Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• mopar67mopar67 Posts: 728
    My vitara is a five speed, I test drove the auto and I would totally agree with you its a bit underpowered.
    The five speed gives it much more spunk and is fun to drive too!

I think you will develop a bond with the tracker and never look back.

Remember, these are real suv's with a full frame, true 4wd, and a timing chain, not belt, in the motor.
  • tpfilmtpfilm Posts: 3
    Hey, just to let people know... As of today 5/1/03 you can us your GM card rebates at Saturn. Combine that with the rebates ($3000 on L and $2000 on ION and VUE) and you have a good deal for a car based SUV.
  • cpioncpion Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any problems with their clutch making a sort of creaking sound? This is something that only happens sometimes and the dealer tells me that is a "common problem" with the Trackers! Mine is a 2000 and I just bought it used about 1 month ago and am now stuck with a creaking clutch. Sometimes it is a slight creak and other times it is quite noticeable! It's not something one would want to live with for 5 or more years and they are telling me I have to live with it because even if they change the plastic discs within the clutch mechanism, it would still do it eventually once dust builds up in there. What does anyone think of that??
    Have you examined the linkage under the dash and verified sufficient grease is present? What about the clip holding the pedal assembly to the pivot assembly, is it out of position or bent?

BTW.....with regard to your dealer feeding you that line, tell him go get a brain and read the service manual before dispensing poor advice.
  • infinia1infinia1 Posts: 174
    I had this problem almost from the start when we bought our 01 tracker new. it took the dealer 5 attempts to finally fix it. they replaced bushings, they greased everything, nothing worked. it only squeaked when depressed all the way to the floor. it was the clutch assembly on back of the firewall. dealer said a bolt that holds the assembly in place was loose.
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Posts: 131
    Wife is switching jobs and will get a corporate Ford Windstar. What is resale value for a 1999 Tracker 1.6L 4Door Hardtop with 45,000 miles?
    www.kbb.com for the resale value of your rig.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,025
    You can ask over in Real-World Trade-In Values for a "third" opinion.

Steve, Host
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye pittsburgh paPosts: 473
    i am "guessing" your 1.6l tracker isn't going to be much on the trade in. I couldn't even find on them websites a spot where you could choice the 1.6 engine. I have a 99 and mine is a 2.0l they went to the 2.0 cause the 1.6 was extremely underpowered. Hell people think the 2.0 is underpower. and the 2.0 have 30 more HorsePower than the 1.6l. You do have low mileage though. selling it outright will of course get your more $$$. Good luck!
  • cpioncpion Posts: 2
    I need some advice. I wrote in a while back regarding my creaking clutch in my 2000 Chevy Tracker. Well, the story in short is that I brought it back to the dealership once and they said the clutch just needed to be adjusted, it was good for a couple of days and the creak returned. I brought it back a second time and they then said it was the plastic discs in the clutch mechanism and there was some clutch dust build up in there, which they cleaned out and at that point I was told it was a "common problem with Trackers" and they could not guarantee that it would not return again and if it did, they would not be able to fix it. Well, as you can imagine, the sound returned not long after and I called them back and they said there was nothing more they could do. I spoke to the manager and he said he could only go by what his service dept. told him and asked me to bring it down the next day. I did, but it wasn't making the sound at that time because they had just sprayed lubricant in there two days prior to that, so it was only happening on and off at that point. I told them I would take it to another Chevy dealership and get a diagnosis from them. I did just that and they said the pivot fork joint was dry and it should be greased. I then returned to the dealership I purchased the vehicle from with paperwork in hand and they still didn't want to work on it, but I did eventually convince them to TRY to fix it. They, of course, did not..they just sprayed lubricant in there again and the noise has once again returned. It's no longer under warranty, but the problem was brought to their attention during my 60 day warranty period. What would you suggest I do at this point? They definitely will not fix it now and I'm not sure that I would want them to at this point. I was thinking of contacting the Dept. of Motor Vehicles and possibly Consumer Protection...what do others do in this circumstance? I have the diagnosis, but don't feel I should have to pay for something they should have fixed in the first place!
    I would go back to the dealer that correctly diagnosed it. Have them fix it once and for all.
    Then write a nasty letter to GM mentioning the imcompetence of the dealer that cannot seem to fix it.
    Then file a complaint with your state's attorney general office.
  • 1badsidekick1badsidekick Posts: 135
    Hi all, I posted a long time ago, and here I am again. I have a '98 Sidekick sport (same as tracker) and I'm again having clutch problems. Last year, I had the linkage under the dash replaced, and now a year later, my clutch is once again acting up. When I press the pedal to the floor, is isn't disengaging the transmission all the way. I scrape gears often when shifting, and when sitting still, it is difficult to get it to go into any gear. I'm taking it to be looked at, and personally, I think it's either a master or slave cylinder, because under the dash, where the clutch linkage goes through the firewall, there is a lot of fluid. It isn't dripping, but it's quite wet. The resovoir is full, but it's having a problem somewhere. If it is going to cost a lot to fix, I've already chosen it's replacement: a 99 Explorer XLS. My car has 55,500 miles on it. I've had numerous problems out of this car. Every 6 months, something else happens. Any ideas or suggestions?
    Its got a leak or you have a fitting leaking.
    well my tracker has been a tank. i have basically used it as a street legal A.T.V. But today i noticed my first problem. well actually last week while driving down this one road i heard a sound that sounded like a hammer hit the underneath of my frame. i thought nothing of it. i thought maybe it was just a rock or something that bounced up and hit me underneath. well today while driving home i heard that sound 4 times in 20 miles. i got worried and pulled over. found nothing hanging down etc. i got home jacked up the front end and discovered that the right front wheel spins freely, but not the left! also with my hands at the 12-&-6 o'clock position i noticed the tire moved (IN & OUT)it felt like when your wheel bearings go bad. i took off the tire and disassembled everything to get to the bearings Except, i could not get this round smooth locking fastern off. I guess it must require a special chevy tool or something. "go figure" needless to say i had to call the dealer, and it is going in the shop this coming Wednesday. I told them it HAS to be fixed b4 Thurs A.M. Because Thursday @ 9am i have another appointment at the same dealer for my tracker. but this is for my P.O.S. aftermarket cruise-control that never seemed to work correctly!!! but this time it completely failed. It kills me to take it to the dealer. Because there is a great foreign salvage yard that ONLY works on foreign cars. and they are REAL pro's too. they have worked on my parents toyota pervia and saved them thousands over the years. and we NEVER had to come back for the same problem twice. But in this case i needed my tracker find a.s.a.p or b4 thursday. lol btw my tracker is a 1999 2-door 2.0ltr 53,000 miles
    one thing that i have heard and seen 1st hand is dealers HATE to do warranty work. "no money involved" the manufacture only pays a flat rate and thats that. No extra money to be made. I recently had my 2002 Kawasaki vulcan 800 classic in the shop for warranty carb work. they "claimed" they torn the carb apart and totally cleaned it. Man that was Bull.! it acted the same way. My scooter was at the shop for 11 days. and nothing was done to it. so i torn it apart, and found all kinds of dirt in the carb, and check this out, even grass!!! a vacuum line came off and sucked all of that into the carb. well i ripped it apart and completely cleaned everything out. and since i had it all apart i order a jet kit and am going to re-jet the carb for my new exhaust pipes. but to the point, dealer hate warranty work. btw i have friends who have worked at chevy dealers, and they complained about the same thing. "NO money to be made on warranty work". And in my case it was a shame that i had to do the work myself to have it done correctly, and NOT have my scooter at a shop for half a month or more!

