Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• arkainzeyearkainzeye pittsburgh paPosts: 473
    if it is 4x4, then you would be crazy NOT to jump on that deal.. "b4 someelse does! $20K sounds more like what the price should be. and if you can get it for $13-$14K then run forest run!! lol that is one of the best deals i have ever heard of.
  • mlcollins,
    Here is the deal I can find at my local dealer (Upstate NY):
    Brand new 2002 4x4 4-door ZR2, yellow, v6, cruise, power windows, rack, skid plates, cd, tilt (I believe they are all stardard equipment of the ZR2 trim)
    Price: $15,999

So even though yours is a 2-door model, it seems that it is pretty good deal!

Happy tracker-ing!!
  • mopar67mopar67 Posts: 728
    Sounds like a good deal...go for it...and enjoy the ride.
  • Went to St. John, V.I. and I never saw so many Trackers and Sidekicks in one place. Also Wranglers, for the more well-to-do. The island is mostly undeveloped, thanks to Lawrence Rockefeller, and a trip into the interior hills made me hold my breath a few times, I must admit. The roads are paved, but narrow and real steep in parts, with no switchbacks. Wild goat herds and donkeys hang out, so you need to be alert rounding curves, especially downhill (they don't move until they feel like it). Actually, I rented a Wrangler 'cause I never tried one, left it in 2WD (better traction on paved roads), no top, warm day...what fun.

Thought you guys would like to know that trackers/sidekicks are the most popular cars in this part of the world. I assume the reason is their practical performance and economical operation.
    I took a major hit on the interstate, bent the rim, ruined the tire and made it to FL in one piece!

THese are tough little rigs!
  • We got the 2002 ZR2 tracker for $13,399 I waited untill december 31 to get it but we got it.
    What a nice little ride (4x4,auto,ac,pw,pl,cd,tilt,cruise,delayed wiper)and I bought the extended warranty for it,added expense but worth it I think.I want to get a hard top for it before next winter.
    You will get many years of good service from your rig.
    A co worker owns a 1994 model with 156K on the clock.
    Its still running fine. WIll go anywhere and turn on a dime and give you nine cents worth of change!
  • I brought 2002 tracker and am very disapointed in it. I had a 19994 Ford Explorer I traded in on this. I am having real problems with keeping it on the road when there is high winds. I live in florida and today we had very strong winds. Nearly rolled over. I am wondering if I have bigger tires put on if this would help. I am 75 and am a little afraid to drive when it is windy on highways. Can large tires be put on and if so what is involved. Would appreciate any input. Thanks. Betty
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,047
    Checking the tire pressures to make sure they are at the recommended specs would be a start.

Steve, Host
    never assume that the factory has performed the alignment correctly.
    And, like the previous post, check your tire pressure.
  • Thanks Mopar67- Had the car in and they did alignment and wheel balance. I was having problem with vibrateing also. bjblue111
  • Thanks Steve.
     Had that done. Does not help.
    Thanks
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Posts: 61
    First, the good news. Trackers are more stable in high winds than 1963 VW microbuses. The bad news is that these rigs are light, are rear wheel drive on the highway, have a short wheelbase, have a high center of gravity, and are not very aerodynamic. Larger tires, as in wider and taller, will raise the center of gravity and put the rig up there where it can catch more wind, thus increasing any risk of roll over. Wide low profile tires will add to steering effort and improve cornering traction, thus increasing the roll over risk because the rig will not skid as easily if you take a corner too fast. Wide low profile tires also stiffen the ride, and these rigs already communicate road surface characteristics to the occupants very effectively. The only positive suggestions I can offer short of trading for a FWD or AWD mini-SUV (read all-weather tall little station wagon) or back to a larger, heavier SUV are to avoid using your roof racks (or even better, remove them if you have them) and drive slower in the wind. Trackers are well-built, economical, and maneuverable rigs that excel as off-road SUV's and around town runabouts. They are not designed to be freeway cruisers. If the wind is blowing strong enough to tip over a stationary or slow moving vehicle, is the trip really all that necessary?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Larger tires, as in wider and taller, will raise the center of gravity and put the rig up there where it can catch more wind, thus increasing any risk of roll over.

Just raising the center of gravity doesn't necessarily make a vehicle less stable. It's the ratio of the height of the COG to the width that matters. E.g., H2s have a quite high COG but aren't known for their tendency to rollover. They have a very wide base.

