Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• First off I am re-posting my former statement about Tracker and my website link.

NOTE TO STEVE: I have removed the one profane word from my site and link, everything else is clean and the truth, so please do not delete this again. I am trying to muster up help or advice in this situation, ok?

Here is my link to my problem with GM http://mattyrealm.tripod.com/gmsucks/

Now to answer the questions about problems with the Tracker from an earlier post on this page. The ticking noise is probably either something minor in the engine, valve lift adjustors, or even simpler, a loose sparkplug(s). I change out the spark plugs on my 99 and found that a couple of them were very loose, causing the ticking noise.

The pulley thing unfortunately does not go away, believe me I have replaced the pulley a couple of times to no avail and I live here in the North where it gets cold and that sound happens when I start the engine.

The transmission thing is a classic problem with the 99 and 00 models, even without that problem it is a slush box and really sucks. Though I had thought only people with 4X4's were having that problem.

Read my site to find out about all the problems I have had with my vehicle and why GM is a very bad, unethical company.

Also, you force them to give you an extended GMPP warranty on your rig, because the transmission problem is hard to fix and you do not want the 4000 dollar cost of putting in a new transmission.

Good luck and email me if I can be of more assitance.

MT

• npgmbrnpgmbr Posts: 248
    For those of you that are interested, it looks like the Tracker will be replaced by 2005.

http://www.auto.com/industry/gm14_20020814.htm

• zeke707zeke707 Posts: 74
    Any comments or suggestions regarding the various hard tops available for 2dr Tracker/Vitara? How is fit and finish, ease of installation, sound deadening qualities, price, etc.
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Posts: 149
    Please read my post #580
  • Hi Y'all ...

My wife's 1999 Tracker 4x4 with auto tranny and approx 40,000 miles on the odometer just had the "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" message show on her dash. It has been a couple of days now and will not go away.

Have any of you experienced this? What was the root cause?

Thnaks in advance.
  • mopar67mopar67 Posts: 728
    Seriously.
    THe EPA allows a very narrow window of emission operations. ANything from a misfiring plug to a lazy o2 sensor to a loose gas cap can cause this.
    Basically, the computer has logged a trouble code in its memory and you'll need a scanner to read it out and thereby be able to diagnos what is wrong.
  • ... including a money grab for Generous Motors :.(
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye pittsburgh paPosts: 473
    An check engine light is usually an Emissions item. Try these few things b4 you go to the shop.
    1) make sure your gas cap is on Tight.
    2) check to see OR just replace the PVC valve ($1.99).
    3) put a "good" fuel Injector cleaner in your gas tank on fill-up.

