Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee A/C Heating Ventilation

Comments

• in November 05 i took my 01 jeep in because i wasnt getting any heat only air, so i took it in and they said that my heating and cooling doors, the heat was jammed shut, so aftert hey replaced it, and took of the dash and the labor it was $1,000. THEN! 13 months later during the coldest time ever in KC the heat went out AGAIN!! not only that but when you drive over 25 super freezing air from outside blows inside. i called them up and they will not honor any warrenty due to its over 12 mo. THEN there is no sign of this going to recall, because those who have repared have not complained to Jeep or Chrysler. so after i spend another $1,000, i can have heat again, but the real kicker is what its blowing now is heat its just half power because the cold door is jammed shut so no air in the summer, and the heat door is jammed half shut so if i run the heat it smells like its on fire because its burning up the bearings so i am told...
  • The fuel pump went out and a mechanic I know replaced it, because it is out of warranty now. Every since, the cooling fan comes on IMMEDIATELY upon cranking, but it will not go off, regardless of what we have tried. He switched the fan relay with the one for the fan, but the fan continued to run. I am nowhere near a Saturn dealership and the mechanic said he would fix it if he knew how. It took me so long to register here and I need an answer ASAP! I hope someone out there knows a little about these cooling fans. It does NOT run once the engine has been turned off, thank goodness!
  • My friend has an 06 Ion and her fan came on and wouldnt stop. There was a code and they cleared it at the dealership. HOWEVER: Their is no TSBs for this and its frustrating. The main offices for Saturn dont know what the cause is either; defective fan, temp gauge, or sensor. Sorry.
  • I don't know if you've solved this or not but my 2001 Grand Cherokee has experienced the exact same problem. First, when we turned the engine off the fan continued to run, forever. Now the fan will not run at all. At speed the cooling system works fine, with no airflow though the car overheats. I'm thinking that it's the relay, fuse is fine, or the fan itself. The relay would be the first logical and inexpensive change but I cannot find it. I've seen several vague diagrams but they do a poor job of locating the relay. If you get this let me know what you eventually did to solve. Thanks.
  • Hey man,

I have a 2001 Cherokee Limited with only 55,000 miles and I am having the same problem. One shop said it was normal so then I bit the bullet and took it to the dealer. They said there was an A/C leake and claimed they fixed it. When I got the car back it just did the same thing exactly as you are describing. On and off and on and off every few seconds and it vibrates and makes a deep below in the undercarriage/exhaust. My mother's 95' Cherokee does the same thing. It makes me nuts because I LOVE these trucks. I bought the 01' used because I like them so much not because I couldnt afford a new car. I dont know what to do about this problem either but you are right it cant be normal.

Steve
  • Hi we have a similar problem to those that have already posted! However, a little quirker than the previous posts! The cooling fan stays on continously only after shifting into 4 wheel drive while stopped (not on the fly).

We had to jump the car because the fan caused the battery to die. Then we noticed that when we removed the cooling fan relay that the lowbeams did not work. However, once we replaced the relay with a new one and took the car out of 4 wheel drive (on the fly) the lowbeams once again worked and the cooling fan turns off!

Does anyone know if the relay has to do with either the shifting of the 4 wheel drive or the lowbeams?? Also has anyone who owns a 2001 grand cherokee found a good website with diagnostic codes. If so I would appreciate the info!!

Thanks,

Mark
  • I have a 1996 Grand Jeep Cherokee. I first started to have problems with the a/c. I was able to get freon added a few times, but eventually had to replace the a/c unit. While I was at it I had the mechanics replace the heater core in case that went bad. About $ 800.00 - I don't take it to the dealership because they always tell you things that you need to fix that are fine. I take it to a trusted mechanic shop.
  • champ218champ218 Posts: 1
    Here is a link to fault codes for the GJC:
    http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm

As far as the problem with the cooling fan staying on after the car is shut off, I had the same problem a while back. Now the cooling fan wont turn on at all. I took it to a diagnostics place and they said it was my Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Hope this helps everyone out.
  • pahefner01pahefner01 Posts: 202
    Another participant that thinks you should check the relay. There are not that expensive and cheap insurance against overheating.
  • pahefner01pahefner01 Posts: 202
    I would also check the relays under the hood first. They are not expensive, easy to get to and fail at a rather alarming rate.
  • If it's defective, then perhaps the dealership will fix it for free. The warranty ran out a YEAR ago...and I have been having numerous problems ever since. The closest dealership to me is about 40 miles away. I doubt I will buy another car where there is no local dealership!

Thanks for the info.
  • uhcprhc1uhcprhc1 Posts: 2
    Where is the low side air condition port located in a 1995 Grand Jeep Cherokee Laredo.
  • xscoutxscout Posts: 141
    On my 1997, which is the same body style, it is located on the A/C line right by the coolant recovery tank. This is the passenger side, rear of engine compartment.
  • bgaffordbgafford Posts: 5
    Ok so my jeep (1997 Limited 5.2L 4x4) is making this funny noise on the serp. belt, took it in the tech says its the clutch assembly. They want like 250 for the part alone, I said NO! But I looked around and autozone has a remanufactured clutch assembly for 80$. I have thought about replacing the compressor all together but I don't want to mess with the evac. and stuff. Has anyone replaced the clutch in their A/C, did you have success? I mean is it a waist of time and money, how long do these compressors usually last? How did clutch replacement work out for you? Any tips or how-too would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. -Brent
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    with a jeep that is 10 years old i would change the compressor also just because
  • usagencyusagency Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to reset this error message or make it go away?

"TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR BAD/MISSING"

I went in for an oil change and on start up from the dealer to leave, this error message came up. Yes they fk'd it up. I disregarded it at first as I thought they rotated my tires & did not retrain the sensors. But they did not rotate the tires and this damn error message won't go away!

I changed the tire pressures in all 4 and retrained the sensor. It all registered correctly but on boot up, the self-test spits out this "TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR BAD/MISSING" error message.

The service rep had the audacity to tell me it is because my spare tire was missing the sensor - I told him I have a 4-sensor system & my spare tire does not have a sensor. He said he does not understand why for 80k miles I have not had this happen. The new sensor is $88, the labor is $26. I am being ripped.

Can any of you guys/gals help out? It's driving me nuts. This is my 4th GC and I have NEVER seen this. Have had the car for 80k wonderful miles and going strong. This has never happen before.

Thanks all
  • spider16spider16 Posts: 2
    Can you give any dimensions / coordinates for where to cut the hole to access the relay? how large a hole?
  • nvtitannvtitan Posts: 5
    My 2001 Cherokee Sport does the same thing. I purchased it brand new on Nov 2000 and wrote it off as normal operation. Never had any issues with the AC performance other than at idle the clutch likes to engage and disengage off more than normal.
  • My 01 Cherokee sport does the same thing.
    My sitter has an 2000, and I asked her if hers did too-and yes it does!
    Drove me crazy at first-never had a car do that.
  • Glad to know I'm not the only Cherokee owner having this problem. After talking to several Jeep Dealerships and about a half dozen shade tree mechanics, they had me convinced I was the only Jeep owner in the world to ever had had this problem. Still no solutions to date. Guess the only cure to the problem is a very, very loud radio.
  • skippytcgskippytcg Posts: 10
    I was in another forum and they said there is a relay located by the passenger headlamp. they said it is a little bit of a pain to get to but that may help.
  • spider16spider16 Posts: 2
    That is the secret. The fan relay is located under the passenger headlight. i just replaced mine . Problem solved. The trick is you must remove the headlight then cut about a 3 inch round hole in the shroud under the light to access the relay. The engineers strike again.Just use a hole saw and you can leave the hole open after finished.If you need more info contact me.
  • tsfromtxtsfromtx Posts: 7
    My '07 GC, with manual a/c, has a strange problem. Air is icy cold, but back it off by a single click of the temperature dial and hot air is instantly dumped into the mix. It's full-cold or not-at-all-cold - no inbetween. The dealer has discussed with Chrysler who says the unit is working as designed. Testing other identical GCs on the dealer lot, this turns out to be true. Anybody else experiencing this discomfort? Any ideas?
  • offroadpepoffroadpep Posts: 11
    03 JGC Tire pressure sensor "BAD/MISSING"???
    A Tip from the Old Man.........
    Oh Boy........... :) Check our owners Manuel, or pick up a service manual on your JGC at any good book or auto parts store. Or if you can find one with the seal off, read it there in the store. :>)
    I sure that you can disable it. All four pressure sensors will quit eventually any way. You can also disable the seat belt ding, ding, if you so desire. But you may have to check your tire pressure manually once in a wile.

07 GC A/C issue
    Another Tip from the Old Man.............
    If that’s the way it is................ “It's full-cold or not-at-all-cold - no inbetween.”
    Just turn the fan speed up and down to regulate the temp in the car. :cry:
    But I sure that’s not the way it should work, see another Dealer / or Mechanic.
    Good Luck to you both.
    Cactus “PEP” :>)
  • kzoojeepkzoojeep Posts: 1
    Easy fix it's the fan relaycontrol module(AKA relay) behind the front bumper on the passenger side. very common problem the hardest part is getting to it, you have to remove the front bumper to do the repair.
  • offroadpepoffroadpep Posts: 11
    Go here:
    http://www.autoacforum.com/categories.cfm?catid=20

Some of the best Auto A/C Techs in the country hang out here, and are glad to help anyone.
    All you have to do is ask.
    And the info is free.
    Good Luck to you all.
  • graypopgraypop Posts: 1
    I have a 01 Jeep Cherokee Sport and a few days ago the air conditioning started blowing warm air. The car place I took it to said there was no freon so they put in freon, charged it, and put in dye to look for leaks. The air conditioning started blowing cool air again. Then they checked my Jeep again later and couldn't find the dye leaking anywhere. I checked with my black light at home and couldn't find any dye leaks either. The next thing they did was they got out a sniffer and the sensor went off near a hose from the evaporator. They could not get the sniffer in the air vents inside the car to make 100% sure that it's the evaporator core. But they say my Jeep is leaking freon and that the evaporator core needs to be replaced to the tune of $800+ (parts & labor). They told me this about 2 weeks ago BUT my air conditioning is still blowing very cool air and it's 90 degrees right now where I live. I don't understand how the air conditioning could be blowing cool air if it's leaking freon? Is it possible that a Jeep needs freon after 6 years? I have about 40K on the car, don't drive it that much. Can anybody help? Thanks.