Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• d3gcd3gc Posts: 3
    good idea, i will do that, but it doesnt turnover at all
  • Hey guys, I have been reading all the posts here and went out and bought a soft top tracker. I have a 88 suzuki samurai that I drive about everyday. I have had a 98 jeep wrangler with a six and I like the jeep. But the Tracker even with the four cylinder is alot more fun to drive I think. The Trackers handling is very sharp and the ride is soft. I like that the Trackers back
    seats can fold flat with room. And the Tracker gets great miles per gallon also. I sold the stock tires that were on there and put on some BFG tires on there and it handles great on the road and off. I've got 11k miles on the clock and hope to last as long as my samurai. Track on!!
  • I am wondering if anyone has towed a small tent camper?? You know like a coleman tent camper?? Can I tow a small coleman tent camper with a two door 2.0 four cyl. soft top? And would I need to put the transmissing in the power mode?? Thanks
  • Does anyone make a bike rack for the soft top tracker? I'd like one that will work with the spare tire and not have to get a trailer hitch to have a bike carrier.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye pittsburgh paPosts: 473
    There isn’t an amsoil plant in pa. So unless that person told everyone to purchase that oil from HIM, then why would he be working for them? If you found oil that is Not regularly availably in stores would you tell others about it? anyways mobil1 is perfect for your engine. 5w30 is good 0w30 is better if you live in colder area. btw there is a whole hell of alot more to oil than just it's viscosity there are additive packages, and the list goes on. The are also other better oils than mobil1. but you won't be able to go to kmart and purchase them. amsoil being only 1 of them. there is redline,schaffers etc etc. Hell in my 99 tracker i use 5w30 Deisel oil 100 synth of course. and this is only part of the reason why i use this oil.
    Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil resists breakdown from heat, blowby chemicals and oxygen up to ten times longer than do conventional oils,
     Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil resists forming sludge and varnish deposits, which contribute to corrosion, decreased fuel efficiency and increased engine wear.
    Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil remains fluid at temperatures as low as-60° F
    Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil's higher VI provides a better protective film at higher temperatures than conventional SAE 40 oils, while remaining fluid at subzero temperatures.. and the list goes on. But this is just what i use. I look beyond the store bought shelves. Also don't forget a High Quality oil filter. no frams.. lol
  • mopar67mopar67 Posts: 728
    I believe your rig can tow 1500 lbs however I know this is for the 4 door models. CHeck your owner's manual for the exact limits of your rig's towing ability.
    ur right mopar67 1500lbs for 4-door and for mine 2-door 1000lbs
  • d3gcd3gc Posts: 3
    it blew a fuse, dont know why, allz fine now.

where can i get a manual (or something cheaper) for my '95 sidekick?
  • Does anyone make a bike rack for the soft top tracker? I'd like one that will work with the spare tire and not have to get a trailer hitch to have a bike carrier.
    i seen bike racks b4 on the 2-door tracker. they used the spare to hold the weight. I'm not sure how it mounted. but i see it done
  • I'm looking for someone with a '98 Tracker or Sidekick with automatic transmission that could tell me what RPM you're turning at: 55MPH and 65 MPH. Thanks.
  • Second week driving my '03 Tracker LT and love it! When I read the various "professional" reviews, however, the Tracker is almost invariably poorly reviewed and rated. This car is definitely NO lemon! What are your thoughts on this???

Also, I notice when the heat is on for the legs on the passenger side, only the passenger's left leg is warmed. Anyone else notice this or is something wrong?

Thanks
    the heater output duct is under the IP right over the trans tunnel running to the firewall. Most vehicles are constructed this way.

These rigs are very tough and well made, the rags seem to think that unless you have all wheel drive or a unibody design that you're not making a "state of the art" vehicle.
  • Hey folks, it's me again with the same question. Anybody out there with a '98 Tracker/Sidekick with automatic transmission want to tell me what RPM you're reading at 55 MPH and at 65 MPH? I had a '96 Tracker with the 3L30 three speed automatic which is direct drive in top gear. I think the '98s have the 03-72LE four speed automatic which is overdrive in top gear. Want to know if that gives the little beast a better cruising speed configuration.
    Lastnight while driving my 1999 2-door 2.0 tracker, I noticed the speedometer wouldN't go above 25mph. "stuck" i hit the clear plastic covering a few times. NO luck. then as i went faster it stayed at 25mph. So i hit it again. And this time it went to 35mph. but i was clearly doing faster than 35. so i went to the store came back out started it up, hoping it was just a electrical issue and would be gone when i restarted. But NOPE it was still there. so i went 65mph and hit the covering hard.. "at this time i was getting upset" then all the sudden it worked.. I hope this will Not be a sign of what is yet to come with this speedo... has anyone ever had a problem like that b4? I hope my speedo is not going back.. i could only imagine what that would cost!
  • I believe on my 2004 Tracker with auto trans. my engine is turning over about 2500 rpm at 65 mph.
  • Over the holidays I got a chance to go off-roading in my 03 two-door tracker and it was a blast. I have found a long sand bar (beach) by a river and was playing in the sand. Never got stuck and the sand was deep in some spots. I had even jumped the tracker and never bottemed out the shocks. Great truck. I do wish that it had more power with the auto sometimes.
    Does anyone know how hard this would be to install? I am very interested in these rear end lockers. this past weekend in the snow my rear-end wanted to break traction. The tracker went very well in the snow. but i feel it could only go better with something like this... take a look at this link and scroll down.. i was shocked at the cheap price too...

