Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• cpioncpion Posts: 2
    I need some advice. I wrote in a while back regarding my creaking clutch in my 2000 Chevy Tracker. Well, the story in short is that I brought it back to the dealership once and they said the clutch just needed to be adjusted, it was good for a couple of days and the creak returned. I brought it back a second time and they then said it was the plastic discs in the clutch mechanism and there was some clutch dust build up in there, which they cleaned out and at that point I was told it was a "common problem with Trackers" and they could not guarantee that it would not return again and if it did, they would not be able to fix it. Well, as you can imagine, the sound returned not long after and I called them back and they said there was nothing more they could do. I spoke to the manager and he said he could only go by what his service dept. told him and asked me to bring it down the next day. I did, but it wasn't making the sound at that time because they had just sprayed lubricant in there two days prior to that, so it was only happening on and off at that point. I told them I would take it to another Chevy dealership and get a diagnosis from them. I did just that and they said the pivot fork joint was dry and it should be greased. I then returned to the dealership I purchased the vehicle from with paperwork in hand and they still didn't want to work on it, but I did eventually convince them to TRY to fix it. They, of course, did not..they just sprayed lubricant in there again and the noise has once again returned. It's no longer under warranty, but the problem was brought to their attention during my 60 day warranty period. What would you suggest I do at this point? They definitely will not fix it now and I'm not sure that I would want them to at this point. I was thinking of contacting the Dept. of Motor Vehicles and possibly Consumer Protection...what do others do in this circumstance? I have the diagnosis, but don't feel I should have to pay for something they should have fixed in the first place!
  • mopar67mopar67 Posts: 728
    I would go back to the dealer that correctly diagnosed it. Have them fix it once and for all.
    Then write a nasty letter to GM mentioning the imcompetence of the dealer that cannot seem to fix it.
    Then file a complaint with your state's attorney general office.
  • 1badsidekick1badsidekick Posts: 135
    Hi all, I posted a long time ago, and here I am again. I have a '98 Sidekick sport (same as tracker) and I'm again having clutch problems. Last year, I had the linkage under the dash replaced, and now a year later, my clutch is once again acting up. When I press the pedal to the floor, is isn't disengaging the transmission all the way. I scrape gears often when shifting, and when sitting still, it is difficult to get it to go into any gear. I'm taking it to be looked at, and personally, I think it's either a master or slave cylinder, because under the dash, where the clutch linkage goes through the firewall, there is a lot of fluid. It isn't dripping, but it's quite wet. The resovoir is full, but it's having a problem somewhere. If it is going to cost a lot to fix, I've already chosen it's replacement: a 99 Explorer XLS. My car has 55,500 miles on it. I've had numerous problems out of this car. Every 6 months, something else happens. Any ideas or suggestions?
    Its got a leak or you have a fitting leaking.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye pittsburgh paPosts: 473
    well my tracker has been a tank. i have basically used it as a street legal A.T.V. But today i noticed my first problem. well actually last week while driving down this one road i heard a sound that sounded like a hammer hit the underneath of my frame. i thought nothing of it. i thought maybe it was just a rock or something that bounced up and hit me underneath. well today while driving home i heard that sound 4 times in 20 miles. i got worried and pulled over. found nothing hanging down etc. i got home jacked up the front end and discovered that the right front wheel spins freely, but not the left! also with my hands at the 12-&-6 o'clock position i noticed the tire moved (IN & OUT)it felt like when your wheel bearings go bad. i took off the tire and disassembled everything to get to the bearings Except, i could not get this round smooth locking fastern off. I guess it must require a special chevy tool or something. "go figure" needless to say i had to call the dealer, and it is going in the shop this coming Wednesday. I told them it HAS to be fixed b4 Thurs A.M. Because Thursday @ 9am i have another appointment at the same dealer for my tracker. but this is for my P.O.S. aftermarket cruise-control that never seemed to work correctly!!! but this time it completely failed. It kills me to take it to the dealer. Because there is a great foreign salvage yard that ONLY works on foreign cars. and they are REAL pro's too. they have worked on my parents toyota pervia and saved them thousands over the years. and we NEVER had to come back for the same problem twice. But in this case i needed my tracker find a.s.a.p or b4 thursday. lol btw my tracker is a 1999 2-door 2.0ltr 53,000 miles
    one thing that i have heard and seen 1st hand is dealers HATE to do warranty work. "no money involved" the manufacture only pays a flat rate and thats that. No extra money to be made. I recently had my 2002 Kawasaki vulcan 800 classic in the shop for warranty carb work. they "claimed" they torn the carb apart and totally cleaned it. Man that was Bull.! it acted the same way. My scooter was at the shop for 11 days. and nothing was done to it. so i torn it apart, and found all kinds of dirt in the carb, and check this out, even grass!!! a vacuum line came off and sucked all of that into the carb. well i ripped it apart and completely cleaned everything out. and since i had it all apart i order a jet kit and am going to re-jet the carb for my new exhaust pipes. but to the point, dealer hate warranty work. btw i have friends who have worked at chevy dealers, and they complained about the same thing. "NO money to be made on warranty work". And in my case it was a shame that i had to do the work myself to have it done correctly, and NOT have my scooter at a shop for half a month or more!

