Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero Sport

Comments

• cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    From thecarconnection.com today:

"Two slow-selling models in the Mitsubishi lineup are being deleted at the end of the current model year, Automotive News reports. The Mitsu Diamante sedan and the Montero Sport SUV will be dropped - and the paper adds, the brand could drop its seven-seat Montero SUV in another couple of years. Mitsubishi's dire financial straits mean that replacements for the Sport and Diamante have fallen off the planning radar, leaving the top-line Galant GTS to replace the Diamante in the U.S., and upmarket versions of the Endeavor crossover to step in for the five-passenger Montero Sport. The Montero, the paper reports, could go away if Mitsubishi cannot finance the engineering updates needed to import it to the U.S. in 2007, when new safety and emissions regulations come into play."
  • chulsey1chulsey1 Member Posts: 3
    I, too, am 40 and have a 2000 Mitsu Sport LX and still love it. It's been a great vehicle. I have 83,000 and have also babied it. I did my research using Edmonds before purchasing the vehicle and got a great deal.

I have not had any problems with it and plan to buy the Endeavor in another 3 to 4 years. The vehicle is sleek and sexy and I love to drive it!

Great SUV!!!
  • labbelabbe Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to get the brake light on the dash to go off?
     I was bouncing around a dirt back road in four and when I had to drop out of four, the brake light came on and now it seems to be stuck on...

Is this a simple fix or what?

Thanks.
  • carshopper77carshopper77 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for an SUV. I am not sure how does the Montero Sport LS rate in consumer confidence. People who like it and people who hated it - would you guys please share some experience. I have seen pictures of one of this in the market and before I call the person I would like to know how does this car rate on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 = good/excellent).

Here are the Specs:

Engine: V6 3.0 Liter
    Trans: Automatic
    Drive: 4 Wheel Drive
    Mileage: 85,000
    Condition: Excellent, one owner, have maintained it in a mint condition.

Equipment
    Air Conditioning
    Power Steering
    Power Windows
    Power Door Locks
    Tilt Wheel
    Cruise Control
    AM/FM Stereo
    Cassette
    10 CD Changer
    Premium Sound
    Dual Front Air Bags
    ABS (4-Wheel)
    Roof Rack
    Privacy Glass
    Running Boards
    Grille Guard
    Towing Pkg
    Premium Wheels
    Ovrsize Off-Rd Tires

Thanks for reading and taking time.
  • mike_skimike_ski Member Posts: 1
    I've found a few other posts specific to 2000 Montero Sports and transmission problems. Recently, my 2000 LS has started to balk ocassionally when going from 2nd to 3rd gear. This usually happens when it is cold or when I accelerate quickly. When it is bucking and hesitating to shift, the vehicle looses power, as if it were running out of gas. This has happened a handful of times in 4 days.

For those of you who had transmission problems, did you get any resolutions?

Thanks, Mike.
  • jas_iajas_ia Member Posts: 2
    Carshopper77, it may be a little late to help you but here goes, (just found this site). I've got a 98 which is more or less the same as the 97 I think.
    I bought it new in 98, it currently has 119K on it. It's the LS 3.0 auto 4WD. The problems I've had with it are: Replaced the air compressor and clutch at around 100k miles. Had a freakish thing happen to the engine at 107k miles. One day it started running like crap (I mean it would barely move and sounded like it was running on three cylinders). Mitsu dealer tore the engine apart and said a lubritaction failure caused a cylinder head cam to lock up which sheared the cam pin and bent the valves. Long story short, replaced the engine with one that had 40k miles on it (not cheap!). I haven't experienced any of the front end problems others have spoke of, or any problems of any kind to be honest. Other then the catastrophic engine failure the truck has been a champ. Thus, I have mixed feelings about it. The engine is to weak to do any regular towing, which I don't, so it is adequate for me. The only other thing I don't like about it is the ridiculous expense of changing the plugs and timing belt, an $800 job at the stealership. I still think it's one of the sharperst looking SUVs on the road. Would I buy another one? Yes, even considering the engine problem, which I think was just one of those things.
  • theej9theej9 Member Posts: 2
    I have had a similar problem in regards to the 4wd indicator light on my 2001 Montero Sport w/58000m. I could sometimes get it to come on, however it would only come on blinking for about a minute or so then trun off. I am not sure exactly what this means, but I know for certain that the vehicle would not transfer into 4wd.

