Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Hyundai supporting the Azera?

Comments

• floridabob1floridabob1 Posts: 1,190
    RE 31
    They probably out source the survey calls and only record replies to questions asked.
  • drdonrsdrdonrs Posts: 164
    the other board:

www.Hyundai-Forums.com

some posters there are also here.
    I am not so sure about the outsourcing. When I spoke to the person at Consumer Affairs, in addition to reiterating my file # which I already had received in answer to my email contact, she gave me her name and extension # should I want to follow up. Outsourcing companies don't do that, as a general rule. As an aside, all the years that I was leasing Accura TL's I was ALWAYS asked to give a "most favorable" response to the survey I was going to receive from Honda Motors, the parent company. So they all do it.
    RE: 34
    THe Consumer Affairs dept. is not outsourced. I mentioned that the survey may very well be outsourced. I also stated that with every car that I have purchased (not only Hyundai), I was begged to give the highest approval rating available when contacted for a survey.
    I have been given the name of each person that I spoke with at Consumer Affairs, but unfortunately there was never any positive action taken regarding any of these calls.
    Have you had any better luck with the issues that initiated your contact with Consumer Affairs?
    RE: 35
    I called Consumer Affairs end of last week after receiving an answer to my email. I was basically representing the entire group. I discussed our concerns about support for the Azera, and the noisy suspension. I do not have the "dreaded thunk", only a suspension that is a bit noisy, nothing I can't live with. My perception is if and when there is a response it will come in the form of a TSB just like the Sonata's suspension. I do not expect individualized treatment. As I mentioned in my posting reporting on what took place with Customer Relations, I tried to "extract" from her a mechanism, time frame and scenario as to how they deal with customers complaints, disappointments, etc., and she would only say that it would be passed onto the proper levels. I intend, within a week, to call again and see if I can perceive any "movement". Meanwhile I am going to enjoy my Sonata and Azera.
    RE: 35
    I hope that you get more positive results than I did.
    I strongly urge everyone to read the Toyota Camry board and see the real problems that exist with the 2007 Camry and the runaround some of the owners are getting from their dealers as well as Toyota corporate. I think we should put our Hyundai concerns in proper perspective. I don't see anything like what I am reading on the Camry board. Makes me very happy that I chose to go with Hyundai. :)
    Don
    RE: 38
    Don
    I compliment you on your patience and loyalty.
    Remember though that the Azera was promoted as a luxury model, not a Camry competitor. Hyundai should be attempting to establish itself by better communication with it's Azera owners and dealer network.
  • gamlegedgamleged Posts: 442
    I'm one of those who don't need to be patient; no clunk, no wobble, no wind, no nuttin'. My loyalty will need a few more years to be firmly cemented in place, but I'm optimistic... and I have the extended warranty, just in case! ;)

I was loyal to the Honda Accord for 29 years, that's two Accords, a new 1977 and a slightly-used 1990, only owned two cars in 29 years but the lack-luster Accord front-end styling for the last several years had me looking around... and the Sonata caught my eye, then the Azera caught my eye and held it... :)
    Bob,
    I agree with you. I perceive that Hyundai has yet to position itself and its dealerships to deal with an upscale, luxury/entry luxury car and their type of customers that this type of car will attract. It's very difficult to sell an Elantra and gear the floor of the dealership to a higher entry level. Even the sales force has to be of a certain mindset. I have actually told this to my sales manager, but they are catering to the bulk of their customer base, and this is not being snobbish. It's a fact of doing business with the various levels of the customer base. I doubt that most of us who have Azeras would be enticed into a dealership by ads proclaiming "poor credit accepted", nor would we be asked to bring in salary stubs for the past 6 months. It's all a mindset.
    In my opinion when and if Hyundai comes out with a rear wheel drive luxury car they will think about establishing a new division just like Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Infiniti.
    Meanwhile my loyalty to Hyundai is not based so much on the 2 cars I own, but on the performance of my dealership and that has been above reproach. Now we will have to wait and see corporate's response.
    Don
    Don
    If the dealership treats you well, you have won half the battle.
    Bob
  • I never saw or read anything from Hyundai stating that the Azera was considered a luxury or even entry luxury sedan. What I have read is that it is considered a large Premium
    sedan, like the Avalon or Lucerne. After nearly 3 years on the market the Avalon is still plagued by the same problems since it's intro. Initially it was rated by CR as average now it is rated as better than average. The Azera however, was rated as much better than average in it's first year. The Azera's problems have been minimal compared to the new Camry or Avalon, of who's many problems have yet to be acknowledged much less addressed by Toyota.
    RE;43
    Two of my friends own 06 Avalon Limiteds. Neither have had any issues with their cars. I'm not aware of the actual numbers, but from what I have seen on the road, Avalon outsells Azera by a tremendous ratio.
    The Hyundai dealerships that I have visited all referred to the Azera as Hyundai's entry to the "luxury" market.
    I'm not sure that Lexus or Infiniti use the term "Luxury" in their printed matter. Most car buyers do not participate in Forums, therefore it is difficult to determine the satisfaction level of the purchasers of any model.
    Found this astute analysis on a different site, and I quote:
    ----------

By reading the financial pages, I learned Hyundai has been in two types of problems, work-related and legal.

The work aspect is that the company has been plagued by multiple stops in the production of their vehicles in South Korea, where the Azera is made, since the very start. Their workers have been on strike for higher wages and better working conditions every year but one since 1987.

Last year was the worst ever in this area, with 17 days of strike causing a production loss of 115000 vehicles. I guess they figure there's no point in advertising if they can't make enough cars to answer the current demand. If they advertise, the car could sell a lot, but people wouldn't be able to get it for months. In Canada, at least in Ontario, the 2007 model is not even arrived yet.