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/arkainzeye
    I was told that the Sidekicks/Trackers (the pre 99's models) had a recurring problem with the clutches on the manual transmission models. It seems that no matter how many times you fix it, the clutch continues to give problems over time. It has been a year since I had the linkage under the dash replaced on my '98 JX Sport, but it's doing the same thing again. I took it to my mechanic, and he did the same thing he did first last year: adjust the clutch. The clutch pedal is now a considerable amount higher than the brake pedal, just like it was last year. I was told that if I took it to a Suzuki dealer, they might be able to fix it for good...but I'm planning on trading it off within the next week or so. Overall, I have really liked my Sidekick. It has performed well for me, but it has had numerous problems. One of which was the rear end went out on it at 34,000 miles, and left me car-less for 3 months. After that, it's been just little things, however the clutch was no picnic last year. The replacement I have chosen is a '99 Ford Explorer XLS, with 32k miles. My Suzuki currently has 55,800 miles on it.
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Posts: 131
    Well, I managed to sell my 1999 Tracker 2.0L automatic 4x4 80,000km truck for $10,000 Cdn. within 5 days of posting first ad! Had purchased for $25,000 new 4 years ago. Somewhat happy about this. Truck served its purpose and on to a minivan!

Happy truckin...
    quick question for anyone with a 1999 tracker or newer. how do you take on and off the center cap on the alum wheels? i am now missing one. and was wondering how it came off.
  • m45guym45guy Posts: 42
    My '99 Grand Vitara JLX+, 5-speed, Tracker clone, has been pretty bullet-resistant, but the pinion gear cracked, which just blows my mind, as that, to me, is like an anvil in a sturdy sort of way. I mean, the thing is the size of your fist, and solid steel....

Thought it was a U-joint, initially, as it sounded just like that. But after spinning the wheels with the driveshaft disconnected, my stomach sank. I really didn't want to have to yank the axles, and whatnot.

Anyway, replacement of the whole diff w/a new one from a guy here in OR, was only $267, shipped, and I managed to replace the whole thing with a socket wrench, a 12MM and a 14MM, socket, a 12 and 14MM open end wrench, and some pooky. Oh, 'pooky' is sealant. Southern thing. Floor jack was nice to get the new diff up in place.

FWIW, a rebuild at a local shop was quoted at $600. Shop around. Turns out, on EBay, there were some of these same diffs going for $99. Live and learn.

Anyway, if you wind up with a bad U-joint clunking at low speed, which lasts for months, it could be a pinion gear. Seems to be a weak spot, as another guy said, "this is a problem on some of them". Go figure.

