Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• wojowwojow Posts: 12
    is yours 2 or 4 doors?? Do you have page here on Carspace?? Did you take any pictures of work you did ?
    I am trying to find your pages at Carspace but I can't find any of you
  • I recentley bought a 1999 2 door 4x4 1.6 liter 5 spd chevy tracker. It has 205 75 15 tires on it,I was wondering if any body knew how big a tire I can install on it without lifting it. And how the bigger tire would effect it with the 1.6 engine.
  • just checking if you found the problem i am having the same issues with my 2000 tracker
  • I have a 1999 Tracker 2 door 4X4 5 spd with the 1.6 engine. Do you know if I could put the 235 75 15 on it without it rubbing.Also do you have any Idea if it would strain the 1.6 engine to much with the bigger tires?
  • mnmzmnmz Posts: 1
    A basic question I know! But, I have purchased a new tracker in Mexico and the manual is in Spanish and I don't understand too much of the manual. Can someone please tell me what the air pressure should be in the tires. Thanks
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye pittsburgh paPosts: 473
    my manual says 26psi in each tire.. before i read the manual i was putting in 35psi. and i was getting great mpg, but i made the tires cup...
  • I had a mouse build a nest in my 99 Tracker blower motor. A very easy way to get at it is remove the glove box, switch the blower motor(dash switch) to recirculate air from outside, then cut out that black plastic grate which allows you to reach right in and remove any stuff in there. Use a mirror and you can see right in. Will save lots of time trouble and **^%##$^%$# words. The plastic grate will be ruined but who cares, you,ll never see it.
  • hi to everyone who's listening, I am praying someone can help me get my music back I'm going nuts w/o my radio! Please does anyone have the unlock code for my radio, I would really appreciate anyones help please! Thanks!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,866
    Sometimes radio codes can be found on a sticker on top of the radio. And sometimes you can view the sticker by removing the fascia or bezel surrounding the radio with a butter knife or similar. Otherwise you may have to remove the radio and hope the code is on a sticker on it somewhere.

Before going to that extreme, check for a sticker with a 4 or 5 digit code on it in the glovebox or on a fuse box somewhere. This Guide may give you some hints of places to look.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jpearojpearo Posts: 1
    I bought a 2001 4cyl 4wd Tracker a few months ago as a winter vehicle. I live where there is lots of snow during the winter. The Tracker has been AMAZING in the snow and is fun to drive. Just having trouble finding after market parts such as wheel flares or wheel trim. so far so good...I love it! :)
  • dchrisdchris Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 2001 tracker. Even though main car fan was pusing air through, the main A/C fan was seized. Fan cost about $150 + install.
  • Hi there

I have a 2003 Tracker with the same problem you were describing (intermittant heat). Did you ever solve your problem and figure out the cause?

Craig8186
  • I have an '03 Chevy Tracker, recently started to give trouble - wasn't putting out heat from heater. I have changed thermostat - no change. It will blow cold air from heater then suddenly switch to heat for a minute then switch back to cold and so on. Any idea's? Then system is very clean, nice green coolant....

Craig8186
  • I always used 34 pounds of pressure in my Tracker tires. But I am also interested in your buying a new Tracker in Mexico. I have had two, latest a '96, which I now regret I sold and am trying to find a '98 to buy. But if new ones are available in Mexico, that would seem to be very interesting. I once bought a Volvo in Canada and saved thirty percent of the price. But the main point would be a newer Tracker. I would be grateful for anything you could share on how you went about getting the one in Mexico: are they different from US vehicles? Was it really new? Thanks much.
  • A friends mother has a 2000 Tracker. The elctric fan blades have broken. Couple of questions. First, what is the electric fan for? 2nd, is it really needed? Right now we have just pulled the plug on it until it can be replaced.... if it needs replaced. I've never seen an electric fan set up on a stock vehicle like this before. We did it to a Jeep as a trans cooler. But haven't seen it set up like this. Just curious too as to how it works and why its there.

Thanks all
    i believe the electric fan next to the radiator is used for when she sits in traffic and the tracker starts to overheat. It basically stops it from overheating in traffic. I would go to a salvage yard and get a replacement so that she doesnt over heat while stuck at a long red light OR if theres an accident ahead...
  • I just got a 2000 Chevy Tracker. I am not in favor of DRL. Being a responsible driver, I am more than capable of activating my headlights at each and every situation that it is beneficial to activate my headlights.
    I've done some searching for instructions on how to disable DRL, but found no clear answers.
    Is there anyone out there familiar with the 2000 Chevy Tracker that can assist in instructing me how to disable DRL?
    I know I can pull the parking brake up a notch, but is there a (relatively simple or difficlut) way to permanently provide me alone, as the captain of the ship, with the hefty responsibility of turning on my headlights when needed?
    And more importantly... turning them off.
    Thank you in advance,
    Tom
  • calmini.com has a ton of after market parts, like lift kits and rock crawler convertion gears, check with them. They are easy to work with, and maybe able to direct you to someone if they don't make it.
  • Here is the link I used to get info about disabling my lights.

http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html

The Suzuki Vitara is a sister car to the Tracker and here are the instructions they gave for that vehicle.

1. Unplug the DRL module located under the dash to the right of the steeering column. It's a small silver box with a multi pin plug in its side, pretty obvious.
    2. Lift the circular light sensor on the right side of the dash. Unplug it. Don't drop the plug into the dash. Retain it and be sure to secure it with a string attached to the sensor housing so it can be recovered if need be, and does not rattle
    Easy as that!

