Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• idntnvuidntnvu Posts: 251
    You might try Ebay. They have everything you can think of on there. Are you looking for a hard or soft cover?
  • vixivixi Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Ford Edge extended cab with 27,000K that I am looking to trade-in on a Tracker 2WD/4 door, with 24,000K. I am getting approx. 15/16 mpg with the Ford. I'm being offered a straight across trade valuing both vehicles around 12,000. With the Tracker being discontinued I'm worried about the trade-in value I'll get in 4 or so years. I'm looking for some advise...should I trade in my Edge for the Tracker?
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye pittsburgh paPosts: 473
    trade in value was never to great for a tracker. Even though they are great and strong runners. they are in many ways like metric motorcycles. Very well built, but low on the resale value.
  • I currently own a 2004 4dr LT model Chevy Tracker. Upon consulting with GM, CAMI and a local auto installer, I was told that a sunroof would not be recommended to install.

Has anyone had any success in having a sunroof placed in a 4dr Chevy Tracker?

Feel free to reply to trentsmith81@hotmail.com
  • carlscarls Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 tracker 2.0 it has worked flawlesly. the first set of plugs i replaced around 35,000 they did look worn i replaced them w/bosch plats. now at 67,000 i replaced them again these looked great but i don't like to go longer than 30-35k. is there a rotor to replace? if there is i cant find it myself thanks
    carl
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Feel free to reply to ******@hotmail.com

Feel free to stick around and participate in the discussion which, afterall, is the purpose of message boards. Invitations to email defeat that purpose. I'm sure others would like to know the answers to your question.

tidester, host
    No rotor. it is digital. I like the bosch plugs also. i've tried a few different versions. I wanted NGK plugs but they are hard to find..
  • Have a 2000 Tracker. About six months ago the lights (interior & exterior) began blinking. Not going completely off but dimming and going bright again in rapid succession. After a little while it stops and lights are fine again. Occurences of this are random, sometimes won't happen for days, other times happens two or more times within an hour trip. Of course did not happen while at the shop so no diagnosis. Anybody else experience this? Any ideas as to cause?
  • mopar67mopar67 Posts: 728
    has coil on plug ignition. The only thing "digital" about it is the SMFI system.
    isnt the timing digital? digitally controlled?
    these days. The PCM uses digital algorithms to track and respond to inputs from the various sensors. The PCM also has the ability to compensate for engine wear by "learning" (which is why it can be flashed with new firmware) different input values and calculating the optimum injector pulse width and spark advance.

Digital means no more or less......its like saying "wet" water vs "dry" water.
    so it is digital then? I can't think of any newer car that isn't digital, in terms of fuel dilvery and ignition. My motorcycle is all digital. these trackers are pretty cool as far as their technology is concerned. when i bought my 1999 2-door tracker (4x4) i never knew it had coil-pack in place of spark plug wires. double steel timing chain. which is self adjusting. high Quailty struts, along with other great features, frame, 4x4 system etc. i bought it used for $10k. and it has been well worth it. i've driven when they called for a state of emergency "winter". it went through the snow like nothing. the tires did help.. B.F.Goodrich all-terrains.... i love these tires. this coming feb they will be 3 YEARS old. and still have more than 70% of their tread left and recently passed inspection!

http://groups.msn.com/NationalRegistryParamedic/samsnewride.msnw?- action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=228
    sure do look good on your rig.
    i think it gives the tracker Not only the best traction it can. But it gives the tracker a more "truck" look. instead of the car look. the trend is squared on the edges. I can not talk enough about these tires. i am still in shock that they will be 3 Years old this feb. and the traction in snow is truly unreal! and water traction is the best i ever had also. i was worried about how a off-road type tire would handle on the road and during heavy rain. i have never hydro planed "yet". when it is time for a new set of tires. i will be purchasing these again! not only unblieveable wet and dry traction, but longer life than i ever hoped for...
  • haven't posted in a long while. Still have my 01 4dr 4wd Tracker with about 63k. Check engine light came on, diagnosed as the heater portion of both oxygen sensors. My mechanic said don't worry, it only effects the first 2 minutes during warm up, though my gas mileage is down a bit. These sensors are expensive, around $125 each, easy enough to put in with a special socket (about $20). Anyone have experience with these sensors?

Received NGK platinums from sparkplugs.com, claim to be good for 80k miles

Had BFGoodrich AT, great tire, all I got was 30k miles with no mileage warranty. Bought Sumutomo HTR Sport 6 ply with 50k mile warranty, not quite as beefy tread. Not a whole lot of choice in LT series in 215/75/15 in AT tread especially with a mileage warranty.
  • Hello.......i have a 96 suzuki sidekick sport with the 16 inch wheels......would like to change these to 15 inch and put on bigger tires........will the 15 inch wheels off a Tracker fit on my vehicle? If so will any year fit or do i have to get specific ones?
    i think you can find detailed info on the bolt patterns and distance between the bolts.. i remember i looked this up one time when i had a ford ranger. i wanted aftermarket wheels.. if i was you and you didnt yet have 15 wheels. i would go with aftermarket wheel.. cause stock wheel, even if you get them from a junk yard are insanely expensive. I had slightly damage wheel, and the replacement for it at the stealer was $385 a piece! junk yards wanted something in the $200+ a piece... where as you can go to a pep-boys or another place and get a whole set of wheels for $300 give or take a few $$$ then you add the distance of your 16 with the tire on it. and then add up what a over sized 15 would be and match them up. it would work. might be a little expensive at first from including the wheels. but it would look nice..
    i had this fear since the day i bought my used 1999 (2-door) tracker.. someone broken into my tracker this past weekend.. and it being a softtop made it so much easier for them. all they did was unzip one of the side windows and unlocked my door.. they got $7 in change and a expensive cell phone. I look at it like this. It's my fault! i shouldn't of left it out in clear site.. i got what i asked for. I've owned this tracker for 3 years this week.. and i think i just got to comfy and forgot about the dangers of a softtop. at least they opened it instead of slashing it! so i re-install my factory rear security "door/hatch", and now I will not be so forgetful.. 8(
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,251
    Bummer; maybe one of those locking consoles like the Wrangler folks get should be in your list for Santa?

