Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• mtj67mtj67 Posts: 15
    My headlights stay on all the time. I guess those are the Daytime Running Lamps? However, I have noticed that the dash lights go on & off depending on the darkness/lightness...I bet that's what the sensor is for, huh? Is there a way to disable the running lights?
  • cobcob Posts: 210
    I have a 2004 v6 and am approaching the 30,000 mile mark where I would like to change out the PVC valve. The book says there is one on the motor but this is the first vehicle I've owned that the valve is not pictured on the emissions diagram under the hood. Does anyone out there know where it is located on the engine or if there is one at all?
  • woody72woody72 Posts: 73
    The DRL are your headlights low beam bulb on all the time except when the parking brake is on. The photo eye light sensor on the dash will turn on the dash lights, rear lights, disable the parking brake exception described above, and allow high beams when desired all when it is dark (or near dark). Don't know why you would want to disable the DRL, but I'm sure it is possible, probably through the parking brake switch disabling the DRL when engaged. The only disadvantage I see with the DRL is shorter bulb life. I just replaced one at 100K miles. Not a bad life span!
  • My heater core just went belly up and leaked anti freeze all over the right front floor. It is a 2001 model. Is this normal? Is there a recall for these cores? How long a waranty does a tracker have. It cost me $700 at the chevy dealer. I'm not a happy camper.
  • rvgondarvgonda Posts: 12
    Iranseur, Warranty is 3yrs/36000 miles, whichever comes first. Warranty on emissions components runs much longer(7 yrs?). Sorry to hear about the heater core; that's pretty astonishing; probably not anywhere near normal. Any hint as to why it went bad?
  • cobcob Posts: 210
    It is not normal unless you have never had your cooling system flushed and refilled in the last 5 years. The green antifreeze can cause rust over time if not changed. It is possible that the heater core rusted out. If you have had the maintenance done contact Chevrolet Customer Assistance, the number is in your owners manual. See if you can get some reimbursement from them. Your warranty was for 36 months or 36000 miles. If you had bought the Suzuki Vitara which is the same vehicle you would have had a 84 month 100,000 mile warranty on the drive train although I don't think the heater core would have been under that warranty either.
  • I have no clue as to why it went bad. It is driven very little and garaged. I bought it with 56000 miles and it seems to be in very good shape.
  • Hi there: If you open your hood and look at the left front side of the engine below the intake plenum, which is the tubular cast aluminium piece on top of the engine. You will see a horizontal hose travelling from the middle of the engine to the cylinder head. This is the PVC hose, at the end of the hose at the head is the PVC valve. The PVC valve should just pull out, but buy a new one and take a look at it before you pull the old one out. :)
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Chevrolet Tracker
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • We have a 2002 Tracker, 4cyl. 5 speed. When climbing hills or under heavy exceleration, a hot metal smell almost over whelms us. The thing runs great and we have had no problems in the year we have had it. Any thoughts ?
  • also have a keyless remote feature. i bought a 2001 recently and it did not have a keyless remote clicker with the key. just wondering.
  • i have a dome light problem too. it works in the middle position, but won't shut off with all the doors closed. just sort of blinks. i will have to find which switch is not working properly.
  • my 2001 4 cyl automatic hates gas. you will get 25 no sweat with a 5 speed.
  • Can anyone tell me, maybe the poster called jackmarks, if this spindle socket will be able to get the spindle nut off of a 2000 chevy tracker??

Part#: 09951-16050
    http://www.suzukipitstop.com

I basically need to replace my CV joint but I need to remove the spindle nut to do so. This site is for suzuki parts but a chevy tracker is pretty much the same thing.

thanks!
  • Two of my wheel caps are ruined and the Chevy dealer wants $60+ each for new ones. I've seen some on Ebay for earlier model Geos and Suzukis for MUCH less. Does anyone know if the caps from pre-1999 Geos and Suzukis will fit my 2000 Tracker? (My plan would be to paint them solid black rather than having the Geo/Suzuki emblem showing). Thanks in advance for your help
  • I finally found a set at a halfway reasonable price, so no need to respond. But I have another question that I'll be posting shortly.
  • I'd like to replace the rear section of my Tracker soft top with a hard top but want to keep the soft sunroof. Any recommendations for a good brand of hard top? Thanks.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye pittsburgh paPosts: 473
    do a search for chevy tracker hardtop and you will find results. i just recently replaced my soft with a new soft top . i thought about getting a hard top but i couldnt justify the costs for what my tracker is worth. I bought a complete new top front and rear for under $400. i think the hard top was over $1000. If my a/c worked on my 1999 tracker i might have gotten the hard top but i dont wanna sink too much money in this thing as i dont plan on keeping it much longer. age is starting to show on it.
  • Thanks for your reply, arkainzeye. I've conducted searches and found hardtop sources. What I'm needing now is for someone to hopefully give me some information about quality. For example, two of the brands I've found are Protop and Bestop, but I don't know if one is better than the other or not. If anyone has any firsthand experience I'd appreciate your input.