Also, why would a vehicle "catch more wind" merely by being raised? I don't see how an inch or two change in height could have any effect on susceptibility to wind.

tidester, host
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Posts: 61
    I admit that if Betty installs spacers and reverses her rims and adds monster fender flares it would widen the base of her rig and reduce it's roll over risk even if she uses taller tires. I guess it's up to her whether she would like the way her Tracker handles and looks with such a modification. Or she could fasten lead weights under the Tracker's frame to lower the vehicle's center of gravity. Do you have a more practical suggestion as to how she could do this?

In regards to increased height effecting susceptibility to wind, you got me again. I'll have to defer to the auto designers who over the years reduced ground clearance and lowered roof height by only inches and fractions of an inches to supposedly reduce turbulence and improve stability. Could it be that lowering Cd a few points has no real effect? It's all just a marketing farce? Or, I suppose it is indeed very possible that the physics that apply to sedan and sports car aerodynamics don't apply to SUV's, even when SUV's are driven at highway speeds in strong cross winds.

The point is, Trackers do not handle well at highway speeds in strong cross winds. It is inherent in the design. Reasonable modifications to the vehicle will not really resolve Betty's concerns. In fact, modifications she may make to address her concerns about driving in the wind may adversely effect her vehicle's performance under other, more common, driving conditions.

If I am way off base here, give me some answers. I would love to be able to modify an old VW hippie bus so I could drive it through the Columbia Gorge on a groovy day to watch the wind surfers without getting white knuckles and aching biceps.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    For the record - I am Tidester! Steve is my cohost - we are not the same person!

My previous comments were in response to your assertions regarding using larger tires. The change in COG and height resulting from larger tires just isn't that large and I was questioning whether the effect on rollover resistance and susceptibility to wind would be significant.

tidester, host
  • Thank you all for answering my questions. I am a little afraid to go far distances on the highway and am very careful since getting this tracker. I had thought about putting weights inside of back seat and I did not know I could put them on tires. I will look into that. I never thought about the wind making it worse with bigger tires. Thanks again. If I could I would trade it in. I really hate this tracker.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,047
    The tire weights are just small pieces of metal that clamp to the wheels and are used to balance the tires. Sometimes they fall off, so it's a good idea to rebalance the tires periodically. That would be good to check along with your alignment to make sure the Tracker is "tracking" right.

Having loose objects in the back of the car isn't such a great idea since that stuff can fly around if you do have a fender bender. If you decide to go that route, I'd stick with small sandbags and maybe even try to tie them to something back there.

Good luck!

Steve, Host
  • Not to change the subject, but...

I have moved to the Eastern Sierra and am looking to purchase a small, American (but not a ford), four-wheel-drive, gas economical, RELIABLE, vehicle. The Tracker sounded like the perfect car, but, going to Consumer Reports, JD Powers, and Edmunds, they are not impressed with them. I have no way to readily go for a realistic test drive due to my location. I do not do a lot of 'off road' travel, but as you probably know, the snow here can come down very thick and very fast. I wanted good gas mileage because I work for two counties and spend a lot of time on roads that can get very bad very quickly. If the Tracker is not the right car, what is?

Thanks in advance.
    but the tracker IS the right car! NEver mind CR and edmunds, they have their own criteria which may or may not coincide with what you are looking for.
    For the record, here in W PA, trackers, kicks, and vitaras are quite common place. A co worker has a 94 two door soft top. It has 160K on there and still goes. I have seen and ridden in it when it was -10 and 9 inches of snow on the ground and it went right along with no problem Plus, it literally ran me out of there because it was so hot!
    I own a Vitara with 12K on the clock. Bought it new April of 2002. Never had one issue except for a bad alternator. It goes very well in snow too, even with the lousy stock uniroyal tires. However, tires are an easy fix.
    Trackers and Vitaras come with a real 4WD setup. This is much more reliable and less costly to fix than the AWD setups used by other makers of SUVs.
    I would without a doubt recommend you get a tracker or vitara, since they are literally the same rig. Suzuki has a 7 year 100K powertrain warranty so that should alleviate any misgivings you may have about reliability. As stated earlier, there are many trackers here in PA and some look very pristine others have some rust. But all of them are running like champs most over 100K.
    Go with what works best for you.....however, I take issue with Edmunds, CR and JD powers.....as I have real world observations to conclude otherwise.