Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Montero Sport

Comments

• I went into a dealership recently and was offered a Mist. Montero Sport LS 2WD for supposedly $100 over invoice. I didn't qualify for 1.9% but was able to get 4.4% from another finance company (not Mitsubishi). The dealer didn't mention anything about a rebate. Shouldn't I still qualify for the rebate and if so, how much is it up to on the Sport LS now? If possible, please email responses to: gofishgirl_99@yahoo.com Thanks
  • alexpalexp Posts: 70
    You do qualify for the rebate. The deal was to get a rebate or financing.
  • bigeasyalbigeasyal Posts: 29
    I am not a salesperson or a dealer. Just a satisfied MS owner that did a lot of research that I would like to share with others rather than see it go to waste. But in order for me to help I need the following information:

What state do you live in?
    What is the combined state and local sales tax rate % you will be subject to?
    WHAT MODEL MONTERO SPORT ARE YOU CONSIDERING? THERE ARE FOUR MODEL LINES; ES, LS, XLS, & LTD?
    Do you want 2 or 4 wheel drive?
    And Finally, what options in the vehicle are you looking for? Leather seats, sunroof, roof rack, security system?

I need an email address that is capable of openning microsoft word and excel files OR a daytime fax number and a name to whose attention I should send the information.

I have original dealer invoices with the holdback and flooring amounts, as well as the ad fee charged for each model? I also know of a few dealers that will sell for less than 1 % over invoice no additional fees or charges. And you can opt for the refunds to further reduce your price.

So contact me at BigEasyAl@hotmail.com
  • yinghyingh Posts: 6
    I need to make a decision quick. My dealer is willing to sell a MS Limited at invoice price, which is the same as Edmund reports ($28524 (base)+$1008 (for the leather), plus $169 processing fee. Is this a good price? I appreciate your advice.
    The price for this Limited is around $33000 so you are getting nice discount. Also I beleive there is a factory discount, but even if it is not applied you are getting a good price.
  • smghutsmghut Posts: 1
    I'm considering a Montero Sport ES. Really like the car. But it sits quite high and looks rather narrow. Anyone heard anything about rollover problems? I don't know what to make about all the talk about SUV rollovers.
  • tbakke1tbakke1 Posts: 1
    Check out the following site: www.hwysafety.org
    It features insurance institute crash tests. Note that the Montero Sport receives a poor rating and looks horribly mangled in the pictures. I would pass based on this alone. Rollover hard facts: SUV are roughly three times as likely to roll than cars, but are safer in car-car crashes because they ride over the vehicle they collide with. The montero is not more rollover prone than other SUV in this class. Personally I prefer the Galant ES v6 (I traded my 99' Montero sport in 2 months ago). It has more options (traction control, side air bags) and is faster than the sluggish montero. Also the montero is truckish, read: bouncy. Yeah, its got great looks (runaway most stylish SUV), but its wise to look beyond the sheetmetal.
  • sfhelpsfhelp Posts: 1
    I want to buy a 2000 Montero Sport LS, 2 WD with both avail. option packages (security, remote keyless entry & roof rack, side step). I want to know what a good price is. Can anyone tell me what they paid - price before fees, taxes and rebate? I am being offered a rebate of $1750 which sounds good. But, what should the "base" price be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    email me at jp250@aol.com.
    Thanks!
  • whutchwhutch Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard of the smoking problems that the Mitsubishi vehicles have after about 60 or 70,000 miles? Is there any truth to the distributor cap problems? Was there an electrical problem that most have? I like the Montero Sport but I want a car for the long hall and I would like to know that it won't be in the shop after a certain miles.
  • jkillion2jkillion2 Posts: 2
    According to my salesperson, the reason for the great 2000 MS deals is the 2001 is about to come out. Has anyone heard anything about these 2001's? Is there a web page that lists what the differences will be?
    According to MMSA, there will be minimal changes in the 2001 Sport's. Some gadgets will be added, but nothing else.
  • pammerspammers Posts: 2
    If anyone out there has a Costco Membership, check out their website for the car buying program. I am in the process of working a deal on a new 2000 Montero Sport for $250 over dealer invoice price (including option packages, destination charges & advertising cost). My question is, does anyone know what the standard advertising cost is for Mitsubishi? They are trying to charge me $646 for that fee, but I've read that it should not be more than about 2% of the MSRP on the vehicle. If anyone has experience with this, please let me know. I have to act fast! Thank you!
  • cardfan22cardfan22 Posts: 2
    All the research BigEasyAl did on the Montero Sport was incredible. It really makes it easy to negotiate a quick deal when you're loaded with facts on the pricing. I just faxed an offer sheet to the dealer comparing a discounted MSRP with the Dealer Cost + $200 and had a deal done within 15 minutes. No haggling. No back and forth dealing with "my sales manager".

