Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Infiniti G35 Problems

Comments

• bfdm316bfdm316 Member Posts: 2
    Something in the system can tell when the car is in montion so that doesn't work. I think you have to do something in the video to ground it to the car. i just dont know how to do it.
  • gojoannegojoanne Member Posts: 6
    I have an 08 M35 Black Infiniti and boy do I wish I knew about paint problems before!! My 6 mos. old car has "marks" all over the hood, seemed more came weekly.. They are not rock chips, it appears the paint is defective and the clear coat starts spidering out. I had a fit at Infiniti dealership, where one said it was road debris and then the one I purchased it from admitted it was defective and agreed to repaint hood. Two days later I get a call saying the Infiniti rep. looked at it and said its "environmental" and they wont cover. I did not take no for an answer and after 2 1/2 weeks got my car back after the dealership said they would fix it to keep me as a customer!! I hate this paint !
  • esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    Now that it's painted fresh, perhaps a clear bra?
  • paulo6paulo6 Member Posts: 94
    I had a BLACK 06 G35 6Mt before I got my 08 G35xS Blue Slate. I had similar issues to what you describe and I am 100% convinced it was due to automated car washes..they are terrible and especially on black cars. There is a lot of debris that clings on the "soft cloth" from truck beds, etc and that thing does all that damage to the beautiful balck car. I strictly hand wash my new infiniti.
    Well the paint problems on my black Infiniti are definitely NOT due to automated car washes as it has never been washed in one, always hand washed. I am positive what I have seen is due to defect in paint.
  • almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    I too have a Black 07 G35X. The paint job is horrible. Thin and scratches way way too easily. But if you detail it, buff out the surface, wax 'er, there isn't a better looking car on the road. As the model has become more common, there's plenty of them out there now {that for a good reason] it Still Turns Heads.
  • middle77middle77 Member Posts: 2
    Guess I'm the latest with paint issues. Have black '08 G35 and can't believe how easily paint scratches. Car has only been hand washed, but it has gotten to where I'm afraid to exert a pressure when washing. Finally took it in - and got the usual littany of dealer comments: "black shows everything" (DUH!), all the scratches were caused externally, the paint is the proper thickness, you can get it detailed and buy this new protectant we sell etc. Like others have commented, in 25 years and through multiple vehicles, I have never had a paint issue and that's the last thing I would worry about or research. I've since read about a number of complaints - this site and others. Funny - the dealer did not deny that the paint scratches easily - they just didn't offer any help.Seems like Infiniti should just acknowledge the issue and put a clear protectant on at the factory and add it to the price. At this price point you shouldn't have to deal with something like inferior paint.
  • middle77middle77 Member Posts: 2
    I too hate the paint. What did you say/do at the dealer to get them to finally help with the problem?
    My 08 M35 paint problems were on the hood and they were small circles where the paint looks like it separated.... first infiniti dealer said road debris and blew me off.... then I went to the dealer I purchased it... mgr.of serv. admitted they had a problem w/paint and said he would take care of it... three days later called back and said the infiniti rep came by and called it environmental!! I fought with them and told them they had said they would fix it and admitted a problem and he finally relented and said that he would get the hood repainted.... It was fixed, but I am nervous if may happen again! Paint is terrible on Infiniti. I also have always only hand washed so it hasnt been in brush type car washes...
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    I have a 2007 g35x with 18k miles -- i have been the only driver but car was borrowed for a week and about 250 miles- brakes now feel different -- they now need more pressure to stop- almost going to the floor- could they change that much over 250 miles? most of the miles were highway.. anyone else having brake issues ? any TSB's on the 07 brakes??

-Paint - i too only hand wash the car- but there is separation of paint on the hood as well- 5 different marks that are now discolored --blue slate.

-wind noise- i notice a bit more too now -and after walking around the car i have noticed the door seals are not longer flush to the windows-- warped a bit from the sun i guess-- seems weird
  • alanrosemanalanroseman Member Posts: 23
    Hello,

I own a G35x 07, 21K. Had it since new. Worst paint job of any quality automobile I've owned. Marks easily, chips easily.