my old co-worker had a 1994 ranger and it ALWAYS had it;s engine light on. it has been on for years. So i told him to let me take quick look at it. well i noticed that his PVC valve was clogged. "you can tell that by shaking it" it should rattle. so we changed it for around $2-$3.
    And wouldn't you know, the check engine light went OFF. And hasn't been back on. He never had it checked out for fear that it was something BIG and costly.. and all this time it was something so small.
    That sounds interesting. but for me the Whole reason why i bought the chevy tracker vs. honda, toyota etc etc, was because of it being built o a Truck frame and with it having a "TRUE" 4x4 system. Now if my 1999 chevy tracker was built like the way they want to build this Equinox, then i wouldn't buy it. I would be forced to go with a over priced, under optioned Jeep. Now i have nothing against jeep, other than their Lack of options or how they come standard with practically Nothing. Jeeps are great for off road. But my tracker goes just about anywhere. Today i followed my friends in my tracker, and they were riding ATV's and they kept laughing and saying. I can't believe where that little thing goes! Mine is a 4x4-2door so that Small wheel base helps out ALOT! but when i'm not crawling over rocks or splashing thur mud, i enjoy the Trackers feature, (a/c, 4 speed auto trany etc etc.) So i guess when it's time to get something else, i may be a Jeep person. To me a SUV is NOT a car with big tires. When i think SUV, i think all-terrain, multi-purpose vehicle. And that is what our trackers are now. Truck frame , "true 4x4.
  • mopar67mopar67 Posts: 728
    to a petition you can sign and send to Suzuki to convince them to keep making full framed Vitaras(same as tracker)
  • Sorry for the dumb question but what's a PVC valve, what's its function in life and where do I find it?
    PCV Valve
    The process of combustion forms several gases and vapors; many of them quite corrosive. Some of these gases get past the piston rings and into the crankcase. If left in the crankcase, these substances would cause all kinds of bad things (rust, corrosion, and formation of sludge), so they have to be removed. Back in the old days, they used to be dumped out into the atmosphere through a tube. Once we realized what a problem pollution was in the sixties, the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system was developed to take the place of the old "dump tube." The PCV system uses a hose connected between the engine and the intake manifold to draw these gases out of the engine's crankcase and back into the cylinders to burn with the regular fuel. The only problem to solve is how to keep these gases from going willy-nilly into the manifold and upsetting the required air-fuel ratio. The solution to this problem is the PCV valve. The PCV valve controls the release of crankcase gases and vapors to the intake manifold. The valve is kept closed by spring action when the engine is at rest. When the engine is running normally, the low vacuum it creates allows the valve to open and release crankcase vapors and gases into the intake manifold for burning. If the engine is idling or you are slowing down, the vacuum level rises and pulls the valve plunger into the valve opening. This partially blocks off the opening so that only a small amount of vapors and gases can be drawn into the intake manifold. One really comforting feature of the PCV valve is its behavior in the event of a backfire. If your car backfires in the manifold, the pressure makes the spring close the valve completely. With the valve closed, there is no chance that the flame can move into the crankcase and cause an explosion.

Now i am not sure if your trackers owners manual will have a picture of a pcv valve or not. but the best thing i can say at this point would be. It is on the valve cover. and towards the rear of the engine. If you still aren;t sure go to your local autoparts store and they probably would be happy to show you where yours is..
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Posts: 61
    Dave, Chris just gave you the best description of the history and function of the PCV valve that you will find anywhere. If you are still interested in knowing more about a PVC valve however, ask the clerk in the plumbing section of your local hardware store. (See your post #592, Chris.) When you drive a Tracker, you have to have a sense of humor. Thanks, guys.
    Lol i knew someone would comment on that. 8)
  • I would like to know from where I can get the part number for the 2001 Tracker LT rims and center caps? Thanks
    Why not stop at a Chevrolet dealer, go to the parts department, and ask them???????
  • ...they ordered the incorrect caps and told me to get the part number from my new rims. I guess they don't know how to perform their job. Guess what??? I'm not buying a GM product ever again. If you find that part number let me know.
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Posts: 248
    Nice, but looks like it won't be a replacement afterall. Too bad it took them so damd long.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/stories/020904sp.html
  • I recently purchased a 2002 Chevy Tracker. Immediately I noticed that when it rained I get water leaking around the door. The water collects on the plastic cover of the rocker panels and then drips onto the carpeting. This happens on all four doors. The dealer replaced all the weather stripping but to no avail. Water is still coming in the door and onto the rocker panel. Is anyone else having this problem? The dealer admitted to me that they tested several other vehicles on the lot for the water problem and found the same thing happen.
    auntie,
    I have had a 2002 Tracker 4dr LT for about 7 months and have gone thru a car wash on a weekly basis since inception. {I live in Florida} and it rains cats and dogs down here all summer long and never had one leak.
    I doubt very much if your dealer "tested" the other Trackersand they "all"leaked.If the weather stripping replacement did not solve the problem, perhaps the doors are misaligned? This is "not" a normal problem and I suggest you call the dealer again, complain, and if not corrected, call the district mgr., or whoever.No car should leak at all four doors....not even a Kia or YUGO. {Well, maybe the YUGO}.
    I check the Suzuki club and follow all the Tracker posts and have not seen one complaint about all four doors leaking, let alone one door leaking.