Kelly B
    orange dials blew the M45 off my wish list...
    they can only come off when the wheel is off, least on the aluminum wheels. If you have the 'luminum wheels, and it's gone, it might have broken. Bummer.

Kelly B
    '99 Suzuki GV JLX+, 5-speed, cheap little mountain goat
    I'm new to *this* Tracker/Vitara list, so I should share some info. Seems there are some off-roaders, and DIY'ers here, which is good, IMHO. ;-)

If you need new tires, and want something which has at least *some* off-road traction, look at BFG AT/ko's. Not cheap, but I've got 245/70/16's on mine, and I'll take it anywhere, without hesitation. I am going to go down in size to a 225/75/16, as I get a bit of rubbing both front and back, which is more annoying than anything.

Does your steering wheel shake while on the freeway? You've probably had the tires balanced a few times, and it's *still* there. Problem is, the toe spec for these machines is -0-. Neat, in concept, but under load, like when going forward, that -0- toe becomes a slight toe-out condition, and you're feeling the wheels occilating. Easily fixable, just dial a half a turn of toe-in on each tie-rod end. Have to do each side equally, or you'll have a crooked steering wheel. Fixes the funky inside edge tire wear, too, FWIW.

Finally, if you want a *cheap* lift, the urethane spring spacers for a Jeep TJ fit this machine. For $60, you can get either a 3/4" or 1 3/4" lift, all four corners. I tried the bigger one, and wound up cutting my spacers down, as the suspension contantly 'topped out', and it gave me a wicked headache. I've got only the rears installed, as I don't have a spring compressor handy.

Just some tips from a list newbie.

Kelly B
    '99 GV JLX+, not abused regularly enough....
    I bought a replacement center cap for my left fron wheel. iti s the one with the little Gold Chevy logo. mY MOUTH DROPPED when i see the price on them things. $66 after tax.. and it is the weakiest plastic i think i ever seen. I looked at the parts guy and said. Now come on how can you guys justify $66 for this. and he knodded. So then i priced the ZR2 fender flares. and they are $85 for each wheel "not installed". I Would install them myself, but still. the aftermarket part guy said he would sale them to me for $55 becuase of all the problems i have had over this past year with my Aftermarket cruise control. I had the CC for 11 and now they have to replace the whole thing. that CC cost close to $400 !!!
    No kidding! I feel your pain, the differential I had to replace, if I'd had to buy it from the dealer, would have run me $1500, and that's *not* installed. I did it myself, and found a new one for a Sidekick, which has the identical part, for $267, delivered. If I'd wanted to play roulette, there were some on EBay for $99.

Kelly B
    '99 JLX+, 53K, not bad for a cheap car
    you said you replaced your differential? I;m not clear on this. but was it was whole front axle? cause on my 1999 chevy tracker that i purchased used. i seen the repair work that the dealer did to it. and they mentioned about replacing the front differential. but they got a used one from a salvage yard. they used one from a 2000 model and that had 15k less miles then my tracker at that time. I have had no problems with it ever. the diff i mean. I heard 99 wasn't a good year for the tracker in a few areas. espeically the 5-speed trany!!
    I just typed a great big huge post, and for some reason when I clicked on "post my message", it logged me out and erased everything I said. I had a lot of useful information in that post, but it took me half an hour to type it all, so I won't be typing it again. Whats up moderators?? Why did it do this to me?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,255
    I haven't heard any other complaints about our server hiccupping today, 1badsidekick, but it's still early.

Try going back in your browser; often you can return to the screen where you typed your message and can then copy the text into your clipboard and try again.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

thats what I did, I clicked back and it had erased it all. Oh well, one of these days I'll take the time to type it in again! Thanks for trying!
    First, let me say this is on a V-6 *Grand* Vitara, so it's likely equipped with the same diff, but the extra power might be just a tad too much for it. It's the same diff which was in the Sidekicks of old, so it hasn't changed, in a while.

