Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• I currently own a Chevy 1500 p-up. It came with the Tiger Paws. They squeal something awful in parking lots. I also owned in the past a 1987 Chevy Blazer. It too came with the Tiger Paws. They are not very good tires at all, they don't hold up well. Chevy should really consider something else. By the way, I'm considering the purchase of a 2000 Tracker. My husband wants something he can tow behind the motorhome. Any information on how it is a tow vehicle?
  • camimancamiman Posts: 1
    I do not own a Tracker however, I do work at the plant where these vehicles are made and I must tell you that they have done a lot of work on the vibration. It proved to be a combination of the tires, the rack and pinion system and a few other things. The rack and pinion system is the biggest problem. It was not changed from the old tracker and therefore proved to be inadequate for the new one. It has however been changed and is no longer a problem. On the whole the new Tracker is a vast improvement over the old one. For the 2001 model we are introducing a new model to the U.S, only that includes a 6 cylinder engine and some extra molding along the side. This should be a nice touch.
  • ddssjsk9ddssjsk9 Posts: 36
    What are the few other things? I had my Tracker
    bought back because of vibration problems. Is there a in dealer fix for any of them? I feel like
    a weak frame and engine mounts were my problem. Am
    I close to correct? Mine was a 4X4 automatic.
  • Camiman, as far as I remember the old Tracker had a recirculating ball steering. New one got the rack and pinion one. I guess to make it suitable they had to beef it up. I saw two prototypes of 6 cyl Trackers. NICE!!! however I liked the one with simple bodyside molding, not to mention mucho denaro fancy paintjob. However you guys make damn good vehicles.
  • bouybouy Posts: 14
    Dear camiman:
    What do you suggest I do with my 99 Tracker? Should I deal with the vibrations just because your company did not test drive the vehicle before they produced it? Or listen to the stupid chevy dealer tell me this is part of the design?
  • dsjkmdsjkm Posts: 3
    Dear ddssjsk9,

Correcting vibrations can sometimes be tricky. Careful diagnosis is necessary to determine the exact conditions which produce the vibration. Usually its wheel and/or tire RFV >7#, prop shaft imbalance, exhaust resonance, or a loose bolt in a place where no one has thought to look. A weak frame ... not likely. Engine mounts ... there intended to be soft ... to absorb normal engine vibrations. Where and when did you feel the vibration?

You don't have the Tracker anymore, I understand, but others at this site have mentioned vibrations too. I have a 1999 Tracker 4wd and have figured out quite a few things already. I love my Tracker and am amazed at where that little 4WD will go. Maybe we can hit on a few more fixes that can help us all. For instance, did you know the Trackers thru 1999 used lug centered wheels. The hole in the middle of the wheel isn't used to center the wheel like many, mnay other designs. It didn't seem to matter until rack and pinion steering was added. R&P is a lot more sensitive, and transmits wheel/tire and road variations up through to the steering wheel. Next time someone rotates the tires a zips the lugnuts on with an impact gun and you drive away with a brand new high speed vibration, its time to go back and carefully and evenly tighten the lug nuts with a torque wrench.

BTW -- I have the answer to fix the belt tensioner noise.

Hope you're enjoying your new ride,
    dsjkm
    I have been researching complaints and fixes for
    the vibration problems as of October 1999. To this
    day I have not discovered a satisfactory fix. You
    might want to check out a previous post #143 and a
    another post, I think, on the Suzuki postings, where an owner of a Suzuki or Tracker said he owned a company specializing in cad diagnostics.
    He states test indicated there were problems with
    the frames on 10 to 15 tested vehicles. Also part
    of the problem is exhaust resonance. Chev rep told
    me they had installed after market exhaust on a
    couple vehicles with some success. My Tracker had
    never had the wheels removed nor did I have a tire
    or wheel balance problem. My vibration was at about 42 mph., 57 mph. and again about 65 mph.
    When new the vibration was hardly detectable at
    42 mph. only. By 9,000 miles the vibration was
    quite severe at all the speeds. I will still bet
    the bank the problem is engine mounting and frame
    problems.
  • bowl17bowl17 Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Chevy Tracker 4WD,4DR, AUTO and alloy wheels. 55K mileage. I just took the vehicle in for brake service and they called to tell me that the front driver side wheel won't come off the hub... it corroded and seized onto the hub! This is my first alloy wheel vehicle as well as 4x4... is this common? Is there a regular maintenance schedule for this to prevent this from happening??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • rcar1rcar1 Posts: 3
    We have a 99 4 door tracker with 4wd. The vehicles has all of the options and so far has gave us good dependable service. My wife uses it for a Saturday postal route and it just turned 26,000 miles.The vehicles hauls us and our two kids comfortably , climbs the Tennessee mountains well, and even went good in our once a year snow.
    Two gripes.Lack of towing capacity and my body molding is coming unglued. I took it to the dealer to be cleaned and reglued.I think my 5 year old could have done a better job. They put some glue in the worse spot and did not fix the other pieces. I guess they hope it will stay on long enough for the warranty to run out.Time to try another dealer.
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Posts: 61
    My outside door molding started to flare out at the ends after a year. I just drilled some holes about one inch from the ends of the door moldings and screwed in some black sheet metal screws (with washers like some cars use on inside door panels). It actually makes the Tracker look more "rugged".
  • No, that's not a common problem here, anyway. Did you rotate your tires? I think you're supposed to rotate tires every other oil change or so, which would be every 6,000 miles. I think any wheel could corrode on under the rough conditions. But if you are having them rotated regularly, excessive corrosion should be noticed before it gets out of hand.

