Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Montero Sport

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,194
    Mitsubishi's Montero sports utility vehicle, made in Japan, bucked the trend of dropping demand for SUVs.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• My wife and I bought an XS 3.5 last weekend and have enjoyed it so far. The 3.5 does provide a noticeable pop that the 3.0 did not have, although we haven't towed anything with it right now. I'm not sure what they're current promotion is, but we were able to get the 1.9% financing and that sealed the deal. We pay less in interest payments than the $1750 they were going to give us as a rebate, so it worked out well. Did you buy it?
  • georgepiegeorgepie Posts: 1
    I recently bought a MS XS with the 3.5 L engine.
    Very smooth. However, I noticed that at 65 miles/hour the tachometer indicates approximately 2700 RPM . It seemed a bit high to me. The tires are the standard P255/70 R16 .

Can anybody tell me if this is normal ?
  • How much did you guys pay for the XS and were they 4wd's?
  • to finance the whole thing you could be looking at $27k+. Ours was the XS 4WD, we've loved it.
  • al63017al63017 Posts: 149
    Since I was driving Honda CRV and driving many miles to work each day and getting minimum of 23mpg I was scared off Sport with price of gas and less mpg. Bought 2001 RAV4 which is loaded and like it much more that CRV. CRV is great car just too plain--RAV4 is loaded and more plush and better looking in my opinion. They changed those so much for 2001. Drove one in 2000 and did not like it at all. Know you will like the Sport they are great looking vehicles and I think most people have had good success with them. With 1.9 and around 27,000 you can not go wrong. Enjoy as I am sure you will. How is your gas mileage????
  • jman14jman14 Posts: 1
    What is "TSB-01-23-007"? And where do I go to get this?
  • crusse2crusse2 Posts: 1
    Just a response to the question from DMC01, I own a 2001 MS 3.5XS and I am also 6'3". I have plenty of head and leg room, but if you get one with a moonroof, you will have problems! I test drove an XLS w/ sunroof and could barely get my legs under the steering wheel and my head brushed the ceiling. However, the models without a sunroof did not have this problem and are much roomier.
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Posts: 160
    This is a Technical Service Bulletin from Mitsubishi that addresses eratic shifting on 99,00, and some 01 automatic transmissions on the Montero Sport. To obtain a copy, you need to talk to a dealership. The NHTSA site may have a brief explanation of what it is. But it will not tell you much.
  • keshiafkeshiaf Posts: 3
    I had my first oil change about 2 weeks ago. On Sunday my engine began to run rough and loud (almost sounded like a diesel engine. Then valves began to knock. This occurred off and on during driving on Sunday. I checked the oil and for leaks every thing was okay. Monday and Tuesday functioned normally. Yesterday it started all over again and today its fine. I called the service department on Monday but of course they can't get me in until Friday. Can Any One Help/Provide Me With Any Type of Information regarding this problem.

I also have a random noise coming from the engine that sounds like a belt is locking up for about a second then it unlocks and the noise stops. The dealership says the vehicle is fine and they heard no noise.
  • Good news!! After I sent in my lemon law final repair demand letter, I received a phone call from Chad Blake, the local Mitsubishi rep who was extremely friendly. He had me take the MS into Boch Mitsubishi of Norwood, MA. I was handled personally by Dennis Detolo and THEY FIXED THE PROBLEM!!! The horribling howling humming noise was caused by a defective rear differential. They took 5 days to find the problem and fix it which I am very happy about. Apparently if the rear differential is not perfectly centered or there is space, then that causes the humming noise. The part is worth $2200. I was handled with the utmost care and respect by Dennis Detolo. It was raining and he even wiped water off the inside of the door where it got a little wet when he and I got out of the car. I can't say enough praise for Dennis Detolo and Boch Mitsubishi. Even though it's about 20 miles away, I will be taking the car to them from now on.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,194
    Good deal; it's always nice to hear a success story! (Guess you'll have to think about dumping your user name now ).