This weekend we noticed the paint on the inside of the steering wheel is chipping off in hunks around and beneath the volume controls. Heading to the dealer this week.

Brakes okay....so far.
  • infinitisvcinfinitisvc Member Posts: 12
    Regarding your brakes, I know there is a recent TSB that deals with Brake Jutter. Your situation sounds a little more serious though. I would recommend that you have the brake system inspected.

Regarding the wind noise, if the car is still in warranty, get it to the dealer to look at this problem.

As far as the paint issue. Good Luck. Paint issues are not easy to get covered under warranty.
    thanks for your comments- last night i read up on g35driver.com about the TSB your talking about- brake jutter- I will have them look at the car in 1000 miles when i need another 60dolllar oil change at a local boston area dealer - i hope its nothing that I will have to pay for because i got the car 2.5 years ago-new and have babied the thing since day one- 18k miles of which 16k or so have been all highway with little to no brakes - I have read horror storys about past g35 first generations concerning not only the brakes but also the paint. Windnoise will also be addressed when I go. Anyone know the avg brake life of the 2007/08 models, I have owned 2 previous cars and both were traded in with 40k miles on them and no brake problems what so ever- Integra Gs-R (sports car) and Jetta GlI (also the sport model)
  • ft20ft20 Member Posts: 15
    I bought this car used with 20000 miles on it. I absolutely love this car, makes me smile every time I get in. It has 26000 miles now and I'm beginning to notice vibration from the steering column while braking. I don't drive that hard and did not expect a problem with the brakes so soon. The dealer wants to change the pads and resurface the rotors. Never had rotors that warped so quickly. So I'm wondering if I should ditch the factory rotors and put in a new set (front) and save some time and money in the long-run. Sharing any experience with this would be greatly appreciated.
    I have a 08 M35 and it only had about 12,000 miles on it when I got the vibration. Infinity said it was that the rotors were warped. I told them it had better be covered under warranty as I have never heard of that happening w/ so little miles on the car. They did fix under warranty but I dont think they were happy about it....
  • infinitisvcinfinitisvc Member Posts: 12
    Ask the dealer to check the service bulletins on your car. I had a G come in to our dealership a couple of weeks ago and there was a bulletin for replacing the backing plates for the rear rotors to help prevent warping. I cannot remember if it was the same model year, but it cannot hurt to ask. For the client I took care of we were able to cover it under warranty. Good luck with it.
    I have an 05X. It has the smaller brakes of the 1st gen G's. The brakes did not last more than 20K miles with the originals. Since then I replaced the pads and rotors with aftermarket ones and the second set lasted over 50K miles and the current set has almost 25K miles on and seem to have plenty of life left. There are various suppliers.
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    esfoad, what brand of rotor and pads did you get for your infiniti? Any drawbacks to the aftermarket pad (e.g. noise)?
    I went to ConceptZPerformance dot com and ordered Hawk pads with Centric slotted/drilled rotors. Great price and excellent service. Also Burtman Industries has a good selection.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    Not saying the paint on your Infiniti doesn't chip easily but it is hardly a problem that Infiniti has alone; there are forums on Acura, Toyota, Nissan, Audi, and even Lexus about paint chipping problems, especially on black or darker colored vehicles because the color makes them more noticeable; glad to see you stuck to your guns and had Infiniti repaint it for you; it is the least they could do; I have a black 2010 Maxima and I've only had it a month now and it already had two big chips out of the tip of the hood and front-end; probably will have to go complain to Nissan about it; I don't know if it is the actual paint and sealant the auto companies are using now a days or what but the paint on cars chips way to easy!
    Thank you all for your feedback. esfoad, did you install them yourself or had a mechanic do it? I am not mechanically inclined and would rather get them installed.
    Unfortunately while I have the desire I do not have the skill so I had them installed by a garage on the corner of the street where I work. I use this guy regularly and he charged me $100 cash.
    I went to the dealer with the TSB in hand. Met no resistance, they replaced the front brake pads and machined the rotors without a question.
    thanks for the help.
    edited August 2011
    I don't know about the EX35 since it is still a relatively new model only in its second year, but the rest of the Infiniti line is prone to pre-mature wearing of the brake pads and warped rotors; I had a 2005 FX35, I made it barely to 11k miles before I had the terrible grinding/shimmering in the steering wheel and pedals when I applied the brakes and smelled a terrible burning odor coming from the wheels after using the car; I had to have the brake pads replaced and the rotors resurfaced almost every 10-12k miles; luckily for me it was all covered under warranty because it was the front wheels; started having the same problems with the rear wheels at around 36k, while continuing to have the front wheel issues every 10k miles, and the infiniti dealer tried to pull the **** that the rear wheels were not covered under warranty but the front wheels were; that made no logical sense to me what so ever; I fought with the dealer and infiniti hq to no eval; thank the lord I was on a 42 month lease with infiniti for the FX35 and I was able to bide my time till I got rid of it at the end of the lease