What do you mean by the switch being the culprit, as I am very eager to get this issue resovled.

Also, do you know how much it cost you to repair?

Thanks..
  • davenportdavenport Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know where i can find a lift kit for my 2003 Montero Sport 4x4
  • mosespraymosespray Member Posts: 1
    I have been driving a 1997 LS since 1998. It turned over 200,000 miles yesterday morning.

I have replaced my alternator 5 times in the past 12 months, most recently three weeks ago. My mechanic told me that he has two other Montero Sport owners that have had the same problem. Today, my SRS light came on after I turned off the cruise control, and later the oil temperature light came on. I had alternator-like symptoms about 45 minutes earlier (tape player going berserk and digital clock going out). Does anyone know what is going on?

My factory-installed 10-disc changer hasn't worked since probably 2000. The display reads ERR 04, but the owner's manual tells nothing about this, and my local dealership has been no help. I have a disk in the changer, just in case it ever decides to work--and it's in position 4, the number that shows up on the display. Any ideas?

I absolutely love this car. I have had NO problems with it until this chain of alternator problems. I do not want another car, and I do not want to think about a car payment. Can anyone give me any tips--other than GET A NEW CAR?
  • wilkintewilkinte Member Posts: 1
    I know this is 2 years later, but I saw this and have the same thing. If I play with the 4wd lever, the light will come on and I will feel it engage, and then the abs light comes on. My guess is it is something in the pnuematic system (doesnt' air control both the abs and the 4wd??). I have had my 00 for 4 years, and have had no real problems. Yes, the tranny shifts a little goofy, but with 150K miles and no real service done I feel pretty good. Please let me know if anyone has found the bottom line on the car's flakiness in going into 4wd.
  • 3mitsuowner3mitsuowner Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 02 Sport with 46K on it. Before delivery, dealership replaced all 3 switches involved in FWD: T/F Gearshift 4W; T/F High - Low Gearshift; and T/F Gearshift Low. Apparent FWD did not work without these switches being replaced. No problems now.
  • 3mitsuowner3mitsuowner Member Posts: 2
    My 01 has 4 oxygen sensors? Seems like a lot of overkill just to get clean exhaust. Any comments on why 4? Thanks!
  • akashunakashun Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Montero Sport XLS, I'd like to know if there is anyway I could properly remove my headunit to install a different one and I would also like to know if anyone has information about the RMS wattage output on the stock headunit as well
  • riossrioss Member Posts: 2
    I have been searching on & off for the new Euro clear brake lenses, front corner markers & the front lower turn signal lense. I have seen them on a few Sports in Galleries. I have called some Companies but they say there is no demand for them. Can any provide me with some guidance on this matter.
  • riossrioss Member Posts: 2
    Requesting information on Aftermarket performance chips for the Montero Sport 3L/V6 engine. Has anyone installed one of these and actually noticed a significant difference?
  • hsw22dealhsw22deal Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to change the driver side marker light and there is not a way to take out the lens or the housing, when I check the manual is says it has to be done by the dealer, does anyone know what the secret is?
  • mitsudroppermitsudropper Member Posts: 1
    ok i don't have a solution, but a question, because i drive the same exact thing. but i changed my oil the other day, i used castrol 10w-30 non-synthetic and a fram oil filter. well today i was driving and it just started smoking out of the exhauset pipe, badly. and it was also shaking even when i was idling. i was thinking i used the wrong oil but i don't know. what kind of oil do you use?
  • lloydslloyds Member Posts: 1
    I bought my MS 4X4 LS new in July 2000. I gave it to my daughter about one year later when I got a company car. It has given us good service, except that now when it is driven at highway speeds over a hundred miles the A/T overheat light comes on and when you stop, and takeoff again, the starts are jerky and the gears have trouble changing. I drove the vehicle today on a 200 mile roundtrip and experienced problems with the automatic transmission today. I took it by the Hiley Mitsubishi dealership service department this afternoon on my way home, hoping they would drive it while hot, but the service manager said it would be Monday before they could look at it. They checked it out before (about 4 - 6 months ago), but were unable to duplicate the problem. I plan to take it back in on Monday to have them check it out again. I had the transmission fluid flushed and changed at around 30K.