http://www.rocky-road.com/kickdrive.html
    since Thursday i have heard a noise when i drive. to me it sounded like when a tire is almost flat. well i couldn't find anything wrong. then TODAY i was driving and the noise got louder so i pulled over. and to my surprise i found rear oil all over my inside of the passenger Rear wheel. I called a local shop that my g/f knows and they are going to tow it and look on it on Monday. he told me to check the pumpkin to see if i had any fluid left. and luckily i did! thank god. but anyways, any one else had a issue like this b4.? i had another wheel bearing fail on me in June. but this one was the front drivers side. and just the bearing alone was $180!
  • Oil in the inside wheel?? How are the breaks?? could it be the break Line?? Or a bearing on the end of the axle shaft?? Let us know what you find out
    i didnt get the tracker back yet. but they said i chewed up a bearing and the oil seal was shot. and that is why differental oil was leaking into the rear drum brake. Just this summer i replaced the drivers side front bearing ($179 a BEARING!) but the reason i dont have my tracker back yet, is because they had a hard time finding the parts for it. they had to Order everything. Because no one really stocks them parts for trackers. I must admit i am afraid to see the repair bill. i know they had to pull thge axle Out in order to replace the bearing
  • is this the only trouble that you have had with your Tracker?? Just the bearings?? I have a 03 soft top Tracker (auto) and I love it. I am wanting to know how deep in the water have you been in? I wonder if you go in water too deep (to the bottom of the door), Will it wear out the bearings?? And a question about the auto transmission, how and when should you service the transmission? Do I just drain the tranny fluid and refill? I have 12 thousand miles on my Tracker now. Good luck with you truck arkainzeye
    as far as the trany service i read it is 100,000 miles but i have done mine a few times and i only have 57,000 you Don;t need to replace the filter each time either. I do my auto trany filter every other time. CHevy wants it changed at 100K miles. as for the bearing issue i got my tracker back today. this is my 2nd set of bearing in 6 months. (different wheels) 1st time was drivers front. this time it was passenger rear. it cost me $317.55 that was with the bearings, new seal and some kind of holder. + Only $100 labor.. this time i didn't go to the stealer i went to a small local garage. I knew the smaller garage would be alot cheaper on labor. I am now going to expect the other 2 wheel bearing to go also. I have driven my tracker in water up to the bottom of the door. But i only did that twice. other than that i do off-road and mostly go on rough terrain like rocks and what not. I must admit i am a little shocked to be eatting these bearing so quickly with only 57k miles. And whats bad is these bearing are expensive too! so in 3-6 months if another bearing or 2 goes bad i will not be surprised.
  • We are looking at the '04 Tracker with 2.5V6 vs. the '03 Tracker with the 1.8L 4 cyl. Test drove both today. Price of '03 was almost $2000 less that the '04. V6 had more power and seemed to have a more quiet ride. Any experience out there? I would assume that mileage would be better with the 4 cyl but is it appreciable?
    an 03 tracker, the base engine is a 2.0 four cylinder engine.
  • You're correct. It is 2.0 4 cyl on the '03. I got it confused with another vehicle we drove yesterday. It doesn't seem that 0.5 L would make that much of a difference.?????????
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    It doesn't seem that 0.5 L would make that much of a difference.?????????

Would a 25% increase in your salary make much of a difference? That's the same percentage difference in displacement we're talking about here.

tidester, host
    plus you are talking about more than just size. you are also talking about a in-line engine verses a V engine. V = more torque, which = more pulling power and towing ability. theres alot more to it than just a number.
  • draven3draven3 Posts: 10
    I have a 03 soft top tracker with the 2.0 and I love it. It is everything that I need and want. It is a soft top that is quite, it gets good gas mileage and it is a four wheel drive. And the Tracker handles well also.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    Good overall SUV: 2.0L I4

More ruggedness and flair: 2.5L V6 <<more power :)