(I'm in Colorado, snow, yes, but they don't use salt on the roads here anymore. Snow usually dries up within 5 days so most the year we live with low humidity and little likelihood of the rust and corrosion that folks on the east coast get. If you live someplace wetter or saltier, maybe things corrode more.)
  • I purchased a '99 Chevy Tracker last April, I had previously owned Chevy Cavilers and had been happy with them. Thought the Tracker would provide a little more room to my expanding family. With the first oil change I began to complain about a rough idle, vibrating....

Well at first they "could not duplicate the problem". Then as time passed and this April rolled around with the air conditioner on the Tracker would begin to squeal, so back to the dealership. They first reprogrammed the idle. Problem still existed, they replaced the fan belt. Problem still existed, they then replaced the catalytic converter. Well no more squeal, but the rattle underneath and the rough idle are returning. I have only had the new catalytic converter for a month or so.

Interior pieces are starting to fall off, already had exterior pieces replaced or refastened. The interior also scratches easily.

I am disgusted with my 99 Tracker, which my family as nicknamed the "Trasher". I feel like checking out the lemon law, as to me the rough idle and vibrationing problem has not been resolved, and I have a folder full of repair slips.

Any advice?
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Posts: 61
    Jeanettem, look at the oil change sticker to determine what grade oil you have been using in your "Trasher". Note that the owners manual recommends 5-30 weight for all conditions. Too thick an oil may be part of your problem. Also, check the Grand Vitara topic list to review what suggestions have been made for curing vibrations.

I have found that just applying Formula 2001 with a rag to the plastic interior pieces gets rid of all those hairline scratches. I use my Tracker on dump runs, and only deep gouges are visible after applying the 2001.
  • bouybouy Posts: 14
    Reply for Jeanettem
    I know exactly what your going through with your Tracker! I have vibration problems, scratches on the interior for no reason, the outside moldings fall off and so on!

My dealer that I bought the Tracker from actually told me to go to another dealer because they did not want to replace the body moldings! Trucks are suppose to be built tough not wimpy like this vehicle I'm afraid is.
    Welcome to the Tracker Vibration Club. I know 1999 Trackers and Suzukis have been bought back
    because of vibration problems including mine, at
    9,000 miles. Go back and read all the previous
    Tracker and Suzuki posts. Chvrolet's answer is
    "Vehicle is operating as Designed" Which i guess
    is true. Seems like the problem is built in. Some
    people are seeking buyback, some are just dumping
    them at a loss. One person stated, he ran his into
    a tree and just wrote it off, he was so disgusted.

Chevrolet honestly did not try to fix mine. I think repairing them would take some major component redesign and replacement. Good Luck.
  • I bought my 99 Tracker in July 00. It was a left over 99, they were selling for $13,395. It is a black 2dr 4wd with 5 speed and the 2.0L engine, A/C and CD stereo. I traded in 98 Tracker, that had been a great vehicle, except for the drivers seat. It had a steel bar under the padding that pressed on a nerve in my hip and would make my leg go numb. The deal I got on the leftover 99 actually lowered my payments, so I bought it.

The first thing I noticed was the rear convertible top had been patched with some kind of sealer. On checking it out I found the inside seam to not be sewn correctly. When I pulled the car into the garage, the flourescent lights showed the hood was etched with acid rain spots. The car had been sitting on the lot forover a year and we are in a bad area for acid rain.

I called the garage and they were very nice about fixing these problems. They repainted the hood and replaced the top.

Before I took it in for these problems, I was sitting at a drive-thru window and noticed the throw-out bearing seemed to be much louder than
    my 98 Tracker. So when I took it in to have body shop work done, I asked them to take it over to the service area and have them take a look at the throw-out bearing. They agreed about the noise and pulled the tranny only to find the clutch plate was also bad and needed replaced. This on a car with less than 2000 miles on it.

I'm still impressed with the newer model. It's much better than the 98 Tracker or the 95 Sidekick I've owned. I'm not looking forward to the vibration problems everyone is talking about.
  • jlvjlv Posts: 14
    Will the Tracker work for a tall person? Is there enough leg room? Is entry/exit easy?
    [6'5" (36 inseam)]
  • I just bought a 96 model with over 75000 miles on it. It rides rough because it has been dropped to about 6" above ground. Outside of that it is a nice riding vehicle. It is weak because of the 1.6 motor, but has more power than I would expect from such a small motor.
  • Soon after I bought my 2000 Tracker 2WD, 4DR hard-top back in April, 2000, I said I would return to report if my unit had developed any of the problems others have discussed.

I still love the vehicle! The only minor (to me) irritations are the cruise control in hilly country and temperature-related squeaks. At certain outdoor temperatures, it can produce a regular SYMPHONY of assorted squeaks. I have elected to live with them, however, rather than take the chance my local service department would do more harm than good in an effort to track them down.

I am 6'1" 300 pounds and don't feed cramped or crowded while driving.

I have had it on some rough mountain "trails" and it did a great job of clearing rocks and climbing.

One thing-- the fuel mileage forecasts on the window stickers-- pure fiction. With the automatic and air I get about 23 in town or on the highway. But that still beats the heck out of a Jeep :-)

I will be back at 10,000 to let you know if parts have started falling off.

Gene in Amarillo, Texas
  • I have a friend who owns a 1999 Chevy Tracker and is very unhappy with it. It has been back and forth to the repair shop with problems such as no 1st gear no second gear etc., knocks in reverse, metal to metal noise in 3rd and 5th, knocks in neutral, air conditioning needed to be recharged, the catalytic converters insides honey comb broke apart and the rear end whines pretty bad and the list goes on...
    Is any one else out there having such an unhappy time with theirs? I went into another "town hall" and I found many complaints similar in nature but I am still looking for more people with the same or similar problems. Any responses would be great! Thanks.