It has 67,200 miles on it. We bought the extended 5 year 100K Warrentech warranty which is near expiration, when we bought it new. The dealer I bought it from, Don Davis Mitsubishi, has gotten out of the Mitsubishi business.

I recently paid $500 to change the timing belt, front engine seals, and all the other drive belts plus detail the engine compartment at Precision Tune. They did a good job for a fair price. We have changed the oil every 3,000 miles using Castrol Synthetic blend. The engine runs like new, and uses no oil.

The front end seems to be having problems. It seem to be loose when going over bumpy roads and is riding rough. I have had the front shocks replaced, but it seems that it has developed front end problems and the KYB shocks may not have been the correct answer.

I have had the disc brake pads replaced all around and purchased new tires about one year ago.

We have kept the interior clean and the exterior waxed. It still looks new.

I still like the body style and enjoy driving it when I get the opportunity.

Has anyone had issues with the MS Automatic Transmission and the A/T Overheat Light? Any recommendations on the transmission problem or the front end problem?
  • razor47razor47 Member Posts: 1
    My 1998 s[port, all of a sudden it starts racing like u put ur foot to the floor while ur driving. Almost killed someone. This is the second one that did this. PLEASE ANY HELP
  • rescuerottsrescuerotts Member Posts: 1
    I am currently in the market for an suv and very much like the way the montero sports look and drive. My problem is....everyone one I have looked at in this price range has a rear main seal leaking and some of them have transmission leaks. I am looking at vehicles between 1998 and 2001 4x4 with under 90,000 miles. I'm trying to find out if this is a common problem with these cars and what kind of nightmare it is to fix....Can anyone help??
  • coderedcodered Member Posts: 43
    hello i have a 1999 Montero Sport Limited 4x2
    it has a 3.5 motor 86k and no trouble at all...