the sad thing was the rotor and brake issue was the only problem we had with the FX the entire 42 months we had it; if it wasn't for the constant brake/rotor issues I would have bought the FX at the end of the lease rather than return it but it just would have became to expensive to keep a vehicle that had to have all the brake pads replaced and rotors resurfaced at least once a year!

one interesting story; I was in the dealership one time having the FX rotors resurfaced and I heard a guy who had a 2007 G35 sedan in for service stating he was having grinding/shimmering in the wheel when applying the brakes; the service advisor comes in and says the mechanic says that the rotors were completely warped beyond resurfacing and he had to have brand new rotors put on the car; if that wasn't bad enough, take a guess how many miles he had on his G35..... 10K MILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know how that guy kept his cool but this is just completely unacceptable for a Infiniti product to have to deal with

I just pray that Infiniti has finally gotten its act together and fixed these issues with their vehicles because they really do make a great product in regards to performance, luxury styling, and technology and to have it all spoiled with lousy brake pads and rotors is just plain ridiculous
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    one interesting story; I was in the dealership one time having the FX rotors resurfaced and I heard a guy who had a 2007 G35 sedan in for service stating he was having grinding/shimmering in the wheel when applying the brakes; the service advisor comes in and says the mechanic says that the rotors were completely warped beyond resurfacing and he had to have brand new rotors put on the car; if that wasn't bad enough, take a guess how many miles he had on his G35..... 10K MILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Infinity is not the only one. I had to replace the rotors and front pads on my 2005 Dodge Dakota PU at around the 12,000 mile mark. If you check out the Chrysler Town and Country thread a bit, you'll see all kinds of stories about pads and rotors having to be replaced every 10,000 miles or so. That performance, or lack thereof, is unacceptable in any vehicle. But, I would expect a lot more from a car like the Infiniti that's being advertised as a performance oriented sports sedan/coupe.
  • hihosilver_g35hihosilver_g35 Member Posts: 2
    I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hey and report my findings.

I have a Liquid Platinum (Fancy name for light silver I guess) 07 Journey Sedan. I am an avid motorhead from the muscle car era. I must say these cars do put a smile on your face when you squish the long skinny pedal. I have owned several muscle cars starting with a 67 Buick GS400 (I was 17 at that time). I also had a 70 Dodge Challenger and an 83 Capri RS 5.0 liter. I must say though the G35 offline acceleration blows them away. Not to mention the handling, safety and quiet.

I have recently installed a JWT dual pop intake system that really helped open up the nasal passages. The intake sound is amazing! I have also added a cheapy SLR chip (they claim 50hp, I am very skeptical about that but did notice a little less lurch in offline acceleration). That alone was worth the $69.00 plus tax. I also just purchased and installed a Boral exhaust system. According to the upgrades and a recent dyno test. I am getting just shy of 400hp at the crank. The beast as I call her sometimes, now runs just about even with stock SRT-8s and some lower end AMGs. The funnest part is that it looks stock other than a Stillen rear spoiler, very unassuming. The sound my car makes now is music. It is amazing.

Initially I found the G35 quality great however as I am putting on fairly easy miles on it (well a couple of 130 mph runs on the interstate) I am finding some annoying quirks.

