Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Suburban Transmission Problems

Comments

• Your Transmission is covered under factory warranty. I also have an 07 suburban and had the transmission replaed at 55K at the dealer but It still acting up. It feels sluggish and a vibration on the accelerator pedal
  • girlofsteelgirlofsteel Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    Hello all, I have a 2001 Chevy Suburban 5.3L with 133,000 miles on it. It starts up fine, I put it in drive, it doesn't move, put it in reverse, it backs up, put it back in drive and away we go. The rest of the day it drives just fine. Other days I put it in drive and it is fine, then there are the days I put it in drive, we take off, stop, step on the gas and nada!! Put it in reverse, back up, put it back in drive and we are off. Any ideas?
  • hi i have a 2004 gmc full size truck 1500 4x4 when i start the truck it will go in gear if i let it sit and idle in park i go to put it in drive again nothing its like its in neutral but if i shut the truck off wait a minute start it back up it will go into gear again any ever have this prolem ?
  • it wont go in reverse (goes into nuetral) wont go into park (unless i use parking break) and when it gets to about 35 mph i can feel no more acceleration in the pedal...
    187k miles
    the questions are
    is there a repair to be done or a new transmission?

is it worth it to rebuild

i am reading this forum and notice alot of other suburb owners are complaining that the rebuilds are not running for more than 100k.

what type of transmission goes in my truck when i go to buy one...
  • fentronicsfentronics Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    My 95 Tahoe is not shifting into O.D. I have changed the fluid and filter in it about 1 year ago, and havnt seen any issues till now. I just recently took it in for an oil leak that ended up being the oil filter adaptor. But in order for them to figure out where the leak was they had to clean the whole underside of my truck, since it was coated in oil. Oil leak fixed, but 1 week later I loose Overdrive. The other gears work flawlessly, just won't shift from third to fourth gear. the fluid level is good, and I don't have any transmision leaks to note. Could this be a sensor? It didn't make any loud noises, I just noticed that the RPM's were too high when on the highway.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Don't know much about automatic transmissions, but perhaps if they had to spray everything with a degreaser and power wash, that one of the electrical connectors and/or wiring got bounced around and isn't making a good connection anymore.
  • hquickhquick Posts: 5
    Problem with ALL 1500 auto Burbs is the trans is just too weak for the size of these vehicles.
    If a 'soccer mum' is driving it...OK....but anyone who tows or puts the foot down from time to time will eventually destroy the trans.
    The 4L60, 4L65, 4L70, 4L75 trans are all made for a sedan....not a 3 tonne vehicle.
  • bossy16bossy16 Posts: 1
    Has anyone had problems with there transmission? I have a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71 4X4 with 140K on it. I bought it used just only 4 months ago. The guy i bought it from stands by Chevy's even thought i was hesitate on buying it with high mileage so he offered me a Warranty. The Carfax turned up good, no problems and 1 owner. So i got it but no I was driving it and slowed down but when I went to speed up my RPM would rev up. I pulled over put it in park and started driving again but when i tried to go over 30 MPH my RPM would just rev up. So I'm guessing my Tahoe was stuck in 2nd. I got it up to 40 at 2 1/2 RPM and tried to go faster and it rev to 5 RPM!! So i can't go but 30 MPH. I took it to a shop yesterday and they have pulled out my TRANSMISSION and waiting on the insurance guy from the where i got my warranty threw to come out and make a decision on whether to fix it or not. Now I worried that if the Transmission gets replaced other things will start going wrong? Has anyone had problems like this? I love the way it drives and how much room we have now! so should i get rid of it or keep it and i hope the warranty even covers it!
  • i have a 2001 chevy suburban 1500 2 wheel drive, i had the transmission rebuilt by a very repitable transmission company, it shifts fine but the computer keeps sending a code, i think its like code 1870 its saying its an internal slip, so the transmission place has changed the torque converter and pump 3 times, still the same thing. they have went through this transmission and say they have never seen this before, EVER! anyone have any suggestions? someone mentioned to me about having the brain flashed? know anything about that? PLEASE HELP if anyone has any suggestions, this cost me about 1800. and still isnt right
  • johnace54johnace54 Posts: 1
    I have a 93 350 s. Suburban with 171,000 miles on it. This truck has been good to me all these years with very little trouble. My son used it Saturday night to go to his girl friend and came back later but I was in bed. The next day I went with the dog to go to the park and when I started it it rev'ed up high but came back down to normal. Never did this before. As I drove down the street the engine roared like it was slipping but shifted all gears. Feels like 2nd seem to roar the most but it does shift into 3rd. I change the fluid about 6 months ago and it was working good since. Anybody have something like this before? Johnace
  • tk1991tk1991 Posts: 1
    I have a '93 burb 4x4 with the 60 tranny. Have two issue that appeared at the same time: 1) the speedometer goes crazy and getting worse, similar to what the 2004's and such are doing. One day after changing the altintor I was idling in park and the needle was turning up to 80 mph, and the odometer was spinning forward like I was driving. 2) The transmission jerks like a stick shift when idling at speed. 20, 40, 70 mph doesn't matter. If there's not a load or slowing down it jerks. My TPS is new, I cleaned the speed sensor but don't want to just start buying new sensors. I am going to change the fluid but the two seem connected and seems electrical to me. Any thoughts?
  • My 2001, 2500 suburban has 67,000 miles on it and the tranny is barely starting to act up. ONLY on 1st gear while accelerating from stand still y kind of hovers/ ripples or bumps its way to gear. It does not happen every time. I have serviced the tranny but the problem stays. Fortunately while on the road and towing there are no issues. What can i du to prevent the tranny form having further damage or do you know what can be causing this. Note: the tranny does not feel like it slide to gear.
  • 95 suburban wont shift into 3and4 gear is this the shift sensor or is the tranny burning up?
  • i have a 94 chevy suburban with a 454 in it. When i shift to 4H or 4L i can tell it engages at the transfer case but not at the front axels. Now what? thanks
  • I have a 94 doing the exact same thing did you ever figure it out. I have not yet but been told it would be a vacuum line or a sensor.
  • tcloudtcloud Posts: 1
    My '95 Suburban 1500 4WD has 279,000 miles on it. Runs good and looks good, but it is slow shifting into reverse when on even a slight downhill incline. It also acts like it is missing a bit when under light load at 40-50 mph -- but I know it has an intake manifold leak and I assume that is causing the transmission to hunt for the proper gear.

What could be the problem? If the transmission needs to be rebuilt / replaced, should I purchase one or let someone do it? If I wanted to purchase a replacement, what should I look for and where is a good place to buy it?

thanks,
    Tom
  • I have the same problem with my 2002! Any thoughts?
  • i just got a 4x4 1993 chevy suburban ,automatic, i love it, but i got it cheap because it had "tranny problems" ive been driving it, but to get into 3rd gear i have to floor it, and it wont go above 4th.
    Im not sure if it has a bad torque converter or if its the whole transmission? the previous owner said he tried changing the filter and the fluid.. any info for me?
  • I have a 2001 Suburban 8.1L with transmission failure and cannot locate a used transmission anywhere in this state. Would I be better to put an older model tranny that is retrofitted or have mine rebuilt?
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    edited March 2011
    Why wouldn't rebuild be the preferred solution anyhow, just fix what is broke? Or do you have a ton of miles on it, where you should consider buying new vehicle?