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I had a 2001 Tracker LT 4x4 for about 4 years with 51,000 miles. I bought it new then and had no problems so far, except with 2 tire punctures (one was caused by a broken beer bottle, and the other by a piece of metal chip.) Just plain unlucky. I still have the original tires, but I am now thinking about getting some new tires, preferably with good snow traction, but dont really want to get snow tires. Any suggestions on all-season tires or all-terrain tires? How much should I spend on them?
    Those BF Goodrich all-terrains look great!

I think Chevy stops making the Tracker in 2005. That's sad.

Thanks in advance for your input.
    my B.F. increased road noise a little bit. but i also have a softtop... the traction with the BF's are truly amazing! i wont use anything else on my tracker. if you look at tirerack.com you can review all types of tires. the B.F. AT's scored the best for all around traction. plus they even look great. the rain traction of these tires are also impressive. I've gone places with my B.F.G tires that makes peoples heads shake.. i;ve gone through water to the point where it started to come in the door.. and in mud and rock they are more than i expected
  • I have a '03 Tracker Convertible (base) with 18k miles and just recently upgraded from the stock 15x5.5 195/75-15 Goodyear Wrangler ST to 16x8 235/60-16 Kumho Ecsta HP4 716. Of course mine is a street cruiser, so I didn't have the need for off-road tires. The Kumhos are very quiet, even more so than the stinky Wranglers.

The offset will play a huge difference in what will fit. In my case, I needed -6 offset to clear the calipers.

Here are some pics for those interested:
    <http://www.cardomain.com/id/keith_757>
    i was just wondering. did you have any issues in making sharp turns? any rubbing?
  • Thank you for your input.

After reading your suggestion and doing some research online, I have had 4 BF Goodrich All-Terrains installed on my 2001 Tracker LT. They are truely wonderful and look great. We have had some snow here and they performed admirably. A definite upgrade from the stock Goodyear Integrity tires. Of course, the BFs are truck tires while the Integritys are for passenger cars. The BFs have a bit more road noise, but they worth it. We haven't had heavy snow, but I am pretty confident that they will do well.
    this coming FEB my BF a/t tires will be 3 years ago! still have alot of tread on them also. I love my BF-all terrains. when i need tires, i WILL get another set of them babies! and you are right there is a slight increase in road noise.. but what you gain in return is well worth it. they really grip!
  • sorry for the delay is getting back to you (#987). No, no rubbing at all. With this style, "-6" is your offset. I have not seen more-positive offsets with an 8 inch wide wheel. They may be around, but it was tough enough getting these to fit. I first tried American Racing Burst, and they fit but the offsets made it impossible unless going to a 15x8 which was a -19 offset. They were doable, but not the look I wanted once I got them on. I drove with them for a mile or two and they were pretty heavy.

Before I left the "Discount Tire" I told the guy to put on both front wheels and I turned from lock to lock and got out to look to make sure I was clear. Now I am an "on-road" vehicle, so I can't comment on what would happen while turnd to a lock and hitting a large bump.
    i think i remember hearing about people with trackers having some air conditioning problems. I believe i may be in the same boat. the other day i tried to turn on my a/c just to see how strong it was, and it wasnt there. in the summer i charged it with 1 can on the r-134a. i did this cause in the summer i thought the a/c was weak. maybe that was just a sign.? anyways. i think i remember people talking about damage to their a/c components? which ones? and is there any type of sealant cans of coolant out there. btw talking anout a 1999 tracker (2.0 engine)
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    You are probably referring to the "crop circle" damage to the a/c condenser. If you have been drafted into this club of victims of poor design, expect a $1,000 repair bill. To see if this is your problem, look through your grill with a flashlight. You may see a donut pattern of smashed fins on the condenser. It is easier to see if you remove the grill. There are quite a few posts regarding this problem in the Vitara Problems & Solutions forum. By the way, I have avoided a repeat problem by installing a car mask when driving in snow and freezing rain. I also removed the rubber stripping between the front fan shroud and condenser and put 1/8 inch thick washers on the mounting brackets between the fan shroud and a/c condenser. Good luck. I hope you haven't been drafted into the club of "crop circle" believers.
    thank you for the extremely quick response!! i havent looked yet to see if i have crop circles. but i would guess i do. since my tracker was the first year they changed. (or messed up) lol i wanted to ask you.. do you know on average what the mileage was for failure of these a/c units. the reason i ask is because i have 67k. also. i wanted to ask i know there isn't alot of softtop owners out there. but this winter i noticed a few little leaks. its towards the rear on the far corners. i only noticed it on very heavy rain. i thought about a Hard top. but they are over $1000. i do plan on keeping this tracker. its been the best car/suv i ever owned.. plus its worth more to me than it is as a resale.. thanks for your help!!
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    IMHO mileage has little to do with the problem. I believe it is caused by using the defroster while driving in freezing rain or snowfall. After disassembling my unit, I realized the electric cooling fan cannot touch the condenser. I believe what happens is that ice builds up on the front of the a/c condenser and the electric cooling fan (which switches on whenever the defroster is turned on)packs it into the fins of the condenser, thus smashing the fins. The design is great for cooling as long as the air is warm and dry. Did GM/Suzuki ever consider that SUV drivers sometimes venture out in the winter?