Here is another link directed toward a 2001 Tracker.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070618100133AAqVjvx

Hope this helps.
  • I have a 2000 Tracker which has been a fun and reliable vehicle.
    Recently I had problem with the fan seizing up, and I went to the dealership and the elecrtic fan, which he indicated cools the engine and also defrosts the inside windows needs replacement. At this time, he told me that he pulled the relay switch plug and informed me that it would need to be fixed before the weather gets too warm, since it needs to cool down the engine. (I live in Wisconsin). He also informed me that it would cost about 600.00. Has anyone have this issue, and is the cost accurate. Please advise.
  • A few things you should know. First, the electric fan has nothing to do with cooling the engine per say. The tracker has a belt driven fan behind the radiator that draws air across the radiator for engine cooling. The electric fan only goes on when the air conditioning is on, to push more air across the a/c condenser. Now one may say that when the a/c is on the elctric fan helps cool the engine, but in reality it doesnt.

His comment about the fan defrosts the the inside windows is also not really correct. When you turn on the defroster, the a/c compressor runs at temperatures above 30F, and again when the a/c is on so is the electric fan, but in itself it does not defrost the windows.

Now as for your fan replacement.....I would try a Suzuki dealer to see what their cost is for a Vitara fan, as it is the same vehicle. Other option would be, as I did with my wife's minivan, is take the fan off, and take it to an electric motor shop and see if they can rebuild it. I had the minivan fan rebuilt for $ 105 and a new one from Ford was $400. The other thing you may try is to lubricate the fan motor if it is seized due to dry bearings. The fan motor is not as "liquid tight" as one would think, and driving on the roads in Wisconsin, I would think that salt spray from the road over time would find its way into the motor and could cause it to seize up. I would try some spray lubrican like WD 40 etc, and spray it inside the motor through any opening you can find, let it sit for a while, start the car and turn on te a/c and see if the an runs. Keep in mind that in cooler weater the a/c will run for a short time and then due to low suction pressure it will shut off, pressure will rise, compressor will run again for a short time and shut off.

Hope this helps you, and if you have any oter questions, feel free to ask.
  • iowafaniowafan Posts: 1
    Is there a problem putting 205/75/15's on my LT
    when it calls for 205/70/15's?
    Thank's. Craig.
  • cheech73cheech73 Posts: 14
    hey all, newbie here. i just purchased a 1999 chevy tracker base model. i think i got a decent deal out of it, i got it for 4k and it had 86k miles and the body was in really good condition, new breaks and tires too.. BUT my question the motor seems to vibrate a bit to much to my liking, just wondering would it could be? im planning to do a tune up in a few weeks, i have already added fuel injector cleaner to see if that would help but it didnt or maybe im not noticing. i also bought some slick 50 fuel system and it says it smooths out some of the ruffness in idling so i will give that a go also... but any thoughts and tips would be great.. thanks
  • erscoloerscolo Posts: 11
    Make sure you follow the service recommendations in the owners' manual. I picked up a 2004 Tracker with 40,173 miles a year ago, and since performing most (except the trans case and transmission fluid changes) of the service recommended, I've had no problems with the car at all. Also, I was amazed how much junk came out when I had the fuel injection system cleaned out. The difference was quite noticable afterwords, not to mention the massive plume of grey smoke while it was being done.
    I personally wouldnt use any of tha slick50 or any other engine treatment. if you go to the ftc.gov. you will read that slick50 along with others have gotten sued for their claims of what their product does. As long as you are running a good engine oil there is no need for a addtive. I have read where outside addtives can cause the oil to break down soon than expected..

also make sure you dont have a busted motor mount!
  • dmcashdmcash Posts: 1
    Hello to ALL….yes, I’m the new guy on the block, and I’m glad I came across this forum.

I have a 2001 Tracker 4-Dr 4x4 with a 2.0L, and yes I also have my first question for the group.

We’ve just experienced a steering problem, and after reading some of the postings regarding the lower steering shaft u-joints failing, I removed the shaft and indeed found the lower joint to be NG.

I’ve found a couple of sites listing a replacement shaft for more than $300, what I was wondering is if anyone knows just what parts are interchangeable between the same year Suzuki Vitara?

Does a cross-reference chart exist?

One of the sites listed one for the Suzuki of the same year, it was $100 cheaper than the one listed for my Tracker but I don’t know if it’s actually the same part?

Does anyone know if this part is in fact the same between the two models?

Many thanks, Dave
  • cheech73cheech73 Posts: 14
    ok cool, glad you informed me about that, i will think twice before making another slick 50 purchase...

as far the motor shaking it could be very well the motor mounts, it seems to go into drive and reverse pretty hard, to me thats a good indication.. its going to the mechanics this week for a tune up while i am there i am having them check the motor and trannie mounts.. anyone know what replacing a motor mount or mounts costs??? so i have an idea.. thanks for the reply.
  • We have a 2002 Tracker and the same thing is happening now. The interior and exterior (including headlights) are dimming and going back to normal for a while (30 seconds or so) then it goes back to normal for a while... then it starts blinking again for a while, etc.

The check engine light is also on. Having had the code checked at my local shop, they said it was the front O2 sensor, but they have no idea how that could cause any blinking...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • mjpowermjpower Posts: 7
    This sound just like what happened to my ford when the battery and alternator was going it caused all sorts of crasy thing to happen with the electrical. I would have those checked before you are stranded some where. Cause when they go it could be in an intersection. Thats what happened to me and that is how I got my Tracker.

And just because I referenced a ford doesnt mean it couldn't happen to a chevy, those 2 parts cause the same problems in all vehicles.

Good luck
  • Yeah, that happened to me once in my old Ford Ranger as well. I checked those in the Tracker, and they tested fine... twice. I was hoping it was that too. I can fix that one. I also replaced the fan belt just for good measure in case it was slipping.

I also removed the chassis ground wire and wire brushed that and the contact.

Still blinking.