ps
    we get 19 & 23 mpg
  • dmuttdmutt Member Posts: 48
    There was a couple of TSB's on the Sport for 2000 & early model 2001 on the transmission. One was for changing to a deeper fluid pan. The other was for re-programing the computer to erase the surge shifting. I have a 2000 LTD 4X4 and both of these items have solved what problems I had back in 2000. Might solve the temp. light coming on with a deeper pan.
    More than likely your front end problems are due to a worn out front upper control arms. Had mine replaced at 34,000 and at 68,000. They have a flaw in their design. They have a plastic insert sleeve in the arm that wears, thus causing the upper arm shaft to become loose. I have pulled one apart from the last set I put on to see if I could do anything to prevent this. The only thing I figured out is if you could install a stainless steel sleeve, that would help cure the problem. But, you cannot take them apart without destroying the assembly. The are sealed together. I did not need to replace both arms the second time. Only one was bad, but did both anyway. The mechanic and I looked them over to see if you could add a grease zerk like the older models, but decided this was not an option either. The older models with grease zerks last extremely well. The new sealed ones do not. The upper arm costs 125.00 plus installation. Then it has to aligned. Your looking at around $650.00 to do the job at a shop rate of $60.00 an hr. Mitsu claims 3.5 hrs a side. My mechanic did it in 2.5 hrs a side.
    Other than this, my wife's Sport has been very reliable. It has at 71,000 miles now. And she still loves it! I like the way it goes down the highway. The 3.5 is a very torquey motor. Rarely shifts down. Only on the long steep inclines.
  • acarrejoacarrejo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Montero Sport and am experiencing the same problem with my 4wd. It seems to operate intermittently. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • gt2002gt2002 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to do this ? There is a pin in the back ones that is preventing me from changing them .I cannot seem to get the pin out. Has anyone changed rear brakes in a 2002 Montero Sport XLS.Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
  • cata1cata1 Member Posts: 2
    They claim that the chip is sealed so it cannot be re-programed. I,ve found only an electronic box that get,s connected to your tester plug (see under daswboard), but it,s very expensive about 600 euro.
    Good luck finding one, hope it helped :D
  • cata1cata1 Member Posts: 2
    There is 3 pins, but just take them out very carefully.
  • rlhoperlhope Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 montero sport. the antenna mast broke. i bought a replacement mast to attach to the power antenna motor but can't see how to access to replace. any thoughts?
  • leonshleonsh Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I have spent two hours already trying to change my marker light on my Montero Sport and it has not been successful. So far I have removed the grill, the bumper, 2 screws for the head lamp and still can not access a bulb or screw by the fender. The owners manual show how to change all the other bulbs in the car except this one so if you were able to find a way to change this bulb please let me know.
    Please help me!
  • dougie522dougie522 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my montero sport (1997). I never had this issue until 3 years later when I bought my car to Mitsubishi and had the oil and tranmission fluid changed. Since then my car has been leaking oil in the engine and shows it coming out of the exhaust as smoke (lots of it), especially when idled in traffic. I too use 10w-30 oil, but I don't think it has nothing to do with the oil. Have you heard any suggestions?
  • nasfd35nasfd35 Member Posts: 6
    I think I have an unusual problem. We've and an odor in our Montero that smells like cat urine. I've already searched the web and found an enzyme that "should" remove the smell, but I need to know the most likely spot to look. I don't want to take apart the whole ventilation system, or spray blindly hoping to fix the problems.
  • geniousgenious Member Posts: 1
    a Marker light change is easy as looking below the fender and removing a plastic liner placed with plastic removable rivets. You don't have to completely remove the liner, only remove the rivets as you can insert your hand and remove the bulb connector. I hope this help you.... :shades: ">
  • cehughescehughes Member Posts: 1
    Today the lights on my dash lit up on the A/T, Battery and Brake warning all at the same time. I've checked the A/T fluid and it is fine, battery is fully charged and alternator is charging and I changed the front brake pads about 6 months ago. Vehicle runs fine, just a lot of lights on the dash now that will not go off. Does anyone know how to do a master reset of the lights on the dash? Thanks,
  • fleetwoodfleetwood Member Posts: 2
    Not sure if you've gotten your problem taken care of or not but I have some information you might be interested in. I started taking my 2003 sport in at about 18K miles (now at 31K) for the exact same problem. They gave it back to me twice saying they couldn't duplicate the problem. Mine, unlike yours happened at random times under no certain weather conditions. It finally got to the point that if I tried to accelerate to fast it wouldn't even switch gears (the transmission acted like it was in neutral) and would red line on the RPMs. I just got my car back today and it seems to be running fine,,,we'll see how long it lasts. But what they said they had to replace was the Valve Chamber on the transmission. If your problem isn't fixed let me know and I will tell you exactly what they replaced from my receipt.
  • jedwards2jedwards2 Member Posts: 5
    I came across a Montero sport 2003 and test drove it. It is a second hand car and drives well, though i felt a little bit of vibration. I popped the hood and the engine looks quite new. The VIN is JA4ls31r73j006165. It has 49k on it (i think quite a lot for a 2 yr old vehicle). And price is under 12k on road and the owner is willing to drive it to a mechanic to do a inspection. Do u think it is a good deal. What else should i be looking for ? any hidden tricks?. Also, if anybody has access to the carfax report for that VIN, that might help too.
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    Do yourself a favor - spend the $ for the carfax report. What's an extra $20-$30 when you are looking at spending $12,000? Yes, definitely have a mechanic look at it too. In terms of the price, you didn't say whether it is XL or XLS, etc... Get all of the vehicle's details together, and go over to the "Real World Trade in Values" and post everything there. Terry ("rroyce") can tell you what a fair market value is for the vehicle.
  • jedwards2jedwards2 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your feedback. It is a XLS. Posting on the Real World Trade in Values.
  • bc76bc76 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to the forum and was wondering if this was ever resolved for you. I am having the same problem with my 2001.
  • allieroonallieroon Member Posts: 1
    Hey all. I really dig the look of the Montero Sport and am thinking about purchasing a used one. The one I'm looking as now is a 2001 and has 84,000 miles on it. That's pretty high and I'm wondering what sort of problems to expect. Anyone have any insight on that one? I heard the gas mileage sucks and it's way underpowered too. True? Here's the link to the one I'm going to test drive...

