Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Hybrid vs Toyota Prius

2»

Comments

• jcook123jcook123 Posts: 1
    Nice Analysis, thanks

Here are a few additional items to ad to your list that I found on an autoMedia article called Civic vs Prius: Compact Hybrid Comparison

* The EPA considers the Prius a Midsize Hatchback vs the Civic as a Compact Sedan. This is based on interior volume.
  • Compliments to Frungy for this simple yet important analysis. I too went through the same dilemma recently. Looks are a matter of personal choice. Although I travel more often and require a car with better boot space the trade off was with the price. The guys at hendrickcars did a good job in explaining the cost difference. I am glad I bought the HCH.
  • I have the Prius, my co oworker the Honda. Both behave similarly as far as fuel mileage and handling. 4 things make the Prius the better car:
    1. The ability to run up to 40 mph on the battery. Today I traveled 1.75 miles mostly on battery, with the MFD reading 99.9 mpg. Of course I was on the side roads, and was running 25 mph BUT it was still an amazing feat
    2. The MFD - amazing. Even in my package 2 it is an outstanding feature.
    3. The Smart Key and the HomeLink mirror. No more house keys for me! I still need 1 to get into the office but I could laways just sit on the porch and wait for a co worker to show up, but they usually are there after 9, and I get there around 8:15.
    4. The amount of interior space. I traded a 2001 Ford Sport Trac for the Prius and I now have more rear passenger room. The HCH is very small feeling inside, and the truck is also small.

Get the Prius
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    Regarding the ability of the Prius to run on the electric motor only. We rented a Prius over the Memorial day week end and part of my travels included a (admittedly downhill) run on a very rural 2 lane road during which we traveled between 9 and 10 miles on the electric motor alone. Even when the strictly downhill part ended and the road leveled off we continued to drive on the electric motor an additional 2-3 miles on this same rural road. I was impressed using NO gasoline for probably 12-13 miles.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    The Prius is a totally different animal.I have read very few complaints about it unlike the Honda which seems to be ovewhelmed with problems.
    We have friends who have driven their Prius over 100K miles without a single repair.
  • If I could take a Prius and put a Civic body on it, I would buy it.

It is godawful ugly in my opinion.

Also, to replace the battery in a Prius, you need like $5000, so you may be problem free longer than the HCH, but if you plan on keeping it past the warranty, you better start a saving account for the battery. The Civic battery is more like $1800
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    This is absolutely erroneous. It was a fear back in 2001 and 2002, but it's been disproven nearly 1 million times over now.

Seriously.

It may even turn out that the battery and hybrid components are the most reliable parts of the vehicle needing no replacement for any normal lifetime. As of today the Prius is the No 1 most reliable family vehicle in CR's hierarchy ( the Camry Hybrid is No 4 ). The Prius is also the most reliable vehicle in its class in JD Power's annual survey.

It would not get these rankings if battery replacements were an issue.

Finally there is the most validating fact of all......................EVERY vehicle manufacturer is now getting into hybrid production because they've seen Toyota's great sales and the bulletproof reliability and simplicity of the technology. The competing vehicle makers wouldn't be investing $Billions if there was a substantial risk.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,785
    "It may even turn out that the battery and hybrid components are the most reliable parts of the vehicle needing no replacement for any normal lifetime."

I'm more concerned with other aspects of the Prius creating failure points. If the main display dies, the Prius won't start. That is an expensive part.

Does the Prius have a model without the center display? I know that the FEH has it both with or without, including the higher end models, if desired.

That makes a big difference. If my radio goes on in the FEH, I don't have radio. If the center display goes out in a Prius, I don't drive.
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    Aside from the fact that I have never seen any accounts of the display failing on the Prius I'm not sure it won't start if it did fail. Sure, the radio operation controls, AC operation controls, and various driver information pages are displayed on the main center display screen but it probably would start/drive without it being operational. Once again, I don't quote any of this as fact but opinion. No, one cannot get a Prius without the display and on the Civic the "with and without" display you mention is the GPS/navigation system and has nothing to do with the operation of the car. You can also get this as a page on the Prius' display and as with the Honda it is an option.
    Sorry that's not accurate. It has nothing to do with the operation of the vehicle.

Over on PriusChat there are a few limited reports of the MFD failing but it's just a small computer screen that goes out. It has nothing to do with the running of the vehicle.

Yes Toyota would like to replace them a premium prices but there are numerous sources from the net to obtain a replacement for several hundred dollars then it's just 'plug and play'.

Another unfounded misconception put to rest.
    "No, one cannot get a Prius without the display and on the Civic the "with and without" display you mention is the GPS/navigation system and has nothing to do with the operation of the car."

Take a look at my message, I was speaking of the FEH.
    "Sorry that's not accurate. It has nothing to do with the operation of the vehicle.

Over on PriusChat there are a few limited reports of the MFD failing but it's just a small computer screen that goes out. It has nothing to do with the running of the vehicle. "

Thanks for the update. My information was outdated.

It is good to know that the MFD can fail without impacting the HSD.

But just to confirm, I'm not talking about the screen going blank, but about the electronics behind the screen. Are you saying that you can pull the MFD out of a Prius and it will still run?
    Yes it's just a computer screen. In fact you do lose the touch screen interface for the audio and HVAC and Navi if it's there.

However the redundant controls on the steering wheel can still control the audio and the HVAC even without the MFD being active.

There is in fact a button to turn off the screen if some drivers find it annoying.
  • I am curious just how much is the cost for Navigation on the Prius?
    It's about $800. The difference between Package #4 and Package #5.
2»
This discussion has been closed.