1) There is an off idle stumble that makes it a real challenge to take off from a light smoothly. I read an article way in one of the major car magazines and the test drivers mentioned the exact same thing. They said, "no sweat we talked to Infiniti and they provided a software/firmware update to the ECM and that took care of it. I mentioned this to two different dealers and they said that there is no such thing as an update.. Thanks Infiniti! That's one.

2) So far two key fobs have had to be replaced. Even after heeding the warnings of keeping my cell phone away from the fob. Didn't matter they both died. Replaced under warranty. I should friggin hope so!

3) At 17k miles the gear selector jammed and thus I was unable to take the car out of park. Repaired under warranty as should be. Turned out to be a flaky microswitch.

4) At 21k new tires were needed. I reviewed articles and opted for the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RE960s.. The best tire around? Except if you have a G35 Sedan. These made the car so unstable around turns that it was scary. It felt like the butt wanted to pass the nose as soon as you leaned into a turn with any kind of speed. Wheel works stood behind their word after they let me try them for 30 days, they offered new tires and we worked out the difference in price. I now have the Bridgeston Turanza Serenitys which is a brand new design and they grip very well are very quiet and are warrantied for 60k miles. I still feel that the RSAs were a more assuring grip when driven to the limit though. Maybe stiffer sidewalls and softer compound. The Serenitys are a very nice tire as long as you don't push too hard around turns.. Case in point is due to the way the car's suspension is set up it is picky on what kind of tires are installed so buyer beware. Make sure when you get tires that if they feel strange you can get different ones.

5) My biggest dislike though is the quality of some of the interior components. The display for the radio (no nav) is becoming intermittent. Sometimes it won't light unless I shut off the car, wait a sec and then fire her back up. Also the floor mats. At this low of mileage they are almost in need of being replaced jeez louise folks, My wife has a 91 Ford Explorer with over 130k and we still have the originals and they are in great shape. Pityful. Then lets talk about the weird rubbery coated arm rests on the doors. The coating comes off with a hard rub. You barely touch them with a fingernail or heaven forbid it you watch grazes it. It looks terrible. All that neat looking metal flashing is totally overshadowed by the yellowish plastic under that crummy rubber crap. Even the plating on top of the gear shift is wearing away.. This kind of quality for a car well over $30k.. I think is unforgiveable for even a mid grade car let alone an upper scale car. I am working with my dealer. The best they can do is to replace the driver and passenger side with the same crap that will end up needing to be replaced in a couple of years. I was told that the 2009 model has a different covering that avoids this problem. The dealer wants over $500 to replace the four. Huh? This is customer service. A known problem/design flaw that has now been updated but a customer has to pay for their mistake? I can go with a 47 piece aftermarket in just about any finish I want for $300. Yeah it may be fake carbon fiber but it certainly looks better then the scratched up armrests and will resist scratches much better than the stockers..

6) Lastly, I too have noticed a bit of a shimmy when under fairly hard braking. Thus, the chances are that the rotors are slowly beginning to warp. Looks like I will be calling Stillen and going with one of their brake systems as I don't have much confidence in what Infiniti provides.

Sorry for being so long winded but I had alot to say and share. Thanks for listening and I look forward to more chats with you all.

I hope that you all have a great upcoming Holiday season!
    where can i get a print out on the TSB for the 07 G?? going to infiniti in a couple of weeks and want the TSB in hand for brake wear .

thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Here's the basic reference to make sure this is the one you want.

Classification:
    BR00-005e

Reference:
    ITB00-024e

Date:
    August 8, 2007

ALL INFINITI; BRAKE NOISE/JUDDER/PEDAL FEEL DIAGNOSIS AND REPAIR
    This bulletin has been amended. The Applied Vehicles have been updated.
    Please discard all previous versions of this bulletin.

APPLIED VEHICLES:
    All Infiniti

SERVICE INFORMATION
    ^ This bulletin is to assist you in responding to customer questions about brake operation and provides diagnostic and repair information for each item listed if any should occur.