"Pammers" - You may not want to fool with going through Costco if you have the information comparing MSRP with the dealer's cost. The standard Mitsubishi ad fee is 3% off the following number: (base MSRP less 2% dealer holdback and 2% dealer floor financing costs).
  • jkillion2jkillion2 Posts: 2
    I bought a Lmt MS this week. The 3.5L is good. It doesn't have nearly the go of the V8 JGC, but then gets a lot better gas mileage.
    The ride is incredible. I drive about 60 miles a day (hwy and city) for work and enjoy a very smooth ride (very comparable to my Infinity G20). My one complaint is it tends to get pushed around by medium/strong wind.
    The seats are comfortable, but I wish they had a little higher edges. At times, when making turns at higher speeds, it feels like I might slip off. I really wish they had power seats. The heated seat option works great though!!
    The stereo is decent. I'm not an audiophile, so it sounds fine to me (but isn't as clean as the Bose system in my G20). I'm replacing the factory stereo simply b/c of looks. The interior is pretty plain right now and a $300 Sony stereo will give it a little more color and high tech look.
    I'm going back to the dealership Saturday to have them check out a rattling noise that occurs when first accelerating. It occurs in the bottom left side of the dash. Other than that I get a very noise free ride.
    Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase. I wish it had pwr seats and dual climate control (the biggest ongoing argument in my marriage is car temp ;) but the upside far outweighs the downside.
    One word of caution and I'll get off my soapbox....DO NOT BUY THE JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE. I almost purchased one since they are giving 5k off MSRP right now. Luckily I read the message board at Edmunds first. It was littered with posts from people whose experiences remind me of Job's (not as in work but as in the person).
    Do your research, and then buy the MS knowing you got the most bang for your buck.
  • mirko2mirko2 Posts: 1
    From MINGO

I would like to know how it is with advertisement
    fees. In Chicago area they add $800 to invoice and
    won't lower it.They say Mitsubishi ask for it, and
    I have to pay it. I never hear about it. What's
    the deal? Anybody know? I already burned two
    dealers - no success.
  • pammerspammers Posts: 2
    I don't know what to yell you, Mingo. I am unsure about the advertising costs myself. On all the car buying sites I've searched it seems to be a fairly standard cost (varying by make & region), but no one I know has ever paid (or known to have paid) that fee before. In Southern California I am told that the cost is $646, and non-negotiable. I was first dealing with a fleet agent because I was working on a discount membership club deal ($250 above dealer invoice) and was told he had no control to lower the advertising cost. So, I then went to a different dealership today to see if I could negotiate a better deal from scratch. They were able to match the original deal I had, but not go below. I told them that the ad cost was the deal breaker, that $650 was just too high. The manager's response was that it is a non-negotiable standard fee and that "Maybe you should do your research next time, honey."
    Mitsubishi charges fixed fee for advertizing which
    is not $800. 2% of the invoice is closer to the
    real price, even though it is still higher than the actual fee. In addition, most of the time Mitsu builds hold back and floor charge into the invoice to help out dealers.
  • I bought my 2000 XLS Sport in January. Mostly I have loved the car until recently. The A/T Temp warning light continued to come on. The dealer said that it was probably electrical. Then it came on again and when I pulled over, smoke started pouring out, it was leaking trans fluid.
    When I brought it to the dealer, no codes were found and they couldn't duplicate the prob. They said there was about 1/2 quart too much fluid in it and drained it but that was it. I now worry about it occuring again. It doesn't happen all the time and it is not at the same time. Also, the console area gets extremely warm. So warm that if you place stuff into the little compartment by the gear lever, it gets warm and if you try to drive with you ankle and lower leg leaning against that area it gets so warm that you can't leave it there. The third problem is when you turn on your headlights, the lever gets very warm, yet the dealer tells me that there is no electrical in there and that it is no problem. I have never had this occur in any other vehicle I have owned. I am getting so mad, I am about to trade it in already on either the Dodge Durango or wait until this fall and get the new Toyota Sequoia. If anyone out there has had any of these problems, or knows anything about them please let me know. I don't know what else to do other than to keep going back to the dealer to try and make them fix it. I just want to make sure that it is my vehicle with the problems and not something that is normal with this particular vehicle.
  • KicKMan1KicKMan1 Posts: 45
    Any owners out there live in the Twin Cities metro area? I just leased a 2K MS XLS from Wayzata Mitsubishi. I must say that the service we received was excellent. We dealt with one salesperson and the General Manager who merely introduced himself, bent over backwards to make us happy and succeeded in doing so. However, this dealer happens to be a client of my law firm so I want to make sure that this great service is consistent with other customers and that I didn't get preferential treatment.

I'm also interested in their service departments and warranty repair requests. Thanks much.

KickMan
  • bigeasyalbigeasyal Posts: 29
    Folks,

Please leave an email address when posting. This allows for individuals to respond to you directly instead of posting responses that relate only to you.

Thanx, Big Easy Al
    BigEasyAl@hotmail.com

In regards to the ad association fee. It is part of the invoice sent to the dealer. It is a bogus item that is added to the invoice to protect profits to the dealerships. Since so much information is available on the internet, Mitsu dealers needed a way to be able to sell at or close to invoice and still make a profit. If you actually have an invoice, there is a disclaimer at the bottom that states, "This invoice may not reflect the ultimate cost of the vehicle because the Ad Association Fee may be returned" to the dealer "by the distributor."

This disclaimer is used to protect Mitsubishi from lawsuit for false or misleading advertising or fees.

The ad fee on the invoice is 3% and is calculated by taking the invoice price of the vehicle only; subtract 2% for holdback and 2% for flooring; then take that amount and multiply by 3%. In actuality the dealer does pay 1% of that amount to the ad association for regional and national TV, Radio, and print advertising. Local ads for that dealership is the option and expense of the dealer.