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jadedejadede Posts: 6
    Drove one yesterday. Very disappointed. Weak engine, high cruising rpm. Felt cheap inside. No opening glass on rear door. Why not? For the price I guess its a good compromise. But to buy I wouldn't.
  • I've seen the above posts regarding high RPMs on the freeway. This bothered me too, but I did some research. The Montero Sport auto transmission has only 4 speeds and no overdrive. So that freeway driving at 2700 RPM is just the way it is. It does cause a noisier ride on the freeway because the engine is revving higher, but that's just something I've grown used to.
    The Montero Sport has overdrive. It is the fourth gear, like many other 4 speed automatic overdrive transmissions. Some of the newer vehicles now have 5 speed automatic transmissions.
    The reason why the Sport runs high RPM at highway speeds, is that it has low gearing. 4.90 rear axle ratio on the LTD. The lowest I have seen on a SUV.

If you look at your manufacture ratings on where your horsepower and torque is made, it is also higher on the RPM scale. this is not a bad thing. It is producing its power at its most efficient range. My 2000 is rated at 200 hp @ 5000 RPM. Torque is rated at 228 lbs-ft @ 3500 RPM. Most SUV's in this class produce their maxim power high on the RPM range. Fuel economy may suffer very slightly and maybe not, because the motor is not working as hard to maintain momentum. I have noticed that mine goes up hills, here in Montana, extremely well. Shifts down very seldom. I do like the way it operates.

Also, most 4-speed transmissions run like they have another gear because the torque converter unlocks in fourth gear and RPM's increase 500, until it needs more power, then it will shift into third. Some Third gears will work the same way fourth does with the torque converter locking and unlocking. What happens when the torque converter unlocks, the transmission is now allowed to slip more, to produce more power. When locked, it is in a mode like a manual transmission. Tried to explain this simply.

My 2000 MS LTD 4X4 has 20,000 miles and 19 mos of ownership. It has been a great vehicle, so far. I have been impressed. I am a loyal Toyota owner. This vehicle I took a chance over the 4-Runner, and have not been sorry.
  • dr_suvdr_suv Posts: 12
    For the past 3 days I have been driving a Rented Montero Sport XLS (Had to Deliver a couple of Computer Servers to a client and took advantage of needing the larger cargo area). Being an owner of a 2000 RX 300, I must admit the ride of the Montero Sport is impressive. It is very tight and responsive and the brakes are great. I don't care too much for the interior decor and I think the rear seat is a less comfortable than my smaller RX300 but it is a decent ride. I felt very in contol at 80-85 miles an hour and it was pretty quiet. I did notice the ear-piercing wind noise (open only rear windows) that some RX 300 ownwers complained about. Anyway anyone considering this truck, I give 2 thumbs up from my
    Rental experience.
  • I'm owner of a 98 montero sport LS 4x4, and just about to hit the 90,000 mile mark. After 3 years of ownership, I have never had one major problem with the SUV. Rides great, handles good, gets admired in parking lots, and beats looking like an Explorer or Blazer thats on every corner. My only negative feedback would be that it lacks power, considering now you can get a Ford Escape with a bigger engine and cheaper. Another comment I'd like to say is that when I approach 65mph or 70 cruising down the expressway, there becomes a wind noise from the right side mirror that is very distracting. Does anyone else get this problem?
    The days are numbered before I trade it in for a new 2001 with the special APR rates. Might consider the 3.5engine. Otherwise the Escape might win.... ugh.
  • dchyornydchyorny Posts: 47
    Have you reprogrammed your own vehicles' transmission? If so, has it made a big difference? Or did you just read this? Just curious, because I want to look into this. When did this "reprogram" come out. I have a 2000 MS XLS and would seriously consider doing this. In fact I will call the dealership right now. Keep you posted.
  • suepoasuepoa Posts: 7
    I'll be ready to purchase a MS XLS late this year but would like to know if I should hold out for a 2002 model or look for a good close-out deal on a 2001 if there isn't much change between the two years.

Has anyone heard anything yet???
  • I don't know about the 2002 MS but I just bought an XS 2 wks ago. I do over a 100 miles a day in my car. Early impressions - I like the ride. I like the placement of the controls. I am very glad I bought the XS because I think its underpowered so I don't even want to think about how underpowered I would have thought the regular MS would have been. Minor annoyances - lack of storage space up front(glove box is dinky), the big side mirror - it looks dumb and just wayyyy too big, the cloth upholstery on the doors and the armrest - these are going to be filthy within a year(and no I intentionally did not want leather) , the steering wheel vinyl cover stuff - its sewn with thread and is already falling apart in a couple of spots, the side step deals you get into the car with(don't know what you call them) just look plain flimsy and impractical - they are poles instead of having a flat surface, the tilt wheel control -who designed that crap????