^ Most brake issues fall into the following categories:

a. Brake Noise: A squeak squeal clunk or groan that occurs when the brakes are applied or released.

b. Brake Judder: A vibration that can be felt in the vehicle steering wheel or brake pedal when the brakes are applied.

c. Pedal Feel: The effort needed to operate the brakes is too high or too low.
    I have a 2008 G35xS with 13K miles on it now. I love the cars except for this brake issue. Here is my story, hope for some insights.

I took my car in at 8K mile oil change service with a note for them to check the light jitter I felt when braking. It was of course warped rotors. They machined, and it drove fine until now.

Well as expected the vibration kicked in again at high speed, and was felt more today. I called and will be taking it in tomorrow to the dealer. I better not be charged for this reoccuring thing with so little miles.

Wonder if the above mentioned TSB covers 2008s? I assume the brakes did not change from 07-08.

As they keep on maching more off the rotors, I assume they get weaker (thinner) with time and would tend to warp even more often now? Do I have a case for them to replace the brakes at their cost rather than this machining crap that will probably bring the problem back again?
    I suppose you could, after one unsuccessful machining, insist on either new rotors or you will initiate Lemon Law procedures. Of course, usually with Lemon Law you have to have 3 or 4 unsuccessful attempts but you might start looking into it. The dealer is somewhat hostage to the factory on things like this, as the factory may not pay for new rotors---but if you could encourage the dealer to talk to the factory service rep to get approval for new rotors, especially after one unsuccessful machining attempt, that might work out for everyone without the unpleasantness of a buy-back.
    Thanks for feedback.
    Here is an update though that might interest all.
    Just got the call from the Ann Arbor, MI dealer. The car is fixed under warranty but they did shed some light that I hope anyone here can share thoughts on...

They claim that a new bulletin that came out (TSB?) indicates that the water shield on the brakes is undersized and allows more water to hit the hot rotors than should and thus cause the warping. So he tells me they replaced them with larger shields, per the bulletin, and I should not have the problem re-occur. Makes sense but Im a bit skeptical. Time will tell I guess if this will resolve the issue

If anyone else heard about this "bulletin", please share thoughts
    Sounds a bit far-fetched but let's see I guess....

If the shields are so good that they wouldn't let water in, I wonder how they would expect the rotors to cool? Silly me... :P
    CA driver,

lots of websites dedicated to saying that "chip" from SLR is a big fraud..fyi== do a search and get your money back.

sween
    Took my 2007 to the dealer--to address my brakes and wind issue.. the front rotors needed to be smooth down--the window stripping on the doors also needed to be replaced- both problems solved under warantee. 18700 miles now on the car
  • no1special718no1special718 Member Posts: 3
    IM LOOKING TO BUY A USED 04 POSSIBLY 05 G35 COUP WIT BOUT 70K ON IT FOR BOUT 14K SOUND INVESTMENT ? OR AM I GETTIN MYSELF INTO A MONEY PIT I DONT JUS WANNA RELY ON THE CARFAX OR DEALERS INPUT THIS WILL B MY 1ST AN DI REALLY LIKE THE G35 ALSO IM 6'2'' WILL I B COMFORTABLE? ANYONE CARE TO HELP? PLEASEE
    good advice -- limit your CAP usage.
  • sammyslabsammyslab Member Posts: 5
    We have a 2007 G35x with (believe it or not) less than 9,000 miles on it. It's my wifes ride. She noticed that the Brake Warning Lamp came on yesterday on her way home from school. I checked the fluid and it is well within the Max - Min levels. It appears that there are a few droplets of moisture on the inside of the reservoir at the top near the opening. I've never opened the cap on the reservoir myself. Could the brake system be collecting moisture? Would this cause the brake light to come on and is this something that should be checked right away. That may be a stupid question but the Infiniti dealer is several miles away in Lexington, KY.
    Would this be covered by the warranty? We bought the car new. It is 3 years old this month (Jan 2010).
    You know,,, I have owned more than 20 new cars in my lifetime and this is the only one that I ever had a brake issue on other that a GTO back in the 70's.
    Thanks in advance for your help,,,,,Ron
    take it to the dealer it will be covered-- 4 years 60k
    Thanks for your help. Do you have a G35? Ron
    yep 07 g35x 20k miles
  • myscreennamemyscreenname Member Posts: 1
    Any Nissan/Infiniti that I've owned has had the rotors warped in an unreasonably short period of time. To solve this, I just pay $100 for some drilled rotors and never have the issue again.