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/arkainzeye
  • 1badsidekick1badsidekick Posts: 135
    I was told that the Sidekicks/Trackers (the pre 99's models) had a recurring problem with the clutches on the manual transmission models. It seems that no matter how many times you fix it, the clutch continues to give problems over time. It has been a year since I had the linkage under the dash replaced on my '98 JX Sport, but it's doing the same thing again. I took it to my mechanic, and he did the same thing he did first last year: adjust the clutch. The clutch pedal is now a considerable amount higher than the brake pedal, just like it was last year. I was told that if I took it to a Suzuki dealer, they might be able to fix it for good...but I'm planning on trading it off within the next week or so. Overall, I have really liked my Sidekick. It has performed well for me, but it has had numerous problems. One of which was the rear end went out on it at 34,000 miles, and left me car-less for 3 months. After that, it's been just little things, however the clutch was no picnic last year. The replacement I have chosen is a '99 Ford Explorer XLS, with 32k miles. My Suzuki currently has 55,800 miles on it.
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Posts: 131
    Well, I managed to sell my 1999 Tracker 2.0L automatic 4x4 80,000km truck for $10,000 Cdn. within 5 days of posting first ad! Had purchased for $25,000 new 4 years ago. Somewhat happy about this. Truck served its purpose and on to a minivan!

Happy truckin...
    quick question for anyone with a 1999 tracker or newer. how do you take on and off the center cap on the alum wheels? i am now missing one. and was wondering how it came off.
  • m45guym45guy Posts: 42
    My '99 Grand Vitara JLX+, 5-speed, Tracker clone, has been pretty bullet-resistant, but the pinion gear cracked, which just blows my mind, as that, to me, is like an anvil in a sturdy sort of way. I mean, the thing is the size of your fist, and solid steel....

Thought it was a U-joint, initially, as it sounded just like that. But after spinning the wheels with the driveshaft disconnected, my stomach sank. I really didn't want to have to yank the axles, and whatnot.

Anyway, replacement of the whole diff w/a new one from a guy here in OR, was only $267, shipped, and I managed to replace the whole thing with a socket wrench, a 12MM and a 14MM, socket, a 12 and 14MM open end wrench, and some pooky. Oh, 'pooky' is sealant. Southern thing. Floor jack was nice to get the new diff up in place.

FWIW, a rebuild at a local shop was quoted at $600. Shop around. Turns out, on EBay, there were some of these same diffs going for $99. Live and learn.

Anyway, if you wind up with a bad U-joint clunking at low speed, which lasts for months, it could be a pinion gear. Seems to be a weak spot, as another guy said, "this is a problem on some of them". Go figure.

Kelly B
    orange dials blew the M45 off my wish list...