Mine was the *rear* diff, not hard to replace, really, just daunting to consider/look at. I replaced just the 'pumkin' part, got one for $267, shipped, from a guy down in Eugene, OR.

Turns out, the cracked pinion was one of the 'common' <eye roll> problems with the GV/Tracker. I've been lucky, otherwise, only an air-bag sensor going wacky below 38F, a hood squeak which I'm not convinced I've finally fixed (haven't heard it in a couple of weeks, though), and *horrible* resale value. It's really a good little moutain goat, and the nice thing is, because I don't really care too much about it, the big pine tree dent above the LR passenger door adds 'character'. ;-)

Kelly B
  • My sister has a Red/Silver tracker LT, nice little truck and she loves it. One thing i don't understand is why the Grand Vitara seems to be better equipped. Deep tint windows, gold lettering, fog lights. Does anyone know, i was on gmbuypower and saw that for 2003 you can get deep tint windows on a tracker, $150 option, even on LT.
    The rig started life as a suzuki model and this is how chevy got into the small SUV market with minimal investment
    Also, suzuki may equip it differently than the trakcer so as to enhance marketability.
    i think the suzuki comes stardard with power windows and locks. and I am not sure but i think when i was looking for my tracker a few years ago. One of them you could get cruise control on and one you could NOT. (2-door model only) I remember looking and thinking. why would i buy the chevy when the suzuki comes with more for less! But then i found a used tracker loaded for way cheap...
  • For 2004 the few trackers that are probably made will actually have a standard V6. Also the 2dr. will be discontinued.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Posts: 251
    comes the equinox? Isn't that what it's called? I believe that it is slated to replace the tracker.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    It's based on the Saturn Vue and folks are discussing it in the Chevrolet Equinox topic.

tidester, host
  • idntnvuidntnvu Posts: 251
    Thanks tidester. It's a good looking SUV, but I'm set with my explorer now. 5 more years to go!
  • frenchcarfrenchcar Posts: 247
    Have any of you had a Tracker with steering so loose it feels like it isnt attached. Not much play in the wheel, tracks straight, new tires and proper air. Feels like the PS is overboosted or maybe worn tie rod ends, loose wheel bearings or a steering gear out of adjustment or worn out. IT GETS DIFFICULT AND DANGEROUS AT HIGH SPEEDS. HELP Any ideas or experience withthis problem?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,255
    I can take a guess and link you to a post, but it sounds like you need to limp to your mechanic asap.

cschapin Oct 2, 2002 10:35am

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Something is seriously wrong here......get it looked at ASAP.
  • frenchcarfrenchcar Posts: 247
    I have an appointment set up with a Suzuki mechanic/alignment man. My 95 is actually a Sidelick 4 door 4x4 but similar to a Tracker. I have owned 4 of these vehicles over the years and road tested probably 15 of them, both 2wd and 4wd and sticks and automatics. Those without power steering handle better but are a bear to park. Those with power steering are sometimes erratic or squirrly and often feel over boosted. Air pressure that is too high, wrong size tires can really change the feel and I have only driven a couple that actually feel similar to other vehicles. I still love them inspite of the quirkiness. The 205x75x15 tire size is actually a huge tire for such a lightweight (2600 lb) vehicle with a load range of 97 which equals 1610 pounds per tire and they call for 23 pounds air pressure. A Dodge Grand Caravan at 4000 pounds will use this same size tire and call for 32 pounds. Most Tracker owners run far too much air which upsets the ride and handling. I usually run 26 and see some improvement since I lowered it to 23 and I am willing to bet that 20 pounds would work even better for these lightweight vehicles. I now wonder if someone added a power steering pump to a manual steering gear. HAVE ANY OF YOU EXPERIMENTED WITH AIR PRESSURE OR TIRE TYPE AND SIZE?