Had to do this on my '04 Maxima, '04 Qx56, and '05 Altima.

I am planning on purchasing an '07 G35 S and will be prepared to replace the rotors on my own.
    agree with you there, the only way to break the viscous brake/rotor warping cycle is to get crossed drilled rotors; had the same issue as you on my FX35

Infiniti will either just resurface or put on the same problem rotors from the factory so that you continue to have the problem - I mentioned cross-drilled rotors to the Infiniti dealer one time and they gave me a whole song and dance that they couldn't do it and that it wouldn't work

Had to take it to a outside mechanic to have done!
  • tomtg35tomtg35 Member Posts: 1
    HiHoSilver_G35 - Good info on the tires. I recently purchased a 2007 Infiniti G35S and at 29.8k miles it's just about time to replace tires, so I've doing research. I was just getting ready to call my local tire guy for the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position tires because I liked the performance specs AND the better tread life. Since I like to push my car hard through the corners, after reading your eval, I think that I'll look for another tire.

Also nice to know that the little stumble that I get off the line is more or less normal for the car - although irritating as hell.

Thanks !
    I mean I haven't had the Pole Position's personally, but the two Bridgestone tires I did have did not have very good wear and wore out by 20k miles! personally, I have had and I've heard from others who have had similar problems with Bridgestone with short tread wear, great performance/handling and road grip but not that great tread wear, maybe the Pole Position's are different but who knows! I think if your looking for long lasting tread wear, the Pilot Sport A/S Plus might be a better choice

best of luck on our tire purchase!
    My 2008 G35xS with only 17K miles already shows some rust on the buttom of the footrest...I spring cleaned it today and noticed the rust. I live in MI and I am sure this is due to salt and winter crap I dragged into the car. I assume this part is covered under warranty? Any feedback?
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    I would be surprised if anything like that - minor cosmetic blemish - would be covered under warranty. But hey, it doesn't hurt to try.
  • _bladerunner__bladerunner_ Member Posts: 1
    Hey Rattler,

Same thing with my '07 G35. Do you have the sport performance package in the coupe?

I've had proper, timely alignments and today, after seeing the camber alignment had ripped apart the inside of both front tires, was told by my wheel alignment shop that there is NO camber adjustment unless I buy the $800 add on kit. WFT?

Am calling the dealer now to threaten to sue and get out of the remaining five months of the lease.

We'll see. Another fight on my hands. What happened with your problem?

-bladerunner-
  • dzan1dzan1 Member Posts: 1
    :surprise: At 39K miles my 2007 G35 would NOT shut off. It was raining and I had the wipers on. Tried to select intermittent wipers...no response - wipers stayed on continuous despite moving selector stick on steering column. Then stopped to park car and push-button shut off would not turn car off. When button was pushed, interior lights dimmed, engine slowed, then immediately came right back up to idle RPM's without shutting off. Fortunately, I was in town and drove to dealership. They had the car overnight and determined that the computer module designed to recognize the key fob had failed. Replaced module under warranty. Anyone else experience this? I must say it was disconcerting to not be able to turn the car off - something I've never experienced with a vehicle in 32 years of driving.
    We have the same car and had the same problem except nothing worked on ours except the radio. The car would not shut off. The Infinity dealership in Lexington, KY could not find the issue and after resetting the system,,, returned the car.
    We don't trust the car anymore. Guess we'll go back to a Ford. At least we never had an issue like this and the mileage was much better too..
    Good luck,,,,,,Ron
    Took car in for tire rotation /oil change- told dealer to check break wear- told me next oil change would need rear breaks -they are 3/10th , with the fronts being 7/10th - why would the rears be more then 2x wear.. I have an 07 g35x. - thoughts ?? and should i go back to the deal for replacement or local repair shop ??

THANKS