I know this sounds like a negative review but it isn't meant to be.Overall I like this vehicle Its just little stuff that I don't think a $25K vehicle should have problems with. The major negative about this vehicle is the cheap uphosltery and cheap interior surfaces. . Having driven American vehicles for a while, I had forgotten how cheap Japanese vehicles' uphosltery was. BTW I don't believe I have ver recieved so many compliments on a vehicle as I have on this one.
    The TSB was done by my dealership. It is not just a plug in chip. The dealer has to change out a module and go through several steps to reprogram the transmission. Only a qualified Mitsu. tech is going to be able to do this. It will be covered under your basic warranty, if you are still in the warranty. This is for 99, 00, and early model 2001's.
  • kristine11kristine11 Posts: 1
    Last May, I purchased a used Montero Sport (1997) with 32,000 miles and in good shape. Two weeks ago, we found that one of the leafs in the driver's side leaf-spring broke and was making a terrible noise. We took it to the dealership and they discovered that BOTH leaf-springs needed to be replaced plus some other springs. Please keep in mind that WE have never taken this 4-wheeling -- we've never even had it off-road. But who knows what the previous owner did. And it only has 45,000 miles now. Has anyone else had problems with leaf-springs? The technician at the dealership said he has never seen such a thing with the Montero Sport. Thanks for your input!!!
  • wonder71wonder71 Posts: 2
    The air conditioner fan on my LS came lose and has been eating into the condenser for some time without my knowledge and now it has a freon leak and the air conditioner does not work. It only has 20000 miles on it. This should not be happening at 20,000 miles when I paid $26,000 for this vehicle. I noticed it after it started making a loud rattling/grinding noise that resembled the sound a car makes when the timing chain breaks. Very loud, sounded like thunder. Anyone having a problem with their AC who has heard this noise, I suggest taking it to the dealership and having them check the condenser and fan.
  • wonder71wonder71 Posts: 2
    for $26,000 buy a Pathfinder. Much more horsepower and nissans are always higher quality.
  • detngdetng Posts: 5
    Anybody install a sunroof deflector on their MS? i'm thinking of getting one, can't hear the stereo well with roof open above 70mph. Concerned deflector will cut into too much of the open sunroof. Thanks.
  • ghinsonghinson Posts: 36
    I love the look of the Montero Sport, but am scared by the review Edmund's gives it. I need an SUV that will also pull it's own off-road. So, has anyone gotten one and modified it for improved offroad performance? What does it need? Thanks.
  • bobertvbobertv Posts: 2
    Hi all,

My wife and I are considering the MS or a Pathfinder. They are both going to be second hand cars. We test drove a 2000 MS and really liked it, but we are afraid of the long term durability. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Rob.
  • lameslames Posts: 14
    I have the sport, and my brother has the Pathfinder. Both are good vehicles. My family has had two different Mitsu trucks, both went well over 125,000 miles before needing major repair. I think both will do you well, pick the one you like them most, you won't regret it.
  • cortneyscortneys Posts: 4
    I have been looking for a Montero Sport Ltd 4x4 for the past few months, I used the information provided in Edmunds pricing to give the dealerships offers and individuals offers for there vcehicles and have been laughed off the showroom more than once!!! It seems that the pricing is not realistic.. has anyone else used Edmunds.com to purchase a car.. I have looked all over and have yet to find a car that I like for the prices recommended.. I now have a chance to buy a 2000 MS ltd. w/17,000 miles for 21,900.. should I do this, because even Edmunds says this is too much for a private deal, when all the people I see offer the same vehicle for 26,000+++ .. It just doesn't make any sense that a 33,000 car would depreciate that much in less than a year.. PLEASE HELP!!!!
  • cortneyscortneys Posts: 4
    Every time I try and use the pricing guides, the salesman or individual is insulted.. Does not seem realistic.. Who here would sell there 33,000 2000 MS limited 4x4 w/15000 miles in a year for only 19-20,000.. The answer is you wouldn't that would be more than a 33 % depreciation rate!!! Anyway just wondering if anyone else has used the pricing side and had it work??? Seems that the real numbers should be a little higher and more realistic.. Maybe I just don't want to believe that a car can depreciate that much in a year.. What DO YOU THINK????