The legal aspect is that their chairman, Chung Mong-koo, has been in trouble for the last few years. Yesterday he was handed a three-year jail term for illegally raising a $110 million (u.s.) slush fund to seek government favors.

Mind you, he appealed the decision and was released on bail so he won't go to prison any time soon. Actually he's been allowed back into the boardroom for the time being. This guy has been there since 1999 and is credited for expanding greatly the Hyundai brand by opening new plants and putting the emphasis on quality. At the same time, he seems to have a confrontational attitude with his workers.

So these two problems probably don't have a big effect on the Sonata and the new Santa Fe because these models are produced at their Alabama plant (opened in 2005), but it's got to cause a big slowdown in South Korea where the Azera is made.
    RE 45
    Hyundai is still the largest manufacturer in South Korea, and plans to build over 1.7 vehicles in the South Korea facilities in the year 2007.
    I believe that they can build and support any amount of Azera's that the US market can sell.
    They may choose not to do so, but not beacause of the legal problems with their chairman.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    If I may make a different argument:

Is Hyundai USA supporting the Accent?

The Azera has seen its fair share of media attention in the US while it has been slim picking on the Accent. In addition to the regular media outlets, Hyundai was also the sponsor for two big events, the World Cup and the MLB Playoffs, and HMA aired fair amount of Azera ads. On the other hand, I have not seen one stand-alone Accent ad yet, since introduction of the current generation.

The Accent, specifically the 3 door, has enjoyed brisk sales, but the strikes and other events (mainly strikes though) have hampered production in great amount. In my area, every 3 door that has arrived to the dealers are being sold in a short period, I have been told dealers cannot keep them in stock.

I know historically these cars generally do not generate much profit, if any, which may be HMA's approach on advertising budgets and allocations, but...give us one!!!

By the way, I like both the Accent and the Azera, in their own ways :)

And side note, if the Accent SR becomes production one day, you can add me as a Hyundai owner and I would put my deposit down the day of the announcement :)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    You mean the last post on that page? It's already been posted here: gamleged, "Is Hyundai supporting the Azera?" #45, 7 Feb 2007 6:48 am.
    Just saw two back-to-back ads on The Weather Channel, one touting the Azera's Electronic Stability Control and another comparing the Azera to the Lexus 460, which ended: The Lexus can park itself. The Azera can't. But for half the price of the Lexus, you can hire someone to park your Azera!"...
  • jaymagicjaymagic Posts: 309
    Not only could you pay them to park it, you could afford a few lap dances waiting for the valet to deliver it.
    I knew they would get it going. I think the advertising is being handled by a new agency. Also in discussing the lack of advertising with "my" sales manager ( I stop by the dealership from time to time to say hello) he informed me that Hyundai had reduced their advertising budget by millions and funneled the money to shore-up the dealerships. It does appear that they are back up and running with a more pointed add campaign. I have not seen the Azzy ads, but I know there is lots of chatter going on what with the introduction of the concept car, Genesis. I have read interviews with a number of the Hyundai executives such as John Krafcik, and they are definitely going for the big boys in the industry. My only concern is will their dealerships be up for the task? In the NY area a number of dealerships have gone out of business and my dealership's service department at Hyundai of Westchester is being swamped, this from the service manager. I hope it all works out because I think the new Hyundai models over the past couple of years are really in the thick of it. Just saw the latest Consumer Report magazine which has a major article on small SUV's and the new Santa Fe is ranked #2 just behind the Toyota RAV4. Since it is new they won't check rate it until they have a handle on its reliability.
    I think Hyundai has every manufacturer looking. Now people have to get over their "badge snobbery" and they can have a fine car like the Azera among other models.
  • washronwashron Posts: 5
    Pat. We need to pick up the 2008-2009 Hyundai Genesis discussion from the main forum. If you look at the Hyundai goals for the past 3 years regarding puting out 7 new cars in 3 years they have accomplished everything. The new Genesis will only add to the value of all Hyundai cars. I think it is time we looked at the "big picture" of what "our" company is trying to do. The total Hyundai lineup is giving more established cars a run for their money. The Genesis will continue to be a big topic, please add it to our forum. :) ;)
  • dborthdborth Posts: 474
    RE. 53: There is already a Genesis Forum, well attended too.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f12c019/88

Or just enter Huyndai Genesis
    I've linked it to this group so it may also be found in the discussion list here.
  • Muchos Gracias Pat

:)
    Sure thing! :)
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 317
    Until recently, there was a good inventory of 2006 Azeras, but dealers advertised and sold most of the remaining 06s. Very few 07s to choose from. Hyundai.com hasn't even updated to reflect the new GLS with 3.3 and SE with 17",XM, etc. What's up? Is Hyundai giving up on the Azera in favor of the Genesis? Ie, is the Azera discontinued?

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX

• dborthdborth Posts: 474
    Pat: Re. # 58

May I suggest this post be moved over to the "Genesis" thread? "sda" raises an interesting question.

Thanks.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    I doubt Hyundai is "giving up on the Azera". The Azera and proposed Genesis are aimed at different segments of the market.
    Hyundai has resumed advertising the Azera. I have seen several over the past few weeks. They changed advertising agencies recently. There is no evidence that the Azzy will be neglected. The Genesis is not a substitute for the Azzy. My dealer, Hyundai of Westchester in Yonkers NY has several 2006 SE's in stock and is offering them at under $20,000. This is an exceptional dealership and with a little negotiating you can pick up a new Azera for less than the price of the Sonata. My son just picked up a new 2007 Santa Fe and so we have purchased 3 cars in the last 15 months, which includes my 06 Sonata LX6 and 06 Azera Limited. Anyone in the metro NY area would be well served to try this dealership. I have never been more happy with my cars and the dealer, sales and service. :)
    Don
This discussion has been closed.