2001 Montero Sport Limited

Thanks in advance for any help!
  • banksjbanksj Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 montero sport that wont stay charged. The brake and
    battery light started flicking on a couple of days ago but now it is on and
    wont go off. I have to charge the battery up at night if i want to go
    somewhere the next day and that doesn't even last for 30 minutes. Even
    though i charge it up the lights still stay on. When the wind shield
    wipers and lights are on at the same time the car will completly cut off.
    You can't roll the windows down either because the car will cut off. I'
    ve had a few mechanics look at it and that was a waste of money. If
    anybody has any idea what the problem may be with my 1990 Montero Sport
    PLEASE REPLY
    thanks alot, an angry owner
  • cscowcscow Member Posts: 1
    I have been trying to chang my AC belt ant I can not seem to loosen the pulley to put the new belt on. I loosen the tensioner bolt and it moves out but the pulley seem to be stuck in place. any ideas? :sick:
  • efallsefalls Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like your alternator has gone bad and you are runnng the car off of your battery. The battery is not being charged by the alternator so each time you use an electrical device, it drains the battery completly. By this time, the battery has probably gone bad also.
  • sandydragonsandydragon Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like the alternator. The alternator provides electrical power to the engine to perform the electrical functions while the engine is running. Also find other mechanics who are honest. Looks like they want to scam you out of a car. You haven't said it but I can bet they also offerred to help you by paying little or nothing for it as well. Will usually run less than $200 for the part then add about an hour or less for labor, not remembering the engine configuration on the 1990.
  • sandydragonsandydragon Member Posts: 2
    The tensioner has two bolts to losen to get the tensioner pulley moving, the first is the one on the pulley the second is the adjustment bolt (the one you seem to be moving) to make the pulley more tense or not. Losen the pulley first then the adjuster. The pulley should move when moving the adjuster. remove the belt and replace. Then adjust the tensioner and retighten the pulley.
  • bbaker1bbaker1 Member Posts: 1
    my sport has had alternator replaced 5 times and battery twice. if you have any ideas on what to do next .help!!!!!!
  • msgravesmsgraves Member Posts: 1
    There is a special nut at the base of the mast with four indentations in it. Carefully use a screw driver or other tool that will fit one of the indentations and unscrew the nut. Pull out any of the old antenna mast by turning on the ignition (the remainder of the mast strip and or mast should pop up at you). To install the new mast turn the ignition off and insert the mast strip as the antenna motor is reversing. It should suck the new mast all the way down. Put the mast nut back on and your good to go. :shades:
  • lmg19lmg19 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I'm new to this board and i'm thinking of purchasing a used montero sport. The dealer has two 2003 models but one is a ES and one is a LS. Which model is better? Thanks!
  • kribe123kribe123 Member Posts: 13
    Hello Folks,

I am new in this forum,
    I has been participated in another one for my other car (Kia Amanti),
    I tried to take out water tank in order to remove the pump to review it , and by the part, :( but I couldn't uninstalled headligth to unscrew a hide one behind headligth..

Has somebody do that?...
    or somebody know How much is the cost to repair at the dealer some idea??

Regards,
  • nasfd35nasfd35 Member Posts: 6
    OK…. I have a ’03 Sport with a few problems.
    (1) The brake light on the dash was coming on then going off, but now it’s on continuously.
    (2) The cruise control light stay on after you use it. When you turn off the cruise control then turn off the truck, then turn the truck back on, the cruise control is on. After normal driving for a few days, it goes and stays off.
    (3) The A/C sounds like it’s still cycling even though the A/C button is off.
    Are these problems all related? Since they’ve all happened/started around the same time, I thought that is might be an electronic/computer SNAFU. Any help would be great.
  • paganinitanpaganinitan Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with the brake light. I've bought my 2000 Montero Sport new. Anybody experience the same problem? Any solution?
  • mick_stonesmick_stones Member Posts: 1
    Oil has been getting into my alternator and have to replace it 5x also. My mechanic said there needs to be some type of shield put in to deflect the oil from getting into the alternator. He hasn't done it yet and I question whether he can. I really am at wit's end also on this.