately in front of the vehicle and widen the visual field in fog or on winding roads. They are not intended to cut through fog and extend the field of vision. The trick is in correct aiming. I suggest the following web site for instructions. http://www.4x4connection.com/tech/piaaaim.htm
  • missypmissyp Posts: 2
    Thank you for the info!!! You gave me food for thought. I have been on an accessories jag since I got the remote starter. I'm looking for just about anything cool to add on. I have really enjoyed owning my 2001 Tracker. It's really suited to me.
  • I've purchased a 2002 Tracker ZR-2 and around 40 mph I've noticed a vibration. After several trips to the dealer they are attempting to tell me it's normal. This, of course, I don't believe. Need to know if others have experienced this problem. It's only between 40 and 45mph.
    have you had things like your wheel balance checked? also have you hit your rims on anything?
    & are your tires stock? if so what kind came on your? My tracker (99) doesnt Vibrate at 40-45mph or any speed for that matter. but i also dont have stock tires either.. Btw what does the ZR-2 add other than like stickers & cosmetics? "just wondering"
  • We are in the market for a mini-ute. We were on a 1-2 month waiting list for a CRV, but I just sold our current car (Lumina) to a private party, and we need to buy something pretty quick. So much for the CRV. Also looked at the Hyundai Santa Fe, but in our area (Minneapolis) they are asking MSRP or close to it. Just don't feel comfortable with the Hyundai products yet, though people in Town Hall seem to rave about them, and reliability has improved. With the Toyota RAV4, everything's an option. So, we're now looking at Tracker. Chev dealer we have bought from previously quoted us a 2002 ZR2 4WD at 18,799 (MSRP 21,720). That is 3-4K less than other mini's we've looked at, and since we are on a tight budget, we may end up buying the Tracker. Going to test drive it this week, and if we like, once we've completed the sale of our Lumina, we'll probably buy the Tracker. This will be a secondary vehicle for us, mostly a commuter car.

I read all the posts on this topic and it seems the worst year for these was '99, with lots of tranny problems. I'd like to hear from any '02 or '01 Tracker owners. How do you like your vehicle? Any problems so far? Is it a good buy for the money?

thanks!!!
    the 1999 trany problems was ONLY with the manual transmissions NOT the auto.. as for toyota i agree with you everything is a option. and i they are to high proced anyways, it is a shame that you wasnt able to get your cr-v my girlfriend just got a 2002 cr-v Lx.. and OMG that suv it wonderful. that thing it so high-tech it feels like something NASA would make. i was very impressed with the transmission. it is front wheel drive Until it sences that is needs to go into awd. and as soon as you go back on dry pavement it goes right back into front wheel drive. but i wouldnt trust it for Off-road use. it is strictly a "on-road" suv. but if you cant see if you can find a 2002 tracker that isnt a zr-2. because all a zr-2 is is just a appearance package. everything else is the same. I only tell you this because it seems like you want to save money.. If you do go to look at a tracker make sure you take a hard look at the inside, the interior is a little on the cheap side espeically when compared to the CR-V. my interior scratches very very easy.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Saturn VUE is out now and might be another option though you can only get a V6 or a 5-speed 4cyl at this point.